Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Simons Graceland

Options
  • 10-07-2011 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

Man, Graceland is one hell of an album. I only really got to know it a couple of weeks ago and it kicks ass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Same as myself. I had heard alot about the album but never had a chance to listen to it until a few weeks ago and loved it!
    I've not been able to get the chorus to "The Boy In The Bubble" out of my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

it is some tune and the coolest use of an accordion possibly ever

Also I love the line in the title track that goes 'The mississippi delta is shining like a national guitar'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

Same as myself. I had heard alot about the album but never had a chance to listen to it until a few weeks ago and loved it!

Is that the "having this discussion in a taxi" one?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

wrote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Gibzilla

Is that the "having this discussion in a taxi" one?

No, that line is from "Gumboots".

Excellent album BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Has anyone seen the "Classic Albums" on "Graceland"?
    It's one of the better episodes, they interview alot of the musicians who played on the album as well as Simon himself.

@Sheesh, that's a great line and I'd second your opinion on the accordian. I love the rhythm it comes in with, it kinda sounds awkward and off-time but works magnificently.

@thenakedanddead, as BOSTIK said that's in "Gumboots", the tune I'm talking about is the first on the album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Graceland is an amazing song and a great album. The boy in the bubble is one of my all time favourite songs, an absolute masterpiece, up there with his absolute best like me and julio, and late in the evening.
    I think i'll stick anthology on when i get home, haven't listened to it in a while:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

It's one of the better episodes, they interview alot of the musicians who played on the album as well as Simon himself.

@Sheesh, that's a great line and I'd second your opinion on the accordian. I love the rhythm it comes in with, it kinda sounds awkward and off-time but works magnificently.

@thenakedanddead, as BOSTIK said that's in "Gumboots", the tune I'm talking about is the first on the album.

Ah yes. I know what song it is now. Both fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Great album. Saw the Graceland concert in the RDS when Simon toured. Some of the great South African names of music were part of the tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Deregos

Yep seen that & it was excellent. .rekindled my interest in the album again, cause to be honest . . I was sick of hearing it being played to death when it was first released. . .Back in what seems like a hundred years ago from now. .

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rosietobes

Graceland is an amazing album, I'd recommend listening to "The Rhythm Of The Saints" next.. Is a very mellow album, the music in it is really something. There's rumours that Paul will be doing a worldwide Graceland tour this year with the original members, to comemorate the 25th anniversary of the album. That would be a must see, I've seen him 4 times and he has never once disappointed me. The best live performer I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Has aged very well, plus no Graceland, no Vampire Weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rosietobes

You can't really compare PS to Vampire Weekend.. He's in a different genre and 100 times as good!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Bakithi Kumalos bass playing is epic, as is evident by this cover track!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"The boy in the bubble and the baby with the baboon heart."

Say ten times fast. :) Savage album altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

It was a great episode, I loved the explanation of the bass solo in you can call me al, I always was amazed at how fast and fluid it was, until classic albums showed me it is just a riff , and then they just synth the riff backwards to complete the solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The master himself!
    This Bassline is soooo delicious!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Check out Songs from the Capeman.
    Different type of music but the quality is there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb8R5MROzX0&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

rosietobes wrote: »
    You can't really compare PS to Vampire Weekend.. He's in a different genre and 100 times as good!

I meant they're totally influenced by Graceland era Simon, nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Man, Graceland is one hell of an album. I only really got to know it a couple of weeks ago and it kicks ass.

Thanks for reminding me of a great album OP

I listened it just now for the first time in years, It was one of my favourites when it came out first in '86

And to this day every time I hear 'You can call me Al' all I can image is Chevy Chase singing it, and never Paul Simon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

I’ve been a PS fan since I first saw this black-clad guy sing Sounds of Silence on one of those early 1960’s UK pop shows, just before the early evening news. I was about eight years old and couldn’t believe that one man and one guitar could produce such magic. After all, it took four Beatles to send quivers through me. Simon wrote the words, composed the melody, sang the words and played the guitar in a way that I didn’t know was possible. And he was little more than a boy! (Insert gratuitous insult about X-Factor.)
    His popularity may have fluctuated over the years but the quality has not. Graceland is special for many reasons but it is just one of a host of tremendous albums from Paul Simon. Reputedly, he is not the warmest or easiest person to work with, demanding control over each project. But it’s this control that has guaranteed the quality.
    Also, let’s not forget Simon’s skill at selecting and promoting wonderful accompanying musicians, not only those on Graceland but also the likes of Stefan Grossman, Stephane Grappelli, Richard Tee, etc., etc. on earlier albums.
    So have a listen to other PS albums and check these and other musicians credited on the sleeves. You won’t be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Apparently Paul Simon will be doing a Graceland tour in the Summer. Hes tipped to go to London and Ladysmith Black Mambazo are supposed to appear on stage with him. Maybe Ireland as well?:confused::)

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/171352/9

I adore his song Duncan though. Its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭dasdog

Let us rally behind our authentic and consistent leader

Great concert

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

An absolute gem of an album. One that really does live up to the reputations it's garnered over the years. Not a single bad track on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Great to see all the love for Mr Simon,one of the greats no doubt about it

He might be difficult to work with(im sure he is)but hes a decent chap,have you folks seen this? from last year,he invites a special guest to sing "Duncan" with him,how could anyone not love him after this???

http://youtu.be/AXBlY5CImUU

• Registered Users Posts: 20 zooropa56

Just discovered this album myself a couple of weeks ago, its about as perfect as an album could ever get.

I see that a hyde park date has been announced for July, any rumours of an irish date, I would love to see/hear it live with the original artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

It was certainly kick ass on its original release...very popular....very different and ground breaking at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Paul Simon playing Graceland live on 12th July 2012 in the 02 Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

rednik wrote: »
    Paul Simon playing Graceland live on 12th July 2012 in the 02 Dublin.

Class, tickets are on sale next Thursday at 9am.

Advertisement