Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applying to UK uni for maths with leaving cert maths

• 10-07-2011 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi i'm thinking of doing maths in uni in the UK but i'm wondering what the gap is between the leaving cert maths and the A levels and if i would need to do a bit more work

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Have a look at this.

It doesn't look that much more difficult than the LC tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I assume most maths courses would expect you to have the "Further Maths" A-level

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

As someone looking to do (hopefully) Maths in Cambridge after the LC, I found out from an email from one of their reps, Leaving Cert Maths+Applied Maths = A-level Maths + AS Further Maths (its like half of an A-level, kinda) AS further maths is typically all you need for a uni maths course in England (in all the universities I'm at looking at, bar two of the Cambridge colleges)

But the conversion isnt as important, as most of the English Uni's have Leaving Cert entry requirements also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

jagati wrote: »
    hi i'm thinking of doing maths in uni in the UK but i'm wondering what the gap is between the leaving cert maths and the A levels and if i would need to do a bit more work

thanks

Where are you thinking of applying? No, you won't be at a disadvantage if you haven't done A levels, but you will be if you haven't done some extra maths in your spare time (for oxbridge at least). Read some books too.. that personal statement won't fill itself! If you're a maths nerd then I probably don't need to be warning you but if not, a lot of English kids spend entire summers on their personal statements (I have friends in England) and do a lot of work experience/ win prizes etc. so get started early! I applied for maths via UCAS this year.. fingers crossed I'll get the grades now! PM me if you want any more details

Advertisement