Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

arkeda wrote: »
    How old are you, what year is the bike, and what insurer?

I ask because I'm on a provisional and I have been quoted E900 for a Z650.

you also need to take into account relevant NCB as well.

an 800cc bike doesn't mean much to the insurers tbh as they base it off the power output of the engine.
    A friend's brother has a vulcan 800 which even though is 800cc only has 40.8kwh power, which is quite low for such a large engine, but it has to shunt quite alot of bike as its 240kg wet weight, without including the 60kg+ rider sitting on the bike.

They then look at the type of bike as well.
    So i did my provisional on a dual sport BMW, which was 800cc, but because it was a dual sport the insurance was slightly higher than if it was a naked bike based on historical claims of this bike category (probally because dual sports get alot of off road and trail riding abuse.
    I was 30 when I got my insurace quote btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Who is quoting you that price?

I am insured on CBR650, first bike, Learner Permit, etc for €520 that was from Principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 arkeda

goblin59 wrote: »
    you also need to take into account relevant NCB as well.

an 800cc bike doesn't mean much to the insurers tbh as they base it off the power output of the engine.
    A friend's brother has a vulcan 800 which even though is 800cc only has 40.8kwh power, which is quite low for such a large engine, but it has to shunt quite alot of bike as its 240kg wet weight, without including the 60kg+ rider sitting on the bike.

They then look at the type of bike as well.
    So i did my provisional on a dual sport BMW, which was 800cc, but because it was a dual sport the insurance was slightly higher than if it was a naked bike based on historical claims of this bike category (probally because dual sports get alot of off road and trail riding abuse.
    I was 30 when I got my insurace quote btw.

Thanks for the input. Do you know if the year of the bike is a big consideration like it is for cars?

I can't decide between getting a new (or relatively new) bike or an older, more used one as my first.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 arkeda

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Who is quoting you that price?

I am insured on CBR650, first bike, Learner Permit, etc for €520 that was from Principal.

It was actually Principal as well. Maybe it's an age thing? Or the year of the bike? I'm 28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Thanks for the input. Do you know if the year of the bike is a big consideration like it is for cars?

I can't decide between getting a new (or relatively new) bike or an older, more used one as my first.

I've found the opposite with bikes, older are easier to insure.

• Advertisement

It was actually Principal as well. Maybe it's an age thing? Or the year of the bike? I'm 28.

Maybe that's it alright, I'm 40 :(

Maybe that's it alright, I'm 40 :(

I'm paying the same as you, same company, same bike with full licence and 1 year NCB. Is that fully comp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

45 years
    2014 bike
    Principal Insurance

I'm paying the same as you, same company, same bike with full licence and 1 year NCB. Is that fully comp?

Yeah fully comp

Yeah fully comp

Ah jaysis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

How long is it taking people for their IBT to show up as complete on the myroadsafery portal? I redid my IBT 3 weeks ago and its still showing up as expired, dying to get my test done and out of the way, I applied 11.5 months ago!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Marty984

Got mail from RSA yesterday to say new slots are available for bike test. Applied 9 months ago done IBT end of last year. I'd imagine there must be a huge backlog of people waiting on tests but they must be at last getting through them with the new testers trained up and covid restrictions lifting.

Marty984 wrote: »
    Got mail from RSA yesterday to say new slots are available for bike test. Applied 9 months ago done IBT end of last year. I'd imagine there must be a huge backlog of people waiting on tests but they must be at last getting through them with the new testers trained up and covid restrictions lifting.

Do you register as an essential worker?

How far out are test dates?

Do you plan to do pre test lessons?

Thanks

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Do you register as an essential worker?

How far out are test dates?

Do you plan to do pre test lessons?

Thanks

Hi,
    Yes I registered as essential worker.

Dates are available for whole month of July.

Will try and do a pre run with an instructor but they are all crazy busy doing IBT at the moment, I'm confident on my bike but will need pointers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Marty984 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yes I registered as essential worker.

