Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Short answer: It costs the same.

Perfect thanks, I've already booked the nearest date (4th august) so I'll see if I can get my A theory done before then if not I'll reschedule the appointment. thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

So guys, I am looking at trying to get started, I have my IBT done, so now I want to try and start building up my gear. No point in buying bike and not jjaving any gear. So I am going to try buy all my gear first and then look at a a bike. Trying to do this gradually.

So my question is when buying gear, second hand or online, do you generally buy a few sizes bigger.

So I normally take a 2 or 3 xl top, should I buy a 3xl jacket, or do I buy 4 or 5 xl?

Same with pants.

I am going to try and pick up some gear second hand to try and keep the costs down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

So guys, I am looking at trying to get started, I have my IBT done, so now I want to try and start building up my gear. No point in buying bike and not jjaving any gear. So I am going to try buy all my gear first and then look at a a bike. Trying to do this gradually.

So my question is when buying gear, second hand or online, do you generally buy a few sizes bigger.

So I normally take a 2 or 3 xl top, should I buy a 3xl jacket, or do I buy 4 or 5 xl?

Same with pants.

I am going to try and pick up some gear second hand to try and keep the costs down.

I'm sure a 3XL on one make can be different than 3 XL on another make. If you're near Dublin then go into bikeworld or cotters and try on the whole kit. Remember to account for what you would typically wear underneath including winter time. If you settle on what you like then maybe jot down the make model and sizes and order online or see if u can get a discount for buying the whole set. I think it's been said here that cotters is a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Blah-XL means essentially nothing. I take a 5XL oxford jacket, and I've never even seen a 5XL piece of clothing before, let alone worn one :-)

Best bet is as the other poster says, head into a brick and mortar place and try stuff on to know your size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I'm sure a 3XL on one make can be different than 3 XL on another make. If you're near Dublin then go into bikeworld or cotters and try on the whole kit. Remember to account for what you would typically wear underneath including winter time. If you settle on what you like then maybe jot down the make model and sizes and order online or see if u can get a discount for buying the whole set. I think it's been said here that cotters is a lot cheaper.

I actually called out to both those places today, but they were so busy, I didn't want to hold them up for so long when I honestly don't have a clue.
    I might go out some time when its quieter.
    Then went to bikeworld after cotters, the prices of everything in there was ridiculous, so didn't even bother trying to speak to anyone.

I did my theory at short notice on the first of august and passed 38/40 and went in to the ndls on the 4th (yesterday). sent off the form for the full driver license and the provisional bike A2 (since I'm 20). Cost 90 euro. They also had to do a lot of messing around on the computer for some reason and added BE for a trailer to the full license as that wasn't on my provisional.
    Next step anyway is waiting for the provisional to arrive then figure out the story with the IBT. Expensive couple of days between the 45 for the theory test and 35 for provisional but that's only the start of the costs involved I suppose.

Fitted myself for a helmet there recently too 55-56 cm / Small. That's about as tight as I can go and there's no movement so I'd say I've just got a small head. Also learned how to tighten the strap underneath properly. I'm half way there now Id say :pac:

The guy in the ndls centre very nearly accidentally gave me an A provisional but then realised he couldn't, would've been handy ;)

Am I right in thinking now all I have to do is the IBT, wait 6 months from the issuing of my provisional then do the test, then wait two years on the full A2 and do the module 5 to get onto the full A?

I did my theory at short notice on the first of august and passed 38/40 and went in to the ndls on the 4th (yesterday). sent off the form for the full driver license and the provisional bike A2 (since I'm 20). Cost 90 euro. They also had to do a lot of messing around on the computer for some reason and added BE for a trailer to the full license as that wasn't on my provisional.
    Next step anyway is waiting for the provisional to arrive then figure out the story with the IBT. Expensive couple of days between the 45 for the theory test and 35 for provisional but that's only the start of the costs involved I suppose.

Fitted myself for a helmet there recently too 55-56 cm / Small. That's about as tight as I can go and there's no movement so I'd say I've just got a small head. Also learned how to tighten the strap underneath properly. I'm half way there now Id say :pac:

The guy in the ndls centre very nearly accidentally gave me an A provisional but then realised he couldn't, would've been handy ;)

Am I right in thinking now all I have to do is the IBT, wait 6 months from the issuing of my provisional then do the test, then wait two years on the full A2 and do the module 5 to get onto the full A?

