Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't know what to do...

Options
  • 10-07-2011 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭

Basically, I got a tattoo just under a month ago, my second, and it's on my foot. I was delighted with it, it's exactly what I wanted, and is very pretty (will post a pic later tonight when I have access to a camera). When I got it done I was concerned about the positioning, as one side of it is going into the harder skin of my foot. However I was told it would take fine, he just needed to go over it a few extra times.
    That was fine till today. I did all I had to do, kept the film on for 2-3 days, am still keeping it moisturised with Bepanthen. I went swimming on Friday for the first time since and lathered the Bepanthen on afterwards, but now I've noticed gaps in the writing. I don't know what to do, should I go back to get it redone or wait it out and see what happens? It's really upsetting me cuz it means so much to me and I did raise my concerns. Sorry for such a long post :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Go back to where you got it done and show them. I'm sure they will touch it up for you. Nothing that can't be fixed easily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Who keeps telling people to keep the film on for 2-3 days? I leave mine on for an hour at the most and have never had any problem with any of my tattoos.

Go straight into the artist tomorrow and show him the problem. If he is any way decent he will fix it for you tomorrow or at least make sure you get an appointment to have it fixed soon. And he shouldnt charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I'm not living in Dublin any more so I can't head down till Wednesday, but I'll head in then and see what they say. It's mad how different my experience with this one has been compared to the one on my back, guess I should have expected it though. Thanks guys :)

Well I headed down today, they had no bother redoing it for free, apparently it hadn't healed properly or something, so second time lucky? :P

For any curious heads:

DSCF2459.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Well I headed down today, they had no bother redoing it for free, apparently it hadn't healed properly or something, so second time lucky? :P

For any curious heads:

DSCF2459.jpg

I like it, what does it mean?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Generally the issue of aftercare is a debate I stay well away from- because most people are either just doing what they were told (or what they think they were told) or else has their own way through experience that they're adamant about ....

... But in this instance I'd be inclined to echo the earlier poster who queried keeping the tattoo wrapped for such a long period of time. Might have nothing to do with your initial problem (more likely to do with the location and, dare I say it, the execution of the tattoo), but FWIW-

A new tattoo is basically an open wound. I'm all for covering it up on the trip home or for a number of hours, until you can clean it properly and be in a position to wash it gently a number of times per day. But keeping the tattoo wrapped beyond that point can be counterproductive. Yes, you stop obvious gunk getting in, but you also stop the location of the tattoo from breathing and expelling some stuff that's going to come out naturally, and you also create a clammy, moist area with some air trapped between the clingfilm and the tattoo- the perfect breeding ground for infection.

Others may have their own take on this, I've certainly met artists who work in Dublin who advocate keeping it covered for days, although I never got to the bottom of why that was.

killwill wrote: »
    I like it, what does it mean?

Together we're invincible :)
    Generally the issue of aftercare is a debate I stay well away from- because most people are either just doing what they were told (or what they think they were told) or else has their own way through experience that they're adamant about ....

... But in this instance I'd be inclined to echo the earlier poster who queried keeping the tattoo wrapped for such a long period of time. Might have nothing to do with your initial problem (more likely to do with the location and, dare I say it, the execution of the tattoo), but FWIW-

A new tattoo is basically an open wound. I'm all for covering it up on the trip home or for a number of hours, until you can clean it properly and be in a position to wash it gently a number of times per day. But keeping the tattoo wrapped beyond that point can be counterproductive. Yes, you stop obvious gunk getting in, but you also stop the location of the tattoo from breathing and expelling some stuff that's going to come out naturally, and you also create a dry, moist area with some air trapped between the clingfilm and the tattoo- the perfect breeding ground for infection.

Others may have their own take on this, I've certainly met artists who work in Dublin who advocate keeping it covered for days, although I never got to the bottom of why that was.

Yeah, I only did this because it was what I was told to do, for my first tattoo and for this aswell. But when I went back to get it redone I only kept it on till I got home as suggested, and it's early days yet but things are looking good :P

Hi guys, back again =/

It healed a lot better this time, but some of it did come off again, mainly where the skin gets thicker. Should I go back again? (I was told I could get it touched up for free if the same thing happened again) I don't wanna be going back for the same thing every month like, will it ever look the way it should? I'm so annoyed cuz I did ask if it'd be ok there, but blehhhh :P

Here's how it looks now:
    IMG_0117_2.jpg

As you can see it's mainly the G that's off, and kinda the w in wir too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hi guys, back again =/

It healed a lot better this time, but some of it did come off again, mainly where the skin gets thicker. Should I go back again? (I was told I could get it touched up for free if the same thing happened again) I don't wanna be going back for the same thing every month like, will it ever look the way it should? I'm so annoyed cuz I did ask if it'd be ok there, but blehhhh :P

Here's how it looks now:
    IMG_0117_2.jpg

As you can see it's mainly the G that's off, and kinda the w in wir too.
    Sadly, this is just going to keep happening. That skin just won't hold the ink properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dr.quirky

No expert here, my guess is same as Damo, id bet the skin just isnt going to hold the ink, thicker skin or skin that goes through alot of wear, hands/feet regenerates alot quicker so cant hold the ink. As i said no expert here, and of corse no one can know for certain exactly what might happen, but I thought the artist would of advised against the exact location especially as you voiced your concerns. hope you can get it sorted out :)

• Advertisement

Thought I had replied here :P

Yeah I thought as much as has been said. Well what's done is done. Gonna see if I can get the g changed a little so that it's not going down into the thicker skin, hopefully it won't look out of place. Thanks guys :)

Advertisement