Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pass Degree Electronic Engineering

• 11-07-2011 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all, I recently completed an Level 8 Honours Degree in Electronic Engineering and I got my result which is a pass degree. I am currently job searching and looking for graduate programs but most openings have the minimum 2.1 requirement and i feel a pass degree will make it harder of finding a job.

Does anyone know anybody that has been in the same position as me and have they found it hard to get a job.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

for the grad programs if i remember right they're usually pretty strict what type of degree grade you need to have to get in.

i'd say alot of people are in your situation. i was anyway.

my best advice would be to look for other jobs not advertised as grad programs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kaddy

Yea I've started to look at jobs not advertising the 2.1 requirements...here and abroad. Lots of work to be done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I was the same, just say you got a 2.1 few companies will ever check, once you have experience you'll be sorted thefyi, people who get firsts in.engineering don't do to well job wise. They learn like a sponge but can not put on to.practice. that's from my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

You should be able to do an honours degree in applied physics and instrumentation in 1 year now if that's something that would interest you, you could go straight into 4th year.

I finished my level 7 in elec eng around 5 years ago, was out working for a couple of years and went back to college. Straight into 3rd year of physics and instrumentation and got my honours degree in 2 years. Friend of mine did the same except he had the level 8 in elec eng and got his level 8 in API in 1 year.

PM me if you want more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kaddy

ted1 wrote: »
    I was the same, just say you got a 2.1 few companies will ever check, once you have experience you'll be sorted thefyi, people who get firsts in.engineering don't do to well job wise. They learn like a sponge but can not put on to.practice. that's from my experience

I'd just be afraid that it would be my luck that they happen to check that day :pac: I think most places understand that the people with firsts are not always the best when working in a company.

But i think i will just go ahead and apply for all sorts of companies.. regardless of the requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

Hard luck on receiving a pass grade. The year I graduated 5 students got the same result. I have very little contact with any of the class now, but with the benefit of 16 years of experience since then I'd say really don't worry too much. I know one guy got working in Ericsson, Dublin and he had a pass grade. He was a really good at programming and had a lot of knowledge of computers beyond the course. A friend recommended him after a few months working there. The thing to do is try to get maybe for a start a computer that can host a good virus scanner and a recent version of windows. Download compilers and start programming. Try to find a project to do. Right now i-phone applications are something people are doing for example. If you can put on your CV something like recently I have been working on.... and explain how your able to take an idea and form something from it then you will impress folks a lot. Remember your an engineer of finicky things (chips programs etc) which are often abstract to some extent and its hard to just get stuck in out get a "start" but its out there. When I graduated many of us took about 6 months to find a job in engineering and many of us look back fondly on our time on the Dole playing football and being rich for a change. That said winter ended this honeymoon period and we were all biting to get going. Try to be aggressive when you get working and get on to machines and into the bowls of what your doing. Dont be shy to work extra hours but dont get shafted just doing stuff that is donkey work if you do. Just walk into the boss and say your going somewhere better and it sharpens their focus on your abilities. Remember your in a business that you cant predict. You'll probably have four to six employers in ten years and you might find the experience you gain in one firm next to useless in the next but it all builds up and I've seen guys who were average become senior managers and guys of the same ability flounder and get stuck in low paid jobs working long hours and not enjoying it. One last thing. In Twenty years time there is a one in ten chance you'll still be an engineer so enjoy it while you can before something better comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

engineers dont do paragraphs, its how we roll

Advertisement