Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching in Japan

• 10-07-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all!

I've been learning Japanese for about 3 months and will be continuing in September. My hope is to go to Japan and teach English, and so I've been researching online for information about what to do and what it's like.

What I've found is a lot of negative feedback about people's experience, whole websites dedicated to highlighting the negative aspects of eikaiwa and a lot of pissed off people. Has anyone here ever gone for a period to teach English in Japan? How was your experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Think it depends on where you work. I've heard good things about the JET programme, but bad things about Berlitz, for example. Also, you could be sent off to some small town which isn't everybody's cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Nagikami

Here you should check out this website: http://outpostnine.com/gaijin_smash/ It's the blog of the experiences of a JET-program teacher in Japan so you might find it of interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I've met a lot of eikaiwa teachers and honestly for the most i've heard bad experiences. usually people get fed up after a year of doing it.
    I've heard many good experience stories too. .

my advice to you if you are doing it would be:
    -study as much japanese as you can. it will help you in so many ways, but dont forget its hard and takes time, so don't freak out about it. just enjoy practising it when you can.
    -find out EXACTLY what you're job role is, and what you will be doing day to day every day. you need to be very specific on details. only after this decide if its for you or not.
    -find out if you will be working with many other foreigners.. you'll have a harder time the less foreigners you are around in my opinion.
    -get a placement in a big city, or near enough to one (within 1 hour or less). Dont accept a placement in the middle of nowhere. you'll be bored sh*tless if you do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

I think a lot depends on why you want to come to Japan. I lived in Tokyo for a few months teaching English conversation at a university there and now live in the middle of nowhere working at different senior high schools. Both very different experiences with different pros and cons.

There is a lot of bad information online. I think you will find that a lot of the people who regularly use boards like ITIL and bigdaikon would be equally unhappy in their home countries never mind here in Japan.

If you have specific questions I'll do my best to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Agree with Tristram. It is what you make it - people more easily post bad stuff than good on the internets.

I taught English for a short period in Tokyo a few years ago and it is very tough so you need to be very genki and ready for long days / night / the the odd brain implosion.

Ganbatte - You can do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I am teaching English with the JET Programme in Niigata, and its going great! I am just starting my second year. Further to that, I know loads of ALTs and people who work at eikawas and all but a very few love it.

I agree with what has been said already. You get out what you put in. Think about what you expect it to be like. Think about whether you are interested in the country, don't mind being lost in communication, and are up for an adventure.

If you do JET you won't go to Tokyo, probably you'll head to the countryside. But in my and many other people's opinion you're better off being outside the big cities, you can see the "real" Japan. I have met eikawa people living in Tokyo before and they don't really connect with Japan, don't speak Japanese or leave Tokyo... it seems as if they expect Tokyo to entertain them. Whereas people outside are doing all sorts of different things, seeing so many places and getting involved in their communities in so many different ways.

You can have a really awesome time in Japan, its an amazing place with so much to do and see, and the people are interesting and kind.

If you want websites to check, I would avoid (as someone said already) big daikon or I think I'm Lost as they seem to be full of people who for whatever reason aren't enjoying Japan, and instead of leaving, bitch about it online.

Check out the official JET website, the Irish embassy webpage, and there are also lots of awesome videos on youtube, of sports days, club activities etc etc as well as lots about how to apply and how to prepare.

If you're interested, I'd definitely consider it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭thechanger

So I've read the eligibility page for JET on the Irish Japanese embassy site. Does anyone know if you have to currently reside in Ireland?

Yes I am aware I would have to attend an interview, and submit my passport if successful, but I'm only over the water. I apply in Dublin.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The whole definition of "residency" is rather vague. I think as long as you have an address in Ireland (your parents' would do) and you can travel on short notice (possible from the UK) that you should be fine. I doubt they'll go asking for bank statements and tax returns to prove that you live here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

As far as I remember, you can apply from outside the country, but you have to travel for the interview in February.

Advertisement