Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The GUIDE Clinic.

You're getting a spinning back kick

Test done in Dun Laoghaire, all lessons and IBT done with Paul Jenkins, I also used his MT07 for the test. Wrecked now, adrenalin dump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

You're getting a spinning back kick

Test done in Dun Laoghaire, all lessons and IBT done with Paul Jenkins, I also used his MT07 for the test. Wrecked now, adrenalin dump

Yup, know that feeling!!

Yup, know that feeling!!

wanting to give Bottlehead a spinning back kick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Lyle wrote: »
    Looking for some help getting back on the road, mainly understanding the licence. Can't wrap my head around my situation.

I had bikes for a few years when I was a teenager but moved into the city late 2011 and have been walking/cycling/public transport mostly since, but after a recent move I was thinking I'd hop back on a maxi scooter to commute to work. I never bothered trying to get my full licence back in the day, I just renewed the provisional and they'd tack on the extra classes as they were changing, and I renewed it in 2018 so as not to time out after 5 years of inactivity so I didn't have to bother paying for all that training if I felt like hopping back on again.

So now my most recent provisional looks like this:
    AM - Issued 28.09.07 / Expire 25.01.19 (993)
    A1 - Issued 28.09.07 / Expire 25.01.19 (993)
    A2 - Issued 26.01.18 / Expire 25.01.19 (991)
    A - Issued 28.09.09 / Expire 25.01.19 (993)

My main question is, the yoke I intend to get is a Yamaha X-Max 300/400cc, which is an A2 Licence category now I think. Because of that 991 there on the A2 on my licence, do I have to pay for all the IBT stuff if I try go for a bike in that range? The category didn't exist when I renewed the licence in 2011.. I don't even know if I'd be able to book a test in that category (which I'll have to do to renew my provisional) without doing IBT.

If that is the case, am I right in saying I only have to do IBT if I was to get an A2 bike, but then I wouldn't have to bother if I got an A range bike like a Honda X-ADV / NC750DCT because those are older, 993s on my licence from before all these rule changes?

I was just gonna get the X-Max cos its a couple grand cheaper than the Hondas but I cba with all that IBT stuff.

Any advice appreciated! Cheers

991 is has to wait six months from date of issue
    993 is 3rd or subsequent permit.

Did you do an ibt prior to 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Mjolnir wrote: »
    991 is has to wait six months from date of issue
    993 is 3rd or subsequent permit.

Did you do an ibt prior to 2013?

Nope, I didn't. Just had one or two lessons off a neighbour in 2007 and that was it!

So I won't have to do the IBT on an A2 category bike even though the Date of Issue is newer than the other three categories, starting after the mandatory IBT came in?

Nope, I didn't. Just had one or two lessons off a neighbour in 2007 and that was it!

So I won't have to do the IBT on an A2 category bike even though the Date of Issue is newer than the other three categories?

You've never done an ibt so you DO have to do one now regardless of the bike catagory A1/A2/A
    Your permit is not valid for you to ride on the road without an ibt.

Just to add the actual ibt regulations came into effect in 2011

You've never done an ibt so you DO have to do one now regardless of the bike catagory A1/A2/A
    Your permit is not valid for you to ride on the road without an ibt.

Right, gotcha. I had no idea how this stuff has changed, I haven't been able to wrap my head around it at all. I thought back whenever they changed the rules ten or so years ago for cars and bikes that for any existing provisional with an Issue Date before the date of the training coming in that you don't have to do the mandatory training.

I was hoping I'd just be able to renew the provisional, throw on a yellow vest and boot around on the scooter while I wait to sit the test I must book to renew the provisional in a year's time. I'll have to sort the IBT so as well. Cheers for the advice!

wanting to give Bottlehead a spinning back kick?

Firstly, put this picture in your head. Danny Glover, lethal weapon 2. Remember the ‘spinning kick’ on the water bottle? Yup. That’d be me. Except a paper and slightly younger version.

Secondly, I’d never catch him on my bike!!

Right, gotcha. I had no idea how this stuff has changed, I haven't been able to wrap my head around it at all. I thought back whenever they changed the rules ten or so years ago for cars and bikes that for any existing provisional with an Issue Date before the date of the training coming in that you don't have to do the mandatory training.

I was hoping I'd just be able to renew the provisional, throw on a yellow vest and boot around on the scooter while I wait to sit the test I must book to renew the provisional in a year's time. I'll have to sort the IBT so as well. Cheers for the advice!

Someone I know had a similar experience that's what they had to do, actually best way to find out for sure is go onto the rsa website try book the test.
    If ya can just book it.
    If not I'm right haha.

