Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to work in Athlone [+help]

Options
  • 11-07-2011 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi everyone,

I will be moving to Athlone next month due to new job for Ericsson.

I would like to hear from you where are the good areas to rent a house for someone that will work at Ericsson (will need to go by bus). I look for a nice and safe area, as I will be moving with wife and 2 years old son.

In addition, if you could give me information about Nursery in Athlone, I would really appreciate that.

Any other tip will also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

There are 3 housing estates within a 5 minute walk to Ericsson that have a number of Ericsson people renting/owning.

- Woodville
    - The Orchard
    - Dromaconn

I dont think the local bus service passes by any of those though.

The nearest nursery I can think of would be Grovelands in Garrycastle ... which is a 5 minute walk from Ericsson but in the opposite direction to the estates mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

More like a 25-30 minute walk from Ericsson to Grovelands, plus wouldn't be ideal with a two year old trying to cross Garrycastle Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 javarlz

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Is this nursery public or private?

I don't know, but live really close to Ericsson might not be necessary, as long as from where I live I can easily get a bus and get to there within 30 minutes (+-) would be fine.

I am basically looking for a nice and safe area, with good facilities to my family... and not too far from Ericsson :)

If you have any other suggestion, would be nice!

Anyway I will check out these housing states once I'm there.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

There is a bus service to and from Ericsson in the morning and evening. It costs €1 each way, I think leaves from outside Ard Ri apartments. So anywhere close to the town would be your best bet, even Ard Ri apartment complex might be sufficient for you needs. Although I'm not sure where the nearest creche is in rlation to Ard Ri.

whyulittle wrote: »
    More like a 25-30 minute walk from Ericsson to Grovelands, plus wouldn't be ideal with a two year old trying to cross Garrycastle Bridge.

Theres a place in Garrycastle, thought it was another branch of Grovelands.

• Advertisement

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Theres a place in Garrycastle, thought it was another branch of Grovelands.

It is. It's a fair distance from Ericsson though

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

hope I'm not hijacking the OP's thread but I'm in a similar position to the OP(starting a job in Athlone soon).
    Are there any areas in particular in Athlone that I should avoid.
    I have been looking at places in Woodville and Coosan/Churchwood on Daft.

Is there any where else I'm missing - looking for a relatively quiet area and space to park a car?

Avoid Willow Park!

Woodville is a really nice estate, big houses/gardens and it's quiet although there are a lot of kids about! It is quite far out from town and local shops a a good bit away but ok if you have a car. Good spot if you work in Blyry/ Department of Education/ Ericsson and a few others as you can walk!

Coosan is nice too and closer to town. Wasn't too impressed with 'The Glen' estate but others are nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sintaxerror

Hi Javarlz,

I arrived in Athlone on April and I'm living in the Cityquarter since then.

Cityquarter is close to Athlone Towncentre, five minutes walking from Golden Island (where the bus departs every morning and comes back every evening); it seems to be a very safe area and is in the center of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

The Cityquarter apartments are nice, but expensive compared to other places. Don't imagine they would be a good match for someone with a wife and young child either, they are awkward to get in and out of, many corridors and lifts/stairs. OP, did you look at Belhavel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 newtoathlone

Hi all,

I will be moving to Athlone shortly and am looking for 2 people to share a 4 bed house with. i'm 30 so would prob be looking for people in age group 26-35 and would prefer working people. anybody interested please post a reply, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Hi all,

I will be moving to Athlone shortly and am looking for 2 people to share a 4 bed house with. i'm 30 so would prob be looking for people in age group 26-35 and would prefer working people. anybody interested please post a reply, thanks

Get a copy of the Westmeath Independent - there should be some ads in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭El Gato

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Same situation as the OP, moving to Athlone next month, anyone with any further advice please?:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Hi all,

Check out daft.ie or rent.ie. Try to stay away from areas nearest AIT if possible.

Itzy wrote: »
    Check out daft.ie or rent.ie. Try to stay away from areas nearest AIT if possible.

Thanks for that.

Have been on both sites and there are a few places alright.

If there is anyone in the same boat as me feel free to contact me

Any info on Ard Na Glug?

Lived there a few years ago, nice place and very nice houses.

Thanks for the reply, is it relatively close to Ericsson?

Yeah its quite near. Around 10 minute walk, if even that. (Depending on how fast/slow you walk)

• Advertisement
Advertisement