Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

so if i spent less than 6 hrs over two days actually sitting on a motorcycle before i was told i wasn't good enough and had to pay for extra lessons the guy is trying to rob me right!

Be objective, were you good enough or were you riding dangerously/without care?

Since no one was there except you and the instructor the only thing you can really do is go to the RSA. He's not necessarily trying to rob you, he just doesn't feel comfortable signing you off as if you get in an accident he may feel it's on him for allowing you to pass when you weren't good enough.

I'm sure he didn't do it lightly, it's really bad advertising to not sign someone off, because they could bad mouth him on the web and lose him business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

so if i spent less than 6 hrs over two days actually sitting on a motorcycle before i was told i wasn't good enough and had to pay for extra lessons the guy is trying to rob me right!

The module times I gave you are minimums. if after the allotted time you are not good enough then that module can't be signed off and stamped. For example you could need 10 hrs in the
    compound. This would mean you have done 15 hrs without any road riding. You can't expect an instructor to give infinite hours if its you that was the problem.
    I'm not saying it was you but you should still have a log book stamped with the modules you completed. btw anyone can change instructors every module if the wish to but the next one may have the same opinion. It happens I'm afraid but some people get their mojo quicker than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

being objective i'm a beginner and i wasn't very good so probably deserved not to be signed off but if i'm spending alot less time on a motorcycle than i was supossed to how do we know that the 5 hrs riding that i didn't do wouldnt have improved me enough for a pass.
    i feel that my instructor cut corners

so my instructor did not fulfill the minimum time i was supposed to be riding before he made his assessment

being objective i'm a beginner and i wasn't very good so probably deserved not to be signed off but if i'm spending alot less time on a motorcycle than i was supossed to how do we know that the 5 hrs riding that i didn't do wouldnt have improved me enough for a pass.
    i feel that my instructor cut corners

Did he never let you out of the compound? Because if he doesn't think you're good enough for the road he's perfectly entitled to not allow you on the road.

You want us to tell you that he's a money grabbing piece of sh1t. But it's far more likely you were a danger to yourself or others. Since you disagree get onto the RSA and let them make an assessment of the situation. It'll cost 70 euro to have them do a modular assessment.

http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Initial-basic-training-IBT-for-motorcyclists/Commonly-asked-questions/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Often the forum has the same similiar queries about thinking of taking up biking. Here is a good article from Motorcycle Action Group Ireland on starting. Obviously there will be the odd question on what type of bike they should start on etc, but most information regarding the law, license, basic training etc are in this -

So you want to ride a motorcycle, and you are not sure where to start?
    The basic steps are 1) Do the driver theory test, 2) Get your Learner Permit, 3) Do your Initial Basic Training with an approved instructor, 4) Sit the practical test.
    Minimum Age:
    There are legal restrictions on what types of vehicle you can drive at what age.
    • 16 to ride a moped – Category M license.
    • 16 to ride a motorcycle with an engine capacity not exceeding 125 c.c’s and with a power rating not exceeding 11 kilowatts.
    • 18 or over to ride a motorcycle over 125c.c. but with a max power output of 25kw / 33b.h.p. or a power to weight ratio of 0.16kw/kg.
    Step 1: The Driver Theory Test
    Before applying for a learner permit, you must pass a test of general road safety knowledge and motoring legislation – the driver theory test. It applies to anyone applying for a first learner permit in any vehicle category. To quote the RSA;
    The test is designed to check knowledge of topics such as:
    • Rules of the Road
    • Risk perception
    • Eco-driving
    • Hazard awareness
    • Good driving behaviour
    Computer-based and easy to use, the theory test is designed for those who have little or no experience of using computers as well as those who do. You can do a practice session on the day before starting on the actual test.
    Apply by Phone;
    Driver Theory Service:
    1890 606 106 (English language)
    1890 606 806 (Irish language)
    1890 616 216 (text phone – for the hearing-impaired)
    Or by post;
    PO Box 788
    Togher
    Cork
    Cost is: €35.60.
    Step 2: Getting your Learner Permit.
    If you are applying for your first learner permit you must include a theory test certificate along with your learner-permit application.
    Note that these certs have a ‘lifespan’ of two years from date of issue, so you must apply for the Learner Permit within two years of date of issue of the theory test certificate.
    What is a “Learner Permit”?
    A learner permit is a licence issued to learner drivers. It enables them to learn to drive and to apply for a driving test at the same time.
    The learner permit replaces the old provisional licence, which is no longer issued.
    N.B: a Learner Permit is issued for each class of licence – so you need a Class ‘A’ permit for a Class ‘A vehicle. Class ‘A1’ permit for a Class ‘A1’ vehicle etc.

Don’t forget The “L” Plate. To quote the RSA:
    Drivers of vehicles in categories A(Motorcyle,no greater than 125cc), A1(Motorcyles) and M(Mopeds) must also display L plates at all times. The plates must be displayed on a yellow fluorescent tabard worn over the person’s outside clothing. The letter L should be at least 15cm high and appear as red on a white background and in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the person’s body.
    Step 3: Initial Basic Training (I.B.T.)
    From Dec. 6th 2010:
    All new first time learner permit holders for motorcycles are required to undertake Initial Basic Training (IBT) with an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI).
    The course is 16 hours spread over 4 modules. Once this course of lessons is complete the learner permit holder will be issued with a certificate which must be kept with their learner permit.
    • Motorcycle riders must complete the programme before driving unsupervised on the road while a learner.
    • Evidence of completing the lessons will be signed off in a learner’s logbook by the Approved Driving Instructor.
    • Evidence of having taken the lessons will have to be presented before taking a driving test.
    I.B.T. is done in four modules. The specific detail of these modules is as set out below. (Taken from the RSA information booklet)
    The IBT motorcycle training modules
    Module 1 has six objectives. You will need at least three hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Personal protective equipment (PPE)
    2. Introduction to motorcycle controls
    3. Technical checks
    4. Placing motorcycle on and off the stand
    5. Walking alongside the motorcycle
    6. How to start and stop the engine
    Module 2 has 10 objectives. You will need at least five hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Moving off and stopping
    2. Use of brakes
    3. Use of gears
    4. Slow riding
    5. Figure of eight
    6. U-turn
    7. Slalom
    8. Rear observation and mirrors
    9. Turning left and right
    10. Emergency adjustment of speed
    Module 3 has nine objectives. You will need at least two hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Legal requirements
    2. Rules of the road
    3. Being seen
    4. Road surfaces
    5. Road and lane position
    6. Rear observations and mirrors
    7. Speed
    8. Anticipation and reaction
    9. Weather conditions
    Module 4 has eight objectives. You will need at least six hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Gradients
    2. Junctions
    3. Traffic lights
    4. Roundabouts
    5. Safe distance
    6. Anticipation and reaction
    7. Pedestrian crossings
    8. Bends
    During this module your trainer will be in radio link with you from his/her own motorcycle on a public road. They will supply the radios. Please note: You may have to supply your own PPE for any or all of the training – please check with your trainer.”
    Restrictions:
    “A motorcyclist applying for a first-time learner permit is restricted to riding motorcycles with an engine power output not more than 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not more than 0.16 kW/kg. Such restriction applies for the duration of all learner permits and for the first two years after taking out a full driving licence in category A.”
    (For a full explanation of the 25Kw restriction, see the MAG Ireland Information Sheet 25Kw License Facts)
    A person who holds a learner permit in:
    • Vehicle categories A1/A and M (motorcycles/mopeds) is not permitted to carry a passenger.
    • Any vehicle category is not allowed to carry any passenger for reward. (So, you cannot work as a courier or pizza delivery for example.)
    Vehicles in categories A, A1 and M (motorcyles and mopeds) must also display L plates at all times. The plates must be displayed on a yellow fluorescent tabard worn over the person’s outside clothing. The letter L should be at least 15cm high and appear as red on a white background and in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the person’s body.
    Note:
    A number of penal offenses have been introduced for learner drivers. These include not displaying ‘L’ plates when driving, and the carrying of a passenger by a learner motorcyclist. These offenses are punishable by a minimum €1,000 fine for a first offense.
    The 6 month wait for a test:
    if you are granted a learner permit for vehicles in category A, A1, or M, and have not held a learner permit in the five-year period prior to the granting of a permit in any of these categories you cannot sit a driving test within six months of your permit coming into force, although you may apply for a test within this period. The code 991 will be printed on your license opposite the vehicle category in the column headed ‘restrictions/information.’
    The Practical Test
    The RSA has a written a very good article on their own website about the test – it’s here;
    http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/The-Motorcycle-Test/
    The test fee is now €75!!!
    So it only makes sense that if at all possible – you only have to do this once!

http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/getting-on-the-road/

Do you have to have the IBT lessons to drive on the road i.e I got my learners permit for my A1 license and was wanting to go to the shop on the bike but had no IBT lessons would I allowed?

