Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

^^^
    As far as I can tell bikes over about 20 or 25 years old might likely need to go on a classic policy. Insurance companies here are touch and go sometimes you have no issues with them and sometimes its a nightmare trying to jump through all those loops. I am not aware of say a 10-year-old bike been a problem.
    Good luck with things flashinthepan.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

^^^
    As far as I can tell bikes over about 20 or 25 years old might likely need to go on a classic policy. Insurance companies here are touch and go sometimes you have no issues with them and sometimes its a nightmare trying to jump through all those loops. I am not aware of say a 10-year-old bike been a problem.
    Good luck with things flashinthepan.

My 26 year old Super Four has been zero bother to get insured since I got her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

IBT booked for the start of August with Roadskills, 2 separate dates a few days apart which I don’t mind plus he’s selling second hand gear that he can’t use anymore so might pick up a bargain jacket or pants :D Provides the HI VIZ. €495.00 One 2 One Training on the bike. Complete new beginner. Very excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

IBT booked for the start of August with Roadskills, 2 separate dates a few days apart which I don’t mind plus he’s selling second hand gear that he can’t use anymore so might pick up a bargain jacket or pants :D Provides the HI VIZ. €495.00 One 2 One Training on the bike. Complete new beginner. Very excited.

I’m like a kid at Christmas here. Paid the insurance yesterday. Just need the IBT now, 10 days and counting

I’m like a kid at Christmas here. Paid the insurance yesterday. Just need the IBT now, 10 days and counting

Insurance on your bike? Ohh u got it as a present if I recall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Folks as the title says what's best ?
    Textile over trousers or motorbike jeans or leathers

Would something like these offer any protection at all
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Motorbike-Over-Trousers-Motorcycle-Waterproof-CE-Knee-Armour-Rain-Scooter-Biker/362437026441?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Motorbike-Motorcycle-Trousers-Waterproof-Cordura-With-CE-Armour-Protection-Biker/132488253620?hash=item1ed8ea50b4:g:HdoAAOSwULJe54UM

Would they be any use for commuting or are they too cheap to be of any use ?

What would you guys recommend please

Thanks

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Motorbike-Over-Trousers-Motorcycle-Waterproof-CE-Knee-Armour-Rain-Scooter-Biker/362437026441?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Motorbike-Motorcycle-Trousers-Waterproof-Cordura-With-CE-Armour-Protection-Biker/132488253620?hash=item1ed8ea50b4:g:HdoAAOSwULJe54UM

Thanks

On gear, the way I think of it is this...

If (gods forbid) you come off the bike, especially at speed... How useful will that €50 or €100 you saved be to you?

I'd recommend getting decent used bike gear (not a helmet, preferably though) over questionable new gear. You're literally trusting the gear to protect your skin against shredding and being flayed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Insurance on your bike? Ohh u got it as a present if I recall?

Yep. Been sitting in my garage the past few weeks. Like a big tease.

On gear, the way I think of it is this...

If (gods forbid) you come off the bike, especially at speed... How useful will that €50 or €100 you saved be to you?

I'd recommend getting decent used bike gear (not a helmet, preferably though) over questionable new gear. You're literally trusting the gear to protect your skin against shredding and being flayed off.
    Thanks Jimmy
    that's why I wanted to ask its been 30 years since i had a bike and in those days it was just jeans and oilskins if it was bucketing down

I don't mind paying i was just not sure what the standard was these days
    Cheers

Thanks Jimmy
    that's why I wanted to ask its been 30 years since i had a bike and in those days it was just jeans and oilskins if it was bucketing down

I don't mind paying i was just not sure what the standard was these days
    Cheers

I usually look at SportBikeShop in the UK, and then realise that Cotters in Ballymount match their prices anyways :)

You'd hopefully get a pair of decent pants for €100-150. Kevlar jeans are nice for casual wear around town or the shops, then either leather or textile for longer or faster trips.
    I keep finding Richa make really decent stuff for relatively good prices. I never intended to stick to them, but so far I've gotten 2 x pairs jeans, a leather jacket and a pair of winter gloves by them. Looks good, performs well in my experience.

• Advertisement

Yep. Been sitting in my garage the past few weeks. Like a big tease.

Hahaha least you can sit on it and start it up to get comfy on it. I just have dreams at the minute lol

Thanks

I got gloves off that supplier and although I haven’t used them yet, my friends who are bikers have said they are good quality and feel good when I wear them and CE approved but there’s far more experienced then me here. Just my input on what I’ve bought. For me it would need minimum CE approved and Knee and Hip protection for pants.

I usually look at SportBikeShop in the UK, and then realise that Cotters in Ballymount match their prices anyways :)

You'd hopefully get a pair of decent pants for €100-150. Kevlar jeans are nice for casual wear around town or the shops, then either leather or textile for longer or faster trips.
    I keep finding Richa make really decent stuff for relatively good prices. I never intended to stick to them, but so far I've gotten 2 x pairs jeans, a leather jacket and a pair of winter gloves by them. Looks good, performs well in my experience.
    Thanks again Jimmy :-)
    Will certainly give them a look
    Ta
    J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Thanks

You can get known brand stuff for a little bit more money, try sports bike shop as per Jimmy. They always have something on sale and I think there's almost always a deal to be had whatever you're in the market for.

On what type of gear is best, I know it's tempting to go for leathers or jeans now. But I would suggest textiles to anyone starting out, they're suitable for all conditions and seasons assuming you get wp gear. For commuting 100% textiles imo, as can be worn over clothes easily. I have full leathers but for going to work I wear textile and I had kevlar jeans but gave them away as they're useless and are more for posers (cafe racers and cruisers, I'm talking about you XD)

Also try your IBT Centres as they are selling off all their liras they can’t provide us anymore, Richard Thompson with Roadskills was telling me he’s selling his gear for big discounts so try your local IBT. I’ll be certainly looking into it, thanks for the heads up on textiles gear everyone.

Bought my first Motorbike Helmet today in Doherty Motorcycles in Mayors Walk, Waterford
    LS2 Storm FF800 Matte Black €135 PINLOCK included, delighted with it.

518504.jpg

I picked up a HJC I90
    and fluro Textile jacket

Will get the gloves and pants next couple weeks as trying to spread the cost :-)

518504.jpg

I picked up a HJC I90
    and fluro Textile jacket

Will get the gloves and pants next couple weeks as trying to spread the cost :-)
    That’s cool I like the look of that helmet. Yea my mates giving me jacket and pants for the IBT not a cheap thing to get started in for sure.

Well
    Had a look on sportsbike shop last night and came away €160 lighter :-)
    Picked up some waterproof Richa Textile Trousers and gloves
    ( Thanks Jimmy )

Boots n lock will have to wait till next month :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

has anyone done their test in Dun Laoghaire ?
    Anything to look out for, have mine coming up soon, but i don't know the area well.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yeah I did it there about 6 months ago. Pretty handy route, nothing unusual or any weird roads.

Grand, hopefully be like the IBT then, i did mine out in Finglas in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Hi lads, have the ibt done and starting sussing out insurance for my first bike. Going into this as a complete rookie and don't really know any bikers locally. Am I right in presuming dealers won't let me test drive at all?

sm3ar wrote: »
    Hi lads, have the ibt done and starting sussing out insurance for my first bike. Going into this as a complete rookie and don't really know any bikers locally. Am I right in presuming dealers won't let me test drive at all?

Some might, I know Harley's dealership do a deal where they combine an IBT with a new bike, so I'm guessing they have leeway with provisional licence holder test rides. (that's NOT me recommending the HD dealership by the way!)

Some might, I know Harley's dealership do a deal where they combine an IBT with a new bike, so I'm guessing they have leeway with provisional licence holder test rides. (that's NOT me recommending the HD dealership by the way!)

In a case where they wouldn't allow test ride, what should I be looking out for in general and what checks should I be doing on the bike before purchasing?

In a case where they wouldn't allow test ride, what should I be looking out for in general and what checks should I be doing on the bike before purchasing?

If you buy from a dealer you’ll get a warranty and bring it to a mechanic straight away. Do you have anyone at all that you know that has a bike or mechanically minded? I’m sure more experienced bikers here can link a video or info to look out for if you’re going to buy private by yourself.

Stupid question, perhaps, but how do you actually buy your first bike?

I don't mind bending the rules and not being insured when I'm test-driving a car I want, as I know i'm unlikely to have an issue during a test drive. On a first-time bike, though.. i wouldn't trust myself.

Also, with no insurance, how do you get it home? I presume people aren't actually paying over the odds for tow trucks and such? I can understand many may take the chance if they're experienced, but im talking about people who have never actually gotten their ass on a bike seat before.

Also, is there a "bangernomics" thread equivalent in the biking forum? (bangernomics is a thread on the car forum where people post up cheap and cheerful cars for sale. They might be a bit rough or old, but they're road legal and generally suitable as learner cars.. and cheap.. generally very cheap).

If you buy from a dealer you’ll get a warranty and bring it to a mechanic straight away. Do you have anyone at all that you know that has a bike or mechanically minded? I’m sure more experienced bikers here can link a video or info to look out for if you’re going to buy private by yourself.

