Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

No

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

Im getting mixed signals here, I was just on to the RSA and I was asking about what requirements I would need to sit my Full Cat A test. I told her I was on my 2nd Cat A learner Permit (1st one issued in 2007 I am 24 years old), she told me that I need to hand in my paper license and get the new plastic one which would allow me to sit the test without having to do the IBT and without having done any lessons, she also said that I would have to sit the test on a 40kw or greater bike..... this all sounds perfect but, after double checking on the RSA website it has just confused me all over again, im afraid that if I apply for the new plastic learner permit that i will be categorized into a sub category that will force me to do an expensive IBT course... any ideas what I should do here? or anybody who has been in a similar position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

dwelby101 wrote: »
    Im getting mixed signals here, I was just on to the RSA and I was asking about what requirements I would need to sit my Full Cat A test. I told her I was on my 2nd Cat A learner Permit (1st one issued in 2007 I am 24 years old), she told me that I need to hand in my paper license and get the new plastic one which would allow me to sit the test without having to do the IBT and without having done any lessons, she also said that I would have to sit the test on a 40kw or greater bike..... this all sounds perfect but, after double checking on the RSA website it has just confused me all over again, im afraid that if I apply for the new plastic learner permit that i will be categorized into a sub category that will force me to do an expensive IBT course... any ideas what I should do here? or anybody who has been in a similar position?

Okay, Firstly i'd take everything they say with a pinch of salt, I've got so much conflicting information from them before I forgot what I was even enquiring about!

Yes you apply for the new A LP because you're over 24, however if you want to take the full A test you'll have to do IBT Modules 1,3,5. There is no way of getting around the training option.

If you stick to your current LP (Paper licence) you can take the test without IBT but you'll only be issued a full A2. Personally I'd go for the full A if I were you.

Thanks Faith, while snooping through the RSA.ie labyrinth i found this, which is actually quite helpful also. I guess there is no way of getting out of the IBT but I suppose its no harm to get a bit of experience from someone who knows what they're at, pity its so expensive tho.

EDIT:

Also I was told that if I hand in my old Cat A LP (the paper one - issued 2007) and apply for the new "credit-card" type LP I will be given an unrestricted Cat A LP, which means the money I would have had to pay for a restrictor & cert can pay for the IBT. win-win!

aaannnnddd... since I will be on a unrestricted Cat A LP I will have to sit the test for the Full Cat A on a bike with a power output of no less than 40kw.

Also I was told that if I hand in my old Cat A LP (the paper one - issued 2007) and apply for the new "credit-card" type LP I will be given an unrestricted Cat A LP, which means the money I would have had to pay for a restrictor & cert can pay for the IBT. win-win!

aaannnnddd... since I will be on a unrestricted Cat A LP I will have to sit the test for the Full Cat A on a bike with a power output of no less than 40kw.

+1 yep bang on. However that mimimum 40kw output will increase this Oct/Nov I think.

Currently the bike i'm on is a Suzuki GSX 400 with a 39kw output, do ya think the lads at the test centre would allow me to sit the test on it considering its < 40kw? Are they willing to allow a bit of lenience considering its close to the mark?

Honestly couldn't tell you, passed my test under the old rules. I'd ask Roadskill, he's the man around these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've being in Canada for 2 years so haven't applied for a test in the last 2 years, do have one from 09. Am I ****ed as they say I need to show proof of applying within the last 2 years.

The dude in the office told me to apply online but that's not working as my license expired in May 2012. I told him it is expired but he said it shouldn't be a problem.

3rd learner permit btw.

Also what's this go straight for A I'm hearing about as I'm 29. Do I need to start from the start ie do the theory test and then the IBT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Currently the bike i'm on is a Suzuki GSX 400 with a 39kw output, do ya think the lads at the test centre would allow me to sit the test on it considering its < 40kw? Are they willing to allow a bit of lenience considering its close to the mark?

i doubt it very much as they have a list of bikes on their computer system, it tells them which bike and which category it belongs in

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sameman

Hi all.! from 1 of jan 2013 age restriction on ''A'' License change to 24. Im 23 now, and will be 24 in december. Can I get a provisional driving license and do the IBT and do the 15 driving hours before I turn 24 and I apply for the diving test? Or I have to wait till Im 24?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

sameman wrote: »
    Hi all.! from 1 of jan 2013 age restriction on ''A'' License change to 24. Im 23 now, and will be 24 in december. Can I get a provisional driving license and do the IBT and do the 15 driving hours before I turn 24 and I apply for the diving test? Or I have to wait till Im 24?

If you get the Learner Permit now you will get an A2 Learner Permit allowing you to ride Motorcycles up to 35kw of power. You'd have to do Modules 1, 2, 3, 4 of IBT.

If you then wanted to upgrade to a category A Learner Permit (the unrestricted one) after December you would have to do an 11 hour conversion course called Module 5, which is pretty much just riding a bigger bike.

If you wanted to wait you could go straight for an unrestricted A.

It's probably not such a popular idea, but I'm in the don't bother waiting camp, just get it and upgrade later if you could afford it.

If you get the Learner Permit now you will get an A2 Learner Permit allowing you to ride Motorcycles up to 35kw of power. You'd have to do Modules 1, 2, 3, 4 of IBT.

If you then wanted to upgrade to a category A Learner Permit (the unrestricted one) after December you would have to do an 11 hour conversion course called Module 5, which is pretty much just riding a bigger bike.

If you wanted to wait you could go straight for an unrestricted A.

It's probably not such a popular idea, but I'm in the don't bother waiting camp, just get it and upgrade later if you could afford it.

Thanks for reply. Ummm Can I ride restricted bike? Or an 125cc one?

sameman wrote: »
    Thanks for reply. Ummm Can I ride restricted bike? Or an 125cc one?

You can ride any bike as long as it's power doesn't not exceed 35 Kw (and the power is not restricted more than half the original)

So you can ride a LOT of unrestricted bikes, (think most in the 400cc category) and any restricted bike that wouldn't be anything over 70kw if it was unrestricted.

There will be more specific things about doing the full licence test though, that I'm not really up to speed on.

You can ride any bike as long as it's power doesn't not exceed 35 Kw (and the power is not restricted more than half the original)

So you can ride a LOT of unrestricted bikes, (think most in the 400cc category) and any restricted bike that wouldn't be anything over 70kw if it was unrestricted.

There will be more specific things about doing the full licence test though, that I'm not really up to speed on.

I see ;) Thanks for clearing things up :D

Just wondering if anyone has ever been stopped by the gardaí for riding 2up to check if you are on a provisional or a full license?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Just wondering if anyone has ever been stopped by the gardaí for riding 2up to check if you are on a provisional or a full license?

Ive only ever done it twice and wouldnt be in a rush to do it again. Both times I was nervous and the extra weight really changes how the bike handles etc. It can be even worse if your carrying a pillion who has no idea how a bike rides.

Best bet is too wait and do your test then start carrying all the pillions you need.

I mean the way I think of it now is, is it really worth loosing my LP, a 1000 euro fine, and worse (if I crash)

Oh really, its that serious if you get done, I had no idea... I was aware of the extra weight issue and if the pillion didnt know how to ride/ lean etc, but I had no idea it was a €1000 fine and your LP got taken off... ok, maybe I should wait and get the test done.

Once you have a full A license after you do the test and pass can you carry a pillion then or is there a transition period?

Well I was reading that 1000 euro is the minimum fine. With regards to the LP, as far as I know you can get points and such on them, so Id imagine the guard could just confiscate it if he/she was inclined to. So your playing a dangerous game anyways.

Yeh once you have your full licence you can carry a pillion no bother. Only thing would be is to inform your insurance company as it is a question on many policys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭nutjobb

Hi all, another newbie question here..
    Im 22 and have my provisional A(<25 kw) since November 2011. Now I have the bike bought and will be doing the ibt soon as possible all going well. The bike is a Suzuki gs500 which comes in at under 35 kw, so would I be right in saying I can either:

(A) Restrict the bike and continue doing ibt etc or

(B) Exchange my current license for an A2 allowing me to ride the higher power output.

Id be leaning towards option B. Can I just exchange my license without any inconvenience? Its expiring at the end of the year anyway would i be automatically issued an A2 then? Anything else I need to think about along the way or should know?
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Well I was reading that 1000 euro is the minimum fine. With regards to the LP, as far as I know you can get points and such on them, so Id imagine the guard could just confiscate it if he/she was inclined to. So your playing a dangerous game anyways.