You're on your way now, good show. The big money hit is the IBT though :-)

Yeah, once you get your full A2 it's 2 years and then IBT module 5 on an A bike to get the full A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

They also had to do a lot of messing around on the computer for some reason and added BE for a trailer to the full license as that wasn't on my provisional.

Are you sure they weren't adding BE to your new provisional? There's no way you have a full entitlement for BE unless you passed either a BE or CE test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Expensive couple of days between the 45 for the theory test and 35 for provisional but that's only the start of the costs involved I suppose.
    If you thought the 80 quid was expensive...may lord have mercy!

:pac:

cantdecide wrote: »
    Are you sure they weren't adding BE to your new provisional? There's no way you have a full entitlement for BE unless you passed either a BE or CE test.
    maybe I'm mixed up with be, what's the one for a trailer on a normal car? the guy said everyone normally gets it I said stick it on for the laugh
    Taylor365 wrote: »
    If you thought the 80 quid was expensive...may lord have mercy!

:pac:
    I've gone through the 12 lessons for the car and paid over 2 grand for this years car insurance, at this point paying 600 quid for ibt actually seems like there's some value for money in it :(

• Advertisement

maybe I'm mixed up with be, what's the one for a trailer on a normal car? the guy said everyone normally gets it I said stick it on for the laugh

Huh, goes to show what the lads on the desks know - BE is usually a separate test with a horsebox on the car.

Huh, goes to show what the lads on the desks know - BE is usually a separate test with a horsebox on the car.

He did very nearly give me the A provisional too so it could have been his first day or something. I'll have to see when the license comes, maybe BE will be on the provisional. It was confusing the way they did it so it could go either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah but anyone* with a full B can get a BE learner permit, so if they're getting a bike LP they might as well get BE put on it as well.

A separate test is needed to get the full BE, all right.

* can't remember if there's a requirement to have held the full B for a year or something.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Yeah but anyone* with a full B can get a BE learner permit, so if they're getting a bike LP they might as well get BE put on it as well.

A separate test is needed to get the full BE, all right.

* can't remember if there's a requirement to have held the full B for a year or something.

Yeah, reckon putting BE on the learner is what he meant.

Just a little thought that came through my head when I was out on the bike at the weekend. I have a full car licence and a learner A licence. What happens if I get points on the bike? Do the points get carried over to my car licence and vise versa? Am I restricted to the seven point disqualification rule?

Yeah, reckon putting BE on the learner is what he meant.
    Got the licenses yesterday, BE is on the provisional like you said.
    AM, A1, A2, BE provisional
    B, W full

going to faugheen at the weekend for a look too

MAXFANTANA wrote: »
    Just a little thought that came through my head when I was out on the bike at the weekend. I have a full car licence and a learner A licence. What happens if I get points on the bike? Do the points get carried over to my car licence and vise versa? Am I restricted to the seven point disqualification rule?

points apply to you via the driver number. So if you get more than 7 points you lose the learner. And yes, they apply to any vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Am I missing any bike insurers form the list below?

The ones I'm aware of are:
    • Axa
    • CN
    • Adelaide
    • Principal
    • MCE Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

KonFusion wrote: »
    Am I missing any bike insurers form the list below?

The ones I'm aware of are:
    • Axa
    • CN
    • Adelaide
    • Principal
    • MCE Ireland

Liberty ?

Generally pretty competitive for first time riders as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Liberty ?

Generally pretty competitive for first time riders as well!

Ah, I thought Liberty was no longer operating.

Their online quote thing said they weren't doing new quotes, so I just presumed...

KonFusion wrote: »
    Ah, I thought Liberty was no longer operating.

Their online quote thing said they weren't doing new quotes, so I just presumed...

Not sure if this link will work but I was able to use it to start there online quoting process.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Whoever you do your IBT with ask if they do assessments generally they'll do it for free included in the IBT. You should manage a level 3 no bother or a level 4 if you piss them off. This will get you 15-20 % off from liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Wottle

Hi all, I'm 36 and have had a full A1 licence since 2004. I've had a 125cc but am now looking for sth a little bigger, no more than 350cc-400cc. .
    Not sure what it is I have to do, I think I need an A2 licence but am I allowed to just apply for a full licence because I've had the A1 for more than 2years? and if so can someone point me to a link with correct form?
    I'm lost and have found it a bit frustrating getting my head around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Wottle wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm 36 and have had a full A1 licence since 2004. I've had a 125cc but am now looking for sth a little bigger, no more than 350cc-400cc. .
    Not sure what it is I have to do, I think I need an A2 licence but am I allowed to just apply for a full licence because I've had the A1 for more than 2years? and if so can someone point me to a link with correct form?
    I'm lost and have found it a bit frustrating getting my head around it.