I know one or two but not near enough that they could come with me. The best I could do is send em a pic and be like what do ye think. Maybe I just being over cautious about it and just have to take the plunge!

I know one or two but not near enough that they could come with me. The best I could do is send em a pic and be like what do ye think. Maybe I just being over cautious about it and just have to take the plunge!

Actually just for my info as well, what would a standard service on a bike cost me roughly?

Also can anyone recommend an insurance company? I've my car and house with Bank of Ireland (RSA) but they won't quote for commercial vehicles, or motorbikes, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

'Roadcraft Nottingham' on YouTube recently did a walk through video on what to look for when buying a second hand motorbike. Well worth a look.

https://youtu.be/HZbt9Dg1uXQ

https://youtu.be/0eNlQWymzEo

Also can anyone recommend an insurance company? I've my car and house with Bank of Ireland (RSA) but they won't quote for commercial vehicles, or motorbikes, etc.

i'm with principal insurance, they gave the best quote for a learner to me in January

I don't mind bending the rules and not being insured when I'm test-driving a car I want, as I know i'm unlikely to have an issue during a test drive. On a first-time bike, though.. i wouldn't trust myself.

Also, with no insurance, how do you get it home? I presume people aren't actually paying over the odds for tow trucks and such? I can understand many may take the chance if they're experienced, but im talking about people who have never actually gotten their ass on a bike seat before.

Also, is there a "bangernomics" thread equivalent in the biking forum? (bangernomics is a thread on the car forum where people post up cheap and cheerful cars for sale. They might be a bit rough or old, but they're road legal and generally suitable as learner cars.. and cheap.. generally very cheap).

My thinking when I go for my first bike would that I’d have the IBT done so I’ll have confidence, bring my friend he can take it for a test drive and look at it for me and I’m planning to ring around with insurance companies with the Reg before I view it and then if I decide to take it I’ll just ring up the insurance company and get it insured straight away and drive it home. My question is is the insurance like cars they’ll temp cover you while they are sending the forms out for you to sign? If so my plan sounds great haha :D

Watch the video the poster put up there and go with your gut but my friend says check for any leaks and make sure it starts up with no issues and check for scratches and take your time it’s your money if the seller doesn’t give you the time to check it proper then walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

If the form you are getting sent to sign is the proposal form outling your particulars then you don't need to sign that.

Proof read it to make sure its accurate and if it is do nothing - if wrong ring them and get them to amend it.

Once you tell them to incept the policy from whatever date the policy should go into effect from 00.01am of that date.

If the form you are getting sent to sign is the proposal form outling your particulars then you don't need to sign that.

Proof read it to make sure its accurate and if it is do nothing - if wrong ring them and get them to amend it.

Once you tell them to incept the policy from whatever date the policy should go into effect from 00.01am of that date.

Cheers, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 InvoXx

Hey guys,

As this is a topic for newbies, I really want to ask for your opinion.

Having a motorcycle was a dream of mine for a long long time. Back in my home country the rules are totally different, we don't have different categories, just A, and we don't have learner permits at all. Never had a license there, was only driving a car. Have 12 years of car experience, so not really new with driving overall.

I am nearly 33, and I am having my Theory exam next Tuesday. If I understand correctly, after I pass the exam I can apply for the learner permit, and I will need to choose the category I am applying for.

As I've never drove a motorcycle before, I am thinking if that would be a good idea to go for the A2 license instead of A? I don't want to spend a lot of money for the first motorcycle, and I want to buy the first bike with the aim to go into driving test with it. If I understand correctly, A2 bikes would be cheaper than A bikes, and if I choose A as my category, I can only go into the exam with the A category bikes, A2 or A1 ones won't be accepted.

So considering that, should I apply for A2 and buy A2 bike, or should I go for A and try to find a bike for that category? I want to go for second hand bike first, and spend up to 1500 euro for it. Is it possible to even find something in ok condition for that price that will fit A2 or A category? And, maybe, any advice on the models I should take a look at?

Sorry for a lot of text, and thank you in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Apply for your full A license. Don't go the A2 when you're old enough for the full A. Tick all the boxes on the form when you go to the NDLS office to apply for the permit.

When you are doing your IBT you can get a loan of bike from the instructor.

An older A class 600cc bike isn't going to break the bank and as long as you don't right it off if you sell it after a year it should maintain most of it's value.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-sv650-naked-bike/25266197
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-hornet-600/25168321
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2002-suzuki-bandit-600/25152229?campaign=14
    Not too sure if they have a feul gauge some of the experiend forum members will know. A quick goolgle check sayus the bandit model from 2002 onwards has one.

