Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fabia VRS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

First!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

First!
    Its a sweet little estate isn't it:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Its a sweet little estate isn't it:cool:

Lol sorry m8. I just took a spot as first one to post in this thread ;)

Wait a minute. It will be fun thread soon. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Let me try and comprehend this properly :pac:
    • Skoda
    • 180bhp
    • Autobox

Thats a first. :D

But seriously I'd have the estate quicker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Practicality aside, that's a diabolical looking yoke. I know skoda are supposed to be the ironic Volkswagen but that's ridiculous

25 grand for a 1.4 skoda estate. A crack habit looks more viable on paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Interior in the red one is horrid especially with wind up windows.

Wheels on the estate look like Halfords sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm driving one for the last month and absolutely love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

fletch wrote: »
    I'm driving one for the last month and absolutely love it!

Whats it like? Hard on fuel, comfortable, fast?

Have you bought it?

I'm surprised at the negative comments towards it. I like them mind you I'd prefer the Ibiza Cupra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Had a go off one recently and it's a cracking little car to go. Not 100% on the DSG only bit but can't fault the box. I'd like a green one with the black roof:)

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Whats it like? Hard on fuel, comfortable, fast?

Have you bought it?
    Yes I bought it....I drove the previous vrs for 4.5years and it was perfect for my needs...I wanted something practical, cheap to run and relatively nippy. It was faultless in the 4yrs so I decided to give the new one a go seeing as I don't do the mileage to warrant buying another diesel.

Hard on fuel...yes and no...I can't get 65mpg like the old vrs but on a run I am managing 45mpg and the engine is still very tight with less than 1,000miles on the clock so it should improve. Fast..., again it's all relative. It doesn't feel as fast as my old vrs (which had 400Nm of torque compared to 250Nm in the new one) but a look down at the speedo reveals how deceptively fast it is. It is listed as 7.3 seconds to 60 but there's guys in the UK hitting 6.5 in standard ones. Getting off the line quickly is so much easier than the old vrs which would just wheelspin...the 7 speed dsg just looks after everything so its totally effortless in traffic light grand prix's.

I totally see where people are coming from with the looks...it is far from a looker however everyone that I've shown it to agrees that it's much better lookin than a standard Fabia...anyway I didn't buy it for its looks, I bought it for its combination of economy and power.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Werent the older models the 1.9 TDI engine re mapped ?

Where did 1.4 come from ???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭vectra

MugMugs wrote: »

Petrol now instead of diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

vectra wrote: »
    MugMugs wrote: »

Petrol now instead of diesel

Boo!

Oh and in terns of comfort...again it's very subjective...it is A LOT more comfortable than my sisters Panda 100HP but not as comfortable as a family saloon. Personally I find it much more compliant than the old vRS (but then I had that lowered with front strut brace and rear anti-roll bar so it was quite harsh particularly with that heavy diesel up front).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

That thing looks far too much like a Mini for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Another writer on The Next Gear has the VRS on test this week, interior looks amm rough, bad seats. It's quick though, kept up with the A6 3.0tdi Quattro I have this week for a little sprint.
    Turn off the traction control and all you get is spinning tyres, not enough weight to get any traction off the line.
    Review from Paul shortly.
    BTW Skoda don't call it a VRS in Ireland, just an RS well that's what's in the handout they give to the press. Seems a little stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Horrible, horrible looking thing! Just wait a year and get a 235bhp Guilietta instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

1.4 180bhp? is it turbo's or something

• Advertisement

barone wrote: »
    1.4 180bhp? is it turbo's or something
    Turbo+supercharger :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Am I seriously seeing wind-up rear windows on a 24k 'top of the range' motor??

Yes and a crappy cheap aircon system.

They are nice to drive though thats the thing

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

I can't understand it, that money will buy at least four mk2 octavias

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭vectra

And very "Tinny" doors when you close them :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Saves weight, etc. I'd have them in the front of a new car if I could

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€24k for a 1.4l Skoda Fabia

That's a lot of money!

The supercars I could run on that kinda budget :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

unkel wrote: »

That's a lot of money!

unkel wrote: »

That's a lot of money!

The quick little Skoda Fabia

24k loan at today's rate is about 125 euro a week payment.

He gets a brand new car, 180bhp, 45mpg, low road tax, no expenses bar tyres because of the warranty for 3 years.

He sells it in 5 years ( trouble free ) when warranty is up for 8k so it costs him

83 euro a week altogether to have owned the car.

car tax over that 5 years costs him 1500e

insurance for a 30 year old 2500e

fuel doing average milage of 10k miles a year car doing 45mpg @ 1.47 = 1500e a year so 7500e

servicing, tyres etc 250e a year max, so 1250 euro.

12750e for 5 year or 50e a week

83e+50e = 133e a week for 5 year for the new fabia.

Your supercar.

Say the BMW M3 which is the best car ever made according to boards.

You get a nice clean one for 8k over 5 year loan.

You sell it in 5 years for 2k.

36 euro a week for the 300bhp+ monster

road tax 1500 a year, so 7500 for 5 years

insurance for the same guy lets say 750, 3750 euro for 5 years

fuel costs average milage of 10k @1.47 car doing 25mpg, 2700e a year, 13500e for 5 years

servicing have no idea here, car has no warranty, lets say its fine and you only need tyres, oil change etc, the timing belt, shocks and stuff.

650e a year for that? 3000 euro over the 5.

28000e over the 5 years or 110e a week

36e + 110e

146e a week for the M3 over 5 years.

I can see both sides to this argument, my numbers a guess work by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I really dont think you'll get 45mpg average out of it though unless cruising at 120 in 7th. If you press on at all it will drink it at quite a rate. Was funny watching the instantaneous readout:D

About the comments on the interior though, I found the seats great in it and the spec thoroughly decent. The windy rear windows wouldnt bother me too much and the interior quality is par for the course on superminis. It certainly wasn't a rattly old tin. The trim is more functional than classy in places but it's well screwed together and on a par with the Octavia for example which would be class average or better in its segment.

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    I really dont think you'll get 45mpg average out of it though unless cruising at 120 in 7th. If you press on at all it will drink it at quite a rate. Was funny watching the instantaneous readout:D

About the comments on the interior though, I found the seats great in it and the spec thoroughly decent. The windy rear windows wouldnt bother me too much and the interior quality is par for the course on superminis. It certainly wasn't a rattly old tin. The trim is more functional than classy in places but it's well screwed together and on a par with the Octavia for example which would be class average or better in its segment.
    I suppose it all depends on your driving. I've only just passed 1000miles on mine but I have done 4 100+ mile runs and exceeded 40mpg on each run with a fair few overtakes (that will improve when the engine loosens up). I think late 30's combined is a more realistic figure to expect.

Yeh I don't really understand the negative comments in relation to the interior. The seat material is very good quality and have very good lateral support. And if windy rear windows bother people that much they are only a €200 option.

It came standard with cruise, bluetooth, ESP, tyre pressure monitors, hill hold control, aux connection, DRLs, maxi-dot display, manual air-con...I added a few extras like sunroof, rear electric windows, heated seats, multi-function steering wheel, MDI, climate control etc so I suppose mine isn't exactly standard. To be honest though, it comes with most necessities as standard (I just decided to treat myself as I had saved hard :))

Advertisement