Firstly, put this picture in your head. Danny Glover, lethal weapon 2. Remember the ‘spinning kick’ on the water bottle? Yup. That’d be me. Except a paper and slightly younger version.

Secondly, I’d never catch him on my bike!!

I drove his bike around the carpark in an apartment block, I wouldn't drive it any further. #thebikethatjackbuilt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I drove his bike around the carpark in an apartment block, I wouldn't drive it any further. #thebikethatjackbuilt

You'll work your way up to it some day, petal.

Awwww lookit the bromance!!

Someone I know had a similar experience that's what they had to do, actually best way to find out for sure is go onto the rsa website try book the test.
    If ya can just book it.
    If not I'm right haha.

Booking the test isn't the problem I think, it's the having to do IBT before being able to use the bike to commute. The queues for IBT lessons will probably be months so it just ****s on my quick fix plan to hop on a scooter to get to work.

I was mixing it up with cars. If your provisional on a car is from before 4/4/2011 you don't have to do the training:

All holders of their first learner permit issued from 4 April 2011 must undertake Essential Driver Training (EDT) with an RSA Approved Driving Instructor (ADI).

That EDT rule for the car doesn't appear to be the same as the IBT on the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

If ya can just book it.
    If not I'm right haha.
    Oh they'll gladly take your money and let you take up a test spot, rock up with no IBT and tell you, no dice buddy :pac:

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Oh they'll gladly take your money and let you take up a test spot, rock up with no IBT and tell you, no dice buddy :pac:

Not anymore since the booking system changed to the new portal out of date ibt, won't let ya pick a date even if they should show up available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Who's next for the lucky yellow vest?
    Well done young fella :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shanzze

Test passed today, if anyone wants a vest and some 3.5mm head phones PM me your address. ðŸ˜

Shanzze wrote: »
    Test passed today, if anyone wants a vest and some 3.5mm head phones PM me your address. ðŸ˜

Well done Shanzze!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Grats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭goblin59

congrats! good timing with travel opening up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Hi

When doing the U Turn in the test do you have to indicator right when starting and indicate left when finishing?

I tend to feather the clutch in a U turn so can’t be using indicators as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I didn't have to during mine.

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Hi

When doing the U Turn in the test do you have to indicator right when starting and indicate left when finishing?

I'd indicate right just to let approaching traffic know you are pulling out, but I wouldn't indicate left afterwards.

I can't rem, possibly for the turning right part not for the left. Get a pre test and let us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Hi

Yes:
    Left indicator always on when stopped at the side of the street (that lets other traffic know that you are stopped).

Then right mirror & if clear right signal, shoulder check & move.

Then after getting going in a straight line beside the kerb, lifesaver & turn if clear, then signal left before you stop at the kerb.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement

I haven't been on this thread recently so am unsure of the current situation in relation to doing an IBT, are lessons allowed to go ahead at the current time? Due to life circumstances I allowed my previous IBT cert to expire.

I've recently gotten a new job and although it's nice my boss is trying to be flexible with my hours so I can get public transport it would be nice if I could be more flexible with my hours.

I haven't been on this thread recently so am unsure of the current situation in relation to doing an IBT, are lessons allowed to go ahead at the current time? Due to life circumstances I allowed my previous IBT cert to expire.

I've recently gotten a new job and although it's nice my boss is trying to be flexible with my hours so I can get public transport it would be nice if I could be more flexible with my hours.

Yes. IBT is back on.

Just curious how much would you recommend someone put aside to get an A class bike, I presume with brexit it has made bringing one in from the UK more expensive and complicated?

Just curious how much would you recommend someone put aside to get an A class bike, I presume with brexit it has made bringing one in from the UK more expensive and complicated?

3000 - 4000.
    Brexit doesn't mean the end of cheaper A class bikes.
    Autoscout24 will get you a cheap bike in europe, but you will need to decide if its worth the risk of buying a bike without seeing it, or traveling to Europe to collect the bike and if you don't have a full license you'll have to pay someone to get the bike back to ireland anyway.

Does anybody know if AM can be added to a full B without theory test etc

• Advertisement

Does anybody know if AM can be added to a full B without theory test etc

According to this if you got your license before 2001 then you have an automatic entitlement to an AM license that allows you to ride a 50cc bike up to 50Kph.

https://www.carolenash.com/news/bike-news/detail/can-you-ride-a-motorbike-with-a-car-licence

goblin59 wrote: »
    3000 - 4000.
    Brexit doesn't mean the end of cheaper A class bikes.
    Autoscout24 will get you a cheap bike in europe, but you will need to decide if its worth the risk of buying a bike without seeing it, or traveling to Europe to collect the bike and if you don't have a full license you'll have to pay someone to get the bike back to ireland anyway.

Thanks, I unfortunately wouldn't be comfortable buying a bike with out seeing it first or traveling to buy in a non English speaking country. Serves me right for waiting so damm long to get everything sorted looks like I'll just have to suck up the cost of buying in this country.

Thanks, I unfortunately wouldn't be comfortable buying a bike with out seeing it first or traveling to buy in a non English speaking country. Serves me right for waiting so damm long to get everything sorted looks like I'll just have to suck up the cost of buying in this country.

I'd be with you, I'd prefer to go over the bike in great detail before buying. But don't fret, there are sellers out there who aren't unreasonable dreamers when putting there bikes on DD. Once you're 100% you're going to buy, you have the cash in your pocket ready to do a deal and you have 2 or 3 bike models you'd be keen on, then you just need to monitor Donedeal 2 or 3 times a day, you will find something with thats reasonably priced. But when you find one make the call straight away, well priced bikes are selling within 24 hours.

Check Northern Ireland too, they still have lower bike prices and not subject to VAT (yet) so long as the bike is registered pre 2021.

Sorry if this sounds like I am being very impatient between yesterday and today I text three instructors so far I've heard nothing back from two of them and the third unfortunately doesn't have any available slots until July.

Does anyone know of any instructors in the country that could take me on in the next 3 to 4 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Spooch

Sorry if this sounds like I am being very impatient between yesterday and today I text three instructors so far I've heard nothing back from two of them and the third unfortunately doesn't have any available slots until July.

Does anyone know of any instructors in the country that could take me on in the next 3 to 4 weeks?

Been ringing around myself and earliest I got was 2nd & 8th July for my two sessions. In Cork if that's any bit useful to you

I can definitely see there is pent-up demand after the lockdown oh well, looks like I'll just have to wait and see what is available in the next two months.

I can definitely see there is pent-up demand after the lockdown oh well, looks like I'll just have to wait and see what is available in the next two months.

Where in the country are you?

Where in the country are you?

Sorry should have mentioned I am in Mayo.

Plenty of people that have to do mod 5's to get their ibt reinstated plus those waiting to do it from last year, it's a fair amount to try get through.

• Advertisement

Plenty of people that have to do mod 5's to get their ibt reinstated plus those waiting to do it from last year, it's a fair amount to try get through.

I wonder do many people bounce from IBT to IBT every 2 years without plans to do bike test?

Other than hassle of quick IBT recertification every two years (and provisional licence renewal online) there is not a major incentive to get full licence.

I’m on an 800cc with provisional. Insurance E340.

Job done?

I wonder do many people bounce from IBT to IBT every 2 years without plans to do bike test?

Other than hassle of quick IBT recertification every two years (and provisional licence renewal online) there is not a major incentive to get full licence.

Job done?

I'd doubt it. Who wants to wear the L tabard for their entire driving career!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

I'd doubt it. Who wants to wear the L tabard for their entire driving career!

Who really wears the L Tabard though?

I've worn mine every day since I started but nearly every weekend I get talking to another biker out and about who are still on a Learner with no Tabard.

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Who really wears the L Tabard though?

I've worn mine every day since I started but nearly every weekend I get talking to another biker out and about who are still on a Learner with no Tabard.

I don’t wear it.

Reason - drivers try to kill me more when I’m wearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I don’t wear it.

Reason - drivers try to kill me more when I’m wearing it.

I have to say, I never once experienced this phenomenon that L plates are targets. I instead wonder if the people wearing L plates (who are learners) simply place themselves in more dangerous situations due to their inexperience and lack of training.

The cops won't buy the "out to kill me" theory if they catch you. It's a fine and two points.

I got my full license as soon as the 6month window came up so that I could drive my bike in other countries.
    As far as I know if you are on an L plate if you are not meant to be in other countries and this does include Northern Ireland.
    You have an accident up there the insurance company will just void it once it they see your meant to be wearing an L tabbard and you wern't in Ireland.
    Same with the motorway.

https://borderpeople.info/a-z/driving-licences-in-northern-ireland.html

Job done?

ONe other thing, my insurance last year was 370 with a provisional. This year its 270, with a full licence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Job done?
    Nobody with a brain.

460-560 every 2 years + more expensive insurance

or

2300-2800 every 10 years + more expensive insurance
    vs
    80 every 10 years + cheaper insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cdemess

Looking for one to one lessons for a moped. Any recommendations, don’t need to do the IBT, just want some lessons. Dublin based.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 arkeda

Job done?

How old are you, what year is the bike, and what insurer?

I ask because I'm on a provisional and I have been quoted E900 for a Z650.

Advertisement