Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to unsubscribe from xbox live gold?

Options
  • 10-07-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently used the xboxlive for one month for a euro deal and got an email today saying they will auto renew my subscription at the full monthly rate unless I cancel it.

I can't find any way of doing it from my xbox live account, seems I might have to phone microsoft to complete my cancellation -

I have tried a number of different phone numbers i have found by searching online, but none of them work for me - does anyone have any idea of the correct number to ring because I don't want to get stung for an ongoing monthly service I don't use?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭TaytoCrisps

You'll need to call the number below id imagine to canel it . it's their irish helpline . I had to ring them last weel after my yearly gold membership was setup for auto renwel which they charge 60euro's for which is more than it is in the shops :mad: . good luck dealing with them .

+353 12420758

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

You'll need to call the number below id imagine to canel it . it's their irish helpline . I had to ring them last weel after my yearly gold membership was setup for auto renwel which they charge 60euro's for which is more than it is in the shops :mad: . good luck dealing with them .

+353 12420758
    Call either 01 2420758 or 1 800 509186, 9AM until 10PM Monday - Friday

http://support.xbox.com/en-ie/pages/call-us.aspx

You used to be able to cancel it on the Xbox website, but nowadays you have to call Xbox Support.

In response to the above poster, I assume you got 12 months on offer, cheaper than in shops? Auto-renewal is standard. You only get the offer once. I'd love to keep paying €1 a month, but that's not gonna happen :D It also states auto-renewal before you buy it, and you agreed to this. Except, it's extremely easy to cancel it.

Not sure if TaytoCrisps is insinuating that he had a bad experience with them, but would you mind elaborating, if you did? There are a number of support workers on Boards, and last time I called support, they asked if they could send me an evaluation survey (never did get the email, though). If you were unhappy with their service, say so, and explain what happened. Nothing will change unless you provide feedback :)

I'm in no way affiliated with anyone at Xbox Support, I just find it baffling that the majority of people who mention them on here complain, mainly just because they have to pick up a phone. I've had to call Support two or three times, and it's a much nicer experience than calling Play.com! Everyone I've dealt with was Irish, very helpful and chatty, the call is free and takes less than 15 minutes. No hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

I got my live subscription through xbox before and the amount of hassle
    to cancel is extraoridanary, it is ridiculous that you can't cancel through your xbox, you have to ring a premium number to cancel is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

boiledeggs wrote: »
    to cancel is extraoridanary, it is ridiculous that you can't cancel through your xbox, you have to ring a premium number to cancel is terrible.

Actually its freephone from a landline and we're open 9 -10 Mon - Friday, 9 -8 saturday and 9 - 5 sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

boiledeggs wrote: »

It's a 10/15 minute FREE phone call. I'm sorry you had to go through the trauma of having to actually speak to somebody on the phone to get Xbox LIVE cheap :p
    Vicxas wrote: »
    Actually its freephone from a landline and we're open 9 -10 Mon - Friday, 9 -8 saturday and 9 - 5 sunday.
    I always find it strange when the workers post on here. Could you get fired for outing yourself as an employee?

• Advertisement

Nope, I can get banned from Xbox live if i do tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

thanks guys, phoned today, got it sorte.

Took about ten minutes alrightl. I have to say though, i would be in the 'it should be available as an online option' camp too though.

I mean its Microsoft FFS! how hard is it to create a clickable button?

I did mention it to the guy on the phone, he said the reason for having to phone is because Microsoft deem it more secure for the customer!!

I asked him why in that case was I allowed sign up online in the first place if customer security is the issue?

His answer was that MS will be allowing cancellations through your online account from the end of this month, yay!! common sense finally prevails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

iPhone. wrote: »
    thanks guys, phoned today, got it sorte.

Took about ten minutes alrightl. I have to say though, i would be in the 'it should be available as an online option' camp too though.

I mean its Microsoft FFS! how hard is it to create a clickable button?

I did mention it to the guy on the phone, he said the reason for having to phone is because Microsoft deem it more secure for the customer!!

I asked him why in that case was I allowed sign up online in the first place if customer security is the issue?

His answer was that MS will be allowing cancellations through your online account from the end of this month, yay!! common sense finally prevails.
    If security was really what they were thinking about they'd allow you to remove your credit card details

If security was really what they were thinking about they'd allow you to remove your credit card details

You can if there isnt any active subscriptions on account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The best part is that if you don't cancel it and they can't charge your account they just outright ban you.

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    You can if there isnt any active subscriptions on account.
    So the minimum is a month, and thats only if you cancel auto renew. Ah microsoft, thinking of the customers :rolleyes:

We try :D

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The best part is that if you don't cancel it and they can't charge your account they just outright ban you.