Those are some of the most popular bikes for what you're looking for. I've seen a tonne of people on Bandits as learners.

Considering your age you're probably going to pay about the same for insurance on an A bike as you would for an A2 bike.

My first insurance was approx 550ish on a 125cc it was around the same for a Honda CBF600 (2008 model) and Honda Hornet 600 (2007 model).

Thank you so much for that!

Now I know what to look for :)

I really appreciate your help!

InvoXx wrote: »
    Thank you so much for that!

Now I know what to look for :)

I really appreciate your help!

I was in same scenario, thinking A would be too powerful, trust me you'll be grand

Watch the video the poster put up there and go with your gut but my friend says check for any leaks and make sure it starts up with no issues and check for scratches and take your time it’s your money if the seller doesn’t give you the time to check it proper then walk away.

Would most shops be happy enough to deliver it if it's local enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

In order to legally ride the bike on public roads you need to have your learner/full permit, have done your IBT and have insurance for the bike. I assume you have the first two (permit & IBT) so for insurance if you have your eye on a particular bike ring up the insurance companies (Principal, Carole Nash and Liberty - no online quotes unfortunately) with the details of the bike. As Grim says you can tell the insurance company when you want the policy to start.

What I did was find the bike I wanted at a dealers, agreed a price, paid a deposit and went off and sorted insurance as the dealer was to service the bike as part of the sale. When I came back with the balance the following Saturday insurance was in place so I could ride is home legally. If buying privately might need to arrange insurance on the spot if you end up buying the bike.
    Happy bike shopping :D

I was in same scenario, thinking A would be too powerful, trust me you'll be grand

Exactly my thoughts haha :) thank you, will go for A!

Would most shops be happy enough to deliver it if it's local enough?

Yea, my friend got his delivered from JR Motorcycles to Waterford City for €100. Any bike shop worth its salt will deliver the bike to you. They’ll tell you on the spot if they can deliver.

Yea, my friend got his delivered from JC Motorcycles to Waterford City for €100. Any bike shop worth its salt will deliver the bike to you. They’ll tell you on the spot if they can deliver.

Cool, where are JC based?

Cool, where are JC based?

My bad JR Motorcycles Wexford, one of the best importers of American Bikes. Some beauties they have.

http://jrmotorcycleswexford.com/used-bikes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There isn't one because what they call bangernomics is pretty much the norm in the biking world.

As Irish Grim Reaper pointed out, plenty of older bikes around in reasonable condition for not too much money. You'll pay a premium for shiny cosmetics but that shouldn't be a concern for your first bike.

Bikes don't age the same way as cars. They last a lot longer. Average mileage is a lot lower. Body rust or other structural issues kill off a lot of older cars because cost of repair is more than it's worth. Plenty of bikes on the road 20+ years old in daily use. Once they get past ten years old they depreciate very slowly if at all as long as they run well. So you could learn to ride on a bike, pass your test, ride it for a year, get your no claims bonus and then look at trading up if you want, and get all or nearly all of what you paid for the first bike back as long as you didn't crash it :)

Scrap the cap!

Got so my bike gear sorted, bought Jacket and Pants off my friend for €50 :D
    I’ve the full kit now and IBT training next month.

Boots cost €95, LS2 Helmet €135 (Dohertys Motorcycles Waterford) , Jacket & Pants €50 (Friend 2nd hand)

Gloves €40 eBay https://www.ebay.ie/itm/183757061873

Dia De Los Muertos Neck Tube for €5 on eBay, https://www.ebay.ie/itm/372452456187

Backpack cost €20 on eBay (reflectors on it too) Great bag I’ve used this for weekend trips to the UK and they fit perfect in the Ryanair carry on bag.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/153960780865 (Similar to mine)

Friend gave me the high vis with L Plates for free too, passed it on as a good luck so I’ll do the same in the future. Also have a First Aid kit from my last Audi to use for the bike trips.

Hhfv

In order to legally ride the bike on public roads you need to have your learner/full permit, have done your IBT and have insurance for the bike.

See there you go - learned something new.

I didn't realise IBT was necessary for road-riding. I just assumed it was the same as cars (although lessons are necessary to be done for the test itself, you can still belt away on the roads without having completed any).

I didn't realise IBT was necessary for just getting out and about.

Also, another silly question, what's the craic with wing mirrors? Are they a requirement? It seems to vary randomly whether a bike will have mirrors or not? (based on my random Donedeal scrolling)

• Advertisement
Advertisement