Dates are available for whole month of July.

Will try and do a pre run with an instructor but they are all crazy busy doing IBT at the moment, I'm confident on my bike but will need pointers.

i would ABSOLUTELY 100% recommend a pretest. Where in the country are you? I'd nearly contact an instructor before booking the test, to see when they're free. That way you could have the pretest the morning of the test and go into the actual test with the corrections/recommendations fresh in your mind

i would ABSOLUTELY 100% recommend a pretest. Where in the country are you? I'd nearly contact an instructor before booking the test, to see when they're free. That way you could have the pretest the morning of the test and go into the actual test with the corrections/recommendations fresh in your mind

Any recommendations for pre test in Tullamore/Midland area.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Any recommendations for pre test in Tullamore/Midland area.

Thanks

Mick Finlay
    Roadtraining.ie

Lookbehindyou on here

Got a pretest today for two days before the test so hopefully I can use the pointers and practice for the two days! Based in Cork....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Nearly a YEAR waiting for a test.

Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Hi all,

just a question on IBT, i did the IBT about 10 years ago, had a provisional license which lapsed. i re applied for the learner permit today and am waiting for the license to arrive as it was all ok when i applied online 9 no need to do the theory test). My question is do i just need to do module 3 for A or do i need to completely re do the IBT?

FYI mid forties and rode up to 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

jag con wrote: »
    Hi all,

just a question on IBT, i did the IBT about 10 years ago, had a provisional license which lapsed. i re applied for the learner permit today and am waiting for the license to arrive as it was all ok when i applied online 9 no need to do the theory test). My question is do i just need to do module 3 for A or do i need to completely re do the IBT?

Someone else may be able to help but I think as it is a new permit you have to redo it.
    Open to correction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

jag con wrote: »
    Hi all,

The IBT expires after 2 years and you would need to complete module 5 again for the A, however, in your case as its expired more 5 years you need to do the full IBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The rsa don't do irony, but if they did, it would be the best irony in the world.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Some slots available for Pottery Rd Dun Laoghaire 19-21. Got one for the 20th.
    Sh1tting it already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

cool best of luck with it :)

garlad wrote: »
    Some slots available for Pottery Rd Dun Laoghaire 19-21. Got one for the 20th.
    Sh1tting it already!

I did mine down there, the route is nice. There are two routes but lately they've been using the one where ypu turn to the right onto Pottery Road from the centre due to complaints from residents on the other route where the u turn is done

I did mine down there, the route is nice. There are two routes but lately they've been using the one where ypu turn to the right onto Pottery Road from the centre due to complaints from residents on the other route where the u turn is done

Don't suppose you remember the route?
    Where was the U-Turn at?

Don't suppose you remember the route?
    Where was the U-Turn at?

I could drive the route in my sleep, however the only road I know the name of is Pottery Road!

I just looked it up there on Google maps, the u turn was done in Beech Court. You turn into Beech Court from the main road, go to the T and then turn right, pull in on the left there and then do the U Turn.

I used Paul Jenkins for lessons, he's from that area and knows it well, I started riding in March 2020 and then didn't ride from October to April passed my test in May with 1 minor fault, a lot of that is down to Paul

I could drive the route in my sleep, however the only road I know the name of is Pottery Road!

I just looked it up there on Google maps, the u turn was done in Beech Court. You turn into Beech Court from the main road, go to the T and then turn right, pull in on the left there and then do the U Turn.

I used Paul Jenkins for lessons, he's from that area and knows it well, I started riding in March 2020 and then didn't ride from October to April passed my test in May with 1 minor fault, a lot of that is down to Paul

Thanks for that. I used Paul for IBT too. First time on a bike last September.
    Have contacted him for pretest

• Advertisement

Just checking my Vehicle Registration Certificate which I'll need to bring to my test.
    RSA website states - You will be asked to produce your Vehicle Registration Certificate which confirms details regarding the motorcycle you present to test with (i.e. power output in kW, engine cc, power to weight ratio, make, model, and registration number).
    Mine doesn't have power output in kW or power to weight ratio.
    Is that an issue?
    I am applying for an A license

Just checking my Vehicle Registration Certificate which I'll need to bring to my test.
    RSA website states - You will be asked to produce your Vehicle Registration Certificate which confirms details regarding the motorcycle you present to test with (i.e. power output in kW, engine cc, power to weight ratio, make, model, and registration number).
    Mine doesn't have power output in kW or power to weight ratio.
    Is that an issue?
    I am applying for an A license

They can turn you away.
    €20 for a Cert from a registered dealer with the bikes details and power output
    They won't have a power to weight ratio on it
    Just kw, weight etc

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Acquiescence

What make is your bike?

I contacted Yamaha Ireland on Facebook and they emailed me the coc which the tester accepted.

What make is your bike?

I contacted Yamaha Ireland on Facebook and they emailed me the coc which the tester accepted.

Suzuki SV650

I did an AXA assessment today, really enjoyable way to spend 3 hours. Up through Sally Gap doing the bends session.

This is a real newbie question.

Am I right in saying you don’t need to display insurance disc on a bike just tax disc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

You are correct.

I just keep mine on the phone never been stopped and asked to show it though.

I also keep the tax disc in a storage pocket built into my bike it's not displayed.

Do you have to have a rear reflector for the driving test?

You are correct.

I just keep mine on the phone never been stopped and asked to show it though.

I also keep the tax disc in a storage pocket built into my bike it's not displayed.

I keep mine in my phone case permanently. Not technically legal but never a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭slystallone

Anyone know if tests are done on Saturdays or just Monday to Fridays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Anyone know if tests are done on Saturdays or just Monday to Fridays?
    Generally weekdays, unless the testers get overtime.

• Advertisement

on the above , having never seen a vcr for a motorbike before where is the kw output listed ?

Garlad @ i would guess yes on teh reflector as i think its a requirement for all vehicles. I have a small one on my license plate!

geotrig wrote: »
    on the above , having never seen a vcr for a motorbike before where is the kw output listed ?

Garlad @ i would guess yes on teh reflector as i think its a requirement for all vehicles. I have a small one on my license plate!

It's p2 Shannon have an awful habit of using that 555555kw (or how ever many 5's) as the default.

Yep reflector is required by law as far as I remember, been a while since I checked that.

geotrig see attached cert.jpg. Presume P." (Engine Max. Net Power).
    Mine is empty

On the reflector, see the back of my bike bike.jpg
    Where could I put one? Can you stick it on the reg for the test? If so, where abouts? Only other option I see is on the license plate light black box above plate.

On the tail tidy that I got it just supplied a small circular reflector to put on the plate .
    I put mine at the left hand side end below the Ireland sign ,sorry have no pics !(i'll throw one on later ) and was as pretty much described as such on the instructions for the uk I don't think it really matters as long as it has one.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    It's p2 Shannon have an awful habit of using that 555555kw (or how ever many 5's) as the default.

Yep reflector is required by law as far as I remember, been a while since I checked that.

cool is the 5555kw ok /acceptable for the test ?

Absaloutly not unfortunately haha

Hi, did you get sorted on this?

Where you get sorted.

Thanks

Hi, did you get sorted on this?

Where you get sorted.

Thanks

Yeah contacted Yamaha Ireland and got a certain of conformity.

ok stupid question time ! for the test is there a wrong way or exact procedure for pushing the bike ,not that im getting a test any day soon !😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

In relation to the bike pushing I assume you mean when walking with the bike. If so, I hold the handlebar steady with both hands and push with both feet making sure not to catch the footpeg as you go. When pushing backwards hold the near handlebar with one hand and the back grab with the other and push again. Keep in mind the back push is the most likely time you run the risk of dropping the bike itself. PS don't forget where the front break lever is you might need it.

Dan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement