Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streetfighter.ie Podcast

Options
  • 11-07-2011 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to start a SF.ie podcast that we can host on the site, so looking for some feedback on what we'd like to listen to and how to go about it, so this is what this thread is about.

Content: This would be the main priority. Obviously we don't want to talking random ****e off the cuff so having a loose-ish agenda dictated by folks here is a must. Should definitely have a local slant as well.

Speakers/hosts: My thinking is that a rotation of posters here and Irish players talking should feature. I think three/four per session would be ideal, any more then that and it becomes noisy & hard to follow. Possibly one constant or regular host as often as can be accommodated.
    So who'd be willing to devote a few hours as often as we do it? (Once a month would seem like a good start off, if popular, every 2 weeks?)

Equipment: For the initial one, I'm quite happy to drive, provide lifts and being a mac with all that's needed to wherever we're recording it. I don't however have an external mic so if anyone has one let yourself be known.

Venue: Where and when? Little bit trickier here. After or around casuals would seem like the obvious choice. But I don't think I'd last 5 minutes listening to any sort of recording with buttons being pressed incessantly as a soundtrack, so I'd reckon recording in the XGC is out. Would background noise from a pub/cafe be annoying? Does a mic cancel this out?
    If someone lives near town would they be willing to record it there?

I'd welcome advice & feedback on all of the above, and if anyone has experience of doing a podcast and tips would be great. (Hi Brian :))

Doesn't need to be stellar or super-slick for the initial one, getting a first one done would be great.
    I think the sooner the better we at least make a start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

I'm in for this. Also my gaff can be used to record it's near enough to town, if people want. Will probably have some gear to record with too.

Once I'm home that is!

Format wise banter about our events and results along with analysis. Ditto for streams that may have been on that people watched. Maybe on a by game basis?

Potentially a Q&A section or something similar, either serious or a bit of fun.

Maybe a fighting game of the week/month/etc, say where the presenters of that show try out a lesser played game and talk about it. Say like breakers for example. That could be quite funny I think.

With regards presenters/hosts, I think Do a few tests with a few folks and see who is comfortable. Not everyone lends themselves to this kind of thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Sounds like a good idea to get something going. I think the Q&A thing sounds like a bit of a laugh. Some random light-hearted stuff if we're going to analyse matches and such beforehand seriously, to end on a fun note or something.

I'd be willing to give it a try at presenting/hosting it if you want, sure I probably won't be great at it, but I'd definitely give it a shot. :]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

I'm up for this. I am a champion talker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Speed Boat wrote: »
    Maybe a fighting game of the week/month/etc, say where the presenters of that show try out a lesser played game and talk about it. Say like breakers for example. That could be quite funny I think.

I really like this idea. There's so many games out there that no ones played that this would be a pretty interesting thing to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Awesome ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Sounds awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

I thought we should have done this months ago, Id totally support this :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

A-trak, In order to produce a podcast of any quality, you're going to need a mixing desk with multiple mikes. People all shouting in a room won't work.

Thankfully, I already own a mixing desk and 2 mikes, and I wanted to get another one or two anywho.

When speedboat gets back though it might be an idea to use his not mine if he's willing, as I have mine set up for commentary and quite frankly I'm not very good at it and changing it would suck :)

Garageband is pretty good for editing and the like though.

Feel free to nick any of my musak for an intro if you need.

Also if you want someone to waffle I must have done 30 podcasts and considerable radio time at this point, although I agree a rotation might be better until a format/ good presenters are settled on.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Blinn

Feel free to nick any of my musak for an intro if you need.

I'll happily make some music if this goes down.

Blinn wrote: »
    I'll happily make some music if this goes down.

Cool, something original would be better, I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Anyone who heard mine and rachel's fabulous commentary at arcade con, will SURELY be in agreement that we should be the presenters - I mean, our depth of knowledge of fighting games is clearly outstanding!

:pac:

seriously though, I think a podcast is a fantastic idea. I'd listen to something like that even though i'm not massively into fighting games. It'd be a fun and interesting thing to listen to for members of the community, international players and more casual or new players :)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I've done a few years of student radio, I'd love to get in on this! Mainly did chatty stuff about games so I'm used to the loose agenda style show you're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

This seems like a really good idea, raise topics of certain games and talk in depth about them, I do have a pair of Turtle beach X11, very good studio sound quality headset

Loads of experience doing streamed radio chats and reviews of movies through commentary, A Q/A is a great idea to get debates going

If yea need an intro give us a shout, I'd be more then happy to create one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'm happy to give hosting this a go as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Great idea, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lemme do one.

For the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Konata wrote: »
    Anyone who heard mine and rachel's fabulous commentary at arcade con, will SURELY be in agreement that we should be the presenters - I mean, our depth of knowledge of fighting games is clearly outstanding!

I thought "Hit him with the thing!" was particularly insightful
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Lemme do one.

For the laugh.

Mods, softban request!

Lemme do one.

For the laugh.

I nominate Kiki for Sh**s and Giggles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Nutrient wrote: »
    I nominate Kiki for Sh**s and Giggles

no thanks.
    Ban request for both

Placebo wrote: »
    no thanks.
    Ban request for both

Ban request for both?

What for?

If this is a joke I don't get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nutrient wrote: »
    Ban request for both?

What for?

If this is a joke I don't get it
    Farz think I are idort.

But joke are on Farz.

Because he are idort.

Farz think I are idort.

But joke are on Farz.

Because he are idort.

Sure..

Anyway this podcast idea sounds tight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Farz think I are idort.

But joke are on Farz.

Because he are idort.

thats how the podcast will sound like if you nominate KIKI
    6a00e5505fc4968834010536e09336970b-800wi

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

I'd tune in anyway :) sounds like a good idea to get the visits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

I'd do it. 3 is usually the magic number with the best podcasts I listen to. 2 hosts + a guest or 2. 4 is ok too as long as everyone understands that you can't talk over each other.

I'd host too if you need it.

Hosting would be awesome, i agree with Doyler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Cheers all for the advice and offers, I've a fair idea of what will work now.

For the initial one, I'm gonna go with some tried and tested commentators in the intrests of getting it done. (Which precludes me as well I'm afraid, I'm just going to be a facilator to get the podcasts up & running.)

Once we have the first off the ground and establihed what & who works well, we'll open up the floor as such for new guests and hosts as well as topics and ideas for discussion, which I'll post a thread for feedback and discussion topics once we've got the first one boxed off.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Discussing our Evo adventure is an easy topic for August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

The first test episode of the podcast has been posted for your listening pleasure.
    http://streetfighter.ie/index.php/2011/08/02/doomcast-1-the-evo-all-nighter-episode/

This was recorded at the EVO All Nighter and is thus a little rough around the edges, but it's great to hear something being being produced!

And now for my opinion on the cast! :pac:

I'll cut it some slack for being the first recording and the sleep deprived, less than pristine recording environment that was available, however I think the following things could do with attention in future:

Transitions between the segments. A short little musical que between the interviews would be nice instead of a "And we'll leave it there. And we're back"

Obviously the sound quality is less than spectacular. I assume this won't be much of an issue in future if the casts are done in a secluded room, but maybe setting up the recording equipment further away from the games would be an idea in the future.
    I know that's a little awkward with the way we had the XGC, but it's still worth mentioning.
    I've also come across various tutorials on how to reduce background noise over the years, so a quick Google search may have some handy tips on cutting that down.

More structure to the discussions.
    It was generally a little waffley and most of the discussions went off on tangents. Onion was good at reining that in, so ggs there. Keeping that kind of stuff down will come with practice, so I'm not too worried by that, but it's still something to keep in mind.

So in conclusion, it was a bit of a rocky start, but I'm definitely looking forward to more of them :)

• Advertisement

I'm not really intending to do them regularly myself. I really just wanted to test if my set up would do to record a podcast, which clearly it can. What I really want is for other people to start producing them now the duck is broken :)

As for those criticisms Sai, they're all fair enough and I agree with them all. Transitioning wouldn't be a problem but I just really wanted to get it out quick. I learned a little bit about audacity from doing this, it's super simple to use (far easier than garageband even).

I was sitting in the corner as far away from the games as possible :D the sound would be fine in a quiet room, check out the little segment at the start for an example.

Advertisement