Hey Yall wrote: »
    Do you have to have the IBT lessons to drive on the road i.e I got my learners permit for my A1 license and was wanting to go to the shop on the bike but had no IBT lessons would I allowed?

Go to the shop and buy the bike all you like, but you aren't permitted to take it on public roads (most roads) until you complete all of IBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MrShivers

Hi guys. I was comparing the transport between an electric moped and a car for college next year and was wondering how much insurance would approximately cost for 17 year old learner and how much would it cost in one or two years time when I have my full license? Thanks

Im not sure what they'll charge u. But i got 6 different quotes, i then played them off each other, finally i called adelaide who had quoted me 650 euro and told then aon had given me a quote of 490 euro ( a white lie) the guy asked me to wait and came back after awhile and told me he'd match the 490 quote, so all im saying is haggle them if you can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Ive always like the idea of learning to ride a motorbike. Im nearly 18 and will be going for an A2 permit if I do decide to go with it. I'm really undecided. Like I booked the theory test and got cold feet last month so I cancelled it. Ive a full B licence so its not like Ill be totally unexperienced on the road. My question and whats giving me cold feet is the cost involved. I plan on emigrating and definitely owning a bike in a Sunnier climate so Im not sure would it be cheaper to learn abroad (Aus or Can) or should I learn here so that by the time I leave Ill have a full A licence, I've no intention of getting a bike now unless I can get cheap insurance but Ive the LC this year so if I were to get the permit now my plan would be to do the IBT and get the full both next Summer and maybe a bike/moped then when Im working during the Summer.

Is the 6 month rule from the date of issue or the date you complete the IBT?

Would it be hard to get a full licence without owning a bike?

How much harder/easier is the test on the bike compared to car?

Could I do it all for under €700 (Theory test;IBT;pretest;test)?

Will a full A2 allow me ride a moped? Will a permit?

Is it possible to rent a bike for the test?

Would I be better off waiting for Australia or Canada?

Sorry for the questions but I know literally no one who owns a bike let alone the IBT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so.. might be getting my first bike at the weekend, mainly for off roading with friends although with an eye to doing small journeys back and forth on public roads too (once i'm all legal)

just trying to clear in my head what i'd need

insurance/tax obviously. tax is 88. insurance is whatever insurance is, 30 years old but never driven anything before so.. god knows. need both of these before I do the IBT.

need to do a theory test, 40 euro.

after that the IBT which is 400 (or 300 if I do a 1:2.. which I probably will do)

then six months waiting before I can take the proper test which is 85 euro .. have about 30 tabs open and im not going through them all to double check that.. Im pretty sure it's 85 euro

that's the basics of the legal requirements right? after that (or even before that, really) all I need is the safety gear which i'm not expecting to be terribly cheap either.

is that the basic gist of it? I thought I had a grasp on it but I've got so many tabs open I was flicking back and forth between them all and ended up confusing myself so want to get it sorted in my head so I can plan things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corkboy10

Can you tell me is a 650cc bike needed for the A test and is it difficult???

Thanks
    Corkboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1 burgerboy

What's the rules regarding mopeds? If I just want a learners permit for a moped and nothing else or higher? 49cc

burgerboy wrote: »
    What's the rules regarding mopeds? If I just want a learners permit for a moped and nothing else or higher? 49cc

Same process as getting an A1 Learner Permit really. Theory Test, Learner Permit, IBT, on the road. To the point that depending on your age you might as well get an actual bike licence because it'll cost the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MRFACE90

sorry if this question has been asked before, but im buying a new bike i have never driven a road bike but i used to motor cross every day so i have experience on a bike itself.I wanted to get a cbrf 600 but i have been told that they are very hard to drive and are uncomfortable(how true is this) but they are a lovely bike.I was told im best off getting a street fighter. id be using this bike for commuting as well as riding in general,any experienced riders have any suggestions. thanks

• Advertisement

Get your Learner Permit, do your IBT and know how to ride a bike before picking a bike. You want to be able to test ride it properly. Don't set your heart on something because of looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 EJ88

Right beginner here looking to start riding bikes, I'm 24, 25 in a months time. I can apply for the class A permit right now because I'm 24? Also looking for a bike recommendation around the €1500 mark. Help very much appriciated.

EJ88 wrote: »
    Right beginner here looking to start riding bikes, I'm 24, 25 in a months time. I can apply for the class A permit right now because I'm 24? Also looking for a bike recommendation around the €1500 mark. Help very much appriciated.

