Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

cantdecide wrote: »
    So you've been on the RSA and NDLS website!!

As mentioned above, you'll practically have to go in for the full rigmarole and expense of getting the A in order to get the A2 full you need to get the 200 scooter.

If your last A provisional expired more than 5 years ago, you have lost the learner category and will have to start over. If your last A provisional was in the last 5 years, the story is more complicated.

Assuming you're a fresh start, the most straight forward method you'll need to;

- take an AM theory test,
    - go to the NDLS for the permit (for A and/ or A2),
    - do IBT and
    - pass your practical test (after 6 months of getting the permit and within the 2 year expiry of the IBT cert)
    - get full licence from the NDLS

There is a lot of scope for dragging the whole thing out but it's complicated and shur by the time you have IBT under your belt you may as well just go for the test and get it out of the way- it's doable- I passed my test after 7 months as a fresh start- it's only a question of approaching it with the right attitue...

EDIT: You won't have to go through a 2 year restriction period like you would have had to do in the past- as someone over 24 with IBT, you can ride anything you can get insurance on from the very start ...

All as above unless you held a category 'A' paper permit before IBT came in on 06/12/2010 & your last 'A' permit has not expired by more than 5 years.

Then you could go to the NDLS & get a category 'A2' permit with no theory test, you would not be required to take any IBT training for category 'A2' & you could take a test without having to wait six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 edomac

So my full A1 license stands for nothing,and I now have to start all over again..

edomac wrote: »
    So my full A1 license stands for nothing,and I now have to start all over again..

If your full 'A1' is still valid you can ride a bike or scooter up to max 125cc 11kw.

My A1 is in date, but the scooter is 200cc I've resigned myself to the fact that there is no easy way.

My A1 is in date, but the scooter is 200cc I've resigned myself to the fact that there is no easy way.

Old 'A' permit expired by mor than 5 years?

• Advertisement

afraid so, well over 5 years..

afraid so, well over 5 years..

No way around it so, get 'A' permit & complete IBT modules 1,3,5. for category 'A' then you can ride any scooter or bike unrestricted.

Just an update on the license front, spoke what a cheap in the NDLS this morning and he has informed me that I had my license before the law changed so all I need to do is the theory test and apply for my driver Learner Permit for the A no IBT needed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Just an update on the license front, spoke what a cheap in the NDLS this morning and he has informed me that I had my license before the law changed so all I need to do is the theory test and apply for my driver Learner Permit for the A no IBT needed...

I'm afraid that's wrong of him to tell you that. You are only exempt from ibt if you held an unrestricted provisional licence prior to Dec 1999 and never let it expire for more than 5 years.
    If you need a theory test then you are obviously starting from scratch again.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that's how it is.
    Please read page 16 of the ibt booklet you can find it here on the right hand side of the page.
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Initial-basic-training-IBT-for-motorcyclists/

Incorrect information from the NDLS, not unusual, you would have to complete IBT modules 1,3,5 for your 'A' learner permit to be valid.

• Advertisement

So your telling me that even though I held an unrestricted provisional licence prior to Dec 1999 and the cheap I spoke to in NDLS that checked my License details this morning hasn't got a clue ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

So your telling me that even though I held an unrestricted provisional licence prior to Dec 1999 and the cheap I spoke to in NDLS that checked my License details this morning hasn't got a clue ?

Yes unfortunately he is. If you had kept it valid then you'd be ok

Yes, if it is expired by more than five years as you said above, he is giving you the incorrect information.

We get it all the time, "the girl or chap in the NDLS centre told me no need for IBT or what is IBT or you can do your IBT with the receipt you dont have to have your permit, etc", they can give incorrect information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you're still in any doubt, I suggest ringing them back tomorrow and asking someone else. I'll eat my hat if you don't get a different slant on it every time you ring :) The truth is above though, you will have to start over if you want the A2 or the A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nutsy.jr

can you lane split/filter in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

nutsy.jr wrote: »
    can you lane split/filter in Ireland

You certainly can. As in it's not illegal, you do have Irish drivers to contend with though so proceed with caution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Just got the date for my test in April, and had a look at the log book for the bike. It has the allowed weight (section F.1) listed as 0kg. I know bike log books can be a bit ropey with details, but should I bring some other proof of the bike's weight (should be over 175kg) or are they generally grand with it?