That happened me last year. I had an expired CC on my account and it was charged 60E for yearly gold. I got a few months free gold before I got banned. :pac:
    Bought a code online after that to renew properly, ended up having to buy another year on the Xbox itself. Ridiculous if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

So the minimum is a month, and thats only if you cancel auto renew. Ah microsoft, thinking of the customers :rolleyes:

Actually if you have a 3 or 12 month subscription and call in within 30 days of the renewal date you can get it cancelled right away and get a refund.

But glad to be of service :D

As to the reason why people have to call in: You would be surprised how many people try to call in and get account details from other people, or how many people we get on the phone saying their account has been stolen and charges have been made on the credit card.
    It really is for the security of the users.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Because you're refusing to pay for a service that you've set up a subscription for? It's not like they can provide it forever for free, right? It's the same with any service, really. If you don't continue your payments, the service is removed until you pay up or the matter can be settled a different way. I mean, really, it's just common sense.

Asry wrote: »
    Because you're refusing to pay for a service that you've set up a subscription for? It's not like they can provide it forever for free, right? It's the same with any service, really. If you don't continue your payments, the service is removed until you pay up or the matter can be settled a different way. I mean, really, it's just common sense.
    or ya know they could just put you onto silver, ya know the free thing they have.

or ya know they could just put you onto silver, ya know the free thing they have.

I guess you don't really know how subscription services work. The service will still be provided for a certain amount of time even if you haven't paid, and they'll send you notifications every time the payment declines. And then if the payment still hasn't happened, then the service is removed until it is. You have to think of it in terms of simple business practice. It's the same with our hot water - it was turned off for a while there a few months ago because we couldn't pay it, and of course they wouldn't have just decided to give it to us for free after a while, you know? TV services and phone services do that too - they'll just pull the service away after a grace period.

Asry wrote: »
    I guess you don't really know how subscription services work. The service will still be provided for a certain amount of time even if you haven't paid, and they'll send you notifications every time the payment declines. And then if the payment still hasn't happened, then the service is removed until it is. You have to think of it in terms of simple business practice. It's the same with our hot water - it was turned off for a while there a few months ago because we couldn't pay it, and of course they wouldn't have just decided to give it to us for free after a while, you know? TV services and phone services do that too - they'll just pull the service away after a grace period.
    Eh no Microsoft cut you off the day they tell you they are subscribed till. As for your bills comparrison you are given a grace period 3 months usually before they cut you off.

Phones don't have an option that peoiple who buy a phone get limited access, you still have to pay line rental, if I buy an xbox I can connect it to silver without ever having to be gold.

So if using retrogamers example the credit card expires and can't be charged, why ban you, I mean if people who haven't paid to use gold have access to silver why would ex gold members not instead of just banning the account.

So back to your examples of stuff you get billed for, show me the limited free alternatives to them like the way everyone can have silver?

Eh no Microsoft cut you off the day they tell you they are subscribed till. As for your bills comparrison you are given a grace period 3 months usually before they cut you off.

Phones don't have an option that peoiple who buy a phone get limited access, you still have to pay line rental, if I buy an xbox I can connect it to silver without ever having to be gold.

So if using retrogamers example the credit card expires and can't be charged, why ban you, I mean if people who haven't paid to use gold have access to silver why would ex gold members not instead of just banning the account.

So back to your examples of stuff you get billed for, show me the limited free alternatives to them like the way everyone can have silver?

I've read and reread your post but would it be OK if I could ask you to rephrase some of it, because I really can't quite understand what you mean.

The main bit is -
    Eh no Microsoft cut you off the day they tell you they are subscribed till.

In response to the rest of it, the fact that there's a limited, free version doesn't really have relevance to the fact that you've paid and signed up and are reneging on your obligations. If the credit card expires, it's up to you to keep your details current, and it will still be seen as ducking out of a subscription payment that you've agreed to.

If you could just rephrase this part as well -
    I mean if people who haven't paid to use gold have access to silver why would ex gold members not instead of just banning the account.

I mean, as with every subscription service, you've agreed to terms of use and terms and conditions and if you don't abide by the conditions you've agreed to, it's laid out to you what will happen beforehand. So if you don't agree to the conditions in the first place, then why would you set it up in the first place, you know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

this is just a bit of a random guess but ...go to the xbox live website...login and see if you can cancel it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Raze: Actually they don't cut you off right away.
    There is indeed a grace period between first payment and suspension of the account, to allow customers to edit their payment options or to fix whatever the problem is.

You don't actually get 'banned' though if the payment keeps declining :)
    Your account gets suspended until you fix the payment issue. You will still be perfectly able to use it offline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

My account has been auto renewed today for a month on an expired card, is there anyway to stop them charging my account? Wouldn't of minded only for previously a pop up on my xbox dashboard asked would I like to auto renew and I clicked no.

donegal11 wrote: »
    My account has been auto renewed today for a month on an expired card, is there anyway to stop them charging my account? Wouldn't of minded only for previously a pop up on my xbox dashboard asked would I like to auto renew and I clicked no.

Has it charged the old card? And the auto renew function cannot be turned off via console or online in ireland.

Advertisement