Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lexuslad

You're the same as myself so, A2. Which is essentially any bike under 35KW in power. The rules are more nuanced but when you're looking for bikes generally anything that is 35kw restricted, is suitable for you on that license.

After you pass the A2 test, and two years have passed, you will be able to do progression module 5 and move up to the unrestricted A license, which is usually only available to those over 24 via direct access.

So you need to do that theory test, do ibt modules 1, 3, and 5, and then pass your test after waiting 6 months from the issue date of your provisional.
    then wait 2 years from the passing of your test, and do progression mod 5 on a bike over 50kw, and you'll then have the unrestricted A license at around 22/23 years old.

Thanks for that it explained Alot!
    So the test then the ibt before I even think about buying a bike. I was told you can't get insured without doing the ibt first so it's a costly venture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

lexuslad wrote: »
    Thanks for that it explained Alot!
    So the test then the ibt before I even think about buying a bike. I was told you can't get insured without doing the ibt first so it's a costly venture.

Yeah that's what I'm doing anyway, it's very expensive I'll be probably 900 euro in once I pay for the rest of the ibt and I haven't sat on a bike yet. (I've only done module 1).

I may end up just doing extra lessons and the test on a rented bike so I can get my first insurance quote on the full A2 license rather than provisional. At least then I'll be able to spread the cost over a longer period of time, and worry about the few grand it's going to be between a bike and insurance towards the end of this year.

You can't get insured without the IBT and you can't go on the road without the IBT. Once you have done your IBT you can drive on the road on your own with an L tabbard on, until you pass the test. Then you'll need the N tabbard for 2 years (unless you've already had a car license then it's just 2 years from the date of that license)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

WAPAIC wrote: »
    Bit of a problem here. I have the test on Tuesday, but can't find the IBT cert at all. Never got a log book as the RSA didn't have them. I can apply for a copy but I certainly won't have this by Tuesday. Will the tester allow me to do the test?

So no need for the IBT cert at the test, they won't schedule the test for you unless you've done it.

One thing which I haven't spotted on here is to check your indicators and brake lights are working properly. My rear brake light was intermittent but thankfully I was allowed to do the test.

Also, I passed:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

well lads iv been thinking on getting a bike for some time now and going about my license , could someone explain the steps please as im confused about all the different opinions people are giving me , im 25 btw and have a full car license for last 8 years if that makes a difference :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Theory test (bike)
    Learner permit (All classes, but especially A)
    IBT
    6 months of practice
    Apply for test
    Pass test.

At 25, you can apply for full category A (any bike).

Paulw wrote: »
    Theory test (bike)
    Learner permit (All classes, but especially A)
    IBT
    6 months of practice
    Apply for test
    Pass test.

At 25, you can apply for full category A (any bike).

thanks paul , was just confused someone told me if i held a full cat B test there was no need to sit a second theory :confused:

pudzey101 wrote: »
    thanks paul , was just confused someone told me if i held a full cat B test there was no need to sit a second theory :confused:

There are some exceptions, but in general you have to do it. I hold a full B license for a number of years, but had to do theory test for bike.

Info on the theorytest.ie website or check the RSA website for specifics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You would have had to have taken a theory test prior to 2006 in order to get away without it this time. From your age, that won't have been possible so I'm afraid you'll definitely be looking at the AM theory test too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You have to love the mentality that regards learning stuff as a bad thing.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

You have to love the mentality that regards learning stuff as a bad thing.

Aye, **** this learning properly ****e, I want my litre sports bike and flip flops.

• Advertisement

Finished my IBT today with a spin up to the cliffs of moher :D next step busa flip flops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Lotsafish

Hey everyone, I'm getting my permit soon - this thread has been a lot of help!

I was wondering though - I have the old pink licence, does anyone know if I need to update to the new card version BEFORE I can then update it to include the learner permit (or is that a seperate card?) or can both be done at the same time?

Thanks!

Lotsafish wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I'm getting my permit soon - this thread has been a lot of help!

I was wondering though - I have the old pink licence, does anyone know if I need to update to the new card version BEFORE I can then update it to include the learner permit (or is that a seperate card?) or can both be done at the same time?

Thanks!

