Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler malfunction

• 10-07-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hello everyone!

Recently, when I came to myself after yesterday's bbq and planned to flush myself, boiler refused to obey.
    When I switch it to ON the small red light doesn't lit. I thought that was a light fault, but after 30 minutes of waiting cold water is flowing from the tap. When I'm switching bath-sink button, the light on a switch illuminates for a moment and still nothing happens, so the current is running and it is not the fault of switch. Fuses checked, everything else works tiptop.
    Does anyone already had such failure? Do I still have a chance to take a hot shower today?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

klub44 wrote: »
    boiler .... bath-sink button...... shower
    In order to give you any help with your problem ,you are going to have to explain your problem a bit more clearly. Are you talking about an electric shower and if so what model? Or is the hot water tank involved in some way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

You say the small red light doesn't stay on. This usually means there is a fault in boiler. All boilers have a reset button to restart, though from the sounds of it you have to identify if the boiler is actually "on" and burning gas and pumping the hot water out through the pipes.

Can you see whether the gas is burning inside boiler? On some boilers (not them all) there is a small,round glass window (about 1 inch in size) to allow you to see into combustion chamber if the gas is burning or not? Its blue flames when burning, and no flames if its not burning!

Also,you should check to see if the pump is working. Just put your hand on outside of pump to feel if its vibrating. Then again, if pump is intregrated into boiler you'd be unable to do that!

Check whether the water pipe leaving the boiler is warm to the touch. This is the simplest way to identify if the boiler is heating the water in first place/gas is being burnt.

Alternately,phone a plumber who can run through a simnple check list with you before they'll come out.

As a guess I would say you're immersion is broken or over heated, as posted you are better off getting someone to check/repair it and show you the position of the reset rather than risk getting a belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭klub44

Thanks for a help . It looks that immersion heater is broke in boiler. I have to call plumber urgently now :)
    And the most important question: Is there any chance to force my landlord to pay for that ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pjammer

If you are in rented accommodation then it is the responsibility of the landlord to have the immersion repaired.

• Advertisement
Advertisement