Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hit By Car

• 10-07-2011 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I was coming home from a cycle this morning and I was making my way round a roundabout when a car came onto the roundabout. The driver didn't look right and I had no way of stopping and so ran into the car with my bike. Hurt my shoulder (it's killing me), but more importantly, I am worried about my bike. It has a carbon fibre frame and I heard a crack when I hit the car. The driver of the car drove off and I thought I had his reg no., but when I went to the garda station, the garda said it was a blue car not green, so I might have got one of the numbers wrong on the reg.
    The big worry I have is if that crack I heard meant that I cracked the carbon fibre frame. Any guidance would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go to doctor.

The bike can be sorted "mañana", but do get it checked.

The Garda PULSE computer system can be searched with a wildcard, so they might find the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i dont know whehter you are asking for advice on fixing your bike or tracking down the driver, but if its tracking down the driver post up the location and someone might know of a cctv in operation nearby that might have caught something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Getting your shoulder seen by a doctor as soon as possible must be the most important thing. In a stressful situation like that, the cracking sound could be anything, maybe your bike or some plastic part of the car, or something else. I hope that you and your bike are ok, and that the driver gets caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Doc 1st, bike later as previous poster says.
    If you have the number close enough and any idea of make/model, it'll be possible to get the details out of PULSE. Also, blue & green are commonly interchangeable (in the licensing system) depending on shade. You may not have got the number wrong at all, so don't allow yourself to be fobbed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Marguerite Tonery

Thanks! I will get my shoulder seen tomorrow. I think there is a cctv in that area actually. I will ask the garda station closest to the accident about that. I just hope the bike is okay. It would be a huge expense to have to replace the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

if its private cctv (pub, shop, etc) call them yourself. no offence to the gardai, but they may see this as low priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

You could use cartell.ie to check the Reg number yourself. If it comes up with the same make and model of car that hit you,you've probably got the correct Reg. With today's paint colours on cars there's a blurred line between what some consider blue and green.
    Hope you and the bike are ok. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There's a grey area ;) between blue and green
    So it's possible you have the correct reg but it's just registered differently

Go look for CCTV yourself and you can pass it along to the gardaí as they mighn't followup and CCTV often gets recorded over within a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Hope you're OK, but presumably you reported this as a hit and run, and the cops would take this more seriously than "just" an accident no? Hope you find the scumbag and s/he gets their justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Bad luck. Make sure and chase it up.

If it's any consolation, it can happen to the pro's just as well. A hit and run on live tv today!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I was coming home from a cycle this morning and I was making my way round a roundabout when a car came onto the roundabout. The driver didn't look right and I had no way of stopping and so ran into the car with my bike. Hurt my shoulder (it's killing me), but more importantly, I am worried about my bike. It has a carbon fibre frame and I heard a crack when I hit the car. The driver of the car drove off and I thought I had his reg no., but when I went to the garda station, the garda said it was a blue car not green, so I might have got one of the numbers wrong on the reg.
    The big worry I have is if that crack I heard meant that I cracked the carbon fibre frame. Any guidance would be really appreciated.

1) Go to Doctor IMMEDIATELY and get checked out! Seriously, like right now, walk into the ER.

2) Keep on the Gardai. Did you file a report?

3) As advised, check the local CCTV cameras.

4) This happened on Saturday? I would be at that roundabout every day from (an hour ahead) now until next Sat. Then, I would be there every Sat for a month or two, an hour ahead. People are creatures of habit...

5) What kind of frame do you have? Consider it dead. However, I believe Trek and Cannondale have buy-back programs. Better than nothing. Carbon doesn't bend or deform, it breaks like glass. Don't ride it.

Good luck and remember that walking away is the most important thing here.
    mikemac wrote: »
    There's a grey area between blue and green
    So it's possible you have the correct reg but it's just registered differently
    That's actually a great point. The registration of the car isn't as descriptive as the manufacturer. Blue and green are close on the old Spectrum -ROYGBIV!

6) Get online and find the make and model of the car, if you can. See what the manufacturer calls the color.

7) Go back again and talk to a different Gardai. You would be surprised at the different information different people yield. Also, have the Gardai go out and see the car. Do you know any Gardai? Any solicitors in the family? Go talk to the local councilman/woman and remind them of how many votes their are in your household.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

Put the reg number in here and it tells you what the make, model and colour is, and if there have been any ownership changes in the last 3 months.

https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/start.do;jsessionid=0aa0114830d874a159bcd3914a409079f7dab56c95bd.e38PaNaSbhuOay0Max10?page=welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Marguerite Tonery

Thanks for all your help. It's been really informative. Went to the Garda station this morning. Need to get my shoulder checked today too. Thanks for the advice not to cycle the bike again. I went to the bike shop, but they won't be able to check it until Wednesday, so I hope it's nothing major. I have a Wilier Triestina Izoard and I would hate to be off the bike for long while waiting for repair or another one to arrive. I love cycling.

Advertisement