Learner permit is a separate green coloured card. If you're in the NDLS and want the new card for your full license you can do both at the same time yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Lotsafish

Brillo pads! Thanks!

gerrowadat wrote: »
    If you're in the NDLS and want the new card for your full license you can do both at the same time yeah.

Just a point on this; they won't exchange a valid full licence without good reason such as a change of personal detail (eg address) or if it's lost or damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭smilgy

On the RSA website it says that if you've had a learner permit for a motorbike (I had category M) in the last 5 years, you can apply for another learner permit without doing the theory test.

I got my learner permit when I was 16, that would have lasted 2 years. During this I acquired a full category B license sometime before I was 18 and thus got a new license, but didn't tick the box for the M category. I've just turned 22 and would like to get another learner permit for one of the motorbike categories. By my maths, only 4 years have passed so I should be okay, but how would NDLS know that?

EDIT: Just reading on the NDLS website now and it states that when applying for a learner permit when you already hold a full license, you've to give up your last learner permit and full license. When I applied for my B category, I gave up my learner permit which had the M and B categories and just received a full license with the B category.

Time line of events would be as follows:
    1. Turned 16, applied for category M learner permit
    2. Turned 17, applied for category B learner permit (although can't remember if I ticket the box for category M when applying)
    3. 6 months later did driving test, passed and applied for category B full license, surrendering learner permit.
    So the learner permit for category M would have expired sometime in March/April of 2012.

It all depends on when you last actually held the AM category on a learner permit, whether it expired or was removed by the motor tax office at your request (ie, by failing to keep the AM category when you added the B category).

You haven't explicitly said so, I assume you mean that you completed the AM (motorcycle) theory test, and held the AM (scooter) category on your learner permit, when you were 16. As you've stated, the AM learner permit can probably still be renewed (now excluding the B category) as it would have expired less than 5 years ago, then there's nothing stopping you applying for the AM category with the original start date and also adding A1 and A2.

Just call the NDLS and they'll tell you when you last held the AM category. If that was less than 5 years ago then your theory test stands and you can get an AM, A1 and A2 permit with no trouble. You'll still have to do IBT if you want A1 and A2.

The insurance troubles continue.

male, age 20, Sv650S 2004 restricted, no NCB / level 3 rider assessment, A2 provisional

Liberty: we can't quote you until you're 21. Sending me letter of refusal.

Axa: we will call you back

Principal: Still can't quote me but they could insure me a couple of weeks before my 21st Birthday (in June). Quote was given as if I was 21. 650 euro third party fire & theft. 250 euro excess. 900 euro fully comp. No commuting. Bike has alarm / immobiliser / kept garaged (she even asked what kind of garage I said a very messy one). 3000 yearly km I said (no idea how far I'll go it was a guess) and no pillion cover.

It's annoying that even with the rider assessment liberty won't quote me till I'm 21. And also annoying that principal have given such a **** quote considering how limited it is, and it's not even an option until I'm near 21.

I have my full test booked but no date yet. probably a 10 week waiting list they claim. Meaning I'd still be a month away from being allowed on the road, the month after the test. So I'll have to rent a bike for the test and also be going into the test having not sat on a bike for 2 months.

I don't see the point of buying a smaller bike just to keep until June. So I'm in a bit of a ****ing pickle at the moment it seems.

I want to get the test done ASAP so the 2 year timer starts for going to the full A.

650 TPFT at your age on an SV is actually not too bad of a quote. I paid that on a deauville with no NCB and a provisional and I've got 15 years on you.

• Advertisement

It's not too bad but it's a pretendy future quote which isn't really available to me at the moment. I'm more unimpressed with liberty not quoting me even with the rider assessment. Can't see 2 months making much of a difference when I've still done the IBT and rider assessment..

650 is around the price I've heard from a few others who were 23~ when getting insured on an sv so I think it's just par for the course. I'll be looking at less than 650 after a bit more flirting with the lovely insurance girls, and getting the full license. Mostly the full license.

quick question , just passed my bike theory today :) ! , will i be issued with a separate learner permit license card or will it be added to my current full drivers license ?

pudzey101 wrote: »
    will i be issued with a separate learner permit license card or will it be added to my current full drivers license ?

Separate card. You will be issued a new learner permit card. Your full license won't be touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sasquatch1

Hi. I have a full license with B and M issued in 2002. I read on a thread that I do not need to sit another theory test to apply for a learners permit for a motorbike. Is this the case. Thanks for any replies

sasquatch1 wrote: »
    Hi. I have a full license with B and M issued in 2002. I read on a thread that I do not need to sit another theory test to apply for a learners permit for a motorbike. Is this the case. Thanks for any replies

It depends on whether you took the 'Type 1' theory test (ie the original version of the theory test prior to 2006) in the first place.

In a nutshell, if you took the theory test when you started driving back in the early 2000's then yes, this theory test is still valid today (holding the full B has made it valid in perpetuity) and you won't have to take the A theory test to get get the A learner permit now. If you're in any doubt, just call the NDLS with your driver number or PPS number and they'll tell you whether you have the 'Type 1 theory test' on file or not in 2 seconds.

Will I have much hope of passing the test having only done the IBT? I have it done and I paid for the test over a month ago (still haven't got a date..), I finished the ibt the day before booking the test.

But I intended on having a bike now and practising away but anyway it turned out no insurers would quote me on anything other than a 250 and I didn't want to buy a 250 just to have for a month..

I suppose when I get my test date I'll get back onto my IBT person and do a pretest with them and rent a bike for the test.. but what do ye reckon for my chances of passing it having only done the 16 hours. I know you can't really answer without seeing my riding but like is the standard of riding anything higher in the test than the IBT?

• Advertisement

You need to wait a min of 6 months from doing your IBT before you can do your test.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/6-Month-Rule/

I thought it was 6 months from getting the provisional :{

Actually, you may be correct there.

I hope so anyway, I just want to get the ball rolling for the 2 year countdown for full A, so want to get it done as soon as I can.. but at the same time I don't want to throw 85 euro away failing the test because I'd only ever been on the road during the ibt.

IBT is just that - Initial Basic Training. I certainly wasn't ready to sit the test just after doing IBT. It takes time to get comfortable on the bike, and to learn how to ride.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I doubt many do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

So, given the good weather and more bikes on the road I have a few questions.

If I'm riding solo, and I either catch up to a bike, or one catches up to me, what is the etiquette for me?

Also, as I might be setting off in small groups, or even just with one more person (most likely also a learner) are their any group riding tips I need to be aware of?

kiddums wrote: »
    If I'm riding solo, and I either catch up to a bike, or one catches up to me, what is the etiquette for me?

I'm a learner too. To me, I continue to ride as normal. If another biker wants to overtake then they must do so, like they would any road vehicle. Same if I want to overtake another bike.

kiddums wrote: »
    Also, as I might be setting off in small groups, or even just with one more person (most likely also a learner) are their any group riding tips I need to be aware of?

Group riding is a whole different ball game. Usually, from what I have learned, it is best to ride in staggered formation, so not directly behind the other bike, but offset. That gives each bike some space and distance front and back, and side to side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭joey100

Just a few questions folks, think I have my head around the license system so none about that, for now anyway.

So I'm looking at getting a bike, mainly to be used commuting. Like the style of the Yamaha Mt range and reckon a MT 03 would probably suit me well. Has anyone used one of these for commuting or just in general? Finding it hard to find info online but what's the general running costs on a bike? Only ever had cars so no idea really of service intervals or tyre life or anything really to be honest.

I'm going to go have a look at bikes and see but this is another general question, I'm not the biggest fella, around 5''8 and 60kg. Will this have an impact on what type of bike would suit? I'd say I would probably struggle with a bigger heavy bike but this is based on no experience just what I think. Does height and weight play a role in bike choice? I'd guess the stand over height of any bike I look at would have to suit but are these standard enough or are some more suited to smaller people than others.

I done a taster session out in Leinster driving campus a while ago and found it good, enjoyed the bike and wasn't as scared as I though I might be on it. Was a while back but think I was on a 250cc bike and it seemed to fit well but can't remember the model, which is probably more important than the engine size. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

So has anyone got any advice on getting kitted out? Where and how much did you guys spend on gear starting out?

So has anyone got any advice on getting kitted out? Where and how much did you guys spend on gear starting out?

Best advice I can give - don't buy cheap crap. Buy quality. Now quality doesn't have to be expensive, but just do some research before buying.

Most important, buy a quality lid. Your head is the most important thing.

Get a decent pair of boots and gloves. Then a matter of choice between textile or leathers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Paulw wrote:
    Best advice I can give - don't buy cheap crap. Buy quality. Now quality doesn't have to be expensive, but just do some research before buying.

That's the plan. Decent quality stuff. Reckon about a grand.

I got myself an RST Adventure II suit (textile), cost about €530. Got a pair of RST Paragon boots (about €120), and a Sheoi Neotec lid. I also got a pair of BMW Two-in-one gloves.

That lot would be above your budget, but was within mine. If/when I replace the lid, I may not buy the same again. Otherwise, very very happy with what I have.

You should be well able to get what you need within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

anyone know where you can get moto reg plates printed up? have my test next week and mines a bit on the small side

dermo1990 wrote: »
    anyone know where you can get moto reg plates printed up? have my test next week and mines a bit on the small side

numberplates.ie did one for me. Or any garage that does sales of new bikes will probably do you one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 creation mark

Hi guys, i got my IBT cert august last year in category A, I'm 43 tomorrow, haven't done my test yet. still confused as to the size bike i can do my test on. I have a Honda Shadow VT750DC, a Triumph Scrambler 900 & a Harley Sportster XL 883 but have been told that I can't use any of them to do my test on, is this correct? Bit silly if so, seeing as i can legally ride them on the road now before completing my test. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

• Advertisement

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

"For a Category A motorcycle you will need to sit the driving test in a motorcycle with a cylinder capacity of at least 595cm3, an unladen mass of more than 175kg. , and an engine power of at least 50kW."

That's the best place to check the info.

The rules for an A bike which is suitable for the test is, 50KW, greater than 595cc, an unladen mass of more than 175kg, and the power to weight ratio of the vehicle of at least 0.25kW/kg. as above

so just going by your list there:

shadow seems to be less than 35kw, scrambler 900 is 40kw, sportster is 39kw (from quick googling..)

so unfortunately you're right that you wouldn't be able to do the test on any of those. It's silly in a case like yours alright. You'd have to rent an A test capable bike for the test.

Whatever you do, don't put off the test because the cert only lasts 2 years... just in case you didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 creation mark

The rules for an A bike which is suitable for the test is, 50KW, greater than 595cc, an unladen mass of more than 175kg, and the power to weight ratio of the vehicle of at least 0.25kW/kg. as above

so just going by your list there:

shadow seems to be less than 35kw, scrambler 900 is 40kw, sportster is 39kw (from quick googling..)

so unfortunately you're right that you wouldn't be able to do the test on any of those. It's silly in a case like yours alright. You'd have to rent an A test capable bike for the test.

Whatever you do, don't put off the test because the cert only lasts 2 years... just in case you didn't know that.

Cheers, yeah I knew about the 2 year time span, just not down on power to weight ratios, a lot's changed since i got my first bike about 20 years ago, unfortunately i left my license lapse & had to start at the start again. Thanks for the heads up lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Question probably asked 10000 times before, so forgive me please.

Is it possible to use a scooter or small bike to commute to work around Dublin all year round ? Wind, rain, snow etc. ?

I used to cycle 365 a year, but now is just too far.

I am talking about morning and evening trip lasting about 30-40 minutes.

Carpentry wrote: »
    Question probably asked 10000 times before, so forgive me please.

Is it possible to use a scooter or small bike to commute to work around Dublin all year round ? Wind, rain, snow etc. ?

I used to cycle 365 a year, but now is just too far.

I am talking about morning and evening trip lasting about 30-40 minutes.

Wind and rain, sure. It's down to the gear moreso than the bike.

Snow and ice, forget it.

I've been able to commute for 95% of days, only when it was proper icy and below 0 heading out would I leave it at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Is a 600cc bandit adequate for the category A test regardless if it is factory restricted or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

KC161 wrote: »
    Is a 600cc bandit adequate for the category A test regardless if it is factory restricted or not?
    SUZUKI Bandit 600 A, A2 if Restricted

http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Hi all another new guy to bikes, simple question that probably doesnt need its own thread but what websites are good for gear different types/reviews etc? Eg maybe helmets rated(especially with a rating for glasses wearers like myself)?
    Also regarding gear, what are the differences between leather/Kevlar jeans/other textiles protection wise are they the same?
    Any manufacturers that are recommended/best avoided?
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 imcc

Just wondering I have a full am license do I have to do a test for a higher license

Advertisement