Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dumb Question about tour de france

• 10-07-2011 7:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

I have been watching it this year more closely than I have in previous years and I have a dumb question for the experts.

When a cyclist goes to the front of a breakaway group or the peloton and he is either setting the pace or chasing someone down, well this guy at the front is normally said to be burying himself, doing all the work etc etc. - what is the rationale behind that?

If a guy is setting the pace at the front of a breakaway group or if a domestique is burying himself at the head of the peloton to chase someone down or shake off backmarkers then surely the person behind them is cycling just as fast, is going up the same hills at the same pace in the same temperatures etc., i.e. the person behind the frontman is cycling at precisely the same level.

I can understand in windy conditions that it's an advantage to get a bit of shelter and also there is the psychological aspecy whereby you just follow a wheel instead of setting the pace yourself but is the guy behind not doing more or less the exact same amount of work.

hency my question about why the frontman gets so much credit for working hard, the people behind him are cycling at the same pace as him in the same conditions are surely are putting in as much work.

I need this explained to me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

donfers wrote: »
    I can understand in windy conditions that it's an advantage to get a bit of shelter

Shelter is the majority of it, but the benefit is gained all the time, not just when it is windy. If they are cycling at 50Km/h then the effective wind is 50Km/h into the riders. The leader takes the full force of it, the rest don't so they get to save some energy. I have heard it said that the person second in a line saves 30% or more than the person in the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I was finishing a spin on Sat, ~8km to go and struggling badly.

Clocking around 24kph. Group of 9 caught me and I just managed to hang on the back, suddenly doing 32-34kph without any effort at all.

That's the difference a slipstream effect can make

Advertisement