I believe you can apply for an A2 learner permit and complete Initial Basic Training (IBT) and obtain your full A2 via what's known as "Progressive Access", i.e. no test required. However, you'll have to do a test eventually if you want a full A without any restriction nonsense at all, and if I were you at you're age I'd just do that now and to hell with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

jimgoose wrote: »
    I believe you can apply for an A2 learner permit and complete Initial Basic Training (IBT) and obtain your full A2 via what's known as "Progressive Access", i.e. no test required. However, you'll have to do a test eventually if you want a full A without any restriction nonsense at all, and if I were you at you're age I'd just do that now and to hell with it.

Yes, progressive access is a possibility but I do agree that for all the hassle, it's nearly the same effort to just go unrestricted A permit, IBT, practical and ride into the sunset. If you've got road craft and the even having the gear to hand will make things infinitely doable compared to a raw noob.

@OP, you may or may not have to complete the theory test too depending on if and when you did it last and for what categories you got it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭p_o_s_t_y

Hi everyone,I am 35,full car driving licence,I'm looking to buy a bike and eventually turn it into a cafe racer,I have no motorbike experience,any recommendations on a bike to convert?,is it a massive task to take on without any prior knowledge,I am hoping to buy the bike and convert it over 13 year timeframe,thanks in advance for your help
    Regards

p_o_s_t_y wrote: »
    Hi everyone,I am 35,full car driving licence,I'm looking to buy a bike and eventually turn it into a cafe racer,I have no motorbike experience,any recommendations on a bike to convert?,is it a massive task to take on without any prior knowledge,I am hoping to buy the bike and convert it over 13 year timeframe,thanks in advance for your help
    Regards
    Cafe racers have always been the prettiest looking bikes to me! Aside from actually buying one I know there are a few common models that people normally convert. Some pretty good guidelines here for picking out a bike to mod as well.

I know there are mod-kits out there that you buy and just fit to your bike to transform it (normally tank, tail piece etc). Wouldn't be my cup-of tea but if you dont have much experience working on a bike then it might be ideal!

If It were me and I was just starting out id definitly look into buying a cafe racer as opposed to creating my own. A lot of hard work, time & headaches! Might end up putting you off biking if you wernt carful!

Howdy lads,

Quick question: I presume the first step in getting on the road in a motorbike is the same as a normal car: Theory test?

Can I ask; if I do the theory test, does this also work like a car? (ie; am I legally allowed ride a bike with just a theory test/provisional license)?

Pretty much, I've always had a mild interest in getting a bike. No real interest in motorbikes as such, but just always wanted to get one just to do it (same as wanting to drive an articulated truck, etc.). I do a bit of real estate photography that could take me halfway around the country and would be out on the road in a car for 12 hours days, about 6-8 days in a row. I reckon having a motorbike (skipping traffic at lights, filtering on motorways, etc.) would drastically save time. I was considering picking one up on the cheap, getting the provisional, 2-3 lessons under the belt (to find my way), and then trialling it for a week to see if it's worthwhile (may miss the creature comforts of a car).

Just not sure if I'd be going about it the right way.

Also, would I be right in assuming you can use a satnav on a bike? (presumably you'd need some kinda weatherproof bag for it?).

Howdy lads,

Quick question: I presume the first step in getting on the road in a motorbike is the same as a normal car: Theory test?

Can I ask; if I do the theory test, does this also work like a car? (ie; am I legally allowed ride a bike with just a theory test/provisional license)?

Pretty much, I've always had a mild interest in getting a bike. No real interest in motorbikes as such, but just always wanted to get one just to do it (same as wanting to drive an articulated truck, etc.). I do a bit of real estate photography that could take me halfway around the country and would be out on the road in a car for 12 hours days, about 6-8 days in a row. I reckon having a motorbike (skipping traffic at lights, filtering on motorways, etc.) would drastically save time. I was considering picking one up on the cheap, getting the provisional, 2-3 lessons under the belt (to find my way), and then trialling it for a week to see if it's worthwhile (may miss the creature comforts of a car).

Just not sure if I'd be going about it the right way.

Also, would I be right in assuming you can use a satnav on a bike? (presumably you'd need some kinda weatherproof bag for it?).

You need to do IBT training, which is 2 full days of training that'll run you 400-500 quid I'm afraid. That plus your provisional is what'll get you on the road (aside from the whole having a bike to ride and gear and etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Theory test, learner permit, IBT - and then you can ride on the road. After 6 months you can then apply for your full test. Of course, while a learner, you can't use motorways.

IBT, gear, bike ... you need a bit of initial investment to just get on the road. And yes, you can use a satnav. Some bikes have them attached, and some helmets can have bluetooth headsets within, so you can hear the satnav. :D

• Advertisement

I do a bit of real estate photography that could take me halfway around the country and would be out on the road in a car for 12 hours days, about 6-8 days in a row. I reckon having a motorbike (skipping traffic at lights, filtering on motorways, etc.) would drastically save time.

Something to keep in mind but I dunno how Id feel about riding say 10 hours a day (assuming you could save 2 hours by filtering etc) for 6-8 days if I was only starting out! Your arse would be raw red after the first two days:pac:. But it would be a much more enjoyable alternative to the car, especially if the weather was good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Pretty much, I've always had a mild interest in getting a bike. No real interest in motorbikes as such, but just always wanted to get one just to do it (same as wanting to drive an articulated truck, etc.). I do a bit of real estate photography that could take me halfway around the country and would be out on the road in a car for 12 hours days, about 6-8 days in a row.

If I were you, I'd be looking at a half-decent sports tourer such as a VFR800, ST1300 or even the mighty ZZ-R1400. These will accommodate satnav as well as a decent amount of luggage/equipment and you can run all day and all night in comfort. These are serious machines, though! :D

Would €1,000-€2,000 put me on the road with a bike with some decent power in it (by decent power, I mean an actual motorbike, and not an electric bicycle or moped that'd be lucky to reach 40km/h :P ) and the relevant license in my pocket?

The bike itself, gear, etc. are things I'm not fused about. I'll take the cheapest possible route with those, as after a week, I may decide it's not working and drop it altogether.

I don't mind paying out for the necessary lessons/license etc. as those will most likely be valid for years to come and shall I ever wish to be a recreational biker, I can still use them (like having my Driver's license valid for 10 years).

I suppose the next real question I have is; If I lived in Drogheda (but happy to travel to Dundalk, North Dublin, Meath etc. anywhere within an hour or so) can any of ye recommend a good place for IBT, and do you need your own bike for IBT or can you get a lend of one of a tutor? Also is IBT a one-on-one thing, or a group/class effort? (I'd rather learn on my own, like driving).

My obvious fear is falling over and damaging someone's bike, so I'd ideally like a tutor/school with learner bikes that they don't mind getting a small bang or two, or that were bought for the purpose of just training people).

jimgoose wrote: »
    If I were you, I'd be looking at a half-decent sports tourer such as a VFR800, ST1300 or even the mighty ZZ-R1400. These will accommodate satnav as well as a decent amount of luggage/equipment and you can run all day and all night in comfort. These are serious machines, though! biggrin.png

Don't know the first thing about bikes, but something like this would be ideal, I'd imagine? Big seat, luggage box,etc.?

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-deauville-2002bonus-very-rare-vintage-moped/10306650?sv=true

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Something to keep in mind but I dunno how Id feel about riding say 10 hours a day (assuming you could save 2 hours by filtering etc) for 6-8 days if I was only starting out! Your arse would be raw red after the first two days:pac:. But it would be a much more enjoyable alternative to the car, especially if the weather was good!

Ah I'd know after a day or two if I was gonna stick with it or not, though. This is why i don't want to spend mad money on it, but at the same time, I'll take a punt!

I'd hope that over the course of 4-5 days, I'd knock a day off altogether.

Would €1,000-€2,000 put me on the road with a bike with some decent power in it (by decent power, I mean an actual motorbike, and not an electric bicycle or moped that'd be lucky to reach 40km/h :P ) and the relevant license in my pocket?

The bike itself, gear, etc. are things I'm not fused about. I'll take the cheapest possible route with those, as after a week, I may decide it's not working and drop it altogether.

I don't mind paying out for the necessary lessons/license etc. as those will most likely be valid for years to come and shall I ever wish to be a recreational biker, I can still use them (like having my Driver's license valid for 10 years).

I suppose the next real question I have is; If I lived in Drogheda (but happy to travel to Dundalk, North Dublin, Meath etc. anywhere within an hour or so) can any of ye recommend a good place for IBT, and do you need your own bike for IBT or can you get a lend of one of a tutor? Also is IBT a one-on-one thing, or a group/class effort? (I'd rather learn on my own, like driving).

