Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Separating Audio Channels?

• 10-07-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hopefully this is the right forum for this question (and hopefully you can help me!)..

Essentially what I want to do is play audio from one program (VLC) through the left channel of my headphones only, and simultaneously play audio from another program (Sibelius) through the right channel only (or vice versa).

I'm transcribing music with Sibelius and want to listen to both the original audio file and the audio from my transcription at the same time to make sure the two versions are synced up correctly.

Is this possible?

(Also, a bit more advanced, in case anyone knows..)
    It's possible to playback the original audio in Sibelius itself, as it's part of a video file, thus I can play the video (with audio) and my transcription at exactly the same time all within Sibelius itself, but of course both audio samples are playing through both channels of my headphones/speakers simultaneously, so in order to discern between the two while listening it would be great to assign one channel for each.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 34mda

If you can control the output from both programs so that you can mute one of the 2 channels, then you should be able to configure your playback device to accept concurrent input. Since only one channel will be live from each source, it should give you the result you want.

The problem is that by default, playback devices are configured to reject a second audio source if it is already playing back another.

If you're using Windows, find your list of playback devices and go into "properties". For Realtek drivers on Windows 7, there is an "advanced" tab. Under this there is a section called "exclusive mode" with 2 options. I think both are checked by default. Preventing exclusive control should let you play multiple audio sources at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Thanks 34mda, especially your last point, that was just good to know!

I ended up sorting it out, although it'll just take a bit of hassle each time I want to do it..

(For those interested :P )

Sibelius allows you to pan each instrument sound in the mixer anyway (don't know why I didn't remember that before), so I set those all to the right.

For the original audio, I extracted the audio from the video file using AOA, then opened the new WAV with Audacity and changed it to mono, panned 100% left. I could then open the new-new WAV in Sibelius (instead of a video), and play the original audio in the left channel and the Sibelius sounds in the right channel. Hurrah!

Advertisement