No, you'd get a summons, go to court and get fined and disqualified. A garda can't just take your licence off you (but they can seize your vehicle!)

Scrap the cap!

nutjobb wrote: »
    Hi all, another newbie question here..
    Im 22 and have my provisional A(<25 kw) since November 2011. Now I have the bike bought and will be doing the ibt soon as possible all going well. The bike is a Suzuki gs500 which comes in at under 35 kw, so would I be right in saying I can either:

(A) Restrict the bike and continue doing ibt etc or

(B) Exchange my current license for an A2 allowing me to ride the higher power output.

Id be leaning towards option B. Can I just exchange my license without any inconvenience? Its expiring at the end of the year anyway would i be automatically issued an A2 then? Anything else I need to think about along the way or should know?
    Thanks in advance

Option B is your man. Exchange licence now if possible and then do IBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Quick question...

Had to renew my car license, so had to get my provisional bike license updated with the new address too, so now have two of the plastic card licenses. The license listed is an A, valid till September this year. Does that mean I'm in on the new A rating, or that I'm stuck on the old A rating + restriction?

Quick question...

Had to renew my car license, so had to get my provisional bike license updated with the new address too, so now have two of the plastic card licenses. The license listed is an A, valid till September this year. Does that mean I'm in on the new A rating, or that I'm stuck on the old A rating + restriction?

Plastic Card is the new A.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jay92

Quick question guys...

Looking at getting my first bike, dont have a provisional or anything yet, but could somebody maybe give me the 4 basic steps of how to do it? Id be looking at getting a honda shadow too 400cc

1. provisional

2. Ibt

3.Cruising !

Is this too good to be true or Is there alot of red tape nowadays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

jay92 wrote: »
    Quick question guys...

Looking at getting my first bike, dont have a provisional or anything yet, but could somebody maybe give me the 4 basic steps of how to do it? Id be looking at getting a honda shadow too 400cc

1. provisional

2. Ibt

3.Cruising !

Is this too good to be true or Is there alot of red tape nowadays?

Theory test first.
    Then apply for learner permit in category depending on your age.
    16-17 = A1 Max 125cc
    18-23 = A2 Max 35 kw restricted from a bike no more than 70 kw
    24 and over = A unrestricted.
    Then do IBT 1,3 and 5 ( 18 hrs )
    Get a bike and kitted out, and insurance and away you go.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jay92

Theory test first.
    Then apply for learner permit in category depending on your age.
    16-17 = A1 Max 125cc
    18-23 = A2 Max 35 kw restricted from a bike no more than 70 kw
    24 and over = A unrestricted.
    Then do IBT 1,3 and 5 ( 18 hrs )
    Get a bike and kitted out, and insurance and away you go.

Thanks very much man..

What are you riding as a matter of curiosity?

p.s..please dont say my mother ! hahaha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

jay92 wrote: »
    Thanks very much man..

What are you riding as a matter of curiosity?

p.s..please dont say my mother ! hahaha :)

Ha ha.

I have a few bikes for pleasure, and a few more for Bike training.

I've a few bits to get myself, and I'll have to do the IBT module 5. Pain, as I've already done 1-4, but sure ya gotta do what you gotta do!
    Till then, I'm just constantly teasing myself looking at bikes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭zenith90

Looking to get going on 2 wheels this summer as I'll need transport for a short term job down the West of Ireland I have and then starting a permanent job in Dublin a few months later. Interested in getting a 125cc scooter after applying for an A1 provisional.

I (22, Male) plan to take the theory test shortly and want to do the IBT and Insurance Assessment on a school bike before looking at scooters/equipment to purchase.
    Any recommendations for instructors based in Dublin giving IBT plus Liberty Insurance assessment for a good price? Best I've found is €600 for both at M50 driving school but maybe there are others I'm not aware of offering

Most of my commute this summer will be split between N and R roads, about 60km a week as I'll be based in the west over the summer. I assume a 125cc should be capable of providing adequate performance on National roads to maintain a reasonable pace on a 100km/h road? Any suggestions for bikes that can handle this sort of commute which would be different to the average city commute? I don't envisage covering major distances in Dublin as I'll likely be living with a few kms of my workplace but would like to have something handy to get around on.

Any suggestions appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

zenith90 wrote: »
    I (22, Male) plan to take the theory test shortly and want to do the IBT and Insurance Assessment on a school bike before looking at scooters/equipment to purchase.
    Any recommendations for instructors based in Dublin giving IBT plus Liberty Insurance assessment for a good price? Best I've found is €600 for both at M50 driving school but maybe there are others I'm not aware of offering

Most of my commute this summer will be split between N and R roads, about 60km a week as I'll be based in the west over the summer. I assume a 125cc should be capable of providing adequate performance on National roads to maintain a reasonable pace on a 100km/h road? Any suggestions for bikes that can handle this sort of commute which would be different to the average city commute? I don't envisage covering major distances in Dublin as I'll likely be living with a few kms of my workplace but would like to have something handy to get around on.

Get the A2 licence, absolutely no advantage to limiting yourself to the A1 license at your age. If a scooter is what you want, fine but while a 125cc will be grand for around town, you'll really appreciate a few more cc's out on the open road. I'd say a 250-400cc super scooter or whatever they're called.

Have you got quotes? I didn't find Liberty that cheap. There's also Aon, Adelaide and Carole Nash to choose from. €600 sounds expensive.

• Advertisement

Looking to get going on 2 wheels this summer as I'll need transport for a short term job down the West of Ireland I have and then starting a permanent job in Dublin a few months later. Interested in getting a 125cc scooter after applying for an A1 provisional.

I found the Naas Driving academy fairly helpful when it came to doing the IBT. Nice and easy to contact and the instructor who I completed it with was a nice guy.

Scooters wouldnt by thing if Im honest (especially a 125), but if your just using it in and around town. For N roads it wouldnt be able to keep pace. Youd be revving the Bol*ock off it to try and get it near 60-70km and hour Id say.

Also bear in mind that if you got for the A2 (which you are better off doing as there is no point in restricting yourself to a smaller bike when you dont need too) you wouldnt be able to sit the full test on anything under 395cc. The bike also has to have a power output of 25-35kw and has to have a Kw/Kg of less than .2.

Just keep the above in mind when your choosing your scooter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And taking the test on an automatic means your full licence will be restricted to automatics.

Scrap the cap!

Thanks for the replies!

I'm not sure an A2 would suit me (more expensive IBT from what I've seen and need to rent bigger bike for lessons/test) as I don't envisage needing something beyond a scooter in the medium term. I don't see the extra expense now being worth it so am happy to aim for A1 auto as that's all I need for the next number of years. Despite the longer distances needed to be covered over the next few months, my main requirement is something for use as a city runaround. I think the better economy, suitability to city driving and extra carrying capacity of scooters would make it less likely that I would make the move up to a bike too.

As regards open road performance, all I need is something capable of reasonably sustaining 80-85 km/h over a trip of around 8-10km. This will only be a for about 10-12 weeks so I'm not overly concerned if it lacks oomph to be comfortably cruising at 100km/h during these few weeks. As I said, the main requirement is something for city driving but capable of achieving a decent speed on a rare longer journey. From reading up, clearly a 50cc would be insufficient but the average top speed for a 125cc taking variables in account seems to be 50-55mph. Is this an unrealistic estimate?

Not even having a license yet, never mind something to insure, I haven't rang around all the insurance co's yet but got a guide quote from Liberty online for around €550 TPO on a 125cc scooter with Grade 4 Insurance Assessment which gives me a rough guide price. AON wanted closer to a grand.
    How difficult is it to do well at the Insurance Assessments? Are higher grades like 2 or 3 hard/impossible to achieve for a novice?

As for the IBT, it might be worth taking a trip to Waterford to RoadSkill as they do IBT and Assessment for €400 if paired up. Are these courses normally carried out over 2 or 3 days?

Lastly, what do you recommend I look out for when it comes to purchasing a machine? Any reliable 125cc scooter models I should be searching for?
    As an example, this Yamaha would be along the lines but at the maximum of my budget of what I'm after:
    Yamaha Cygnus 125
    Ideally, something decent for 500/600 would be great!

Thanks for the replies!

I'm not sure an A2 would suit me (more expensive IBT from what I've seen and need to rent bigger bike for lessons/test) as I don't envisage needing something beyond a scooter in the medium term. I don't see the extra expense now being worth it so am happy to aim for A1 auto as that's all I need for the next number of years. Despite the longer distances needed to be covered over the next few months, my main requirement is something for use as a city runaround. I think the better economy, suitability to city driving and extra carrying capacity of scooters would make it less likely that I would make the move up to a bike too.

As regards open road performance, all I need is something capable of reasonably sustaining 80-85 km/h over a trip of around 8-10km. This will only be a for about 10-12 weeks so I'm not overly concerned if it lacks oomph to be comfortably cruising at 100km/h during these few weeks. As I said, the main requirement is something for city driving but capable of achieving a decent speed on a rare longer journey. From reading up, clearly a 50cc would be insufficient but the average top speed for a 125cc taking variables in account seems to be 50-55mph. Is this an unrealistic estimate?

Not even having a license yet, never mind something to insure, I haven't rang around all the insurance co's yet but got a guide quote from Liberty online for around €550 TPO on a 125cc scooter with Grade 4 Insurance Assessment which gives me a rough guide price. AON wanted closer to a grand.
    How difficult is it to do well at the Insurance Assessments? Are higher grades like 2 or 3 hard/impossible to achieve for a novice?

As for the IBT, it might be worth taking a trip to Waterford to RoadSkill as they do IBT and Assessment for €400 if paired up. Are these courses normally carried out over 2 or 3 days?

Lastly, what do you recommend I look out for when it comes to purchasing a machine? Any reliable 125cc scooter models I should be searching for?
    As an example, this Yamaha would be along the lines but at the maximum of my budget of what I'm after:
    Yamaha Cygnus 125
    Ideally, something decent for 500/600 would be great!

The speed estimate doesn't seem to far off except for the fact one of them is in mph the others in kph (pet peeve of mine hah). I can't see how you'd get a 125 scooter however to comfortably managed 80-85kph. Best bet is probably to PM one of the scooterists on here as it will come down too selection.

I've heard that the assessments generally do get harder as you go up. Practice would be required for each one. Still go for the 4th level tho, better than nothing.

I was going to go withwaterford as well but when I factored in the cost of a B&B 400beans became less attractive. Most of the courses are done over then weekend but can be arranged to do a module once a week

Apologies for the use different scales, my sources online were from countries operating the imperial system. 50mph=80kph for the record.

Perhaps comfortably wasn't the right word. Capable of doing these speeds without putting excessive stress on the engine is perhaps a better description. That said, this is only from reading online, I'd be interested to hear first hand if these are pie-in-the-sky figures or not.

I have relatives in Waterford which would help to negate accommodation costs but would mean I'd want to finish it in 2 full days, ideally. In saying that, if i got it in Dublin for 425-450 I'd probably take that option to save the trip.

Hopefully some current 'scooterists' can give me some further insight into potential performance and some points to note when purchasing a scooter. The only real criteria I've set myself is to get a decent Jap made one (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

If you give Peter Bookey (Aaron Rider Training - 086-1739654) a ring he will give you a good price for the IBT + Insurance assessment and he's based in Dublin. I did mine with him last year for around €400.

• I just got my new plastic card, haven't ridden in the past 2 years but got my learner back in 08.

Anyway can I ride my sv650 again with that license and 0 IBT? Restricted bike cert obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

I just got my new plastic card, haven't ridden in the past 2 years but got my learner back in 08.

Anyway can I ride my sv650 again with that license and 0 IBT? Restricted bike cert obviously.

No afraid not. You have now got an unrestricted permit not the old 25kw restricted one so you must complete ibt modules 1, 3 & 5 before you can ride it legally. Probably won't get insurance without ibt either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Here is a RSA video on Learner Motorcyclists. Gives a good overview on the 2 routes to the different licences

This might be a stupid question, (and feel free to point out if it is!) but I had the old A learner permit, and had passed the module 1,2,3,4 IBT, and have the certificate of completion. I had moved house, and got a new plastic card A license issued when getting my B license renewed (can't have two licenses with different addresses). As this is renewed as an A, does this mean:

(a) That I have to do module 5 of the IBT before I can go out on the road?
    OR
    (b) I can go on the road on a bike that would meet the conditions of the old A, but not above that?

If (a), this could end up landing some people in trouble when renewing their license, and be a bit of a step backwards where they now cannot go out on the road when they previously could!

