Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Cheepah wrote: »
    It's a 2020 model but I am buying it new yeah. I've done a bit of testing on liberty's site there, since the general value I've seen of the bike going is around 4,000, I put the value as 3,999 which did knock the insurance price down to 1,400. That's with the annual KM as 2,000, a gps tagging device and locked in a garage connected to the house, in the middle of nowhere. Also have myself down as a 22 year old fully employed clerical officer.

First bike? I wouldn’t go buying anything new. Go for an older one, because you WILL drop it or, as I did, scrape it against a wall in the garage when putting it to bed for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cheepah

sm3ar wrote: »
    Is that with it parked in a shed?

Parked in a garage yeah. Bit of a pain that there's so few insurance companies here. Usually with the car you can get a few quotes to try make them fight for the best deal. But I feel like if I grand carol nash and said "yeah liberty can do it a grand cheaper, can you match that at all?" That they'd just laugh and hang up

First bike? I wouldn’t go buying anything new. Go for an older one, because you WILL drop it or, as I did, scrape it against a wall in the garage when putting it to bed for the night.

I did have a lot of debating with myself whether to go new or used, knowing that I will ens up dropping and scratching the bollox off it. But from looking around, there's not a huge jump in price between the used and new ones that I was looking at, and after the nightmare I had with my first couple of used cars, I thought for me atleast, it's worth paying the bit extra to know I'm not going to have the bike a month and have something major go wrong with it. (First car I bought, everything seemed grand, then the ECU went and ended up having to scrap the car for 60 quid just to get it gone from the community parking spot I had at the time). I'm not overly worried about scratches and dents with it, I expect to cause some when learning, sure if I dent the tank when I'm learning, I'll look at the dent down the road and have that memory from learning. That and I wanted the experience of being the first owner of a vehicle, but there's not much hope of me buying a new car any time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Sorry, I thought you said you had the bike already. Man, at 22 you already qualify for the A2, you'll be looking to get shot of the 125 in no time, like a month. I'd steer you away from dumping that money on your first bike, especially one that's a lower category than you qualify for. Trust me, youll be looking to sell it soon. Not wanting to push this too much but I'd encourage you to reconsider your plans... don't buy that bike, instead do the theory, get your permit and do the IBT, then see what your thoughts are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I agree, except for the "WILL" part. If you're careful and do enough practice, it will be well old by the time you get careless :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Spooch

zubair wrote: »
    What value did you give them for the bike and what security will you use? Principal wouldn't quote me initially because my bike was worth over 7k but would be parked off the street. Eventually they rolled over on it, when it was escalated to a manager. Never had an issue insuring the bike since that conversation.

Just add, personally I'd be wary of parking on the street overnight. Are you in Dublin?

It was only valued at 3 grand. No chance I could bring it inside, I'm renting a small terraced gaff in Cork City.
    I thought about the risk of parking it on the street and I'd get a cheaper bike that I wouldn't be too upset if it got knicked/kicked over.

Would it be worth my effort shopping around and seeing if another company would insure it? Or dare I say even lie about it being in the street just tell them it's inside?

Spooch wrote: »
    It was only valued at 3 grand. No chance I could bring it inside, I'm renting a small terraced gaff in Cork City.
    I thought about the risk of parking it on the street and I'd get a cheaper bike that I wouldn't be too upset if it got knicked/kicked over.

Would it be worth my effort shopping around and seeing if another company would insure it? Or dare I say even lie about it being in the street just tell them it's inside?

100% shop around. There's not many that you could call them all. Well if you lie and its parked on the street and it gets stolen it won't be covered.

Sorry, I thought you said you had the bike already. Man, at 22 you already qualify for the A2, you'll be looking to get shot of the 125 in no time, like a month. I'd steer you away from dumping that money on your first bike, especially one that's a lower category than you qualify for. Trust me, youll be looking to sell it soon. Not wanting to push this too much but I'd encourage you to reconsider your plans... don't buy that bike, instead do the theory, get your permit and do the IBT, then see what your thoughts are.

I feel like an important detail I've left out here is that I've got muscular dystrophy, so my muscle density and weight has never been great. So i was mainly looking at 125s to start out with, get my bearings with riding and such on something overly easy to ride, and work up from there to see what I can realistically handle, and if dropped, I'd be able to physically pick back up. I was up at m50 Honda looking between the duke 390 and 125. But I didn't feel overly comfortable handling the 390, along with not getting quotes back on it, is what lead me to the 125. Sorry bit of confusion there, I've not got the bike yet, I've a deposit down on it, was planning on paying the rest off first week of May. In all likelihood I probably will end up moving on from the 125 within a year or two, but my thought process has been more so on getting something I can physically work with, and then moving from there, rather than buying something that I just physically couldn't work with, and then being too anxious or disheartened to go out on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

100% shop around. There's not many that you could call them all. Well if you lie and its parked on the street and it gets stolen it won't be covered.

This, if you claim a €7k bike is parked inside and its actually parked on the street and stolen they will 100% not pay out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

What about even a lightish 250? Should be a sweeter spot between a 125 and 400/500.

I'd echo Zubair, I would NOT go new for a first bike. Like, really. If you have muscular dystrophy and are already sizing down cos of not being able to handle a bigger bike, your chances of dropping (and not being able to rescue) a 125 are still high. And you will HATE yourself if you drop a new bike.

Cheepah wrote: »
    I feel like an important detail I've left out here is that I've got muscular dystrophy, so my muscle density and weight has never been great. So i was mainly looking at 125s to start out with, get my bearings with riding and such on something overly easy to ride, and work up from there to see what I can realistically handle, and if dropped, I'd be able to physically pick back up. I was up at m50 Honda looking between the duke 390 and 125. But I didn't feel overly comfortable handling the 390, along with not getting quotes back on it, is what lead me to the 125. Sorry bit of confusion there, I've not got the bike yet, I've a deposit down on it, was planning on paying the rest off first week of May. In all likelihood I probably will end up moving on from the 125 within a year or two, but my thought process has been more so on getting something I can physically work with, and then moving from there, rather than buying something that I just physically couldn't work with, and then being too anxious or disheartened to go out on it.

My point was more about doing the IBT before buying a bike. And I don't think buying new for a first bike is a good call, dropping it etc aside, it's your first bike, not your last, you'll be selling it before you know it and it'll lose 1k in value once it's passed the dealers gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

100% agree with this, get an A2 bike

Anyone hearing anything about tests opening up at the minute. I heard the dun laoghaire sent out a batch of test times last month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Anyone hearing anything about tests opening up at the minute. I heard the dun laoghaire sent out a batch of test times last month

They sent out a batch Friday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

What would you say is the pass rate on bike test?

Is it considered hard to pass?

• Advertisement

They sent out a batch Friday morning.

For which test centre was that?

For which test centre was that?

Dun Laoighre

Dun Laoighre

Never got the mail

Dun Laoighre

Had you registered as "essential"?

Had you registered as "essential"?

Yes, I am deemed essential

• Advertisement

Anyone know are they actually asking for "proof" that you are essential worker when going for test these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Anyone know are they actually asking for "proof" that you are essential worker when going for test these days?

Yes, they looked for paperwork from a friend of mine before starting his test.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Yes, they looked for paperwork from a friend of mine before starting his test.

Something from HR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have a letter from my MD. It also gives his personal phone number so that my status can be verified. I've been stopped at various checkpoints and at one they actually rang him to confirm...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I have a letter from my MD. It also gives his personal phone number so that my status can be verified. I've been stopped at various checkpoints and at one they actually rang him to confirm...

Christ

Also is there any info on if they will extend the permit expirys because of all of this because mine expires in a few months and if I don't get called for the test then what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Also is there any info on if they will extend the permit expirys because of all of this because mine expires in a few months and if I don't get called for the test then what happens

There's a calculator thing on the rsa website somewhere that will tell you the new expiry. If not and you're going for your third or subsequent permit show proof of a booked test you'll be grand.

Any bike instructors in Tullamore?

Not for IBT just pre test lesson.

None showing on RSA website but I’m sure I see a lad going around at times.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Then you have to fork out the few quid to renew, like everyone else.

9 months waiting for a test.

Yes, I am deemed essential

Have you got a date yet? I know of a lad, a teacher who has a test coming up in the next few weeks. He's his pretest with Eric Dalton tmrw.
    If you are classed as essential and are still waiting then I'd suggest making sure you flagged yourself as urgent/essential. When I applied at the beginning of March i was given a range of test dates and locations the next day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Any bike instructors in Tullamore?

Not for IBT just pre test lesson.

None showing on RSA website but I’m sure I see a lad going around at times.

Thanks

Not sure if they still do it but Hynes school of motoring use to work between Mullingar and tullamore. I did pre test with him and passed so I would recommend.

Not sure if they still do it but Hynes school of motoring use to work between Mullingar and tullamore. I did pre test with him and passed so I would recommend.

Hynes not doing it any more but thanks for reply

Have you got a date yet? I know of a lad, a teacher who has a test coming up in the next few weeks. He's his pretest with Eric Dalton tmrw.
    If you are classed as essential and are still waiting then I'd suggest making sure you flagged yourself as urgent/essential. When I applied at the beginning of March i was given a range of test dates and locations the next day

Yep I have a date

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Anyone know if JP Motorcycles off Pearse St Dublin still operating?
    They've no bikes on donedeal and not answering their phone last couple of days.

Who's next for the lucky yellow vest?

Does it come with a set of working earphones? :P

(well done, ye bollix)

Well done Jimmy. Don’t mind the bottle lad!!

I’ll take a lucky vest if it’s going :)

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    I’ll take a lucky vest if it’s going :)

You can have two!! PM me your address and I’ll send mine as well

• Advertisement

You can have two!! PM me your address and I’ll send mine as well

No point sending both to the one person!

You sort out this one and I'll send mine to the next taker.

Mine has been through a few boardsies now.

Vest-sluh.

Vest-sluh.

It's like your aul one at this stage, been full of sweaty bikers

Then yours is the proper lucky one!! Mine only did me, so it’d be better if you take care of peppa

And positive tests.

Lucky vest inbound - thanks Jimmy.

When I have added my sweat to it it will be back to boards for another taker ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Looking for some help getting back on the road, mainly understanding the licence. Can't wrap my head around my situation.

I had bikes for a few years when I was a teenager but moved into the city late 2011 and have been walking/cycling/public transport mostly since, but after a recent move I was thinking I'd hop back on a maxi scooter to commute to work. I never bothered trying to get my full licence back in the day, I just renewed the provisional and they'd tack on the extra classes as they were changing, and I renewed it in 2018 so as not to time out after 5 years of inactivity so I didn't have to bother paying for all that training if I felt like hopping back on again.

So now my most recent provisional looks like this:
    AM - Issued 28.09.07 / Expire 25.01.19 (993)
    A1 - Issued 28.09.07 / Expire 25.01.19 (993)
    A2 - Issued 26.01.18 / Expire 25.01.19 (991)
    A - Issued 28.09.09 / Expire 25.01.19 (993)

My main question is, the yoke I intend to get is a Yamaha X-Max 300/400cc, which is an A2 Licence category now I think. Because of that 991 there on the A2 on my licence, do I have to pay for all the IBT stuff if I try go for a bike in that range? The category didn't exist when I renewed the licence in 2011.. I don't even know if I'd be able to book a test in that category (which I'll have to do to renew my provisional) without doing IBT.

If that is the case, am I right in saying I only have to do IBT if I was to get an A2 bike, but then I wouldn't have to bother if I got an A range bike like a Honda X-ADV / NC750DCT because those are older, 993s on my licence from before all these rule changes?

I was just gonna get the X-Max cos its a couple grand cheaper than the Hondas but I cba with all that IBT stuff.

Any advice appreciated! Cheers

Where did ya do the test Jimmy?

Where did ya do the test Jimmy?

The GUIDE Clinic.

The GUIDE Clinic.

Careful you, or I’ll get car finder after ya!!

I see Eric Dalton had a good week with tests. 5 first time passers

• Advertisement
Advertisement