Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Gavin wrote: »
    I did my IBT recently. It was my first time on a bike, I'm 33, and have an A category learner permit. After the two days, the IBT instructor graded me for an A2 bike. He explained that it's rare for beginners to be given a full power grade after the IBT.

I'm not particularly concerned, I won't be getting a full power bike anyway, and am happy to learn on the A2 bike, so it's not a problem, however from reading on the forum, I don't see any others who seem to have been in the same scenario. Is it common that with an A permit, the IBT instructor will only give out an A2 category grade?

Complete and utter nonsense. The whole point of the IBT is not how much power you can "handle", it is the basics of handling a motorcycle. That instructor has no business telling you what vehicle category you should be using given your circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

jimgoose wrote: »
    Complete and utter nonsense. The whole point of the IBT is not how much power you can "handle", it is the basics of handling a motorcycle. That instructor has no business telling you what vehicle category you should be using given your circumstances.

It is up to the instructor ultimately jimgoose due to certain factors or as they see fit but! There is very little between an A2 and A category infact some bikes used for the A2 are restricted bikes that could easily be category A also if unrestricted so I don't see why the instructor would do this if the op is over 24. It would be interesting to know what bike was used for the ibt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Roadskill wrote: »
    It is up to the instructor ultimately jimgoose due to certain factors or as they see fit but! There is very little between an A2 and A category infact some bikes used for the A2 are restricted bikes that could easily be category A also if unrestricted so I don't see why the instructor would do this if the op is over 24. It would be interesting to know what bike was used for the ibt.

Exactly. The make, model, reg and CC/KwH of the bike I did the IBT on is on the cert.

If it was an A bike, it should have been an A cert.

If an A2, the instructor had no intention of giving him an A cert in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Hmm, slightly concerning alright. I was on a 125 the first day and a 400cc Honda Bros the second day. (I actually found the 400cc easier to drive..)

The instructor explained his approach to me in the morning of the first day, and I just assumed that was the standard.

Gavin wrote: »
    Hmm, slightly concerning alright. I was on a 125 the first day and a 400cc Honda Bros the second day. (I actually found the 400cc easier to drive..)

The instructor explained his approach to me in the morning of the first day, and I just assumed that was the standard.

Maybe he didn't have an A bike for you. Seems bad form to spin you a yarn though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kman00

Howdy Lads!
    Ive been a browser on here for years but this is actually my very first post.
    Im 18 years of age and I have my Provisional BW Drivers License and an M Provisional also.

My cousin is selling his RS50 and I told him I would buy it, just one small problem!

Although the bike is 50cc, I know for a fact it can go well over 45KM/H. Does this mean I am unable to drive it, as the M License states that you cant ride a bike which can breach that speed! Im a bit new to the biking scene so any help will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

KMan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,566 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You need IBT, and for that bike an A1 licence not M

Check insurance quotes before you do anything else.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Im a bit confused... I'm living abroad at the moment and want to get my license when i return to Ireland.

I had provisional licenses and drove bikes between 2001 and 2006 (did the test, but was let down by a a ****ty bike rented from ism)
    I got a car licence in 2008...

Do I need to sit the theory test? Can i apply for a full license straight away (I'm well older than 25). If I do the test on a 150cc do I still get a full license?
    Am I entitled to a moped licence on my current car licence?
    BTW, i don't think I ever had to do a theory test.

I know these questions have been asked a million times, but I want to be clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I had provisional licenses and drove bikes between 2001 and 2006
    I got a car licence in 2008...
    Am I entitled to a moped licence on my current car licence?

The short answer is you don't have the AM entitlement- they didn't give it automatically after 2006.

If your learner categories for AM, A1 or A expired more than five years ago you're a fresh starter regardless of your B entitlement.
    Do I need to sit the theory test?
    BTW, i don't think I ever had to do a theory test.

If you've definitely never sat a theory test for any category (ie you got your first provisional licences before 2001) then yes, you will need the AM theory test. If you think about it and realise that you did sit a theory test between 2001 and 2006 then you might be okay for the theory test at least.
    Can i apply for a full license straight away.

