Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of potatoes

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

iluvlamp and Honey-ec - lay off it, both of you. If you have a problem with a post, report it and then refrain from further baiting on-thread please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

If you want a lovely change head into a local Asian shop and pick up a bag if sticky rice.
    You have to leave the rice in a bowl of water for around an hour and a half before you cook it.
    It can only be steamed so no rice cookers and I guarantee you will like it if you like rice.
    It's fairly filling and is best to dip into things,role it up in your hands can be added with mango and coconut milk as a desert also but best savoury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Sneak a sweet potatoe into the vegetable press! They taste so yum and you can tell your mam that it's STILL a potatoe. I love them.
    You could also try butternut squash mixed with regular mashed potatoe. They taste fairly similar to sweet potatoe.
    I've also read about people pureeing (sp?) cauliflowed and using that as a mash substitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The girlfriend and I have been travelling around Asia for the past 4 months. Lots of rice and noodles..........

The Irish spud is one of the most glorious and delicious things that grows on this planet. Absence is what is required to rekindle your love of the humble tuber.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Peal barley is a great staple - especially good with stews.
    +1 on the quinoa .
    BTW cous cous is not a grain but rather like a type of pasta made from wheat flour.
    Bulgar wheat is also nice - quite like cous cous but with more bite.
    I love polenta. Nice allowed to cool into a cake and fried.
    When having rice don't limit yourself to long grain white rice. There is a world of rices out there, try them, look in your local Asian shop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement