Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Congratulations.
    I hope I have a similar issue haha what was the question? Do you need to have it physically on your licence to book it or can you do it once you finish your appointment in the NDLS?

Erik was saying to me i needed to physically have it. I assume they need the driver number and so on

Sorry Banana Republic, only found the question now

When driving on a national a national road what should a motorcyclist do to improve their ability to see in very heavy rain

A) Reduce Speed
    B) Increase Speed
    C) Lift the visor of their helmet fully
    D) Wear extra eye protection

I figured it was either A or C, and more than likely A.... Then picked C!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Erik was saying to me i needed to physically have it. I assume they need the driver number and so on

If you have a previous licence number surely that would do if you applied at the NDLS centre surely you’d have a reference for that seems you won’t need the physical licence until the day of the training? Did you apply via NDLS yet?

Sorry Banana Republic, only found the question now

When driving on a national a national road what should a motorcyclist do to improve their ability to see in very heavy rain

A) Reduce Speed
    B) Increase Speed
    C) Lift the visor of their helmet fully
    D) Wear extra eye protection

I figured it was either A or C, and more than likely A.... Then picked C!! :o

A, I think is correct. Promotes safety by going slower would be my thinking but hey 39/40 is some going :D

If you have a previous licence number surely that would do if you applied at the NDLS centre surely you’d have a reference for that seems you won’t need the physical licence until the day of the training? Did you apply via NDLS yet?

Have the appointment next week, so have to get and fill out the fomr.

I wonder if i could do it online, as i have the government id card, that would have all my details

A, I think is correct. Promotes safety by going slower would be my thinking but hey 39/40 is some going :D

Yeah, it was A. I found that usually with those "there could be 2 answers" questions, pick the one that involves going slower!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭dubal2008

there are a few questions that could have more than one answer, especially the one when going over the crest of a hill......
    and Knuckle dont forget the eye test before going in for the license

dubal2008 wrote: »
    there are a few questions that could have more than one answer, especially the one when going over the crest of a hill......

Over the crest of the hill has the most random answers doesn’t it? Haha I recently got my Full Car Licence renewed and didn’t need an eye test. Is this @knucklehead6 first licence?

Over the crest of the hill has the most random answers doesn’t it? Haha I recently got my Full Car Licence renewed and didn’t need an eye test. Is this @knucklehead6 first licence?

Yep, all those hazards that are coincidentally waiting just over the brow!!

Nope, been driving a car for 20 odd years. Same as you didn’t need an eye test.

I took a chance and applied on line. I’ll either get a provisional next week or I’ve wasted €35.

I found it weird that I didn’t need the test certificate but it might have been recognised from PPS number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Stand on the pegs and give it a blast at the top?!

• Advertisement

Yep, all those hazards that are coincidentally waiting just over the brow!!

Nope, been driving a car for 20 odd years. Same as you didn’t need an eye test.

I took a chance and applied on line. I’ll either get a provisional next week or I’ve wasted €35.

I found it weird that I didn’t need the test certificate but it might have been recognised from PPS number.

It’ll request it if needed, handy way to do it if it’s effective.

It’ll request it if needed, handy way to do it if it’s effective.

I’ll let you know during the week! 😂

Passed my Theory Test 36/40 first question threw me, asking about a turnabout wasn’t sure weather they meant U-Turn or Full 360 but hey ho I step closer. Booked Licence appointment for June 29th it’s fairly block booked. You can book before you do your theory as you can cancel without having to pay a fee just so you aren’t waiting so long. A little cheat way of doing it.

I'd say you were fair sweating after the first one went bad...... good luck

I’ll let you know during the week! ��

That worked... Just got my learner permit after applying online. Did theory test on Thursday, applied online on Friday, licence just arrived into my sweaty little paws today!!

Emailed IBT on clarity yesterday on pre-booking after passing the theory and this was the answer:

“You will need to have the learner permit before training otherwise our insurance doesn't cover you to use the bike.”
    My question is can I pre-book it anyway and just give my driver number as it is cause it’ll be the same one when I get my permit plus there is a 2 month waiting list so I’ll have the Learner Permitby the time it swings around? What do you all think before I email them back, thanks.

I'd say you were fair sweating after the first one went bad...... good luck

Yea but I ended up getting it right lol just didn’t come across that terminology on the app at all. No harm done all good. It was good that you could go back and flag questions and recheck. Also you had to say you’re finished about 5 times so you don’t accidentally finish without meaning too. It was a good environment too with putting your stuff in the locker, cleaning your hands and I was there 30 mins before my scheduled time and they just left me in so done it in 13mins and was home well before my original appointment time.

That worked... Just got my learner permit after applying online. Did theory test on Thursday, applied online on Friday, licence just arrived into my sweaty little paws today!!

Might just try now today, perfect. Let me know how booking IBT goes and the timeframe please if you don’t mind :D Congrats again

when i arrived to do the IBT he took a photocopy of the license as they have to send it off to RSA when you have passed with other paperwork so you can take a chance that you will have it but may run the risk of not having it by the date

• Advertisement

If anyone has any issues verifying via MyGovId Here’s the number to ring 071 967 2616 verified within 2 mins. Few security questions and PPS number. Requests PSC number but I don’t have a Public Services Card so I’m snookered lol

How long does it take to register online cause mine is only indicating An car with a trailer license it won’t let me add A Licence for Bike? Is it because it’s a new Licence not a renewal?

How long does it take to register online cause mine is only indicating An car with a trailer license it won’t let me add A Licence for Bike? Is it because it’s a new Licence not a renewal?

Mine was new as well, but i have the PSC Card and a verified MyGov ID, so that might have been why it went through. It picked up straight away that i was looking for the Motorbike licences

Mine was new as well, but i have the PSC Card and a verified MyGov ID, so that might have been why it went through. It picked up straight away that i was looking for the Motorbike licences

Yea I got the PSC number from that number earlier n it only gave me BE Car trailer option. The screenshot is all greyed out so can’t pick Bike ones, did you pick all the bike ones? I can only think it’s not updated on the system yet so may leave it a few more days n recheck it.

Yea I got the PSC number from that number earlier n it only gave me BE Car trailer option. The screenshot is all greyed out so can’t pick Bike ones, did you pick all the bike ones? I can only think it’s not updated on the system yet so may leave it a few more days n recheck it.

I didn't need to pick them, it automatically picked them for me. I was a tad dubious about it as it never asked me for the Cert number from Prometric. Maybe give it the night, as i tried online the next day, so it might take a bit of time to update

I didn't need to pick them, it automatically picked them for me. I was a tad dubious about it as it never asked me for the Cert number from Prometric. Maybe give it the night, as i tried online the next day, so it might take a bit of time to update

Yea I’ll leave it off , it’s very weird it’s picking up car with a trailer, had to check the cert again just to make sure :D The cert is updated online once you go into validate it from the email I received yesterday anyway.

• Advertisement

Yea I’ll leave it off , it’s very weird it’s picking up car with a trailer, had to check the cert again just to make sure :D The cert is updated online once you go into validate it from the email I received yesterday anyway.

Did you get any joy? I've found a lad who's giving the IBT at the moment. It's in Dublin, so i'm not too sure if that suits you?

Just off a call to Richard in Roadskills and he saidthey are only taking bookings as of when you have the physical license as the return time of the licenses are sketchy (my own word not his lol) at the minute. No bike gear at all, one day classroom and second day in the compound/road on the bike. Classroom can consist of 3/4 riders and bike would be just by yourself. At the moment taking payments on the first day. With bookings he doesn’t want to be taking them unless you have the license cause he doesn’t want a raft of cancellations. Also he’s changing some procedures there in terms of payment. So brand new beginner is 495.00 for 2 day course. By the sounds of it spent be too much of a hold up if they are taking 3/4 ppl per classroom on the first day.

Did you get any joy? I've found a lad who's giving the IBT at the moment. It's in Dublin, so i'm not too sure if that suits you?

Thanks for letting me know, I don’t know the roads of Dublin so I’ll wait it out for the Waterford one to see the date once I get my license, as I said above I get the impression it’ll be quick enough. No luck on the NDSL website, still only showing that Car trailer license. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ricksanchez

Could you PM me please?
    No bike gear at all, one day classroom and second day in the compound/road on the bike. So brand new beginner is 495.00 for 2 day course.

So would that mean you've to buy your own gear for the IBT now? Was wondering about that alright, especially the helmets...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'd like to also know as i need to renew as mines expired.

• Advertisement

Could you PM me please?

So would that mean you've to buy your own gear for the IBT now? Was wondering about that alright, especially the helmets...

Yea you need to buy your own gear, it’s a bigger commitment now to get all the gear. Maybe it’s only the Hi Vis that they provide but he definitely said they don’t provide the PPE anymore as they don’t want to take the risk for the riders. In fairness if you are going to cough up 495:00 or there about a for IBT then you are going to be fairly committed anyway. Do you have all the gear yourself and what’s your plan? Fingers crossed I’ll have it done and bike bought by September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ricksanchez

Yea you need to buy your own gear, it’s a bigger commitment now to get all the gear. Maybe it’s only the Hi Vis that they provide but he definitely said they don’t provide the PPE anymore as they don’t want to take the risk for the riders. In fairness if you are going to cough up 495:00 or there about a for IBT then you are going to be fairly committed anyway. Do you have all the gear yourself and what’s your plan? Fingers crossed I’ll have it done and bike bought by September.

No plan as of yet mate, just figure out who I can do the IBT with and when! Going to make a few calls tomorrow and hopefully get an idea of it. Would love to be up and running by then myself.

Yeah you're right about the commitment, I prefer the idea of having my own gear tbh, with the waiting times I should be able to pick it all up bit by bit until it's time for the IBT and have no excuse to back out :cool: And if I get on the bike and it's not for me... There's always adverts to pass it along :pac:

No plan as of yet mate, just figure out who I can do the IBT with and when! Going to make a few calls tomorrow and hopefully get an idea of it. Would love to be up and running by then myself.

Yeah you're right about the commitment, I prefer the idea of having my own gear tbh, with the waiting times I should be able to pick it all up bit by bit until it's time for the IBT and have no excuse to back out :cool: And if I get on the bike and it's not for me... There's always adverts to pass it along :pac:

Absolutely agree, I’ve picked up bit by bit. Buying the helmet next week, jacket and jeans then I’ll have it all. Much prefer my own gear too, couple less things to get used to on the day. Fun watching TV in boots and gloves haha. Hopefully you’ll get a good IBT and you get on the road too :D

Sorry for the delay lads. I'm going to admit to being totally selfish and wanted to make sure i had my own slot booked and paid for before sharing!! :p

http://www.adsmotoring.com/

I've booked in for 9th and 10th July, that was the next available slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Couple of questions if someone has the time :-)

Recently passed the bike theory test and have scheduled an appointment for the provisional licence with NDLS

55year old I had a Suzuki gsx250 bike back in 87 for a few years but never did a test
    Looking to get something that could be used for commuting from Wicklow to city Center

Slightly confused with applying for A or A2 put off going straight to A as I got the impression that it had to be a more powerful bike for the A test
    I was thinking along the lines of a 250 or so
    what do you guys think is there much of a difference between doing a test on a 250 or a 600 cc ?
    Thanks

Also any recommendations for the IBT in Wicklow much appreciated or insurance companies that will insure a bike and car as you can only be in / on one or the other at one time :-)
    Cheers

I,m 56 and just done the A IBT and from years ago I rode a 125 and a 250 and the modern Z650 felt as tame as an old 250, super easy to handle and felt more control able than the 125 I started the IBT on. As a computer you should be looking at something with a bit of wind protection, some fairing and windsheild on the front and Wicklow is not to far now but the main issue will be not being legal to ride on the motorway till full test done so backroads all the way in. I have my car with Aviva and have been offered first time policy on an ER650N for €550

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Recently passed the bike theory test and have scheduled an appointment for the provisional licence with NDLS

55year old I had a Suzuki gsx250 bike back in 87 for a few years but never did a test
    Looking to get something that could be used for commuting from Wicklow to city Center

Slightly confused with applying for A or A2 put off going straight to A as I got the impression that it had to be a more powerful bike for the A test
    what do you guys think is there much of a difference between doing a test on a 250 or a 600 cc ?
    Thanks

Also any recommendations for the IBT in Wicklow much appreciated or insurance companies that will insure a bike and car as you can only be in / on one or the other at one time :-)
    Cheers

Definitley get a A 600+. Especially for a longer commute. If you get a 250 you'd be looking to change in a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Thanks

Cheers
    Definitely apply for the A, the cost will be identical. You'll do the IBT on probably a CBf600 or similar. 4 stroke 250s from the 80s are incomparable to modern motorcycles. Mind you the GSX250 or Honda 250 superdream were beautiful bikes to look at back then. That CBF600 is so simple and smooth to ride I'll be shocked if you consider a 250 after riding one.

Sorry for the delay lads. I'm going to admit to being totally selfish and wanted to make sure i had my own slot booked and paid for before sharing!! :p

Haha Gotta put yourself first, just report back with your findings is all I ask lol

I,m 56 and just done the A IBT and from years ago I rode a 125 and a 250 and the modern Z650 felt as tame as an old 250, super easy to handle and felt more control able than the 125 I started the IBT on. As a computer you should be looking at something with a bit of wind protection, some fairing and windsheild on the front and Wicklow is not to far now but the main issue will be not being legal to ride on the motorway till full test done so backroads all the way in. I have my car with Aviva and have been offered first time policy on an ER650N for €550

Thanks a million for your reply :-) and your advice RE: the comparison of the old Vs the new & and advice re fairing and windshield on the wet and windy Wicklow way
    The old GSX250E that I had was a heavy old yoke alright
    Also yes the inability to go on the motorway will slow things down a little but slow n steady will be the name of the game alright
    I would imagine that even with that in mind I could still make it in and back with considerable time savings on getting the bus at 6am and taking 1.5hrs

Also the car insurance is up in 2 months so could be well worth trying out Aviva
    Thanks
    J

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Definitley get a A 600+. Especially for a longer commute. If you get a 250 you'd be looking to change in a week.
    Thanks I think I will be reprinting the application form and go for the A rather than the A2 that I was thinking about:-)
    Many thanks
    J

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Definitely apply for the A, the cost will be identical. You'll do the IBT on probably a CBf600 or similar. 4 stroke 250s from the 80s are incomparable to modern motorcycles. Mind you the GSX250 or Honda 250 superdream were beautiful bikes to look at back then. That CBF600 is so simple and smooth to ride I'll be shocked if you consider a 250 after riding one.
    Thanks for the reply the cbf 600 looks like a lovely machine
    I had the suzuki and the neghbour had the 250N superdream
    I had a quick spin around on my brothers Bandit 600 some years ago
    some machine

Looking forward to taking a Sunday morning scoot around the Wicklow mountains also as it would be in my back yard so to speak :-)
    So yeah think it may be worth going straight for the A licence
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭horse7

Thanks a million for your reply :-) and your advice RE: the comparison of the old Vs the new & and advice re fairing and windshield on the wet and windy Wicklow way
    The old GSX250E that I had was a heavy old yoke alright
    Also yes the inability to go on the motorway will slow things down a little but slow n steady will be the name of the game alright
    I would imagine that even with that in mind I could still make it in and back with considerable time savings on getting the bus at 6am and taking 1.5hrs

Also the car insurance is up in 2 months so could be well worth trying out Aviva
    Thanks
    J
    . I don't think Aviva will cover the bike.

€320 just to renew module 5!? :mad:

Sure i paid €400 for the lot last time!

Ordered my first Motorcycle helmet today from Dohertys Motorcycles in (Mayors Walk) Waterford, LS2 Storm with Pinlock €135, they were very helpful first time buying a helmet so fit on a couple of helmets in different sizes as it was my first time I found the help great and settled on the Black Matte finish. They have test balaclavas for each customer to wear for fitting on the helmets so good safety procedures. Takes a few days to order in. Great overall service I would definitely recommend if you are in Waterford or surrounding areas.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    €320 just to renew module 5!? :mad:

Sure i paid €400 for the lot last time!

He’s charging me 495 for the lot. Which seems to be the normal price around the place

He’s charging me 495 for the lot. Which seems to be the normal price around the place

Same with IBT from Roadskills by Waterford Airport.

One place was charging that just for module 5! Where others are doing it for €300. It's a piece of paper for me at the end of the day.

Should have got the test done ages ago.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    One place was charging that just for module 5! Where others are doing it for €300. It's a piece of paper for me at the end of the day.

Should have got the test done ages ago.

Ah sure look it’s gotta be done, I was only saying today it’s an expensive pursuit at the start but I’d say the rewards are absolutely worth it. :D

• Advertisement

Guys
    Is there any limit to the age of a bike you can get insured ?

You know like with a car companies don't want anything over 10 years

I picked up a lid and jacket and got the eye test done
    will be getting the learner permit in 2 weeks and I have started to trawl through the adverts looking for something to start off on :-)

And it just struck me that a lot of the bikes on donedeal / adverts can be quite old

Thanks for your help
    J

Advertisement