My obvious fear is falling over and damaging someone's bike, so I'd ideally like a tutor/school with learner bikes that they don't mind getting a small bang or two, or that were bought for the purpose of just training people).

Budget 700 quid just to get your license and IBT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaGYbyGJPuM

Another 1300 on top of that will get you a banger and some gear. I'd budget 2k or so just for a bike (deauvilles that you link are grand, there are a few things to check but you can find grnd ones for around that). Budget 500 or so for gear, don't skimp. motorcycleshop.ie are doing a spada deal for starters still I think.

Absolute minimum without compromising your safety going from scratch is 3.5k I'd say.

Unlikely. A decent bike would cost you that.

Gear could run you around €500, even for the cheap stuff. But, do you want to trust your life to cheap gear and helmet??
    I suppose the next real question I have is; If I lived in Drogheda (but happy to travel to Dundalk, North Dublin, Meath etc. anywhere within an hour or so) can any of ye recommend a good place for IBT, and do you need your own bike for IBT or can you get a lend of one of a tutor?

I did my IBT with Peter Bookey of http://www.aaronridertraining.com/

Yep, normally you use a school bike. Ideally you have your own gear though. Most lessons are one to one. Some can be one to two, which will reduce cost, but it's not a class thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Hi folks, I'm looking at getting my licence and possibly buying a bike in the next few months if I can,
    The IBT is still confusing me a bit, I'm 30 so I think I can go for a full A straight away, if I go for an A2 IBT do I have the 2 year restriction even though I'm 30?
    It looks like to me I can get an A IBT and ride any bike at all or an A2 and be restricted for 2 years?!, is that correct?

I assume insurance limits what I can buy anyway? I remember a quote of £6800 for an rs125 when I was 18!

You need to do the bike theory test, get the A provisional, the IBT for an A bike and then you can ride on the road for 6 months (not on motorways because you'll be a learner still) then do your test and if you pass you'll have a full unrestricted A license.

your insurance won't be that bad anyway 7k was probably their fcuk off price :D

bladebrew wrote: »
    The IBT is still confusing me a bit, I'm 30 so I think I can go for a full A straight away, if I go for an A2 IBT do I have the 2 year restriction even though I'm 30?

Get your A learner permit, and do the full A license IBT. Then apply for your A test. That way you are totally unrestricted in what you can ride. No point in wasting time and money doing the A2 and then looking to update to A in future.

Your insurance shouldn't be that crazy now that you're 30. At 18 they will give you a mad price.

Hi folks, I'm looking at getting my licence and possibly buying a bike in the next few months if I can,
    It looks like to me I can get an A IBT and ride any bike at all or an A2 and be restricted for 2 years?!, is that correct?

I assume insurance limits what I can buy anyway? I remember a quote of £6800 for an rs125 when I was 18!

Yep, you're correct. Get the full A - there's literally no reason why you'd get an A2 if you're over 24.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Thanks for the quick replies, would it be normal for an instructor to have an A bike to rent for the test? Is that what people do?
    I'm not sure what bike to buy to start,but looking at the RSA list I reckon it would fit in A2 or A1 category, I had a scooter for years so the jump even to 600cc looks big!

That's actually a good question, also - Are any of ye insured on a car and bike together? Are you using separate policies or are you able to lump the two of them together? (is there an insurer that would offer this?).

Also, is the bike theory test book/cd the same as the car one? I presume I could pick this up in waterstones or such handy enough? (Drogheda doesn't have an Eason anymore, which is where i got my old car one :o )

Paulw wrote: »
    Unlikely. A decent bike would cost you that.

Gear could run you around €500, even for the cheap stuff. But, do you want to trust your life to cheap gear and helmet??

So would a budget breakdown like this seem realistic:
    License: €100, Gear: €500, IBT: €500, Cheapo Bike: €1,400, Total: €2,500?

I did my IBT with Peter Bookey of http://www.aaronridertraining.com/

Says Navan there, which is only around the corner from me, so that seems ideal enough. :) I presume you have to have passed the test and hold a provisional license before you'll be entertained at IBT?

Yep, normally you use a school bike. Ideally you have your own gear though. Most lessons are one to one. Some can be one to two, which will reduce cost, but it's not a class thing.

When we say gear, what is being discussed exactly? Head-to-toe protective suit and a helmet? Can you link to something?

There's a fairly well established bike shop in Drogheda called Kennedy Motorcycles. Would it be worth going somewhere like this? I'd be a fairly heavy chap, so presumably would be best trying something on before buying it? Alternatively are there any decent value sites around that also have walk-in stores?

Cheers for all the help :D

So would a budget breakdown like this seem realistic:
    License: €100, Gear: €500, IBT: €500, Cheapo Bike: €1,400, Total: €2,500?

If you can get a bike for that price. Then you need to add on insurance and tax. It quickly adds up.

Says Navan there, which is only around the corner from me, so that seems ideal enough. :) I presume you have to have passed the test and hold a provisional license before you'll be entertained at IBT?

Yep, you need to hold your learner permit to do the IBT. Peter is based north county Dublin, so I would assume that Drogheda wouldn't be a major issue for him. I did it at his Finglas office, although when we were riding we went around a lot of north Dublin area.
    When we say gear, what is being discussed exactly? Head-to-toe protective suit and a helmet? Can you link to something?

Gear would be - gloves, jacket, trousers, boots and helmet. I bought my stuff in Bikeworld. It is definitely worth going in to shops, and trying stuff on. Sizes seem to vary from brand to brand, until you know your size. Then you could buy online. I bought the RST Adventure jacket and trousers. http://store.bikeworld.ie/rst and then got some gloves and RST boots.

But, yeah, go in shops, look at what you like, try things on, get prices, and try other shops. Some will do a deal for buying the full gear together.

I have a thread that is basically all I went through ... to date. :Dhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91705896

Drop me a PM if you want any more info.

I've bookmarked that and will definitely read it when I get back home (about 8-9pm). Last question I really have is how are bikes taxed? (engine size? one tax price for all bikes? Emissions? etc) and was your first year insurance difficult (ie; pricy)?

Okay, okay.. very last question, I promise! When buying a car I keep an eye out for it's NCT.. is there a bike equivalent?

Thanks for the quick replies, would it be normal for an instructor to have an A bike to rent for the test? Is that what people do?
    I'm not sure what bike to buy to start,but looking at the RSA list I reckon it would fit in A2 or A1 category, I had a scooter for years so the jump even to 600cc looks big!

Yeah, renting a bike for test is pretty normal, talk to whoever you do your IBT with. As for a bike to own, whatever floats your boat really.

There's no real difference in difficulty between passing the test on an A or an A2 bike.

I've bookmarked that and will definitely read it when I get back home (about 8-9pm). Last question I really have is how are bikes taxed? (engine size? one tax price for all bikes? Emissions? etc) and was your first year insurance difficult (ie; pricy)?

Okay, okay.. very last question, I promise! When buying a car I keep an eye out for it's NCT.. is there a bike equivalent?

Bikes are a flat 88 euro tax. Insurance really depends on a lot of factors, what bike, where it's kept, your age. You can often pay for an insurance assessment from an instructor, which can end up paying for itself in insurance savings. Liberty have an online calculatorfor insurance if you know what kind of bike - the deauville are cheap to insure.

There's no NCT equivalent for bikes. Which is good and bad - you don't have to test, but there's also no really good way of knowing if a bike is a death trap other than consulting an expert.

Someone may correct me, but it's €88, one price fits all for the tax. My insurance was high - €1,241, but that was for a brand new 800cc bike, fully comp. I knew it would be high, until I pass my test and/or do an insurance training/cert, so I wasn't surprised. I expect to pay under €500 after I pass my test, whenever I get around to that. :rolleyes:
    When buying a car I keep an eye out for it's NCT.. is there a bike equivalent?

No bike NCT, but you'd want a full service history, or have someone who really knows bikes with you when buying.

Well I'll go out and pick up the theory test CD+book tomorrow and hopefully get that done and dusted in the next week or so.

Then order the provisional and book the IBT. Hopefully something like This Bike will still be around when I'm looking to buy (seems ideal - storage, low posture, wide seat, etc.) and then hopefully make a move from there. Tax is a non-issue if it's only €88 a year anyway. I'll ring my insurance company and get a price from them.

If I could get on the road for around 3k I'd be thrilled (though I realise that's probably a bit optimistic)!

• Advertisement

Whatever you buy, make sure you have the right powered bike for the test you are taking. If you're renting from an instructor, that won't be an issue, but if you want to do the test on your own bike, be sure it makes the mark -

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

Advertisement