Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling centre prices in Clare

• 10-07-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Passed Scariff recycling centre today and saw there lovely new sign with prices for bringing waste (glass, metal, appliances, clothes etc.).
    The price for a pick up, van etc. is 90 euro.
    The sign did not say if it would be less if the van only had a few boxes of glass or plastic.

I cannot see the logic in charging these prices considering that most or all of what is collected has a re-sale value once recycled.

Surely this pricing policy encourages people to dump illegally or bury there own waste etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I live in East Clare too (close enough to the Tipp border :D) so I take my recycling to Nenagh where it is FREE!!!! :)

http://www.tipperarynorth.ie/environment/env_red_cen.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

90 Euro is indeed pretty steep!
    The price for a carload full of recycle stuff in a normal car is 5 Euro (in Scarriff). The charges are ridiculous enough, since it really discourages some people from recycling, as I can see along my usual doggie walking boreen :(.

What I do: I collect recycables in bags behind the house (nobody sees it but me and the cows) until I have a a carload.

Before the introduction of recycle charges I could bring a bag or box full of stuff whenever I had to go into Scarriff - and had a tidy backyard.

Nenagh would be a bit too far away for me, but might be viable for a pickup or van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The one in Shannon wanted to charge me ten euro for a half a bin bag of empty drink cans, soup cans etc. No way would I pay it so I just put it in with my regular rubbish.

These charges don't encourage the casual environmentally aware person to recycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

The one in Ennis up the Gort road is sound. I took a truckbed full of metal stuff there and they charged me a fiver.

I took a boot full of stuff last week and there was no charge. It all depends on what exactly you are brining. Electronics are all free, as are bottles, cans, batteries, etc.

They only charge when you bring in like a truck full of old baby stuff like I did sure. :)

It was all recyclable - from the wooden cot down to the buggies, bouncers, and other metal/plastic toys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

You should all go to binmaster...he charges 190 for 9 months and you get 3 big bins,brown,blue red....excellent service..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

littlemis wrote: »
    You should all go to binmaster...he charges 190 for 9 months and you get 3 big bins,brown,blue red....excellent service..

You can't very well put a cot, two buggies, three parasols, two old tellies, and a broken washing machine in a bin now can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭hogflem

well apart from the machines which would be covered under electrical recycling,were the rest of the items in such a BAD state that they could not have been given to a charity shop,or advertised as give aways...if they were not in a bad state then you could have saved some money as ,you say you were charged for them to be recycled...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

why do we pay taxes, we have to pay for everything!
    i remember it used to be free for your bins to be taken away in dublin and when they brought in a charge, my once tidy street became full of illegally dumped rubbish:(. the gov should include rubbish disposal as a service, it costs too much in the long run i think, or at the very least have these centres free:cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

why do we pay taxes, we have to pay for everything!
    i remember it used to be free for your bins to be taken away in dublin and when they brought in a charge, my once tidy street became full of illegally dumped rubbish:(. the gov should include rubbish disposal as a service, it costs too much in the long i think, or at the very least have these centres free:cool:.
    Wait until water metering is introduced, I reckon that very few people will bother washing out bottles and containers before taking them to the recycling centre.

Advertisement