Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing car

Options
  • 10-07-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I currently have an 06 Lexus IS220d (executive spec) that I brought back from the UK when I transferred my residence back to Ireland. Have to keep it for another 6 months before I can sell it but after that I'd be looking to sell it and buy something similar. I've had a change of circumstances and the motor tax is much more than it was when I was in the UK (€860). I only get 40mpg out of it (2.2 diesel) and the insurance is expensive as well.

Can anyone recommend a decent car to change it for? I'd be looking for a diesel engine (up to 2.0L) with a similar spec (cruise control, bluetooth, CD multi changer/AUX input, reversing sensors (have camera in Lexus but am willing to live without that) - preferably 2008 or later for the favourable tax rates. I reckon I could get near enough €16k for the Lexus in 6 months (maybe thats ambitious) and could spend all of that on the new car.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Comments

wicky9 wrote: »
    ............................... I reckon I could get near enough €16k for the Lexus in 6 months (maybe thats ambitious) ..........

That is exceptionally ambitious of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Given that 07s are starting at €10k now, in 2012 yours is 2 years older reg wise, 16 is more than ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wicky9

OK OK point taken but for the pruposes of this thread I will have approximately 16k to spend.

There's always the 320d. You bought the lexus over one a few years back though so maybe you don't like them
    A4
    9-3
    320d
    Alfa 159
    Subaru legacy
    Honda accord
    Skoda superb
    Seat exeo

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭J77

Something like this?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/2.0-TDI-/201109201495687/advert?channel=CARS

TBH you're probably going to face loosing bhp if you want similar spec and you won't really swing a 2008 tax rate. You're not really going to be able to get something alot better than the lexus. Fair enough it's costing you 800 a year to tax but if you think you'll be in a better position financially in a year or so then I'd wait on and see if you can spend 20k. That'll allow for a worthwhile upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anything diesel that is similar to the Lexus from 2008 has strong resale value as they are cheaper to tax. Accord diesel, IS220, A4 or 320D on 08 plates are all still relatively expensive to buy.

Worth noting that even a 120hp 2.0 TDI feels nippier than a 220d most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭J77

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Worth noting that even a 120hp 2.0 TDI feels nippier than a 220d most of the time

Really? Haven't driven an IS220d but I always heard the 177bhp rating wasn't a true reflection - gearbox is meant to let the side down a bit? I wasn't overly happy with the interior it felt a big plasticky to me.

OP if 120bhp is sufficient for you then you'll have alot more choice. Would suggest a c200 cdi but the MY08 is holding its value quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Gearbox on is220d Sport model had shorter ratios which partially addresed the issue.

Advertisement