They made me wait 6 months back in 2008 to do the A practical even though I had a full B but I understand that this might have been a mistake as I already had full entitlements so I can't advise you for sure on this one.
    If I do the test on a 150cc do I still get a full license?

If you want a full A, you need to bring a bike that conforms to the A category. However, you will receive full entitlements for smaller categories so if you complete the A2 test (on the right bike) then you receive A1 and AM automatically too. Honestly, it's nearly the same hassle to just go for the full A and be done with it. Especially because,

If you're over 24 (and since you need to complete IBT anyway) you are only restricted on bike choice by what you can insure! You're full power on a learner permit from day 1.

Do you know about IBT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

cantdecide wrote: »
    The short answer is you don't have the AM entitlement- they didn't give it automatically after 2006.

If your learner categories for AM, A1 or A expired more than five years ago you're a fresh starter regardless of your B entitlement.

They made me wait 6 months back in 2008 to do the A practical even though I had a full B but I understand that this might have been a mistake as I already had full entitlements so I can't advise you for sure on this one.

If you're over 24 (and since you need to complete IBT anyway) you are only restricted on bike choice by what you can insure! You're full power on a learner permit from day 1.

Do you know about IBT?

Theory test, learner permit for the category you want, IBT then 6 month wait and then do your full test.

Your B license makes no difference at all, except that you don't need an N plate once you pass the full test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sorry for the convoluted question, but I'm really struggling to get the information on my problem.

Basically I would like to get a small bike for my commute to work for dry days. Currently using a car but the better half could do with having that at home most days.

My issues are;

- I hold a full UK driving license from NI.
    - I can't convert to an Irish licence because if I do penalty points I got in Ireland 5/6 years ago will all be applied to my license in one go and I could be banned.
    - I can't apply for an Irish bike license with a UK car one.
    - I don't think I can get insurance in Ireland with a UK bike provisional.

I'm really at my wits end. The only thing I can think of is to apply for a UK Bike provisional and do my CPT in the North, then buy a Northern Bike and do my test there. When I get my full license then I think I can get Irish insurance.

Anyone had a similar problem or know a solution?

Edit: Just found out I can transfer licenses no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭venividivici

Had a chat with a nice lady from the ISM today and she explained the route I had to take as a complete motorcycle beginner. It was only when I got off the phone and began looking up the theory test that things got a little bit confusing. A friend of mine said he didn't need to do it because he had a full B licence pre 2006, which I didn't have, but I did have a provisional licence - I'm sure I read on here that that qualifies too?! My current licence(new credit card type) is just marked for Cat. B, and W of course, nothing about a bike - should it? I could just ring and find out on Monday but sure that would require patience!

Had a chat with a nice lady from the ISM today and she explained the route I had to take as a complete motorcycle beginner. It was only when I got off the phone and began looking up the theory test that things got a little bit confusing. A friend of mine said he didn't need to do it because he had a full B licence pre 2006, which I didn't have, but I did have a provisional licence - I'm sure I read on here that that qualifies too?! My current licence(new credit card type) is just marked for Cat. B, and W of course, nothing about a bike - should it? I could just ring and find out on Monday but sure that would require patience!

I'm not sure what the date is -- I did my theory test in 2006 and didn't have to do it again for the bike last year. Not sure if that's by design or because of a clerical mishap, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Noxdormus

Hello Guys,

I've some questions if you don't mind.

I would like to pass my driver license for car and motorbike category 125cc max

If I understand well, I will need to pass my theory test for car and then my theory test for motorbike ?

Then I will need to apply for Learner permit for both as well ? But for the motorbike one before to go to the road to practice, I will need to pass my IBT ?

Thanks in advance,

Nox

Noxdormus wrote: »
    Hello Guys,

I've some questions if you don't mind.

I would like to pass my driver license for car and motorbike category 125cc max

If I understand well, I will need to pass my theory test for car and then my theory test for motorbike ?

Then I will need to apply for Learner permit for both as well ? But for the motorbike one before to go to the road to practice, I will need to pass my IBT ?

Thanks in advance,

Nox

You only have to do the theory test and apply for the learner permit once. Once you make sure to put both license categories on the form.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your message

So for the theory test, I just need to choose a theory test for car category and then put the form for the both ?

Noxdormus wrote: »
    Thanks for your message

So for the theory test, I just need to choose a theory test for car category and then put the form for the both ?

Yes, as far as I know the regular theory test covers you for both. You then get a learner permit for B and A1 on the same license.

Thank you :)

I was thinking to buy an Honda CBR 125 2008 edition for 1000 Eur (25000 km and new tyres ) is it a good price and a good choice for a beginner ?

What I should check when I will inspect it ? Is the seller need to provide me specific documents ?

Thanks again

Nox

I have to correct the above. If you want A1 and B on your learner permit you will definitely have to do the AM and BW theory test separately. This wasn't always the case but it is now. The benefit being that if you move up to bigger bikes and bigger categories you won't have to repeat the AM theory test for those bigger categories

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kieran K

Hi, just have a few quick questions.
    I am looking into getting a bike to get to and from work. Initially i was going to go for a 125cc but was advised to start off small with a moped. Is it possible to go straight for an A1 permit and completely skip the AM, or do I have to do the AM for my Moped, and then in a year or two do another test for an A1 when I decide to upgrade to a bigger bike(125).
    Also in relation to the IBT, do you use your own bike or is it like driving lessons in that they provide you with one?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Kieran K wrote: »
    Hi, just have a few quick questions.
    I am looking into getting a bike to get to and from work. Initially i was going to go for a 125cc but was advised to start off small with a moped. Is it possible to go straight for an A1 permit and completely skip the AM, or do I have to do the AM for my Moped, and then in a year or two do another test for an A1 when I decide to upgrade to a bigger bike(125).
    Also in relation to the IBT, do you use your own bike or is it like driving lessons in that they provide you with one?

Thanks

A 125 is pretty small mate. Never heard one referred to as 'a bigger bike' before! :P
    Which license you are allowed to go for depends on how old you are. If you are young and can only go for A1, then do the IBT on a 125 and you will also be covered for AM mopeds. How old are you, how far is your commute and on what kind of roads?
    A school will provide you a bike for your IBT but it will be cheaper if you use your own.

DubVelo wrote: »
    A 125 is pretty small mate. Never heard one referred to as 'a bigger bike' before! :P
    Which license you are allowed to go for depends on how old you are. If you are young and can only go for A1, then do the IBT on a 125 and you will also be covered for AM mopeds. How old are you, how far is your commute and on what kind of roads?
    A school will provide you a bike for your IBT but it will be cheaper if you use your own.

I meant a bigger bike in comparison to a moped haha.
    I'm 20. My commute is from Bettystown to Ashbourne. So it's the R150 and then about 5 minutes on the N2. The reason I am going for a moped is for the cheaper insurance than a 125.

If i use my own bike (a moped) for the IBT than I wouldnt be able to go for the A1 unless I got one of the school, right?

Thanks for the help

I imagine a 50cc moped will feel very small and slow on main roads. Be grand for around a city(but I'd rather a bicycle for that!).

Are ya a budding biker or do ya just want transport? Because for the same money (on a school bike) you can do the A2 IBT at your age and have the option to ride a proper yoke and you'll also be covered for a 125cc bike or a 50cc moped.
    Of course there are bigger scooters, 125cc and even bigger. I don't know what insurance is like for these but might be an option for you.

Yes, you need to do IBT on the relevant size bike.

Do A2. Do at least the A1, if you already drive and have any road sense, definitely do A2 then ride whatever you like up to an A2 size bike. IBT is too much money to shell out just to get AM entitlement in my opinion.

DubVelo wrote: »
    I imagine a 50cc moped will feel very small and slow on main roads. Be grand for around a city(but I'd rather a bicycle for that!).

Are ya a budding biker or do ya just want transport? Because for the same money (on a school bike) you can do the A2 IBT at your age and have the option to ride a proper yoke and you'll also be covered for a 125cc bike or a 50cc moped.
    Of course there are bigger scooters, 125cc and even bigger. I don't know what insurance is like for these but might be an option for you.

Yes, you need to do IBT on the relevant size bike.

Do A2. Do at least the A1, if you already drive and have any road sense, definitely do A2 then ride whatever you like up to an A2 size bike. IBT is too much money to shell out just to get AM entitlement in my opinion.

Initially I just wanted transport but I'm getting more and more interested about them.
    I'll get a quote for a 125cc but I doubt ill be able to afford the insurance on anything bigger than a moped.
    Again, thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Initially I just wanted transport but I'm getting more and more interested about them.
    I'll get a quote for a 125cc but I doubt ill be able to afford the insurance on anything bigger than a moped.
    Again, thanks for the advice.

Go as big as you sensibly can. You'll be safer. Bugger scooters.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Go as big as you sensibly can. You'll be safer. Bugger scooters.

It's nearly the same hassle to get an A instead of an A1 or even an AM too.

cantdecide wrote: »
    It's nearly the same hassle to get an A instead of an A1 or even an AM too.

Im only 20, cant go straight for the A. Im going as big as i can afford, which happens to be a moped unfortunatly.
    Is there a big jump in insurance costs between a 50cc scooter and a 125cc bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Im only 20, cant go straight for the A. Im going as big as i can afford, which happens to be a moped unfortunatly.
    Is there a big jump in insurance costs between a 50cc scooter and a 125cc bike?

Why don't you ring for a quote? It only takes a few minutes and you'll get a more accurate response...

Why don't you ring for a quote? It only takes a few minutes and you'll get a more accurate response...

I did some quotes on the liberty insurance website, it turns out a 125cc isnt that much more expensive. If I was to do a monthly payment plan, it would only be €20 more per month for a 125cc. Looking at going to view a Honda YBR125 and a Suzuki Marauder 125 soon.

I did some quotes on the liberty insurance website, it turns out a 125cc isnt that much more expensive. If I was to do a monthly payment plan, it would only be €20 more per month for a 125cc. Looking at going to view a Yamaha YBR125 and a Suzuki Marauder 125 soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Hi

I have my bike test at the end of the month but my learner permit is about to expiry. I have no choice but to get a 2nd learner permit or I won't be able to sit the test.

I'm just wondering will I need to do another eye test to get my second learner permit?

PWEI wrote: »
    Hi

I have my bike test at the end of the month but my learner permit is about to expiry. I have no choice but to get a 2nd learner permit or I won't be able to sit the test.

I'm just wondering will I need to do another eye test to get my second learner permit?

No, just apply for a renewal as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

gerrowadat wrote: »
    No, just apply for a renewal as normal.

Great. Thanks for the reply.

Just realized I got the english theory test revision instead of the Irish one. No clue why they sell the english one in Ireland but they do. Anyone know if the questions would be the same or should I get the RSA one?

Just realized I got the english theory test revision instead of the Irish one. No clue why they sell the english one in Ireland but they do. Anyone know if the questions would be the same or should I get the RSA one?

Certainly not the same, stuff will be in mph for a start. You're best getting the RSA one if you're going to study for it.

I got caught with that way back doing it for the car - places like easons just stock the UK one because it's in their standard stock list.

I don't know why people bother - it's all in the Rules of the Road book which you can download for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭ronanc21

Hi , I am thinking of taking my theory test and getting a bike , i am 18 years old , but i am confused about the licence process in ireland slightly , can i only ride a category M motorbike under a learner permit or because of my age can i start off a specific category , any help is appreciated

ronanc21 wrote: »
    Hi , I am thinking of taking my theory test and getting a bike , i am 18 years old , but i am confused about the licence process in ireland slightly , can i only ride a category M motorbike under a learner permit or because of my age can i start off a specific category , any help is appreciated

You can go direct access to A2 at 18: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/bikes_chart_3rd_directive_V2.pdf

Thanks for clear it up

• Advertisement

Thanks for clearing it up

Would this mock (Irish school of motoring website, cant link because considered new user) and reading the rules of the road book be enough prep for the theory? Getting 39 out of 40 right consistently.

Would this mock (Irish school of motoring website, cant link because considered new user) and reading the rules of the road book be enough prep for the theory? Getting 39 out of 40 right consistently.

Yes. The theory test is a piece of piss. Just know your stopping distances in wet and dry, read through the questions to see if any of the answers surprise you, and use common sense otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

Just look for an opinion, I'm thinking about getting into motorcycle riding, more for leisure than daily commute and just weighing up the options at the moment.

I'm 28 and am not really looking for a beast of a bike, however am I better off applying for the higher categories of bike license straight away or should I go for the lower A2 and graduate to A in a couple of years.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

poggy wrote: »
    Just look for an opinion, I'm thinking about getting into motorcycle riding, more for leisure than daily commute and just weighing up the options at the moment.

I'm 28 and am not really looking for a beast of a bike, however am I better off applying for the higher categories of bike license straight away or should I go for the lower A2 and graduate to A in a couple of years.

Thanks.

'A' permit & 'A' training & then you can ride what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

Roadcraft wrote: »
    'A' permit & 'A' training & then you can ride what you like.

Thanks, that was what I was thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..apologies for not wanting to read 67 pages but.............my eldest is now at Theory Test age, and I have the 5th edition book & CD from RSA - is the 6th edition materially different/better - she is going for A & B test.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭zenith90

Had two separate cars slow down and wave me to overtake. I duly obliged and the cars continued on and returned to normal speed (50/60kph urban road) after I went past.

I put the first one down to randomness but a second happened within about 2mins only another km or so further on!

I'm reluctant to put this down to extraordinary courtesy, maybe someone who normally drives a bike in their car being unusually observant to bikes for a car driver in letting me past??

zenith90 wrote: »
    Had two separate cars slow down and wave me to overtake. I duly obliged and the cars continued on and returned to normal speed (50/60kph urban road) after I went past.

I put the first one down to randomness but a second happened within about 2mins only another km or so further on!

I'm reluctant to put this down to extraordinary courtesy, maybe someone who normally drives a bike in their car being unusually observant to bikes for a car driver in letting me past??

You might have been too close, or close to the line so you looked like you were going to overtake? Or you ran into some sound people :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I have a car learner permit at the moment, B & W. but I've just passed the car test and haven't exchanged it for a full license yet. would it be cheaper to keep the learner permit and add the A2 category to this learner permit and then go about getting it swapped for my full car one, and keep the learner permit? Rather than getting rid of it only to get another for the bike.

what I mean is, would it be cheaper to do the bike theory and add that category to my learner permit now before I get rid of the learner permit in exchange for the full car license. (I know I'll still be going through the full learner period on the A2, I just want to save money on adding categories and changing cars and all that)

I've just said the same thing twice arse ways but I hope someone can decipher it.

I have a car learner permit at the moment, B & W. but I've just passed the car test and haven't exchanged it for a full license yet. would it be cheaper to keep the learner permit and add the A2 category to this learner permit and then go about getting it swapped for my full car one, and keep the learner permit? Rather than getting rid of it only to get another for the bike.

what I mean is, would it be cheaper to do the bike theory and add that category to my learner permit now before I get rid of the learner permit in exchange for the full car license. (I know I'll still be going through the full learner period on the A2, I just want to save money on adding categories and changing cars and all that)

I've just said the same thing twice arse ways but I hope someone can decipher it.

Short answer: It costs the same.

Getting a new learner is 35, and getting a category added is 35.

So in your case it'd cost 35 to get a fresh learner permit with the A2 on it (then exchange for a full license and get a 'free' A2-only permit). It'd also cost 35 to get your full B, then go get a fresh A2 learner.

It looks like 2 trips in either case to the NDLS centre - although in my experience they're fairly sound about coming in with 2 forms.

What I'd do in your shoes is:
    - Do your A theory test.
    - Make an appointment online and go in to exchange your B learner for the full.
    - When you get there explain that you'd like a learner A2 as well, and have the forms and all ready to go separately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement