Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Disastrous service

Options
  • 10-07-2011 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have been without my broadband since last Wednesday and according to Eircom there is a fault in the area and could tell me no more. That is five days ago and we still are without broadband. The customer sevice is appalling - no idea of problem and when it will be fixed. Worst of all no customer service of over the weekend! This is as bad as it gets as I am sure that they will still send a bill as per usual. Does anyone know which is the best broadband supplier to change to as I have just about had it with these cowboys? I could have gone into a major rant but I am sure someone out there will have experienced the same thing. :mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

jennyhy wrote: »
    I have been without my broadband since last Wednesday and according to Eircom there is a fault in the area and could tell me no more. That is five days ago and we still are without broadband. The customer sevice is appalling - no idea of problem and when it will be fixed. Worst of all no customer service of over the weekend! This is as bad as it gets as I am sure that they will still send a bill as per usual. Does anyone know which is the best broadband supplier to change to as I have just about had it with these cowboys? I could have gone into a major rant but I am sure someone out there will have experienced the same thing. :mad::mad::mad:

Technical support are open 7 days a week 8 am until 10 pm. Specific outage info is reported to frontline staff as it is available. If the issue has been ongoing for 5 days it is obviously a major issue with the exchange. There can be no eta on these issues. They are fixed when they are fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi jennyhy,

Can you PM your telephone number and I will check with managers in broadband technical support to see if there is an indication as to when the issue will be resolved.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jennyhy

Well apparently we are on 40% but had a major battle with eircom yesterday where we were told by technical support that it was an upgrade and then by another that there was a problem. We were then put onto accounts as we have a real problem paying for a service which we are not receiving. The lovely girl in accounts 'Mary' with no surname told us that technical didnt care and neither does eircom if we change. Wonderful customer care. Anyway eventually we got through to a supervisor who insisted Eircom 'do care'. But as you can see we are up an running but I must say if this is their service it really does leave alot to be desired. I am in business and would have either have been shut down long ago or would have been sacked with this attitude. Accounts are a disgrace and need a lesson or two in customer care, and technical support cant seem to get their story straight - and no timeline, everything is in progress. Need some advice on best broadband supplier please as I am so disgusted at this attitude.

Well apparently we are on 40% but had a major battle with eircom yesterday where we were told by technical support that it was an upgrade and then by another that there was a problem. We were then put onto accounts as we have a real problem paying for a service which we are not receiving. The lovely girl in accounts 'Mary' with no surname told us that technical didnt care and neither does eircom if we change. Wonderful customer care. Anyway eventually we got through to a supervisor who insisted Eircom 'do care'. But as you can see we are up an running but I must say if this is their service it really does leave alot to be desired. I am in business and would have either have been shut down long ago or would have been sacked with this attitude. Accounts are a disgrace and need a lesson or two in customer care, and technical support cant seem to get their story straight - and no timeline, everything is in progress. Need some advice on best broadband supplier please as I am so disgusted at this attitude.

Hi jennyhy,

I can see what I can do to try and help get the issue resolved, I just need your account details and I will chase this up for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

if its any consolation im with digiweb and their over the phone services are terrible also.
    I had an issue with our router and eircom said they would issue another one but we would have to extend our contract by a year so just decided to switch.

as for the best broadband supplier well its probably upc but not everyone is in their supply area as they are rolling out in dublin,cork,limerick first before (hopefully) moving to the rest of the populus.
    since you are with eircom, digiweb rent their lines from eircom, so im sure any other companies in the area now using their own lines would have been down also. if its customer care you want then I really dont know what you can do. As i said digiweb are poor at best and their support number isnt even free - rediculous. But i hafnt had a problem so far, bar setting up billing a second time because when i signed up they failed to do the paperwork right or something and it cost me money to ring them to do this.

so yeah if you can get upc, probably best to switch to them. if not, then as i said, everyone else runs on eircom lines, so it would all be down elsewhere also.
    if you consider satellite broadband, setup is expensive generally, gaming (if you have kids in household) is impossible, but besides that seems a reliable service, especially for people who are in isolated areas where if their line gets a fault it can take a long time to fix as they arent going to be rushing to fix one line if there is another down which supplies 50 customers

Thanks everybody for your help. Mark if you check th Dundrum are you might see our problem appearing - dont want to put my details on the web.
    I just can tbelieve I have to go to these lengths to be heard! There is a message in this for client service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Thanks everybody for your help. Mark if you check th Dundrum are you might see our problem appearing - dont want to put my details on the web.
    I just can tbelieve I have to go to these lengths to be heard! There is a message in this for client service.

Hi jennyhy
    like you I find it difficult to believe anyone within customer service would say they did not care. We have reported this to appropriate manager and this will be dealth with.
    My apologies you were not able to get any helpful information on this, if you do change your mind and PM me your telephone number I will have this broadband issue investigated also.
    Again my apologies your queries were not answered, but any query or issue you may have in future post us here and we will deal with your query.
    Tony

Well you wont believe it - my Eircom broadband is down AGAIN!!! We have been told that it was running at 30% but they didnt know what was wrong - then we received a bill which is for the high speed which is in actual fact crawling and now its gone. As usual the sevice from Eircom has been just the as expected. Disgraceful! We are now without broadband for four days, they dont know whats wrong with it and more to the point dont seem to care. After THREE calls and the promise of an engineer calling we have heard a big fat NOTHING! I now have to go to the local Bewleys to get my business done. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. We told Eircom that we are looking to move if this isnt sorted and were told that that would mean we would be at least 2 weeks without broadband if we did - at this rate it will be quicker to move than broadband getting off their lovely large executive chairs and doing some work to restore our service. Please advise which is the best hih speed broadband to move to. And my advice to anyone wishing to move to EIRCOM broadband - DONT! Forget their great Hub music ads - its no good if you cant access your broadband. Dark ages or what! All help greatly appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They are doing a lot of work in Dundrum to launch a superfast VDSL service there next month. I would hang in a few weeks till the work is done. One would expect them to communicate the extent of this work to their Dundrum customers.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply. This might be the case but I have no broadband at all and they dont know whats wrong and dont see to give a hoot> Imagine I have to go to a fireinds house to receive my email. Iphone and Ipad not working in the house. It is like living in the dark ages. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Seems to me, jennyh, that you were offered a resolution to your problem by one of the eircom reps, or at least an update. But you didn't want to send a PM with your details

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Go look for a nearby eircom street cabinet like THIS ONE and see if they are working on it right now. Usually found at entrance to estate or nearby.

Then tell them to fix your line :)

Good idea. By the way responded to eircom through email and we got serve back but gone Again, Fully understnad things can break but I fulley expect a quick resolution. In addition they expect me to pay for a full service which we have not had. I am in business and I would be long gone if I behaved like eircom.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Why don't you take the issue up with the two Eircom reps on this Thread, they offering to look into the matter if you PM your details.

Lets see if they come back to me. Terrible if this is the only way to get through to Eircom. Thoroughly fed up and appauled with lack of service and a hefty bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Lets see if they come back to me. Terrible if this is the only way to get through to Eircom. Thoroughly fed up and appauled with lack of service and a hefty bill.

Then do something, switch.

Good idea. By the way responded to eircom through email and we got serve back but gone Again, Fully understnad things can break but I fulley expect a quick resolution. In addition they expect me to pay for a full service which we have not had. I am in business and I would be long gone if I behaved like eircom.:mad:

Hi jennyhy,

If you click on my name eircom: Mark there is an option just below that to send a private message. That will be sent to me and won't be visable on the public forum.

So if you private message your details I can investigate your connection issues directly.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kevinbreen

I applied to Eircom for bb, was told though that when the line was installed that if bb wouldn't work, then the contract (6months and free installation btw on promotion) could be cancelled no questions asked. The lady in sales even gave me her direct line. That was August 12th.

End of Sept line and bb were enabled. The guy who put it in told me to expect from 4.5 to 5.5MB. But the BB quality was crap.

ZERO POINT EIGHT MB. 0.8MB.

You could nearly talk faster than that down the line. The direct line btw ways useless, rarely answered and always by a different person.
    Called BB Support - they told me the line was showing AMBER, and could only hold 1MB, but they bumped up the profile to 2, then the following day, 3. Then I was uploading a vid and the entire thing slowed down dreadfully again. Another call to BB Support - was told the line would only hold 1.8MB or thereabouts. They told me to ring Sales.

That's when the bombshell dropped.

A PREQUAL test had been carried out in May and indicated that I would only be ever able to get 1MB. What does all this mean?

It means that Eircom knew all along or should have that I was only ever going to be able for 1MB. So all the smoothy sales talk about 3MB packs and 8MB packs was cynical bollox. I was duped, lied to and my time was wasted.
    I entered several Fault Reports on their website during this time and got fobbed off, and was told to contact sales.

Folks, avoid Eircom if at all possible. They are incompetent, devious, ignorant and dishonest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi kevinbreen,

Thanks for contacting eircom's Forum on Boards.

From what you say, it would appear that you should never have been advised that an amber (region) broadband line would expect between 4.5 to 5.5MB. As you say 'The guy who put it in told me to expect from 4.5 to 5.5MB'. There is no guarantee on broadband availability on an extended reach line, and then it would normally be around 1Mb (or 2Mb - at max), as you were correctly advised.

Before you contacted eircom Technical Support you report that you received 800Kb (or 'ZERO POINT EIGHT MB. 0.8MB'). This is just over the expected average speed on a 1Mb line and almost one to one contention. Normally 0.72Mb would be the average on a 1Mb broadband connection.
    If your broadband attainable rates fell short of 1.8Mb, then unfortunately it would not be possible to increase your profile from 1Mb to 2Mb, without significantly affecting your overall broadband connection /speed.

ADSL is rate adaptive based technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading won't change this distance or what your broadband connection prequalifies for

If you need more information on broadband, please contact Technical Support. They will be able to definitively guide and advise you on expected broadband speeds in an amber or extended reach location.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards,
    Ant

kevinbreen wrote: »
    I applied to Eircom for bb, was told though that when the line was installed that if bb wouldn't work, then the contract (6months and free installation btw on promotion) could be cancelled no questions asked. The lady in sales even gave me her direct line. That was August 12th.

End of Sept line and bb were enabled. The guy who put it in told me to expect from 4.5 to 5.5MB. But the BB quality was crap.

ZERO POINT EIGHT MB. 0.8MB.

You could nearly talk faster than that down the line. The direct line btw ways useless, rarely answered and always by a different person.
    Called BB Support - they told me the line was showing AMBER, and could only hold 1MB, but they bumped up the profile to 2, then the following day, 3. Then I was uploading a vid and the entire thing slowed down dreadfully again. Another call to BB Support - was told the line would only hold 1.8MB or thereabouts. They told me to ring Sales.

That's when the bombshell dropped.

A PREQUAL test had been carried out in May and indicated that I would only be ever able to get 1MB. What does all this mean?

It means that Eircom knew all along or should have that I was only ever going to be able for 1MB. So all the smoothy sales talk about 3MB packs and 8MB packs was cynical bollox. I was duped, lied to and my time was wasted.
    I entered several Fault Reports on their website during this time and got fobbed off, and was told to contact sales.

Folks, avoid Eircom if at all possible. They are incompetent, devious, ignorant and dishonest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 kevinbreen

"Please let me know if I can assist you further."

- er, you haven't helped me AT ALL. You're just reciting what I already know, which I SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOLD before I applied.
    You are like the people in Support and Sales - you DON'T address the real issue of my complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

kevinbreen wrote: »
    "Please let me know if I can assist you further."

- er, you haven't helped me AT ALL. You're just reciting what I already know, which I SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOLD before I applied.
    You are like the people in Support and Sales - you DON'T address the real issue of my complaint.

Hi Kevinbreen,

Thanks for post. As advised, if you need further technical help or advice on your broadband connection, call into eircom Technical Support.

They will take the time with you and make sure that your broadband connection is at it's optimum.

Best regards,
    Ant

I know exactly how you feel. We had so many problems with Eircom. We had the engineer out twice from broadband who absolutely insisted that the fault wa not Eircom and suggested we get our own electrician out. Our own electrician went through everything and unplugged every line etc to see what speed we were getting and it was only at 3 - we had paid for 24 at a cost of I think 63 euro a month. Soi after months of Eircoms horrendous service we changed to UPC and guess what we are getting the full service for less. However as we had changed before our 'new upgrade' with Eircom had reached the full year (11 months we had this awful service on 3 yet paying for 24) we had to pay an exit fee of nearly 100 euro. We didnt even bother to fight it, just paid up and got out. Eircom are absolute chancers, no service or support, rude and quite frankly I would love to see them go to the wall - with this carry on they dont deserve to stay in business. They should be ashamed. Anyone looking at this you have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The strange thing is that an eircom linesman himself said to expect 4 to 5 mbps. Is it possible the prequal check is wrong or could be re-run to rule that out? I doubt the eircom technician said that unless the line was only a couple of miles long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I had an Eircom salemans call to my house last year telling me I could now get 7mb broadband in my estate. I asked him was he certain because when I had enquired myself in the past I was told 1mb was the most I could get. He told me the lines had been upgraded and he had pre-checked my estate before calling around just to be sure.

So I said great, sign me up as I was only on a 1mb package with a wireless provider at that time. The next day I had a niggle about the promise of 7mb in my area due to the distance i was from the exchange so I rang Eircom direct to double check. The lady I spoke to on the phone in broadband services confirmed that I could now get up to 7mb in my estate. Excellent I thought.

Received my new router a few days later and hooked it up to find that I was getting only 0.8mb downloads. Fine I thought, maybe I have to ring them to switch it on fully. So I called Eircom again and was told this time that my line could only support a max of 1mb. And from the tone of the person on the phone I was made to feel like an idiot when they said what did I expect bearing in mind where I was. What I expected was to be told the truth on the two occasions I had queried it beforehand.

So I cancelled immediately and have been telling friends ever since to stay clear of Eircom. It's not the first time I have had bad experiences with Eircom but it will be the last as I have no intention of dealing with them ever again.

Advertisement