Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aaronjsmyth

Thanks a lot for this info - had a brief moment of panic when i thought i had only done the theory test for AM (moped) :)

Great advice all round it seems i appreciate the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Well wear!

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

On the 16th of September I'll have held my full A2 license for two years.

For doing the progression module can I just book to do it with an IBT instructor on the 16th and then bring that cert to the NDLS and upgrade to the A, or do I need to go in and get an A permit, then do the module, then go back and exchange for the full A

do I need to have anything filled out or done before I book the module 5 really is my question. There are long waiting lists for the NDLS centre so I might as well have it all planned ahead of time to actually get the A license on the day it's allowed rather than being on a long waiting list to get it exchanged...

thanks, I'm sure the IBT person will know but better to ask here as well in case there's some confusion or if anyone has personally done it lately.

• Advertisement

I've just found this image

motorcycle_licence.png

which states I'll have to apply for a permit before undertaking the progression module. So another 35 euro to add that to the provisional license and then another 35 to add the A to my full licence.

So am I right in thinking I should book an appointment for the 16th of september where I will add the A provisional, then do the progression module as soon as I can, then bring the A provisional (when it arrives) to the NDLS centre where I'll be able to swap that for a new pink license which will have the full A on it

that sounds right to me, well it sounds terribly wrong that it'll be 70 euro just in the NDLS centre to upgrade my ****ing license, but the process sounds like it'll work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yes, you need to get the A learner permit. Then take the progression module (instructor probably won't let you do it without the A learner permit). Instructor signs off a certificate, which you bring into NDLS and apply for the full A.

It's worth just turning up in the morning at the NDLS, they expect walkins and if you get there first, you can get seen to fairly quickly. At least that was the way for me in Santry, which I have visited more often that I'd like.

Also - I think you can actually apply for the A learner permit well before the 2 year deadline, you just can't do the progression module until the two years have passed.

Gavin wrote: »
    Yes, you need to get the A learner permit. Then take the progression module (instructor probably won't let you do it without the A learner permit). Instructor signs off a certificate, which you bring into NDLS and apply for the full A.

It's worth just turning up in the morning at the NDLS, they expect walkins and if you get there first, you can get seen to fairly quickly. At least that was the way for me in Santry, which I have visited more often that I'd like.

Also - I think you can actually apply for the A learner permit well before the 2 year deadline, you just can't do the progression module until the two years have passed.
    thanks

I'm under 24 so I don't think they will let me add the A category, although I should probably ring them and see will they give me the provisional A early so I could physically have the card by the 16th, but even typing that out seems doubtful.

I had a wait of 2 hours one of the first days I went to the NDLS so I think I'll book it, although I booked and missed my slot by 15 minutes before and they took me as a walk in after another 15 minutes so it all depends how busy they are!

Kinda mad I'll have to have an A permit for just a week instead of being directly able to upgrade the Full A2 to A!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PimpedJumper

Hi everyone! I’m afraid my first few months of Motorcyle life has not been as straight forward as I hoped for. I’m keeping my bike in an underground car park in Ashtown and there have been numerous attempts to rob it in the space of 2 months. I currently use an Oxford chain lock tied to a railing and a disc lock on the front to keep it secure. Last night they made a real job of the chain lock and now I can’t open it, key won’t fully insert and rotate so effectively I can’t unlock my bike.
    Anyone got any tips for sorting a dodgy lock or is cutting the chain the only option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere but i keep seeing slightly different information and I just want to be clear. I'm 34 and currently have my B license and on it I also have 'AM'. I now want to get my A, do I need to do a new theory test before applying to the NDLS or am i covered with my current B/AM license?

• Advertisement

_sheep wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere but i keep seeing slightly different information and I just want to be clear. I'm 34 and currently have my B license and on it I also have 'AM'. I now want to get my A, do I need to do a new theory test before applying to the NDLS or am i covered with my current B/AM license?

Did you do a theory test for both category A and B at the same time? Pre 2006 I think it was? If you did then the category A is kept ‘alive’ by the category B

Did you do a theory test for both category A and B at the same time? Pre 2006 I think it was? If you did then the category A is kept ‘alive’ by the category B

Great that is what I thought alright, by having the AM i think now i can just apply for a learner A without the theory cert. I'll book in and see so thanks.

Great that is what I thought alright, by having the AM i think now i can just apply for a learner A without the theory cert. I'll book in and see so thanks.

You should be fine. I know someone who did this very recently under the same circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You should be fine. I know someone who did this very recently under the same circumstances.

I know one or two people myself, however, it's a semi-obscure exception to the rule and some people meet resistance from NDLS staff who are certain a driver would have to repeat the theory test today (but they're wrong nonetheless).

Anyone that did their car theory test prior to August of 2006 won't have to repeat it as that early theory test covered both cars and bikes. The theory test will still be considered current and valid as long their car driving record wasn't broken for any significant amount of time.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I know one or two people myself, however, it's a semi-obscure exception to the rule and some people meet resistance from NDLS staff who are certain a driver would have to repeat the theory test today (but they're wrong nonetheless).

Anyone that did their car theory test prior to August of 2006 won't have to repeat it as that early theory test covered both cars and bikes. The theory test will still be considered current and valid as long their car driving record wasn't broken for any significant amount of time.

Thanks for the help guys, i actually went onto the ndls website after that post and signed in via mygovid - im told ill get my learner A permit in the post this week. My theory test was pre-2006 and it stayed valid thankfully it seems.

Hold on a second, you got an A permit without actually going into the NDLS, just going online?!

quick edit:

Could I add a new category (so add the A permit) or is it just renewing categories which you have had added before?

Hold on a second, you got an A permit without actually going into the NDLS, just going online?!

quick edit:

Could I add a new category (so add the A permit) or is it just renewing categories which you have had added before?

When i went onto the NDLS website it ticked a load of boxes for me, i guess ones for which my Theory Test has previously covered me for.

I have a learner permit coming that is going to have A, A1, A2 and car with trailer apparantly according to the sample picture they previewed to me. (edit, none of these i ever had before)

When i went onto the NDLS website it ticked a load of boxes for me, i guess ones for which my Theory Test has previously covered me for.

I have a learner permit coming that is going to have A, A1, A2 and car with trailer apparantly according to the sample picture they previewed to me. (edit, none of these i ever had before)

Can you post on here when that arrives? that would be great to be able to send people who come to this forum wondering about what they are entitled to from previous theory test... they could just log in and order their A provisional instead of arguing with the NDLS people

Can you post on here when that arrives? that would be great to be able to send people who come to this forum wondering about what they are entitled to from previous theory test... they could just log in and order their A provisional instead of arguing with the NDLS people

The killer question for people in doubt is to find out if their theory test on file is the 'Type 1' theory test. The type 1 covered both cars and bikes and is valid in perpetuity as long as their car entitlements are maintained.

The killer question for people in doubt is to find out if their theory test on file is the 'Type 1' theory test. The type 1 covered both cars and bikes and is valid in perpetuity as long as their car entitlements are maintained.
    +1

• Advertisement

Learner permit arrived today from the ndls, my learner permit now has A1, A2, A (bikes) and BE (car with trailer). My 'full' license already has AM(moped), B(car) and W(tractor).

Must have had a 'type 1' theory test that was kept active by my car as was said.

Learner permit arrived today from the ndls, my learner permit now has A1, A2, A (bikes) and BE (car with trailer). My 'full' license already has AM(moped), B(car) and W(tractor).

Must have had a 'type 1' theory test that was kept active by my car as was said.

I have the A2 full but need to add the A. I'll have to get one of those new id cards to do it though but it would mean not needing to get a new picture taken etc so would obviously be faster to do it online. Suppose I'd have to bring in the new IBT cert anyway when I do the progression so won't be able to do that bit online.. probably not worth it for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

How does one find out whether their test is type one or not? Full Cat B license and want to apply for my cat A learners permit, over 24 and did my theory test in 2007

How does one find out whether their test is type one or not? Full Cat B license and want to apply for my cat A learners permit, over 24 and did my theory test in 2007

You only have the type one theory test if you did the car and bike theory test together.

As you done yours in 2007 you didn’t do it so must complete a separate theory test for bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭woody84

You would have had to have done your theory test pre 2006. I know because I went through the whole process. With the handy tips from lads on here I got mine ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Is there a list somewhere of what bikes are learner legal? My wife is expressing an interest in starting up, just want to show her her options. Whole new set of rules since I did my test 8 years or so ago.

She liked our mates blackbird she saw at the weekend. I'll have to break it to her gently that it'll be a while til she can have one!

Is there a list somewhere of what bikes are learner legal?

If your wife is over 24, she can ride unrestricted cat 'A' bikes. She just needs cat 'A' on her learner permit so she can ride any bike she can get insurance on, including a Blackbird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If your wife is over 24, she can ride unrestricted cat 'A' bikes. She just needs cat 'A' on her learner permit so she can ride any bike she can get insurance on, including a Blackbird.

Theres one thing being able to get a blackbird and actually getting insured on it. Id imagine even if you did get a quote, you'd need the lube out as it wont be cheap!

GBX wrote: »
    Theres one thing being able to get a blackbird and actually getting insured on it. Id imagine even if you did get a quote, you'd need the lube out as it wont be cheap!

Sure. I doubt you'd get insurance at all but stranger things have happened. I wouldn't advocate a Blackbird as a learner bike either and I doubt few people would, I was just making the point that lists of 'learner bikes' (eg for people under 24 looking for cat 'A2' bikes) is one thing but if you're over 24, you should just take advantage and get something closer to your wants and needs rather than satisfying statutory requirements. Having said that, I was still a learner and only on bikes about four months when I got my GSX1400.

What I'm saying in real terms is that someone starting today who is over 24 and ambitious is probably a lot closer to their dream bike than they once would have been.

• Advertisement

I couldn’t get insurance on a CBR600F as a learner, so I’d be stunned if any learner starting out got a nice handy quote on a blackbird.

1100cc aren’t they?

She's not getting a Blackbird regardless of the laws!! I've gotten quite fond of her now, don't want her killing herself!!

Good to know there's a direct access now though! Been out of the country on and off for a long time so missed quite a bit!! I'll see what she likes that's a bit more reasonable.

Sure. I doubt you'd get insurance at all but stranger things have happened. I wouldn't advocate a Blackbird as a learner bike either and I doubt few people would, I was just making the point that lists of 'learner bikes' (eg for people under 24 looking for cat 'A2' bikes) is one thing but if you're over 24, you should just take advantage and get something closer to your wants and needs rather than satisfying statutory requirements. Having said that, I was still a learner and only on bikes about four months when I got my GSX1400.

What I'm saying in real terms is that someone starting today who is over 24 and ambitious is probably a lot closer to their dream bike than they once would have been.
    In order to do the test for the A then she would need something bigger than the A2 limits? Or does it matter?

In order to do the test for the A then she would need something bigger than the A2 limits? Or does it matter?

She would need an 'A' bike for her IBT and then for her test but I always suggest buying whatever you want and doing the formal stuff on a school bike. For example, a lot of cruisers are 'A2' bikes so doing IBT and practical test on a school CBF600 and going back to the cruiser is the best of all worlds. My instructor didn't even charge for borrowing his Transalp for my test.

Ok, all makes sense! I'll start looking for instructors. The one I did my pretest stuff with has retired now, have to find a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭wallpapers123

Hi Guys,
    New user here. Recently moved here from India, used to ride a KTM Duke 200 for 3-4 years, back home, love riding from the bottom of my heart, would choose a bike over any car any time.

I'm not an Irish citizen but here as a working professional, holding a Public Service Card.
    I'm having lots of queries here regarding the licensing procedure.
    First of all, I'm 29 and I'm looking to get a Triumph Street Triple, which is a 675cc bike, for which I would require an A Category license, according to the NDLS website.
    For which I would need to get a learner's permit to get going.

My doubts are:

Can I buy and use the STriple on road immediately once I get my learner's permit or would I have to wait for the full license?

If I'm allowed to buy the bike on my learner's permit, Can I get it insured on a Learner's permit?

Would it be a better idea to get an A category license but still buy a smaller capacity bike(cheaper insurance cost as well) till the permanent license arrives and then get the STriple on a full license?

PS: I am going through whole 100+ pages on this thread, but if anybody would be able to answer my queries in the meanwhile, would be of great help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Hi Guys,

Can I buy and use the STriple on road immediately once I get my learner's permit or would I have to wait for the full license?

You will need to get a learner permit and do your IBT Training first.

When you have those done you can get quotes for bikes, don't buy one until you know you can get Insured on it. A learner on a Street Triple probably won't happen but you're mature of age which would help.

If I'm allowed to buy the bike on my learner's permit, Can I get it insured on a Learner's permit?

See above.

Would it be a better idea to get an A category license but still buy a smaller capacity bike(cheaper insurance cost as well) till the permanent license arrives and then get the STriple on a full license?

As you are over 24 get a learner permit for category A which covers all bike categories, small and large - there is no restrictions.

I'm 30 and a learner and started on a 125 - I am changing to a 600cc. The 125 was cheap to get on the road on. Carole Nash provided a quote without the IBT done but I had to do it within 30 days. Principle would not quote me without IBT done.

Some 600cc bikes are easier to get Insured on as a learner - I see a lot of Suizuki bandits being rode by learners in Galway. I'm getting a Honda CBF600 which isn't too expensive either - a Honda Hornet is also popular

PS: I am going through whole 100+ pages on this thread, but if anybody would be able to answer my queries in the meanwhile, would be of great help.
    I've answered in red.

I've answered in red.

Thanks IrishGrimReaper!

Would an insurance quote be cheaper if the bike is a used one, rather than a new one?

I can't say, it depends on a lot of things. The main things that provide a cheaper quote is having held a license for a number of years and a NCB - and the risk profile of the bike - and age of the person(you should be ok here though). I've seen some people say on the forum that when they go for a quote on a bike that's valued above a certain threshold that it has to be garaged over night or else the Insurer will not quote.

Not sure what way the Insurance works in India as it seems you can literally hop on a bike and go over there. Over here you will start gaining a No Claims Bonus if you maintain insurance claims free. After your first year and when you renew you will have 1 years no claim bonus.

As you will be starting out fresh without any No Claims bonus don't expect Insurance to be "cheap".

Not sure what way the Insurance works in India as it seems you can literally hop on a bike and go over there.

It's pretty much like that..
    I guess I'll start preparing for the Theory test right away and start stalking donedeal.ie for a budget bike to start with..

Regarding the licence, my advice is always the same - apply for the big bike licence - category 'A'.

You have to do a theory test, get the learner permit, take IBT in category A and then pass a driving test - it's the same expense and trouble to get the medium or small category licence.

Do all the formal stuff on your instructor's big category A bike but buy whatever bike you want for your own use. You can borrow a bike for your test from your instructor.

• Advertisement

Is it mandatory for a learner to own a bike during the first six months after getting the learners permit?
    Or can I just obtain and hold the learners permit and give an IBT after six months and apply for a full license and then get a bike?
    Because getting any bike insured on a learners license would be ridiculously expensive.

It is not compulsory to own a bike while having a permit.

You can get your permit and wait 6 months then do the IBT and your full test. Just bear in mind you need to have the IBT done before you can do your test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I don't think you'd see much of a saving beteeen a learner and full permit with no NCB

Just applied for my test. Have another 8/9 weeks to go to the 6 month mark but I can push the test date back twice or something without losing the fee I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Just applied for my test. Have another 8/9 weeks to go to the 6 month mark but I can push the test date back twice or something without losing the fee I think.
    It will be close to that anyway before your test.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    It will be close to that anyway before your test.

Worst case scenario so I’ll hsve to push it back a few weeks, the RSA page says the average wait is 16 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Worst case scenario so I’ll hsve to push it back a few weeks, the RSA page says the average wait is 16 weeks.

Its about 7/8 weeks in cavan.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Its about 7/8 weeks in cavan.

That's not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok, as I am a newbie I will start here. I need something to do a 20km roundtrip. it will be used maybe 2-3 times a week. I only need for this trip, I have 2 other cars but they are used during the week.

If I look at my license I have a motorbike class of AM, no idea what that is but I would guess very small?

What I was thinking about was a small/cheapish moped. It will do the job. So what size engine can I get? also how much normally would insurance cost? I am over 30 with a clean license for car?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok, as I am a newbie I will start here. I need something to do a 20km roundtrip. it will be used maybe 2-3 times a week. I only need for this trip, I have 2 other cars but they are used during the week.

Is that 20km on motorway? Back roads? Or in a city?

• Advertisement
Advertisement