Anyone know how this would work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Termagant

I figure this is the right place for my question:

I'm 22, and I want to get licensed on my dad's old bike, a 1972 Honda CD175. It's over 125cc, but power output's only 15kW, so I figured I was going for an A2 category licence, since I'm under 24 years of age. However on the ISM page about the IBT course (http://www.ism.ie/driving-lessons/motorbike/lessons-ibt-courses) it jumps from A1 - under 125cc, under 11kW to A2 - over 395cc, between 25-35 kW. Can anyone explain what I'm missing here? Or is it an error?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Termagant wrote: »
    I figure this is the right place for my question:

I'm 22, and I want to get licensed on my dad's old bike, a 1972 Honda CD175. It's over 125cc, but power output's only 15kW, so I figured I was going for an A2 category licence, since I'm under 24 years of age. However on the ISM page about the IBT course (http://www.ism.ie/driving-lessons/motorbike/lessons-ibt-courses) it jumps from A1 - under 125cc, under 11kW to A2 - over 395cc, between 25-35 kW. Can anyone explain what I'm missing here? Or is it an error?

Just looked at the MAG Ireland page, here, for more detail.

Most important bit of information for you specifically is
    Example 1 - You can ride a Honda CBR250 on an A2 license, but you cannot sit your A2 test on it because it is less than 395 cc.

So, go for the A2 but you'll need an alternative bike for your test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hi lads,

I found a pair of Ray Ban sun glasses beside a grey BMW 1200 in the bike section of Drury Street Car Park yesterday. I handed them into the staff office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chipwreck

got a beginner's quesition.

I'm 23 y/o US citizen in Ireland until November on a Working Holiday visa. I need a cheap set of wheels to get around town and was thinking a motorcycle would be a cheaper and more efficient alternative to a car. I've ridden before (dirt bikes), but don't have a motorcycle license for the US. would I be wasting my time trying to get a license and a cheap used bike here?

chipwreck wrote: »
    got a beginner's quesition.

I'm 23 y/o US citizen in Ireland until November on a Working Holiday visa. I need a cheap set of wheels to get around town and was thinking a motorcycle would be a cheaper and more efficient alternative to a car. I've ridden before (dirt bikes), but don't have a motorcycle license for the US. would I be wasting my time trying to get a license and a cheap used bike here?

You'd be wasting your money more than anything given it's only til November. It will cost upwards of 2000 Euro to just get started with the most basic of stuff. Not including protective gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 butch90

Im 23 and received my learner permit in november 2012 for category m, A1 and A under 25kw. Just noticed on citizens information site that i could do direct access to unrestricted bikes A from age 24. Does this now mean im exempt from this when reaching 24 and have to drive restricted for 2 years after completing my full licence. I haven't actually gotten a bike yet due to finances so i prob will not be buy one until im 24. My licence is also out of date on the 8 of this month

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

OK. A simple question I have not been able to answer myself :confused:

I am 40, rode bikes during my 20's but never went for the test.
    Recently I have become interested in getting on a bike again, specifically a harley V rod. I have a Northern Ireland car license, no license for the Rep.

If I get an A "learner" permit what can I ride?? I think I can ride a restricted CVO but who would insure me?? Is the restriction to 15kw? A simple answer would be great. Any help appreciated.

jjmcclure wrote: »
    OK. A simple question I have not been able to answer myself :confused:

I am 40, rode bikes during my 20's but never went for the test.
    Recently I have become interested in getting on a bike again, specifically a harley V rod. I have a Northern Ireland car license, no license for the Rep.

If I get an A "learner" permit what can I ride?? I think I can ride a restricted CVO but who would insure me?? Is the restriction to 15kw? A simple answer would be great. Any help appreciated.

Given your age, there would be absolutely no restriction on what you can legally take on the road.

Insurance might be another issue, but if you've a full clean licence, I'd imagine you'd be OK. Ring your insurance provider and get some quotes for the bikes you are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Given your age, there would be absolutely no restriction on what you can legally take on the road.

Insurance might be another issue, but if you've a full clean licence, I'd imagine you'd be OK. Ring your insurance provider and get some quotes for the bikes you are looking at.

Thanks for the response. I will check out my insurance options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Is it possibly to do the driving test on an unrestricted Suzuki GS500 or restricted? It's for the A category license. Currently his license makes him drive it restricted but I want to know if the practical test can be done on the GS500 restricted or not restricted?

Advertisement