Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

Evening all,

Hope you all had a nice peaceful day, Was wondering if anyone could put me wise on this,

I'm nearly certain I read on here that if You / I had A provisional licence before Mid 2006 "Type 1 DTT" Should be on file which means I shouldn't have to do a theory test again for another Category, I have checked with the licence crowd and they told me Yes I have "Type 1" on file, So mailed them again to ask about this but I fear that by the time they get back to me "if ever" it will be too late to cancel my exam which is set for the 4th of January, think u need to give them 5 full working days notice of cancellation Else they keep your dosh,

I have a full car licence and now want a motorbike licence Cat A, I will be doing the IBT in the new year, Now I don't want to be taking another day off of work to do this exam if it ain't necessary,

In anticipation of your kind help I thank you :cool:

D3V!L wrote: »
    I have a spare "L" vest if anyone needs it. My missus passed her test recently.

Hi D3vil

Looks like I be needing one of them soon, if its still up for grabs You might let me know,

Well done to "She who must be obeyed" for passing the test :cool: I have it all in front of me now and I'm dreading it,

cantdecide wrote: »
    Here's an answer to a very similar situation from a handsome poster.

I found it, I been looking for this since seeing it the other day, I been all over the site's I visited looking for it, so I just started reading back over a few pages here and BOOM! There it was unreal :)

Now all I need to know is how to go about getting this stamped on my driving licence before I cancel my exam,

Any idea's people :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Hi iv got my A category learner permit last month and i am going to go do IBT next month , from what iv heard i can ride any bike then , is this correct? MY choice would be a yamaha MT 07 so im hoping this would be possible once i do my IBT training yes ? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

jo06555 wrote: »
    Hi iv got my A category learner permit last month and i am going to go do IBT next month , from what iv heard i can ride any bike then , is this correct? MY choice would be a yamaha MT 07 so im hoping this would be possible once i do my IBT training yes ? thanks

Once you complete your IBT, you tax and insure the bike and you can ride away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Paulw wrote: »

Thats great thanks !!!

If its of any help to some of you doing the motorbike test I would strongly advise getting to know the new 7th edition theory test,

They have added 17 new Q/A about drink driving, they ask at least 2 of these in the exam,

I done my exam this evening, it's no where near as easy as the old exam which I took in 2004, I only did a few of the free "Irish theory mock test" you can get online, then I went into the DTT site and got a free hour to look up the new questions and do 2 official type test which I passed 40/40

so I used all my email address's and got another free 4 hours doing the test, the worst score I got was 38 out of 40 in all of the exams... took at least 12,

There was me thinking this is easy enough, The only time I started to doubt myself was when I signed in at the exam, after I had signed I went to give her the passport Photo, She gave what I can only describe as a sarcastic smile and said you need to pass the test first :eek:

one of the first questions was, stopping distance at 100kph , is it 65 - 75 - 85 or 95 meters... as i sat steering at the screen I thought, It depends what your driving, Needless to say i got that and 2 others wrong,

Now really I should have known the stopping distance but there were so many figures running around in my head to do with this motorbike exam... The new questions seem to be all to do with numbers, Like how many killed by DD'S, Age groups, length of Ban's and so on,

It really fried what was left of my poor brain, There was around 6 really dark tanned people doing it when I went in, I felt kinda sorry for them, After the exam was finished they had me wait bout 5 minutes in another room before putting me out of my misery, Passed with 37 out of 40, if I hadn't wrote some figures on my wrist it would have been 36 right,

There's cameras all over the shop looking right down at you so be careful :D

you can get a months worth of use on the site for around €18, as much as I hate to give them more money I would advise anyone going for the exam to invest in it.. or as someone wrote earlier go to the library and do it for free, make sure its the 7th edition, No doubt they will add a few more questions next year making people buy another edition,

I now fully believe they want people to fail at least once so they bleed a little more juice from us,

Good luck to you's and Study Study Study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Assuming you do IBT on a Class A bike. The instructor should have asked you when booking what category licence you have.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

mann wrote: »
    I done my exam this evening, it's no where near as easy as the old exam which I took in 2004.

Do you mean you took the actually theory test or a mock?

I've said it on the forum here 1000 times and I'll continue to say it because this is not well known; if anyone took the 'Type 1' theory test between 2001 and 2006 for the car permit (and never had a significant break from holding a licence or permit) you do not need to take the DTT for bikes now- the T1 DTT covers cars and bikes and is valid in perpetuity for A and B categories.

They WILL take your money and let you do the theory test again even if you have a valid theory test on file. Bear this in mind if you ever wish to pursue category BE also.

• Advertisement

Do you mean you took the actually theory test or a mock?

They WILL take your money and let you do the theory test again even if you have a valid theory test on file. Bear this in mind if you ever wish to pursue category BE also.

Hi CD,

Yes I took the actually took the real test / exam, and yes they took my money :(

After I had booked it I remembered reading about having "Type 1 DTT" So Emailed the NDLS to make sure it was on file, they confirmed it was on file, Then I went looking for where I had read about it to see what I had to do next, As you may have already read in one of my previous post's about trying to find the info,

Ended up emailing the NDLS again asking if I should cancel my exam because I have the type 1 on file, Also asked how should I go about getting the bike permit on my driving licence so I could do my IBT course, They never replied, :mad:

After the exam I got talking to the guy working there about the type 1 thingy and he didn't have a clue.. or wouldn't let on,

And people wonder why there are so many uninsured drivers on the road, They really do make it overly expensive and as hard as they can for people starting out,

I just had a flashback and seen Her sarcastic grin as plain as day, Only for people like yourself Nobody would know things like this... They "NDLA" wont tell you Thats for sure,

Keep up the good work :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Could someone clarify if I have this in the right order in my head?

Do the Theory Test
    Get my Provisional ( how does this work if I have a full driving license? Do I get a separate license? )
    *now I'm 24 years old, so can I go for the A rating?*
    If so, get appropriate bike/gear/tax/insurance.
    Go to IBT and complete required modules.
    Get my cert, bike around until the time comes and 6 months has passed.
    Then apply for full license.

If something is amiss or this isn't the "correct timeline" could one of you fine folk clarify it.

Thanks! :D

marko93 wrote: »
    Could someone clarify if I have this in the right order in my head?

Do the Theory Test
    Get my Provisional ( how does this work if I have a full driving license? Do I get a separate license? )
    *now I'm 24 years old, so can I go for the A rating?*
    If so, get appropriate bike/gear/tax/insurance.
    Go to IBT and complete required modules.

If something is amiss or this isn't the "correct timeline" could one of you fine folk clarify it.

You get a separate learner permit to your full current license.

Yep, steps all correct. Most people don't get their own bike until after completing IBT. Most use a school bike for the IBT.

After the 6 months, you apply for the full test, and if you pass, you then get your full license.

You get a separate learner permit to your full current license.

Yep, steps all correct. Most people don't get their own bike until after completing IBT. Most use a school bike for the IBT.

After the 6 months, you apply for the full test, and if you pass, you then get your full license.

Ah okay, that makes sense!

Do you have to repeat the IBT every two years or am I imagining I read that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you don't have to repeat IBT

I will have to repeat some of it because I'm 21, after two years I'll repeat module 5 on an A bike and be automatically upgraded to the unrestricted license.

you will go straight to A and never have to do IBT again

you don't have to repeat IBT

I will have to repeat some of it because I'm 21, after two years I'll repeat module 5 on an A bike and be automatically upgraded to the unrestricted license.

you will go straight to A and never have to do IBT again

Ah, thank you! Time to start saving :P

• Advertisement

Thanks! :D

I'm going through the process now, just did the theory and booked the IBT, Was told that since I already hold a full driving licence I do NOT need to wait the 6 months before going for the test :D

So I be applying for it as soon as the IBT is done... sooner the better, Also been told that if your certificate runs out "2 years" you will have to do the Practical elements of training again,

Just bought leggings with armored knees and hip's €55 and Bike glove's, they were the cheapest I could find but will look good on the test... Better than showing up wearing a track suit.

mann wrote: »
    I'm going through the process now, just did the theory and booked the IBT, Was told that since I already hold a full driving licence I do NOT need to wait the 6 months before going for the test :D

So I be applying for it as soon as the IBT is done... sooner the better, Also been told that if your certificate runs out "2 years" you will have to do the Practical elements of training again,

Just bought leggings with armored knees and hip's €55 and Bike glove's, they were the cheapest I could find but will look good on the test... Better than showing up wearing a track suit.

Oh really? That's pretty cool! Be nice to get it done and out of the way, but on the flip side, 6 months of driving around on a bike getting comfortable doesn't sound so bad either :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The RSA can be slow to process paperwork, so in reality I'm not sure how quickly after the IBT you can do the test.

I'm just getting around to booking my test now after about 9 months. I feel so much more comfortable with the basic controls than when I'd just done my IBT. The first week or two of riding was mostly pure terror. Co-ordinating hands and feet all doing different things is much much harder than driving or cycling, but I've always been a bit shíte at everything so YMMV.

Much easier too to not be practicing for and doing the test during the winter months.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Much easier too to not be practicing for and doing the test during the winter months.
    Not if your alternative is cycling 60km in the dark. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

What's the name of that Motorcycle instructor who used be a scout motorcycle rider for the army?

Korat wrote: »
    What's the name of that Motorcycle instructor who used be a scout motorcycle rider for the army?

Peter Bookey - Aaron Rider Training. http://www.aaronridertraining.com

I used him for IBT and found him brilliant. Very strict but you learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Peter Bookey - Aaron Rider Training.

I used him for IBT and found him brilliant. Very strict but you learn.

Thanks,

He got me my pass, despite years of bad habits.

He would be my recommendation for a learner in difficulty.

Just some more questions I have, just so I'm as informed as possible.

On the assumption I'm going for an A license straight off the bat, how does that work for the full test? Is there criteria for what bikes I can use for this ? (If so any suggestions? :p)

How does insurance of bikes compare to the insurance of cars? Is it as ridiculously high?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I went straight in at full A. The process and test are the same as far as I know. There is a Kw minimum for the bikes for it. Iirc its 50Kw? I used a 2012 Yamaha XJ6 which has 55Kw and I was good.
    I have the XJ6 and a friend has a Kawasaki Er-6f. Both seem to be good bikes for beginners, we didn't have much issues with them anyway.

Its expensive, but not quite as bad. First car insurance was about 1200 for me 6 years ago, first bike insurance was about 800 last year. Someone else might be able to comment on the insurance longer term.

Edit: I forgot the RSA have this list. The filters for the categories are weird on that list, you should check A & A, A2 if restricted.

I went straight for an A too. IBT on an A category bike, then went and bought myself an F800 GS. Insurance was €1200 first year (full comp). This year the insurance was €540.

Just make sure, for the test, that your bike meets the criteria for an A test.

kiddums wrote: »
    I went straight in at full A. The process and test are the same as far as I know. There is a Kw minimum for the bikes for it. Iirc its 50Kw? I used a 2012 Yamaha XJ6 which has 55Kw and I was good.
    I have the XJ6 and a friend has a Kawasaki Er-6f. Both seem to be good bikes for beginners, we didn't have much issues with them anyway.

Its expensive, but not quite as bad. First car insurance was about 1200 for me 6 years ago, first bike insurance was about 800 last year. Someone else might be able to comment on the insurance longer term.

Edit: I forgot the RSA have this list. The filters for the categories are weird on that list, you should check A & A, A2 if restricted.

Doesn't seem too outrageous! I'll check those bikes out, and thanks for that link, helps directing my search :D
    I went straight for an A too. IBT on an A category bike, then went and bought myself an F800 GS. Insurance was €1200 first year (full comp). This year the insurance was €540.

Just make sure, for the test, that your bike meets the criteria for an A test.

That F800GS is a lovely bike! Far from my budget, sadly :(

Oh, actually what's (if there is) the typical investment on equipment for a starter? (Top/Bottoms/Helmet/Gloves/etc)

Oh, actually what's (if there is) the typical investment on equipment for a starter? (Top/Bottoms/Helmet/Gloves/etc)

I guess that really depends. I'd estimate around €1500 for everything - gloves, boots, jacket, trousers and helmet. Of course, that can go up a lot or down a bit, depending on what you go for - textile, or leathers, etc.

Helmets can vary a lot in price and quality. So many choices in brands, styles, colours, etc. Do your research.

My tuppence about gear is give serious consideration to what you're actually paying for. IME, with the exception of obvious garbage, the reasonably priced stuff will serve it's core purpose virtually as well as the expensive stuff in an emergency. The more you pay, usually you're getting more comfort, features, refinement and longevity. Things like water-proofing and wind-proofing you pay through the nose for if you need them to be effective. A fair weather rider can make do with much more basic equipment and have virtually the same protection.

I would advocate that new riders consider going for the reasonably priced stuff unless the whole biking exercise involves extensive use, such as commuting or touring. I think that most riders end up going down different biking avenues after a time requiring changes of gear. There's also the fact that if you're learning, there's greater risk of having a spill. I'd rather scuff up a €100 jacket than a €300 jacket if the protection is virtually the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭ThaiTanic

Hi lads im looking for a bit of advice on getting my first bike. Im looking at getting into motorcycles properly for the first time. Im 26 years old and ive been advised to go straight for my A licence. My theory test is booked in 3 weeks time. The question I have is do people think a R6 is too powerful to start off on. Im after coming across a few nice ones that are within my budget. Would I be better off starting off on something smaller like a 250cc bike? Saying that Im used to riding scramblers and quads on the farm and I know to to respect the machine at all times and not act the idiot. Im about 6ft2 and 16 stone so would something as small as a 250cc be too small for me? Also would the insurance on an R6 be the same as a 17 year old trying to insure a sports car on a provisional licence?

Thanks In advance lads!

• Advertisement

ThaiTanic wrote: »
    Hi lads im looking for a bit of advice on getting my first bike. Im looking at getting into motorcycles properly for the first time. Im 26 years old and ive been advised to go straight for my A licence.

If you're going for an A, then you will need a bike that meets the A criteria for the test, so will need to be 600cc+. The RSA website has a list of bikes that meet the criteria. A 250cc bike certainly won't do it.

Yes, first insurance will be expensive, but will drop when you pass your test and you can also do an insurance assessment (depending on insurer) to reduce that further.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

If you're going for an A, then you will need a bike that meets the A criteria for the test, so will need to be 600cc+. The RSA website has a list of bikes that meet the criteria. A 250cc bike certainly won't do it.

You can buy a smaller bike to learn on, and ride for the first 10,000 km. And borrow a larger bike for the test.

May as well start as you mean to go on, get the bike that your LP allows and take the test on a bike you're comfortable on. Borrowing a bike for the test makes it harder to pass.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Lads I've looked online but I can't see anything, where can you do your bike test? I was going to do it in Dundalk but I heard they don't do it there. Anyone have a list of test centres that do bikes?

CaptainR wrote: »
    Lads I've looked online but I can't see anything, where can you do your bike test? I was going to do it in Dundalk but I heard they don't do it there. Anyone have a list of test centres that do bikes?

From a quick look on the RSA site - Cavan, Navan and Dublin (Finglas) would be your options. Nothing closer to Dundalk.

When you log in to the RSA website, to apply for the test, it will only give you the centres that will do your category.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

From a quick look on the RSA site - Cavan, Navan and Dublin (Finglas) would be your options. Nothing closer to Dundalk.

When you log in to the RSA website, to apply for the test, it will only give you the centres that will do your category.

Cheers, I only have 6 months left on the IBT and permit so I'd better get it booked soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

Hey lads, me and a friend both have our A learner permits and wondering what would the rough cost of an IBT be? We will do a 2:1 IBT to make it a bit more economical but would need to be provided bike and gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

A question on the 6 month test wait thing - I've got a car license for 20yrs, I got my A learner permit in Jan '16, up only getting around to do the IBT now. So, do I still need to wait 6 months to do my full test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

6 months from when you got the permit

• Advertisement

Cheers

6 months from when you got the permit

Actually, this only applies to your first ever full licence. Having an existing full B means you can take the bike test as soon as you can get a date.

Actually, this only applies to your first ever full licence. Having an existing full B means you can take the bike test as soon as you can get a date.

Not true. Having a full license in another category means you don't need to wear an N vest when you pass the test, but the six month wait is still there. It is actually written on the back of the learner permit. Code 991 will be beside your bike category, which means "Holders of Learner Permits in categories A1, A2, AM, A, W and B must wait for 6 months before taking the driving test".

If 991 is there, you must wait 6 months.

https://www.ndls.ie/licence-categories.html

In terms of bike to do test on, is the RSA list (below) the only bikes you can do the test on?
    If a bike is not listed, but meets the A criteria does that mean it's valid to do test on, or not?

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

Their list is a guide and recommendation. If your bike meets the requirements then you are fine.

Great stuff, thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Doing my IBT for A later this month and then looking to buy the kit and bike right after. My first bike is likely to be a 600 Fazer or Hornet. I've been looking at Adverts and Donedeal, which is fine for checking prices, but I'd like to visit a shop and actually sit on a bike or two. If the prices aren't significantly higher than found online, would be willing to buy from a shop too.

Any recommendations on a bricks and mortar shop with a decent selection of used bikes to try for size?

Any recommendations on a bricks and mortar shop with a decent selection of used bikes to try for size?

Your location may help. Dublin has a few bike shops. Bikeworld, mega bikes might be worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Your location may help. Dublin has a few bike shops. Bikeworld, mega bikes might be worth looking at.
    D'Oh!

North County Dublin, but willing to travel to achieve the objective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Hi All!
    I got my learner permit in May 14 and I only realised last year it expired in 2016.
    What must I do to get it restored / renewed.
    I've tried getting this info online but I'm going around in circles.
    Any info is appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

D'Oh!

North County Dublin, but willing to travel to achieve the objective.

Crossans in Newry.
    RPM in Hill Of Rath,Drogheda
    Cotters in Ballymount
    Bikeworld on Long Mile Road
    MegaBikes on Wexford Street.

Cotters or Crossans would my 2 choices,if it were me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement