Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

imcc wrote: »
    Just wondering I have a full am license do I have to do a test for a higher license

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 15 imcc

Do I have to do a theory test for bike license if I have a full car licence and what bike license do I apply for I'm 33 and have full license since 2003

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Do I have to do a theory test for bike license if I have a full car licence

Here's an answer to a very similar situation from a handsome poster.
    cantdecide wrote: »
    You might not have to get the Theory Test but it depends:

In a nutshell, what matters is which theory test you took when you started driving cars. Before the middle of 2006, it was the same theory test for bikes and cars and it doesn't expire and would still be valid today. If you got this "Type 1" theory test before the middle of 2006, passing the test will have given perpetual validity to the theory test and you won't have to get a new theory test now for the bike categories.

If you either took no theory test at all (eg you were on provisionals for many years before taking the driving test) or you took the car-specific theory test sometime from 2007 on, you will have to get the AM DTT now as you won't have a valid DTT on file.

If you're in any doubt, the best thing is to call the NDLS with your driver number ready and ask them if you have the "Type 1 DTT" on file. If not, you'll be booking a DTT.
    what bike license do I apply for I'm 33

In your case, you have the full AM entitlement. That means you can apply for A, and/or A2 and/ or A1 but...
    cantdecide wrote: »
    It's almost the same rigmarole to get a AM class bike as the full A. The worst case scenario is having to use a school bike for the A test instead of your own.

Got my first provisional licence in January 2004.

Got my full car licence in 2007.

Anyone with a full Category B licence obtained before 19th October 2006 has sn entitlement to category AM or M as it was previously known.

I tried asking for the AM category on a few occasions from 2007 to 2015 and was told "i wouldn't be here monday morning if i gave it to you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Which is correct, as you're not currently entitled to the category.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Which is correct, as you're not currently entitled to the category.

I agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Any learner vests going lads?

cadete wrote: »
    Any learner vests going lads?

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've one going. North Dublin.

Paulw wrote: »
    I've one going. North Dublin.

Sent ya a pm lad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Swordsdave

I've an L Vest going. Worn once. Duleek /Ashbourne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Swordsdave wrote: »
    I've an L Vest going. Worn once. Duleek /Ashbourne

sent you a message :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jackw1412

Well lads i just have a few quick questions if somebody wouldn't mind helping me out as its a bit confusing to get on the road with a motorcycle...

The main reason for the bike is i generally love bikes always wanted one as a child and I'd like to be able to commute to and from college so I'm not limited to applying locally for college as I cannot afford to move away for college so my only option is to live at home really.
    By the way I'm 20 and I've done my theory test I'm now going to apply for a A2 category license during the week.

I cant book my IBT Training yet its once I have my license i can then do my IBT Training can i or can i do it with my theory test while I'm waiting for the licence?

Also I'm planning on buying a Ninja 250 or a Hyosung GT250R as they seem to be the best starting bikes in the type of bikes i like and i got insurance quotes at €900 for the Ninja and €800 for the Hyosung with Liberty. Would this be a good option to go for both bikes fit well into the A2 Category dont they?

Also i suffer from moderate/severe hearing loss and I need to wear hearing aids 24/7, i know its classed as a disability but is it a disability I'd have to report to the Driver Licensing Authority? I can't find anything on Google about it all and to get insured with Liberty you can't suffer from one that needs to be reported.

Thanks very much if anyone could help me out.

jackw1412 wrote: »
    I cant book my IBT Training yet its once I have my license i can then do my IBT Training can i or can i do it with my theory test while I'm waiting for the licence?

You must have your learner permit before you can do IBT. The instructor needs to record your permit number for the record.
    Also i suffer from moderate/severe hearing loss and I need to wear hearing aids 24/7, i know its classed as a disability but is it a disability I'd have to report to the Driver Licensing Authority? I can't find anything on Google about it all and to get insured with Liberty you can't suffer from one that needs to be reported.

With insurance, you're always better off just letting them know. It may have no impact at all on insurance, but if you don't tell them, they can use it against you to get out of paying a claim.

You must have your learner permit before you can do IBT. The instructor needs to record your permit number for the record.

With insurance, you're always better off just letting them know. It may have no impact at all on insurance, but if you don't tell them, they can use it against you to get out of paying a claim.

Thanks Paul, so I'd be best of phoning the insurance company's and explaining about my situation instead of the online quotes and buying of insurance?

Any opinions on the starter bikes I'm looking at?

book an appointment with the NDLS bring all the stuff you need and get the A2 provisional. You can then book your IBT. Do the IBT on their bike with their gear if they will supply it. You will get good advice from them on what would be a good bike for you.

Make sure you know how much it's going to cost... I think I'm over 4 grand in at this stage.

look at a bandit 600/650, sv650 or honda super four.. something like that. they might want you to be 21 for all but the super four.

book an appointment with the NDLS bring all the stuff you need and get the A2 provisional. You can then book your IBT. Do the IBT on their bike with their gear if they will supply it. You will get good advice from them on what would be a good bike for you.

Make sure you know how much it's going to cost... I think I'm over 4 grand in at this stage.

look at a bandit 600/650, sv650 or honda super four.. something like that. they might want you to be 21 for all but the super four.

Yes the place I'm gonna book my IBT will give me a bike and the gear, I have it added up at about 4200 for everything Including gear but I'll probably opt to pay the insurance monthly on Apr to get on the road faster so about 3000/3500 hopefully. Is it not a good idea to start out on a sports style bike because I'm really into them? and i wouldnt need to get a 250 restricted also

I'm just started aswell lad and for gear look at eBay for all but helmet, some great deals on leathers and gear on it, try on some jackets and trousers in the shop when getting a helmet so ya know your size,
    I bought my boots lid and gloves in a shop and the boots alone cost more than a full set of leathers and a back protector!

Yes the place I'm gonna book my IBT will give me a bike and the gear, I have it added up at about 4200 for everything Including gear but I'll probably opt to pay the insurance monthly on Apr to get on the road faster so about 3000/3500 hopefully. Is it not a good idea to start out on a sports style bike because I'm really into them? and i wouldnt need to get a 250 restricted also

As long as you know what sort of money is involved you're grand. I had notions about it all costing a lot less when I was going about it..

A 250 won't meet the requirements for the A2 test is the only thing. You can get whatever bike you want and whatever style and all that.. as long as it meets the power limits.. but for the test it has to be of a minimum power.

So it makes the test day go from 85 euro to 85 + bike rental cost + couple of hours pretest on that bike to get used to it.. just something to consider.

As long as you know what sort of money is involved you're grand. I had notions about it all costing a lot less when I was going about it..

A 250 won't meet the requirements for the A2 test is the only thing. You can get whatever bike you want and whatever style and all that.. as long as it meets the power limits.. but for the test it has to be of a minimum power.

So it makes the test day go from 85 euro to 85 + bike rental cost + couple of hours pretest on that bike to get used to it.. just something to consider.

I'll definitely take into consideration now I didn't think of that at all, thanks very much a SV650 restricted I'd say I'll go for now

• Advertisement

I'll definitely take into consideration now I didn't think of that at all, thanks very much a SV650 restricted I'd say I'll go for now

if you like the look of sports bikes look at the sv650S.. me and cadete both have them on the A2 licence

they have the lent over seating position if that's what you're after

394565.jpg

if you like the look of sports bikes look at the sv650S.. me and cadete both have them on the A2 licence

they have the lent over seating position if that's what you're after

Damn that's a nice bike righ there, Insurance would definitely sky rocket on one of them doh, how much was yours first time if you don mind me asking?

480 for the sv but don't get excited, I got a very very barebones policy, a great quote that took a lot of flirting with the principal girls and 2 years no claims bonus on the policy..

480 for the sv but don't get excited, I got a very very barebones policy, a great quote that took a lot of flirting with the principal girls and 2 years no claims bonus on the policy..

I'll be on a provisional with no years experience on the road so I reckon my insurance will sky rocket since Liberty won't even quote me online with one, I'd say I'd be safer on a 250 as well, it's something I'm gonna think strongly about anyway thanks alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You must fill in the licence application form honestly, any "Yes" box ticked in the medical section means you'll need a medical report from your doctor to get a licence. You must also declare any medical conditions to your insurer. This might cost you a bit more in the short term but having a claim against you which your insurer refuses to pay is much worse.

Don't buy a Hyosung, piece of crap.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Have you ever had a car licence or permit before? The fitness question states . #39 "A serious hearing deficiency which has worsened since your last application/ renewal".

If you haven't, I'd say you must provide an NDLS medical report. The upside of this is that if you give the medical report, you won't need to get a separate eyesight report (assuming your doctor is happy to declare your vision as healthy- most will). From a licencing point of view, if your doctor is happy, then so are the licencing authorities. You will have a 101 notation on the back of your permit to denote the condition. On renewal (or ideally after you've passed your A2 test), if your hearing hasn't deteriorated, you will be able to declare yourself as healthy and won't have to provide a medical report again- your 101 notation will be removed then also.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SCOL

Can I get a Northern Ireland License and then get it converted to an
    republic license ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

I was in a bike accident back in march,still off the bike but my licence expired in may. I'll be turning 24 in October .
    So I'm just wondering what happens when I go to renew(it,ll be my 3rd learner permit)will I get an A or A2 ?

• Advertisement

try add the A category and renew at the same time.. although on 3rd permit do you need to show that you have at least attempted the test to renew?.. you could be in a bit of a weird situation then

try add the A category and renew at the same time.. although on 3rd permit do you need to show that you have at least attempted the test to renew?.. you could be in a bit of a weird situation then

I think I do,I failed the test once last year so I have that.
    If I add A do I need to do IBT all over again?
    I did my IBT back in 2011.

IBT only lasts 2 years, and yours would have been for the A2 so you'll have to redo it yeah :(

IBT only lasts 2 years, and yours would have been for the A2 so you'll have to redo it yeah :(

I was told mine doesn't expire because I did mine before any of these new licence categories came about.
    I wonder if I'd get away with it because my IBT cert says for A licence : p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

honda boi wrote: »
    I was told mine doesn't expire because I did mine before any of these new licence categories came about.
    I wonder if I'd get away with it because my IBT cert says for A licence : p

You would be allowed to ride and A2 category with your 2011 ibt but you would need to do modules 5 again for Category A.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scarebus03

Apologies if this has been answered but can a provisional A licence holder with IBT done drive a UK registered bike on Irish roads? The reason I ask is if you buy an imported one you have to get it to the NCT centre for the registration change.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Apologies if this has been answered but can a provisional A licence holder with IBT done drive a UK registered bike on Irish roads? The reason I ask is if you buy an imported one you have to get it to the NCT centre for the registration change.

Thanks

scarebus03 wrote: »

Thanks

Is the bike taxed and insured? If it's not, then the simple answer is no. Best take it on a trailer.

Hi Paulw,

I don't know if the insurance companies would insure a foreign registered bike. Play it safe so.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

scarebus03 wrote: »
    Hi Paulw,

I don't know if the insurance companies would insure a foreign registered bike. Play it safe so.

Cheers

I did this. I got the bike insured, and had to tell them the date for the VRT appointment.

Basically, if you have the IBT, the bike, and a date for the VRT you can. The catch is, after 30 days they're legally obligated to report you if you haven't got the bike on Irish plates by then.

Is the bike taxed and insured? If it's not, then the simple answer is no. Best take it on a trailer.

You can't tax it on the UK plates. You can get insurance though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

kiddums wrote: »
    after 30 days they're legally obligated to report you if you haven't got the bike on Irish plates by then.

Yes, well, to split hairs: "within one month" if they issue a policy on an "unregistered" vehicle for:
    • more 42 days, they need to grass.
    • less than 42 days, they don't need to grass.

I know it's sounds pedantic, but there is a subtle difference. If they're doing after 30 days, it better be a 31 day month if they're to meet their obligations.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89783709&postcount=7

macplaxton wrote: »
    Yes, well, to split hairs: "within one month" if they issue a policy on an "unregistered" vehicle for:
    • more 42 days, they need to grass.
    • less than 42 days, they don't need to grass.

I know it's sounds pedantic, but there is a subtle difference. If they're doing after 30 days, it better be a 31 day month if they're to meet their obligations.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89783709&postcount=7

Ah, Ok. I either misheard at the time or I misremembered, it was back in March.

That subtle difference is useful to know for the future though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sheener287

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice on getting a bike on the road at the ripe old age of 43, I know could probably trawl through previous posts but with all the changes to motorbike licensing I thought i`d ask here.

I currently hold a normal driving license with no A boxes ticked, what`s the first steps to getting motorbike license, do i need to do some bike training before I can get learner permit?

The bike is for commuting to work as I have no parking any more, would a scooter be better suited. 26km round trip?

Winter riding, is it as bad as I imagine it would be??

Thanks.
    Stephen

sheener287 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am looking for some advice on getting a bike on the road at the ripe old age of 43, I know could probably trawl through previous posts but with all the changes to motorbike licensing I thought i`d ask here.

I currently hold a normal driving license with no A boxes ticked, what`s the first steps to getting motorbike license, do i need to do some bike training before I can get learner permit?

The bike is for commuting to work as I have no parking any more, would a scooter be better suited. 26km round trip?

Winter riding, is it as bad as I imagine it would be??

Thanks.
    Stephen

First get a theory test then apply for a provisional then get your IBT and your on the road :)

sheener287 wrote: »
    what`s the first steps to getting motorbike license, do i need to do some bike training before I can get learner permit?

Steps are simple -
    theory test
    eye test
    learner permit for the bike category you want
    IBT
    wait 6 months and then do full test

At your age, you can get an A license which will qualify you to ride any category bike. Otherwise, AM will cover mopeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Hi all, asking for a mate who is prepping for the theory test.... I did mine using the book/cd format. He has asked me, if this new service is the same bank of questions? https://www.officialdttonline.ie/index.aspx

In otherwords, it looks like the same company produce both, so would one be covered just paying the online service to practice questions and then taking the test? The official website is very vague on the matter! Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to advise!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sheener287

Thanks for replays, I think I will be going for scooter, Suzuki Burgman or similar.

johnk123 wrote: »
    Hi all, asking for a mate who is prepping for the theory test.... I did mine using the book/cd format. He has asked me, if this new service is the same bank of questions? https://www.officialdttonline.ie/index.aspx

In otherwords, it looks like the same company produce both, so would one be covered just paying the online service to practice questions and then taking the test? The official website is very vague on the matter! Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to advise!

that looks legit so its probably good. he can get the cd or book from a local library too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

that looks legit so its probably good. he can get the cd or book from a local library too
    Update, he just messaged me saying he signed up and it's pretty much exactly the same as the CD we remembered for the driving theory back in the day!

Handy for lunchtime practice at work etc i suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I have a spare "L" vest if anyone needs it. My missus passed her test recently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement