Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fabia VRS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭vectra

EPM wrote: »
    I really dont think you'll get 45mpg average out of it though unless cruising at 120 in 7th. If you press on at all it will drink it at quite a rate. Was funny watching the instantaneous readout

LOL
    What did you get it to?
    I test drove a leon tsi once while my own car was being serviced..
    Managed to hit 38L/100 km :eek:

And was pretty dead to be honest,
    That put me off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

vectra wrote: »
    LOL
    What did you get it to?
    I test drove a leon tsi once
    Isn't that the 1.2l TSI. I drove one and HATTED it

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Squall19 wrote: »
    The quick little Skoda Fabia

24k loan at today's rate is about 125 euro a week payment.

He gets a brand new car, 180bhp, 45mpg, low road tax, no expenses bar tyres because of the warranty for 3 years.

He sells it in 5 years ( trouble free ) when warranty is up for 8k so it costs him

83 euro a week altogether to have owned the car.

car tax over that 5 years costs him 1500e

insurance for a 30 year old 2500e

fuel doing average milage of 10k miles a year car doing 45mpg @ 1.47 = 1500e a year so 7500e

servicing, tyres etc 250e a year max, so 1250 euro.

12750e for 5 year or 50e a week

83e+50e = 133e a week for 5 year for the new fabia.

Your supercar.

Say the BMW M3 which is the best car ever made according to boards.

You get a nice clean one for 8k over 5 year loan.

You sell it in 5 years for 2k.

36 euro a week for the 300bhp+ monster

road tax 1500 a year, so 7500 for 5 years

insurance for the same guy lets say 750, 3750 euro for 5 years

fuel costs average milage of 10k @1.47 car doing 25mpg, 2700e a year, 13500e for 5 years

servicing have no idea here, car has no warranty, lets say its fine and you only need tyres, oil change etc, the timing belt, shocks and stuff.

650e a year for that? 3000 euro over the 5.

28000e over the 5 years or 110e a week

36e + 110e

146e a week for the M3 over 5 years.

I can see both sides to this argument, my numbers a guess work by the way

That's what I'm saying. You can drive a nearly new very fast 343BHP sportscar (won't call the M3 a supercar) and it won't cost you any more than driving a brand new little 1.4l super mini :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

johnos1984 wrote: »

Since this year I think. The 1.4 TSI suits the Leon well enough tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Your supercar.

fuel costs average milage of 10k @1.47 car doing 25mpg, 2700e a year, 13500e for 5 years

servicing have no idea here, car has no warranty, lets say its fine and you only need tyres, oil change etc, the timing belt, shocks and stuff.

36e + 110e

I'm a bit sceptical of this idea that you can maintain a ten year old M3 for €650pa over 5 years. Over one year, maybe, if you don't mind putting things off. Long-term, I would have thought €2000pa a safer guesstimate. I've a weakness for middle-aged heavy metal German myself, but the figures have never stacked up for me against newer, smaller cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I've not had the pleasure yet. I love to drive SEAT's but their interior in the Leon is a major downer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

The quick little Skoda Fabia

24k loan at today's rate is about 125 euro a week payment.

He gets a brand new car, 180bhp, 45mpg, low road tax, no expenses bar tyres because of the warranty for 3 years.

He sells it in 5 years ( trouble free ) when warranty is up for 8k so it costs him

83 euro a week altogether to have owned the car.

car tax over that 5 years costs him 1500e

insurance for a 30 year old 2500e

fuel doing average milage of 10k miles a year car doing 45mpg @ 1.47 = 1500e a year so 7500e

servicing, tyres etc 250e a year max, so 1250 euro.

12750e for 5 year or 50e a week

83e+50e = 133e a week for 5 year for the new fabia.

Your supercar.

36e + 110e

interesting figures and quite persuasive

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'm a bit sceptical of this idea that you can maintain a ten year old M3 for €650pa over 5 years. Over one year, maybe, if you don't mind putting things off. Long-term, I would have thought €2000pa a safer guesstimate. I've a weakness for middle-aged heavy metal German myself, but the figures have never stacked up for me against newer, smaller cars.

If it's a well maintained example you should get away with about €1k a year maintenance to include tyres once you're not thrashing it.

Point is you can drive a very nice car for little more than a very average car.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    If it's a well maintained example you should get away with about €1k a year maintenance to include tyres once you're not thrashing it.

Point is you can drive a very nice car for little more than a very average car.
    Perhaps i've just been unlucky, but in my experience it's generally cost twoice that - and this starting off with a very good car. As an aside, is there any point in giving up a new Fabia VRS for a ten year old M3 that you're not allowed to thrash?;)

Perhaps i've just been unlucky, but in my experience it's generally cost twoice that - and this starting off with a very good car. As an aside, is there any point in giving up a new Fabia VRS for a ten year old M3 that you're not allowed to thrash?;)

There's a difference between driving a car within its limits and downright abusing it - maybe this is why it cost you €2k a year to maintian. :p

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    There's a difference between driving a car within its limits and downright abusing it - maybe this is why it cost you €2k a year to maintian. :p
    Seriously though, you'd want to be driving fairly hard to get the benefit out of an M3 as opposed to the Fabia - and a 10 year old car will naturally be less able to reliably take that.

Yup.
    1.4tsi > 122 bhp of deadness

I Thought the 1.4 was a shambles tbh.:o
    I've not had the pleasure yet. I love to drive SEAT's but their interior in the Leon is a major downer

The lack of poke let me down enough to hand it back and yearn for an FR instead :P

Seriously though, you'd want to be driving fairly hard to get the benefit out of an M3 as opposed to the Fabia - and a 10 year old car will naturally be less able to reliably take that.

I could be wrong but wouldn't a 3.2 N/A be less likely to give trouble than a 1.4 Turbo with a supercharger?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

LOL
    What did you get it to?
    I test drove a leon tsi once while my own car was being serviced..
    Managed to hit 38L/100 km :eek:

And was pretty dead to be honest,
    That put me off..

My worst (most fuel) instant readout my corsa opc could give me was 37.5l/100 km. It was set not to give a higher instant reading....i'd say most cars are like that
    I think its about 7.5mpg

Yup.
    1.4tsi > 122 bhp of deadness

I Thought the 1.4 was a shambles tbh.:o

You sure you drove a tsi? it's got better pick up than the vRS IMO due to the amount of lag in the vRS at low revs. It's far from dead tbh. More than enough for everyday.

My worst (most fuel) instant readout my corsa opc could give me was 37.5l/100 km. It was set not to give a higher instant reading....i'd say most cars are like that
    I think its about 7.5mpg

Yes but i bet you Corsa was like something the got a Kick up the Ar$s and went..The Leon was like a ..Snail :o

You sure you drove a tsi? it's got better pick up than the vRS IMO due to the amount of lag in the vRS at low revs. It's far from dead tbh. More than enough for everyday.

100% certain..
    my old mondeo would stay with it I reckon.
    vRS would swallow it up

100% certain..
    my old mondeo would stay with it I reckon.
    vRS would swallow it up

Not at low revs it wouldn't:D

Not at low revs it wouldn't:D

I dont know anything about low revs, :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Forgetting about buying second hand (I did consider 911s and M3s but couldn't justify the high tax and the fact that anything in budget had been ragged, I was going to keep €10k cash as contingency for stuff going wrong so was only willing to spend 10-12k), I am just wondering what other new cars would people think would have been a better option than the Fabia? I really can't find anything that comes close to the Fabia RS for performance versus price. The Alfa Mito Cloverleaf is 170bhp and slightly more expensive and only available in 3 door, The Citroen DS3 1.6THP is only 150bhp and again only available as a 3 door (admittedly is a lot better looking). Or a Mini Cooper S which is 2k more expensive and just does nothing for me looks wise and is 3 door only. Have I left any others out? The Seat Ibiza Cupra and Polo GTI are not available in Ireland and both would be more expensive.
    http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/new-cars/?c[co2][]=a&c[co2][]=b&c[co2][]=c&c[maxprice]=26000&c[bhp]=150&c[body]=HA#results

• Advertisement

fletch wrote: »
    Forgetting about buying second hand (I did consider 911s and M3s but couldn't justify the high tax and the fact that anything in budget had been ragged, I was going to keep €10k cash as contingency for stuff going wrong so was only willing to spend 10-12k), I am just wondering what other new cars would people think would have been a better option than the Fabia? I really can't find anything that comes close to the Fabia RS for performance versus price. The Alfa Mito Cloverleaf is 170bhp and slightly more expensive and only available in 3 door, The Citroen DS3 1.6THP is only 150bhp and again only available as a 3 door (admittedly is a lot better looking). Or a Mini Cooper S which is 2k more expensive and just does nothing for me looks wise and is 3 door only. Have I left any others out? The Seat Ibiza Cupra and Polo GTI are not available in Ireland and both would be more expensive.
    http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/new-cars/?c[co2][]=a&c[co2][]=b&c[co2][]=c&c[maxprice]=26000&c[bhp]=150&c[body]=HA#results
    One of these could be bought new for €20k. 1.6T with 192 bhp
    5368612806_b51fc8a8a9_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

One of these could be bought new for €20k. 1.6T with 192 bhp
    5368612806_b51fc8a8a9_z.jpg
    True...I suppose each to their own but I've never been a fan of Opels and especially don't like the in your face boy racers looks of the OPCs/VXRs. The Fabia is nice and understated which I like

fletch wrote: »
    True...I suppose each to their own but I've never been a fan of Opels and especially don't like the in your face boy racers looks of the OPCs/VXRs. The Fabia is nice and understated which I like
    Or in other words....ugly :D:D:D

(I've since sold mine)

By the way, I don't think you could call the green version with the black roof and big wheels understated
    1282356010_size_9.jpeg?1282356012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

Put it in the right gear and there wont be any lag!!!!

180bhp and 1200kg is quick by an standard.You cant drive if you think tsi has beter pick up, it wouldn't pull you out of bed.

I cant think of any 5 door hatch that's quicker and cheaper than the Fabia.

Golf GTI is over 30k and its only a hair quicker with 6.7 to 60, as opposed to the Fabia's 6.9.

Golf hits the scales at almost 1400kg which is the main reason.

Put it in the right gear and there wont be any lag!!!!

180bhp and 1200kg is quick by an standard.You cant drive if you think tsi has beter pick up, it wouldn't pull you out of bed.

I was talking about the diesel Octavia vRS, not the Fabia.

I was talking about the diesel Octavia vRS, not the Fabia.

Oh sorry I didn't spot that I thought that was a strange comment alright as the Fabia has a supercharger to combat that problem, your right about the diesel Octavia, I drove a mapped one and even that wasn't too fast.

Oh sorry I didn't spot that I thought that was a strange comment alright as the Fabia has a supercharger to combat that problem, your right about the diesel Octavia, I drove a mapped one and even that wasn't too fast.

First is too short to be of any real use other than getting the car moving, second can result in wheelspin if you're not careful but other than that it's a decent enough mover. Mine was pretty quick when it was mapped for a 2 litre diesel imo.

Advertisement