Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Far as I know it needs to be on your license already. NDLS should know for 100% (although from my dealings with them it seems to depend on who you get on the phone or in the office).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You would have held the full AM entitlement from when the B was issued in 2001. If, like a lot of people, you were only issued a licence with B on it then it's highly likely that your AM full entitlement expired as they do after 10 years meaning that from 2011 you should have to start over.

The first thing to do is call the NDLS and ask if you 'still hold the AM full entitlement'. This is incredibly easy for them to tell you and isn't up for misinterpretation. If you do have AM, you can go to the NDLS and add the category to your 'current' licence. This means, assuming you renewed in 2011, that the AM category will start today but the other categories (B&W) and the licence itself will finish in 2021. It will be a new card and it will cost €35 to add the category.

If you've lost the AM entitlement at this stage you've got a world of hurt to get going. Theory test/ IBT will cost €600 alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

cantdecide wrote: »
    IBT will cost €600 alone.
    Wait, you have to do an IBT for mopeds?! :eek:

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Wait, you have to do an IBT for mopeds?! :eek:

Indeedly. Well if you're starting from scratch yes. As above, if that poster has the AM full entitlement, he can simply add the category and he's away for the proverbial slates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

What a waste of money. Next will be IBT for cycling.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    What a waste of money. Next will be IBT for cycling.

How is it different than for other bikes? Most of what you're learning is roadcraft, observation, using mirrors, bike checks, etc. Only difference between IBT for mopeds and for A bikes is 5 minutes learning the difference in controls.

I wouldn't recommend anyone do IBT for mopeds - just do it for the category you can get and only use a moped if that's what you're into using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

just looked at the small print on rear of my credit card style licence:o

great news it actually says AM AUG2003 to NOV2015 :D

i never sat any bike test before so assume this part means i have a provisional AM licence.

it would be great for me if i can get insured and practice asap on the uncles old 50cc moped without having to sit the IBT test first :)

i wouldnt mind saving and doing the IBT after xmas and appling for the full A licence in the process

thanks again lads

It's better than that- you have the full AM entitlement since 2003; not a learner category. You would never have learner categories and full entitlements on the same card. You have the full AM in the same way that everyone who passed the B test before 2006 would have got. There are a ton of people out there like you that have the full AM entitlement that never sat on a moped.

You don't to do anything other than get insured on the moped and start driving. No IBT necessary. Having said that, I think it would be beyond a good idea to get some professional lessons to start with :) Oh, and gear. The ground is just as hard whether you're falling off a moped or an R1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

AM only covers up to 50cc AND a maximum speed of 45km/h - in other words restricted, and so slow as to be dangerous on the road, but that's the law.

I would imagine there are very few fully legal AM licence holders out there. AFAIK mopeds are generally supplied with a restrictor and it's almost always removed at the first service.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

AM only covers up to 50cc AND a maximum speed of 45km/h - in other words restricted, and so slow as to be dangerous on the road, but that's the law.

I would imagine there are very few fully legal AM licence holders out there. AFAIK mopeds are generally supplied with a restrictor and it's almost always removed at the first service.

+1

AM is really sh*te all good to you unless you're operating strictly in urban areas. Mopeds are not relevant to the vast majority in Ireland, IMO. 50cc/ 45km/h is faster than cycling but slow enough to get you into a world of hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

thanks guys you really made my day , letting me know I have the full AM licence already- i have some older wiser ex bikers in my family so Ill be twisting their arms for tuition :cool:

I know its pretty slow but it will do me fine for tipping around dublin city mainly :P

Im with axa for my car so hopefully they will give me a huge discount:D
    time to start shopping around and get my bike ncb started ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

With the test in Finglas, anyone know where they test you on U-turns? I just need to practice there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Paulw wrote: »
    With the test in Finglas, anyone know where they test you on U-turns? I just need to practice there.

It's done in a housing estate near the test centre, Just practice in one and you'll be fine.

Any road 7 metres wide, which is a lot of estate roads anywhere. Pace it out and practice till you're sick of it, in a few different places. By the time you get to the test it shouldn't matter where you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bobcranfret

Can I apply for a test in a category lower than the learner permit I have? For example, if I get an A2 permit and do the A2 IBT but then decide to buy a 125cc bike in the A1 category, can I apply for either the A1 or the A2 test? I'm an older (big) guy looking to get a bike to carry on or tow behind a motorhome. While I think a 125cc bike will meet my requirements, I would like to at least do the IBT on a bigger bike.

• Advertisement

Can I apply for a test in a category lower than the learner permit I have? For example, if I get an A2 permit and do the A2 IBT but then decide to buy a 125cc bike in the A1 category, can I apply for either the A1 or the A2 test? I'm an older (big) guy looking to get a bike to carry on or tow behind a motorhome. While I think a 125cc bike will meet my requirements, I would like to at least do the IBT on a bigger bike.

The short answer is yes but I would make a suggestion to you; get the A2 or even the A permit, do the relevant IBT, buy whatever bike you want but go and make time to really come to terms with it, then go for the A or A2 test on a rented school bike. I promise you wouldn't regret it.

I know you have your purposes but it's nearly the same effort and expense to get a full A as it is to go for an A1 but it depends on how motivated you are to get on with your motorcycling life. If you're not bothered and just want to be 'legal' then there are lots of ways of kicking the can down the road. Personally I wanted to get it all sorted ASAP and I passed the A test inside 7 months which I think was a good decision for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rigardo

Hey guys,

I just got my learner permit! I'm planning to organise my IBT as soon as I can get the funds together. I've a couple of questions it would be great to get your feedback on.

Firstly the two bikes I'm considering are the Kawasaki Z750 and the Honda 600 Hornet. My preference would be for the Z750. Am I likely to get a quote on either bike? I'm 33 and have been driving since I was 17 so the idea of a 250cc doesn't appeal to me.

From what I've read you don't need to have a motorcycle restricted any more. Is this correct? Thanks in advance for the feedback

Rigardo wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I just got my learner permit! I'm planning to organise my IBT as soon as I can get the funds together. I've a couple of questions it would be great to get your feedback on.

Firstly the two bikes I'm considering are the Kawasaki Z750 and the Honda 600 Hornet. My preference would be for the Z750. Am I likely to get a quote on either bike? I'm 33 and have been driving since I was 17 so the idea of a 250cc doesn't appeal to me.

From what I've read you don't need to have a motorcycle restricted any more. Is this correct? Thanks in advance for the feedback

You'll probably get a quote, yes. Whether or not you'll like it is another thing :-) - plug your details into Liberty's site.

The Hornet is considered a bog standard commuter by most insurers I'd imagine so you should have no bother.

Assuming you've a full A learner you don't need to restrict anything for license purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

hows things lads? I have my test tomorrow and was just wondering if someone could tell me how to adjust the chain?

I have it roughly in my head but just want to make sure I have it right. im nervous as fcuk and everything is scrambled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

sonic85 wrote: »
    hows things lads? I have my test tomorrow and was just wondering if someone could tell me how to adjust the chain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Got going on the bike in mid-June, commuted every day and just passed my test ! Delighted. Did some pre-tests with Aaron Rider training which helped a lot in terms of making sure I did everything in the right order.

Cocked up the u-turn though, almost dropped the bleedin bike for the first time. Stupid, usually have no problems with it. Two other faults and that was it.

Now I'm contemplating getting the bus home because of the really bad wind! Ridiculous eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 poshea69

Gavin wrote: »
    Got going on the bike in mid-June, commuted every day and just passed my test ! Delighted. Did some pre-tests with Aaron Rider training which helped a lot in terms of making sure I did everything in the right order.

Cocked up the u-turn though, almost dropped the bleedin bike for the first time. Stupid, usually have no problems with it. Two other faults and that was it.

Now I'm contemplating getting the bus home because of the really bad wind! Ridiculous eh!

well done, its great feeling.

I did a wee video on some tips from insuring a motorbike in the last year or so. Hopefully folks going down that path find some of the tips useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcKWJAeWVX8

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The 6 month wait for a test:
    if you are granted a learner permit for vehicles in category A, A1, or M, and have not held a learner permit in the five-year period prior to the granting of a permit in any of these categories you cannot sit a driving test within six months of your permit coming into force, although you may apply for a test within this period. The code 991 will be printed on your license opposite the vehicle category in the column headed ‘restrictions/information.’

Quoting this from the original post.

Ive decided that 2016 is the year I do my IBT and get on two wheels.Anyway Im 40,never been near a motorbike in my life and the above has me a bit confused.