FWIW the bike is on the RSA list (an XJ6 diversion).

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Just got the date for my test in April, and had a look at the log book for the bike. It has the allowed weight (section F.1) listed as 0kg. I know bike log books can be a bit ropey with details, but should I bring some other proof of the bike's weight (should be over 175kg) or are they generally grand with it?

FWIW the bike is on the RSA list (an XJ6 diversion).

If it is on the list they will take it without weight or power on the log book.

Has to be the exact model as on the list.

Roadcraft wrote: »
    If it is on the list they will take it without weight or power on the log book.

Has to be the exact model as on the list.

Exact model isn't in the log book, just says 'CYCLE'. It does list the kWh though, so hopefully they're ok about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Hi guys

Just got my learner permit and picking up my bike tomorrow. Trying to sort insurance on it now and CN just told me that I'm not legally allowed to be on the road until I have my IBT done. This was news to me, can anyone shed any light?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes that's correct

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Hi guys

Just got my learner permit and picking up my bike tomorrow. Trying to sort insurance on it now and CN just told me that I'm not legally allowed to be on the road until I have my IBT done. This was news to me, can anyone shed any light?

Yes, Since 06/12/2010 it became the law that all first time motorcycle learner permit holders must complete Initial Basic Training (IBT) before thay can ride on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mayotobo

hi guys,

recently drove two honda bikes, a cbr250rr and a vfr750f (on a private road). My first time riding a motorbike and to my amazement took to motorbike riding like a duck to water. So now I'm mad to get a license.

unfortunately I can't fully understand what the proceedure is or how long it will be before I can legally ride a motorbike. I hate asking on forums because it seems lazy, as if to say "do my research for me" but I've read a lot from various websites and cannot get the info I'm looking for.

I'm 23 with a full Irish driving license since 2009 and I'm wondering If I must do a motorbike theory test and can I apply for a permit for the class "A" license straight away?. Does the full driving license have any advantages when applying for a bike license.

the bike I'm looking to ride is a 98 honda cbr250rr 50 horsepower.

thanks for any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

When are you 24? You can get the 'A' (full power bikes) on your learner permit when you are over 24 so it may be worth working the process around when you will be 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Andrew Purfield

Hi

As I'm going to Vietnam in August/September but will be home for the summer. I'm advised at some stage over there I will need to rely on a Moped so having looked at the OP I would be after an Irish 'M' Category Licence which could be transferred internationally(fingers crossed) and would allow me drive a Moped.

I will be back in Ireland in Mid May and will set a Theory Test for late May if I can. I'm looking to do mine in the Drogheda or Balbriggan area.

Does anybody know how long it typically takes to get the Learning permit and 'M' Licence once you pass the Theory test? There can't really be a six month wait to actually sit the test can there?

Also anyone know a reasonably priced instructor in the Louth/Meath East/Dublin North area?

Anyways I'll be starting this process as soon as I'm home. All in all I hope to pass the Theory test, get my permit, learn to drive a Moped and get an M licence, if that's the right one for me, within the space of about 4 months...I just need to learn how to drive your average scooter/moped and be qualified to do so in a way that let's you transfer the licence outside Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I don't think you'll need a license in Vietnam to ride a moped. :D

Aside from that, for an M License here - eye test, theory test, learner permit, IBT, wait 6 months while you practice, then do your full test.

Test on friday -- for hand signals, the rules of the road suggest that hand signals are the same as on pushbikes, i.e. stick out your right hand for turning right. I've always thought sticking out your left arm bent up 90 degrees with open hand was for right on the bike (since taking your right hand off throttle completely while slowing for a turn is bad craic).

Which is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Test on friday -- for hand signals, the rules of the road suggest that hand signals are the same as on pushbikes, i.e. stick out your right hand for turning right. I've always thought sticking out your left arm bent up 90 degrees with open hand was for right on the bike (since taking your right hand off throttle completely while slowing for a turn is bad craic).

Which is it?

I was told right hand for turning right and left hand for turning left, nothing fancy.

Frigga_92 wrote: »
    I was told right hand for turning right and left hand for turning left, nothing fancy.

Would that not be a difficult one for beginners?

Aren't certain older Mopeds meant to be difficult to turn with one hand?

I watched a lot of people as a teenager on Mopeds drive up our old back road and most don't seem to do this when turning but they simply indicate if they have indicators or do nothing...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Would that not be a difficult one for beginners?

Aren't certain older Mopeds meant to be difficult to turn with one hand?

I watched a lot of people as a teenager on Mopeds drive up our old back road and most don't seem to do this when turning but they simply indicate if they have indicators or do nothing...

Well when you're sitting your test you should have experience and therefore not be a beginner.
    Anyway, I don't make the rules, I'm only relaying what I was told by an ADI.

Which is it?

Right hand to give turning right signal, left hand for turning left signal & slowing down signal or going straight ahead signal.

Would all be covered in a pretest lesson.

Frigga_92 wrote: »
    Well when you're sitting your test you should have experience and therefore not be a beginner.
    Anyway, I don't make the rules, I'm only relaying what I was told by an ADI.

Okay cheers anyways.

What about Moped lessons once I get the permit? Anyone know someone in the Drogheda/Dundalk/Meath East/Dub North area that offers them?

I googled and can only find overpriced 'motorcycle' crowds in Dublin.

I know what people are thinking: Mopeds are easy to drive-just like riding a bike with the brakes and right handle which is the reaction everyone I know is given me(like why would you need lessons you plank, just get the prov and buy a cheap one yourself over the summer...) but I'd like some lessons all the same just for practice's and safety's sake...

What about Moped lessons once I get the permit? Anyone know someone in the Drogheda/Dundalk/Meath East/Dub North area that offers them?

Try Peter at http://www.aaronridertraining.com/

I know what people are thinking: Mopeds are easy to drive-just like riding a bike with the brakes and right handle which is the reaction everyone I know is given me(like why would you need lessons you plank, just get the prov and buy a cheap one yourself over the summer...) but I'd like some lessons all the same just for practice's and safety's sake...

You must complete IBT before you can ride on a road, and before anyone will insure you.

Okay cheers anyways.

Do you have a full car licence?
    If you held a full car licence before 21/10/2006 it covers you for category 'AM' mopeds, max 50cc max speed 45kmh.

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Do you have a full car licence?
    If you held a full car licence before 21/10/2006 it covers you for category 'AM' mopeds, max 50cc max speed 45kmh.

Just replying to yourself and the poster above..

No. Honestly just looking for lessons once I get my hands on the provisional/permit and won't necessarily be 'on the road' as I'm only home for 3-4 months(people have just been giving me those dopey clichés about how 'easy' this is and 'what I should do is just buy one and practice'...).

I guess the best way to go about this might be looking for somewhere that offers Moped and Motorcycling lessons in a training centre-is that even permissible on a Permit or do I need to be 'insured' for that too?

I just don't want to be in a situation when I move over to where I'm moving where I haven't had at least a month or two of practice with a Moped/slower motorbike. There are of course in all likelihood buses and bicycles in Hanoi but depending where I'm living and where my place of work will be I might need to pick up a Moped at some stage.

No doubt equally as many people will come on here and say I'd be a dope to consider driving over there-I plan on getting the provisional as well as several lessons at home and sitting a practical test over there.

• Advertisement

No. Honestly just looking for lessons once I get my hands on the provisional/permit and won't necessarily be 'on the road' as I'm only home for 3-4 months(people have just been giving me those dopey clichés about how 'easy' this is and 'what I should do is just buy one and practice'...).