Get the permits and IBT done before even looking at bikes properly, you'll be tempted to buy too quick if you have the cash, you really want to test ride it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 EJ88

Get the permits and IBT done before even looking at bikes properly, you'll be tempted to buy too quick if you have the cash, you really want to test ride it.

I was thinking of doing the IBT in my own bike, a guy who works with me was a motorbike mechanic for 10 years so its not the test ride I'm too worried about.

I have a full car driving license and have been thinking about going for a motorbike license.

My question is, if i do the Theory test is the learner permit added to my current license with an additional fee then when i obtain a full license i would have to pay again to get that added? Or is the learner permit a separate document|?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

cisk wrote: »
    I have a full car driving license and have been thinking about going for a motorbike license.

My question is, if i do the Theory test is the learner permit added to my current license with an additional fee then when i obtain a full license i would have to pay again to get that added? Or is the learner permit a separate document|?

Seperate document with all the necessary fees. When you pass (hopefully) and want to add it to your full licence it's an additional 35e. It ain't cheap these days, when I passed they added it for free.

Thanks, yeah i only recently had to pay €35 to get a replacement card license and they took weeks. Rip off but what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭s14barnes

Drivers of vehicles in categories A(Motorcyle,no greater than 125cc), A1(Motorcyles)

Is this still the same now?

I'm 25 and looking to get a honda bros 400.. everyone says its learner legal..

Im confused on which one to go for?

s14barnes wrote: »
    Is this still the same now?

I'm 25 and looking to get a honda bros 400.. everyone says its learner legal..

Im confused on which one to go for?
    Go for an A Category Learner Permit and every single bike in existence is learner legal for you. As long as you can get insured on it...... (N.B. This does not mean every bike is recommended for you :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭s14barnes

Go for an A Category Learner Permit and every single bike in existence is learner legal for you. As long as you can get insured on it...... (N.B. This does not mean every bike is recommended for you :pac: )
    perfect thank!!
    so this isnt true anymore? The bros 400 is 33hp
    A(Motorcyle,no greater than 125cc)

s14barnes wrote: »
    perfect thank!!
    so this isnt true anymore? The bros 400 is 33hp
    A(Motorcyle,no greater than 125cc)

Nope, new licencing scheme means that you being over 24, you can get a fully unrestricted learner permit right off the bat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

When buying a bike do you need to send off the reg with your new name and address like with a car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

..Brian.. wrote: »
    When buying a bike do you need to send off the reg with your new name and address like with a car?

Not at all.

Well depends. If it's a gsxr 1000 you need to send in the reg with my name and address.

Quick answer is yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Hi all, hope someone can clear this up for me;

I have an old style first provisional license that's expired and I want to renew it (it's only a year out of date). I have the form in front of me and don't know which category to apply for. Can I apply for the A category learner permit? (I'm over 24). Will I be required to do IBT to get that license? When I want to do my test will the bike need to be over a certain power to weight ratio and is it ok to hold that A category permit and ride a bike that's in a lower power category.

I've tried to figure all this out with little success. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Hi all, hope someone can clear this up for me;

I have an old style first provisional license that's expired and I want to renew it (it's only a year out of date). I have the form in front of me and don't know which category to apply for. Can I apply for the A category learner permit? (I'm over 24). Will I be required to do IBT to get that license? When I want to do my test will the bike need to be over a certain power to weight ratio and is it ok to hold that A category permit and ride a bike that's in a lower power category.

I've tried to figure all this out with little success. :confused:

Apply for A (unrestricted) cos you are over 24.
    If you done no IBT already, you will have to complete IBT training to validate your new A (unrestricted) learner permit.
    You will have to do your test on an unrestricted bike that is at least 595cc and 40kw ( soon to be 50kw and min weight 180 kg)
    You can ride any bike from a 50cc scooter to a 1300cc hayabusa on that licence if you get insurance on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Apply for A (unrestricted) cos you are over 24.
    If you done no IBT already, you will have to complete IBT training to validate your new A (unrestricted) learner permit.
    You will have to do your test on an unrestricted bike that is at least 595cc and 40kw ( soon to be 50kw and min weight 180 kg)
    You can ride any bike from a 50cc scooter to a 1300cc hayabusa on that licence if you get insurance on it.

Thanks for that! No ibt done yet, I'll get to that as soon as I've applied for the permit

How long are learner permits taking to send out anyone know? 2 weeks today and still nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I think the average is 4-5 Weeks.

Ah, I must of read it wrong somewhere, I thought was 4 -5 days! Oh well! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

quick question. how big a bike can i ride with an A2 licence, and how different is the training/test for an A2 or an A licence?

been driving a scooter for the last 20 years, but never bothered to pass any tests as my riding was covered by my car licence. With the new laws, it looks like i need to pass some test or other. I looked at the website, but it's as clear as mud!!!

quick question. how big a bike can i ride with an A2 licence, and how different is the training/test for an A2 or an A licence?

been driving a scooter for the last 20 years, but never bothered to pass any tests as my riding was covered by my car licence. With the new laws, it looks like i need to pass some test or other. I looked at the website, but it's as clear as mud!!!

Up to 35kw on an A2 Learner Permit. or Restrictable to 35 kw from a power output of not more than 70 kw. Basically a huge load of bikes..

But given your age, presuming you didn't start driving a car when you were 3. Just get an A Learner Permit. It allows you ride anything you want for just a few hours extra. It's not much more expensive and if you ever wanna move up, you've saved money.

http://www.magireland.org/a2-license-facts/ That's a list of the bikes that can and cannot be ridden on an A2.

I'll stress though, licencing is REALLY simple for you, just go for the A LP and you're sorted. It's for young people it's complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Sorry if this has been done to death!

I have held a full car licence for donkeys years! I also have Category 'M' on it.
    I was thinking of buying a 50cc scooter for tootling around on. Can I just go ahead and buy one? I don't want to go down the IBT route and spend a shedload of money and time to get a proper bike. Had one about 20 years ago but it was on a provisional licence and I never sat the test (sold it to buy the car).

Is it as simple as that? :o

Sorry if this has been done to death!

I have held a full car licence for donkeys years! I also have Category 'M' on it.
    I was thinking of buying a 50cc scooter for tootling around on. Can I just go ahead and buy one? I don't want to go down the IBT route and spend a shedload of money and time to get a proper bike. Had one about 20 years ago but it was on a provisional licence and I never sat the test (sold it to buy the car).

Is it as simple as that? :o

Yes you can. Just remember that the restriction on the moped is
    - Mopeds with a maximum speed of 45kph and an engine size of 50cc or less

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Yes you can. Just remember that the restriction on the moped is
    - Mopeds with a maximum speed of 45kph and an engine size of 50cc or less

Great, thanks! Off to look at Neco and Tamoretti models!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Great, thanks! Off to look at Neco and Tamoretti models!

Don't forget about insurance.

P.C. wrote: »
    Don't forget about insurance.

Just filled in an online quote with AON. Bloody hell it's €337 :eek:. That's more than my car insurance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Might be an obvious question this, but as I have a full drivers licence... Do I need to re-sit my theory test to get a provisional bike licence?

barura wrote: »
    Might be an obvious question this, but as I have a full drivers licence... Do I need to re-sit my theory test to get a provisional bike licence?

Yes, you're basically starting off as a noob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Yes, you're basically starting off as a noob
    Such is life! Ah well, shouldn't be too bad. I should read up on it again. Thank you kindly! I'll save the "which bike should I get" question until I get my licence.

barura wrote: »
    Such is life! Ah well, shouldn't be too bad. I should read up on it again. Thank you kindly! I'll save the "which bike should I get" question until I get my licence.

You can get a "free" app for Andriod (and presumably IOS) called Irish Driving Theory Test with the rules of the road and allows you to choose the category you're going for. You can do a mock test on it for free but it's the same questions every time.

If you upgrade the app for €4 (well worth it IMO) you have a random set of questions relevant to your category every time exactly like the one you will do in the test center.

I got 40/40 a couple of weeks ago thanks to it. I just did a few tests every night for a week or two leading up to the exam.

• Advertisement

It might be time for a change.

This thread might take its place: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057065311

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jbdub

Hi,

I have a full driving licence since 2008, I was wondering what type of bike i'm qualified to dirve?

Thanks,
    James

jbdub wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a full driving licence since 2008, I was wondering what type of bike i'm qualified to dirve?

Thanks,
    James

Should be OK to go with a Hayabusa, great learner bike too :rolleyes:

jbdub wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,
    James

Exactly what license do you have?

And what does it say on your license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Can I do any IBT module without having done the theory or got a learner permit? Or must you have a permit.

Doubt it makes a difference but Ive a full car licence

• Advertisement
Advertisement