So here goes.
    I get my learner permit,do my IBT etc but the 6 months waiting on a test can I drive a bike?
    Probably a better question -- would I get insured on a bike with a learner permit?
    If not how does one go about getting experience for the test?
    I want to go for an unrestricted full A licence and have my eye on a Harley or Triumph (mid life crisis so my wife keeps telling me)
    Most insurers probably wouldn't touch a learner on one of the above bikes Id assume?So if they don't what woule be the best bike to buy that I could take the A test on that I would get insured on as a learner while waiting to take the test?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Do full A IBT

You can ride any bike you'll get insured on after ibt

Do test after 6 months with bike that is in full A class

Ibt only lasts for 2 years so you'll have to redo if you don't get full test in 2 years.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Quoting this from the original post.

Ive decided that 2016 is the year I do my IBT and get on two wheels.Anyway Im 40,never been near a motorbike in my life and the above has me a bit confused.

So here goes.
    I get my learner permit,do my IBT etc but the 6 months waiting on a test can I drive a bike?
    Probably a better question -- would I get insured on a bike with a learner permit?
    If not how does one go about getting experience for the test?
    I want to go for an unrestricted full A licence and have my eye on a Harley or Triumph (mid life crisis so my wife keeps telling me)
    Most insurers probably wouldn't touch a learner on one of the above bikes Id assume?So if they don't what woule be the best bike to buy that I could take the A test on that I would get insured on as a learner while waiting to take the test?

Thanks

You can ride any bike in A class that you can insure between your IBT and test.

The operative term being "that you can insure", as you're already aware.

You can probably get insured alright, if you're prepared to pay through your hole. Insurers are happy to quote you on stuff - for bikes, stuff like your security arrangements matters more, for example. You're more likely to drop your first bike, so I'd avise to get something A friendly but not too spendy or that you don't get too attached to for a wee while.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Whats the general consensus here regarding the bike you ride between doing your IBT and applying for the test.
    Seems to be differing opinions whether to go with a smaller sub A licence bike or a fully A approved bike.
    Im booking my theory this week and IBT fingers crossed in February.
    Its wrecking my head what bike to go for.
    Any help appreciated.

Whats the general consensus here regarding the bike you ride between doing your IBT and applying for the test.
    Seems to be differing opinions whether to go with a smaller sub A licence bike or a fully A approved bike.
    Im booking my theory this week and IBT fingers crossed in February.
    Its wrecking my head what bike to go for.
    Any help appreciated.

Get an A bike if you're going for the A test. Plenty to choose from and I reckon getting anything smaller is just a waste of cash if you're going to change after the test, no reason aside from if you plan to get something you can't insure on a provisional.

Above all, get the bike you want to stick with for learning, regardless of class.

Thanks for that.
    Is a bandit 600 a good learner bike??
    Or could you give me a few examples of other A bikes that would suit for learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Thanks for that.
    Is a bandit 600 a good learner bike??
    Or could you give me a few examples of other A bikes that would suit for learning.
    I suggest that you do IBT first, and then you will have a more informed idea of what bike would suit you best.
    Bikes and gear are supplied for IBT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 OldieWilson

Quick question re tax discs.
    Since I've started riding I've just kept my disc in my wallet, as there's no disc holder on my bike.
    Have my test coming up soon though. Is it a requirement to have the disc displayed, or if I have it on me would that be fine?

Quick question re tax discs.
    Since I've started riding I've just kept my disc in my wallet, as there's no disc holder on my bike.
    Have my test coming up soon though. Is it a requirement to have the disc displayed, or if I have it on me would that be fine?

Best to display it. Mine was checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Displayed. He checked mine on my test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Hi Guys.
    I just applied for my Theory test for the bike.
    I'm looking at second hand bikes and I'm kinda lost as to what I should be looking for in them. I know Im going straight in at 600cc.
    What should I be looking for in a bike?

Also, thoughts on this gear.

Hi Guys.
    I'm looking at second hand bikes and I'm kinda lost as to what I should be looking for in them. I know Im going straight in at 600cc.

Also, thoughts on this gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

kiddums wrote: »
    Hi Guys.

hi kiddums when you're doing the IBT you can do it on a school bike so you could hold off buying your own bike till after then and you will have a better idea of what you want. And to figure out what you want just go sit on as many bikes as you can at a dealer or if they have a few at the ibt place.

The spada stuff seems to be reasonable quality, would probably do you starting out.

If you have the cash, get a decent helmet, it's the thing that most matters when it comes to fit. I wouldn't go ordering your first helmet online as everyon'e shead is different. Head into a shop and see what's what.

hi kiddums when you're doing the IBT you can do it on a school bike so you could hold off buying your own bike till after then and you will have a better idea of what you want. And to figure out what you want just go sit on as many bikes as you can at a dealer or if they have a few at the ibt place.
    OK so that will help me with the style/size?
    Just as information gathering, what do I need to look for in used bikes, or is it all basically the same stuff as a car?
    gerrowadat wrote: »
    The spada stuff seems to be reasonable quality, would probably do you starting out.

If you have the cash, get a decent helmet, it's the thing that most matters when it comes to fit. I wouldn't go ordering your first helmet online as everyon'e shead is different. Head into a shop and see what's what.
    Ok, so for gear is most of the stuff online ok? And just Helmets from a shop?
    I know I'm a noob to this, but I still want to learn enough so I don't get taken for a mug in a store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

Bit of a problem here. I have the test on Tuesday, but can't find the IBT cert at all. Never got a log book as the RSA didn't have them. I can apply for a copy but I certainly won't have this by Tuesday. Will the tester allow me to do the test?

• Advertisement

WAPAIC wrote: »
    Bit of a problem here. I have the test on Tuesday, but can't find the IBT cert at all. Never got a log book as the RSA didn't have them. I can apply for a copy but I certainly won't have this by Tuesday. Will the tester allow me to do the test?

By 'log book' do you mean the IBT book or the license cert for your bike?

You only need the IBT cert. Far as I remember they do check it yeah.

I have my learner permit. I don't have anything which says I did the IBT unfortunately. I know I put it somewhere safe:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

WAPAIC wrote: »
    I have my learner permit. I don't have anything which says I did the IBT unfortunately. I know I put it somewhere safe:mad:

They don't normally ask to see the IBT cert just learner permit & reg cert for the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Roadcraft wrote: »
    They don't normally ask to see the IBT cert just learner permit & reg cert for the bike.

When I did mine they asked for permit, IBT cert, and log book. That was in Roscommon 2013.

Roadcraft wrote: »

Good to know. I'll just have to wing it. He probably knows my IBT instructor so I can always ring him for further proof. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lexuslad

Hello,
    So I've been thinking about getting a bike for a while and I was just wondering do I need to do a theory test to get the learner permit? I have a learner permit for car and tractor already , can I just go into a ndls centre and get them to add the bike or do I have to a theory test for it?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

you'll have to do the bike theory test

lexuslad wrote: »
    Hello,
    So I've been thinking about getting a bike for a while and I was just wondering do I need to do a theory test to get the learner permit? I have a learner permit for car and tractor already , can I just go into a ndls centre and get them to add the bike or do I have to a theory test for it?
    Thanks.
    you'll have to do the bike theory test

Not strictly the case. If Lexuslad has been rocking his car learner permit since the mid noughties, then there's every chance he could avoid the theory test now. If not, then yes, he'll need the motorcycle theory test.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Not strictly the case. If Lexuslad has been rocking his car learner permit since the mid noughties, then there's every chance he could avoid the theory test now. If not, then yes, he'll need the motorcycle theory test.

Thanks for the replies gents, looks like I'll have to do the test, going to book it now and hopefully will have it done soon.

Sorry for another question, I've booked the theory test for two weeks time and hopefully all going well will pass it. My question is what Category do I fall into after I pass it, AM A2 or A1? I'm 20 by the way.
    Thanks

You're the same as myself so, A2. Which is essentially any bike under 35KW in power. The rules are more nuanced but when you're looking for bikes generally anything that is 35kw restricted, is suitable for you on that license.

After you pass the A2 test, and two years have passed, you will be able to do progression module 5 and move up to the unrestricted A license, which is usually only available to those over 24 via direct access.

So you need to do that theory test, do ibt modules 1, 3, and 5, and then pass your test after waiting 6 months from the issue date of your provisional.
    then wait 2 years from the passing of your test, and do progression mod 5 on a bike over 50kw, and you'll then have the unrestricted A license at around 22/23 years old.

• Advertisement
Advertisement