I guess the best way to go about this might be looking for somewhere that offers Moped and Motorcycling lessons in a training centre-is that even permissible on a Permit or do I need to be 'insured' for that too?

I just don't want to be in a situation when I move over to where I'm moving where I haven't had at least a month or two of practice with a Moped/slower motorbike. There are of course in all likelihood buses and bicycles in Hanoi but depending where I'm living and where my place of work will be I might need to pick up a Moped at some stage.

No doubt equally as many people will come on here and say I'd be a dope to consider driving over there-I plan on getting the provisional as well as several lessons at home and sitting a practical test over there.

Get your permit & complete an IBT course, training school will provide bike, insurance & gear. You will get practice off road in an IBT compound & on road on all types of roads.

Short answer: Unless you have an AM license already, you're not going to be able to get one in 3-4 months no matter what you do - there's a mandatory 6 month wait time between learner and test.

If you reckon a learner will do you for over there, then maybe that'll work. The "Expensive motorcycle training places" are all there is - I seriously doubt there are any legit places that'll do you an afternoon of pissing about in the full knowledge you'll go ride on the road - it's illegal without your IBT cert, which is the full whack 2 days and 400-500 quid.

FWIW riding a moped is nothing like riding a pushbike, the controls themselves are handy enough bit it's the roadcraft and observation and being able to use it safely that's 99.99% of what you learn. Only thing I'd say is see if anywhere will do a taster lesson on a motorbike, so you get the feel for it. I know the maynooth driving campus lads do it.

Short answer: Unless you have an AM license already, you're not going to be able to get one in 3-4 months no matter what you do - there's a mandatory 6 month wait time between learner and test.

If you reckon a learner will do you for over there, then maybe that'll work. The "Expensive motorcycle training places" are all there is - I seriously doubt there are any legit places that'll do you an afternoon of pissing about in the full knowledge you'll go ride on the road - it's illegal without your IBT cert, which is the full whack 2 days and 400-500 quid.

FWIW riding a moped is nothing like riding a pushbike, the controls themselves are handy enough bit it's the roadcraft and observation and being able to use it safely that's 99.99% of what you learn. Only thing I'd say is see if anywhere will do a taster lesson on a motorbike, so you get the feel for it. I know the maynooth driving campus lads do it.

Cheers for a very informative reply.

I've been talking to a lot of people over there, some of them Irish too about this..

Anyways I will get the Theory and the Learner to start with which might help us be permitted to sit the Practical exam for a Vietnamese licence over there..depending 'on my luck' as 6-7 people have put it...

As regards lessons I figure getting them over there will be cheaper. I have talked to a few Hanoi centres who offer courses in preparation for a practical test of sorts..

I might try the Maynooth lads though if they'll have me cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Vladpills

Hi guys,

Long story short, passed my theory, applied for licence, booked IBT for next week. Im looking to get onto a bike as soon as possible, as I need a new form of transport. Have the gear ready to go also.

First question; What bikes would you suggest to start looking at? Im 19, A2 learner licence, budget of about 2500-2700 euro. No bike preference at all, so long as it is reliable, and NOT a scooter.
    I was looking at Kawasaki Ninja 250R, which is in around my price range for a 08 bike, but theres only 1 or 2 of those up for sale. I was also looking at the 250 Yamaha Dragstar, which is also within my price range for the 2003-2005 years.
    Any opinions regarding those 2 bikes, or any more suggestions?

Second question; Does the year of the bike really matter? I mean, bikes usually have a hilarious mileage compared to cars, and are not that "worn out" mechanically. Should I keep my options open for bikes before 2003?

Third question; Im getting quotes from Liberty, for roughly 1,000 - 1,100 euro for both the Ninja 250R (09), and 250 Dragstar (04) assuming I will get a level 4 liberty assessment during my IBT, which is not all that bad, but are there any other companies I should look into?

Think thats all I have to ask for now,
    Please feel free to correct me if Ive said something wrong. Any advice and tips will be much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anyone recommend someone for the IBT. Over 24, 600cc. Think it's mod 1,3,5

I never bothered getting my full license and never did any training so don't mind doing it.

Did have a Virago, Zeal and SV back when I was on the bike. There used to be someone on adverts but he seems to be gone.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Anyone recommend someone for the IBT. Over 24, 600cc. Think it's mod 1,3,5

I never bothered getting my full license and never did any training so don't mind doing it.

Did have a Virago, Zeal and SV back when I was on the bike. There used to be someone on adverts but he seems to be gone.

What area?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

I'm 22 and currently have an A2 license since November 2014, I turn 24 in June 2016. Am I better off waiting until 24 then applying for A license or doing test now ? If i do the test now can I get a full A after I turn 24 or do I have to wait 2 years still ?

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    I'm 22 and currently have an A2 license since November 2014, I turn 24 in June 2016. Am I better off waiting until 24 then applying for A license or doing test now ? If i do the test now can I get a full A after I turn 24 or do I have to wait 2 years still ?

Your statement doesn't make sense to me.

If you are 22 and have an A2 license, then when you turn 24, you will need to do IBT module 5, and then apply for an A license. You can't do an A test now. You must be 24 for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Paulw wrote: »
    Your statement doesn't make sense to me.

If you are 22 and have an A2 license, then when you turn 24, you will need to do IBT module 5, and then a test for an A bike. You can't do an A test now. You must be 24 for that.

Yes sorry I mean I can do A2 test now but would I still have to wait 2 years after completing to get full A even though I would be 25? Or could I do A2 test now and do module 5 when I turn 24 and get full license still ?

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    Yes sorry I mean I can do A2 test now but would I still have to wait 2 years after completing to get full A even though I would be 25? Or could I do A2 test now and do module 5 when I turn 24 and get full license still ?

If you pass the A2 test, then you need to do IBT module 5 after 2 years of holding the A2 to move to A.

Or, after 24 get learner permit for A, do IBT module 5, and then do the test for an A, after 6 months having the A learner permit.

Read - rsa.ie/Documents/Learner Drivers/Third Directive/bikes_chart_3rd_directive_V2.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What area?

Oh yeah, D15

RasTa wrote: »
    Oh yeah, D15

Try Peter at http://www.aaronridertraining.com/

Not too far from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I did my IBT recently. It was my first time on a bike, I'm 33, and have an A category learner permit. After the two days, the IBT instructor graded me for an A2 bike. He explained that it's rare for beginners to be given a full power grade after the IBT.

I'm not particularly concerned, I won't be getting a full power bike anyway, and am happy to learn on the A2 bike, so it's not a problem, however from reading on the forum, I don't see any others who seem to have been in the same scenario. Is it common that with an A permit, the IBT instructor will only give out an A2 category grade?

Gavin wrote: »
    I did my IBT recently. It was my first time on a bike, I'm 33, and have an A category learner permit. After the two days, the IBT instructor graded me for an A2 bike. He explained that it's rare for beginners to be given a full power grade after the IBT.

Wow. Sounds like a money making racket, so you come back later to do module 5 to get your A permit. Maybe for your instructor it's rare, but from reading here, it doesn't seem rare.

I was new to a bike, 40+ yrs old, went for A, and IBT instructor qualified me on an A bike.

Gavin wrote: »

I'm not particularly concerned, I won't be getting a full power bike anyway, and am happy to learn on the A2 bike, so it's not a problem, however from reading on the forum, I don't see any others who seem to have been in the same scenario. Is it common that with an A permit, the IBT instructor will only give out an A2 category grade?

It\s absolutely not rare, you either get the grade you apply for or you don't get anything at all is how I understand it. Like paulw says, it seems likely he just wants you to come back and do Module 5 for the A again. Get onto the RSA at adi@rsa.ie and report him.

What bike did you do the training on? If it was an A bike, he has to give you the A cert as far as I know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement