Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Car Advice - Please!

Options
  • 10-07-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Been doing some surfing for a diesel car for a friend - something in the year range 2000 -2005 and on a tight budget.

I have tried to narrow the search down to the following four types but need some advice on the diesel engines:

Peugeot 307 HDI 1.4
    Peugeot 307 HDI 1.6

Ford Focus 1.6
    Ford Focus 1.8

Q1 - Which ENGINE in of each of the 2 groups should I choose, from a reliability and fuel consumption perspective?

Q2 - Which car is the better? The Focus may not be 2005 or newer as the price goes p (nicer dash).

Q3 - Is their a better option?

Q4 - Would you be afraid of one of the above with 100k miles?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

golfbgud wrote: »
    Hi All,

Been doing some surfing for a diesel car for a friend - something in the year range 2000 -2005 and on a tight budget.

I have tried to narrow the search down to the following four types but need some advice on the diesel engines:

Peugeot 307 HDI 1.4
    Peugeot 307 HDI 1.6

Ford Focus 1.6
    Ford Focus 1.8

Q1 - Which ENGINE in of each of the 2 groups should I choose, from a reliability and fuel consumption perspective?

Q2 - Which car is the better? The Focus may not be 2005 or newer as the price goes p (nicer dash).

Q3 - Is their a better option?

Q4 - Would you be afraid of one of the above with 100k miles?

Thanks.
    Heres some advice.1.9 TDI VW Golf.Stay away from that French crap;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »

ya plus parts for french cars cost an arm and a leg!! ha ya u cant go wrong with a VW +1 for that::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Suzie Sue

Are VAG not just as shyte ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Suzie Sue wrote: »

Yup, although the 1.9 TDI is the most reliable diesel they have.

Ha ha.You are funny.For sure.

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    Yup, although the 1.9 TDI is the most reliable diesel they have.
    And the Volkswagen- hating continues.It doesnt annoy me anymore. I just smile at the ignorance now. I LOVE my car.Its a 1.9TDI. Never had a problem with it.Dont think I ever will.:)

And the Volkswagen- hating continues.It doesnt annoy me anymore. I just smile at the ignorance now. I LOVE my car.Its a 1.9TDI. Never had a problem with it.Dont think I ever will.:)

Hang onto it as long as you can then, I've had nothing but bother from VAG. Expensive badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I drive a diesel Skoda. It's nothing but problems. I'm worried about when the warranty runs out on it.

Hang onto it as long as you can then, I've had nothing but bother from VAG. Expensive badge.
    I know the 05 Passats were terrible.I know of someone who had it into the garage 3 times last year.Twas TSI though.Anyway, mine is going like the clappers so no complaints from me.:D

EPM wrote: »
    I drive a diesel Skoda. It's nothing but problems. I'm worried about when the warranty runs out on it.
    Vw give the scraps to skoda.Fact.:pIm joking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anyway back on topic.

OP, the 1.4 Hdi in the 307 only has 75bhp and are notoriouse for going through injector seals. The 1.6 Hdi is a solid engine but has it's own problems with blown turbos.

The 1.6 TDCi in the Focus was only available in the newer model and is the same unit as in the 307 so the same issues apply. The 1.8 TDDi/TDCi is an old Ford made unit and is probably the most reliable of the bunch. Thing is that the power delivery is very narrow on it which can make it tedious to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

And a 1.9tdi octavia could possibly be bought cheaper again

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭golfbgud

bazz26 wrote: »
    Anyway back on topic.

OP, the 1.4 Hdi in the 307 only has 75bhp and are notoriouse for going through injector seals. The 1.6 Hdi is a solid engine but has it's own problems with blown turbos.

The 1.6 TDCi in the Focus was only available in the newer model and is the same unit as in the 307 so the same issues apply. The 1.8 TDDi/TDCi is an old Ford made unit and is probably the most reliable of the bunch. Thing is that the power delivery is very narrow on it which can make it tedious to drive.

Thanks BAZZ - that was another question I had i.e. are the engines shared?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Peugeot engines are in alot of the Ford and Volvo Range.

That 1.9TDI engine is pretty bullet proof, but it is rough as f&ck compared to the PSA DW10 engine in the Mondeo/Focus.

Peugeot do great Diesels.

Besides that the VAGs have weak points beyond the Engine, i.e. Window Actuators, bushes constantly failing, MAF Sensors, Hydraulic steering rack failure.

Saying they are all rubbish is a bit of a generalisation IMO.

I'd choose a Mondeo (with a Peugeot Engine) over a Passat any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

ROFL! 1.9TDI golf, what a heap of scrap.

I know the 05 Passats were terrible.I know of someone who had it into the garage 3 times last year.Twas TSI though.Anyway, mine is going like the clappers so no complaints from me.:D

What year/engine is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭golfbgud

My mechanic advisor tells me to stay clear of the PUG 1.4 Diesel and look closer at the 1.6 which is shared with Ford?

Advertisement