Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about L.C

• 11-07-2011 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hey :D

I recently moved down to Ireland from NI and will be studying at Boyne Community School. Anyone have any experince or knowledge of this school?

I will be studying:
    Advance English
    Advance Maths
    Business
    Economics
    Physics
    Biology
    Applied Maths
    I am aiming for the new cap of 625 points

I am also planning on sitting the SAT and SAT II exams so it will be possible for me to go to study at Ivy League in the US
    I am wondering what EC will be avaliable for me during my 2 years?

I am also wondering is there any possible internships or work experince in the Business/Economics as I aspire to go to a world top 20 university and this will be needed. Also is there any award programs offered in my age group for students in 5th year and 6th year?

Thank you :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

sganyfx wrote: »
    I will be studying:
    Advance English
    Advance Maths
    Business
    Economics
    Physics
    Biology
    Applied Maths
    I am aiming for the new cap of 625 points
    I take it you mean Higher Level when you say "Advance English" and "Advance Maths"? You're going to need to at least six subjects (Including Maths) at Higher Level to be able to get 625. More preferably as you'll need backups.
    I am also planning on sitting the SAT and SAT II exams so it will be possible for me to go to study at Ivy League in the US
    I am wondering what EC will be avaliable for me during my 2 years?
    I've no idea about the American education system so I can't help you there.
    I am also wondering is there any possible internships or work experince in the Business/Economics as I aspire to go to a world top 20 university and this will be needed.
    To tell you the truth, you'd be hard pressed to find anything of the sort unless you knew someone or are exceptional in some significant way. There are out-of-work graduates out there at the moment who are also looking for work experience and internships who you are competing with.
    Also is there any award programs offered in my age group for students in 5th year and 6th year?
    Not really. As far as the education system goes, you can get A1s across the board and the most you'll get is "Keep up the good work".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are a number of prizes for candidates who score full marks in various subjects at JC and LC level.

OP - do you not do a language other than English?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

spurious wrote: »
    There are a number of prizes for candidates who score full marks in various subjects at JC and LC level.

OP - do you not do a language other than English?

As I am classed as an international student I am excluded from doing any language I do not have history doing. I am self teaching myself Korean and most likely going to sit a SAT II in Korean language so I guess that would count :D

What I mean for awards and prizes is such as in the USA they have physics events etc in which people competite, I am wondering if there is anything like that avaliable in ROI in any of my subject?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's the Young Scientists competition held in January each year.

spurious wrote: »
    There's the Young Scientists competition held in January each year.

Looking into it now thank you greatly :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

There is an All-Ireland Debating composition, the Leinster leg of which is run by The Hist (TCD) and the L&H (UCD).

Another question would be do Colleges/Universities look at just your points or the amount of subjects you took?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Another question would be do Colleges/Universities look at just your points or the amount of subjects you took?

Irish colleges don't look at you at all!

It's all done through the CAO and based on points. If you get the points and meet the requirements you get the course (unless it goes to the draw thing when there's too many people with the points and requirements)

Irish colleges don't look at you at all!

It's all done through the CAO and based on points. If you get the points and meet the requirements you get the course (unless it goes to the draw thing when there's too many people with the points and requirements)

Ah thank you :D What about non-Irish Colleges or universities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Ah thank you :D What about non-Irish Colleges or universities?

UK universities look at each individual applicant so it will depend on your Junior Cert results (in your case GCSE), your predicted Leaving Cert grades and then your personal statement.

I wouldn't see somebody with 7 subjects to be at a major disadvantage compared to someone with 9. Though obviously I know little about the ins and outs of each individual university's admissions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Also is there any award programs offered in my age group for students in 5th year and 6th year?

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here.

I know in the states certain prizes and the like are all taken into account when applying for uni, but the competitions mentioned in previous posts in this thread are just for fun; they IN NO WAY contribute towards a college place.

Internships and the like most likely won't be happening for you either, as you really do need to know the owner of some company.

Lastly, you want 625 points. Fair play to you if you get it, and I really hope you do, but it sounds like you're underestimating the leaving cert here. I know a couple of people in England and I've been told that maybe 20-25% of a class would get As across the board in their A- and O-levels. I went to a good school when I did my leaving, paid €12,000 for grinds etc (as did practically my whole year) and out of the roughly 200 people in my year, one person got 600 points ie all A1s. The institute has between 500 and 1000 leaving cert candidates every year, and last year, four students got 600 points from the school. Schools like blackrock and Sutton park boast on average 25% students per annum getting 400+ points, which is very respectable.

Good luck in the leaving and in getting your coveted 625 :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

There's the Science/Maths Olympiad (a separate one in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths). Qualifiers are held in DCU in January each year. See www.dcu.ie/olympiads/.

I took part in the Biology one a few years ago, you'll need a lot of independent study to qualify, and a lot of spare time if you do. The winners compete in the international olympiad, and a lot of training and study is involved for that.
    Fbjm wrote:
    I know in the states certain prizes and the like are all taken into account when applying for uni, but the competitions mentioned in previous posts in this thread are just for fun; they IN NO WAY contribute towards a college place.
    I aspire to go to a world top 20 university and this will be needed.
    These competitions are, as said, no use for entry into an Irish college, but you seem to have set your heights higher than that, so I imagine they would be in other systems!
    Fbjm wrote:
    I went to a good school when I did my leaving, paid €12,000 for grinds etc (as did practically my whole year) and out of the roughly 200 people in my year, one person got 600 points ie all A1s. The institute has between 500 and 1000 leaving cert candidates every year, and last year, four students got 600 points from the school
    Hard work is more important than anything else for high leaving cert points OP!

Fbjm wrote: »
    I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here.

Internships and the like most likely won't be happening for you either, as you really do need to know the owner of some company.

Lastly, you want 625 points. Fair play to you if you get it, and I really hope you do, but it sounds like you're underestimating the leaving cert here. I know a couple of people in England and I've been told that maybe 20-25% of a class would get As across the board in their A- and O-levels. I went to a good school when I did my leaving, paid €12,000 for grinds etc (as did practically my whole year) and out of the roughly 200 people in my year, one person got 600 points ie all A1s. The institute has between 500 and 1000 leaving cert candidates every year, and last year, four students got 600 points from the school. Schools like blackrock and Sutton park boast on average 25% students per annum getting 400+ points, which is very respectable.

Good luck in the leaving and in getting your coveted 625 :)

I do nothing but read and self study, so it should be very possible for me :P

I just want everything possible going for me, I am going to try and talk my parents into paying for me to go to a private school like St Andrews, I will pay for it myself if I have to :P

dambarude wrote: »
    There's the Science/Maths Olympiad (a separate one in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths). Qualifiers are held in DCU in January each year. See www.dcu.ie/olympiads/.

I took part in the Biology one a few years ago, you'll need a lot of independent study to qualify, and a lot of spare time if you do. The winners compete in the international olympiad, and a lot of training and study is involved for that.

These competitions are, as said, no use for entry into an Irish college, but you seem to have set your heights higher than that, so I imagine they would be in other systems!

Hard work is more important than anything else for high leaving cert points OP!

Since I plan on majoring Business/Economics I do not feel the science related rewards will be needed, regardless I will try for them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

There is no Business/Economics course in this country which requires more than 515 points so I'm assuming you will be going abroad? Otherwise this all seems rather pointless (excuse the pun)

AdamD wrote: »
    There is no Business/Economics course in this country which requires more than 515 points so I'm assuming you will be going abroad? Otherwise this all seems rather pointless (excuse the pun)

I am aiming to go to Ivy, Oxbridge, or another top 20 university.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I think you're vastly underestimating the difficulty of getting straight As in the Leaving (and this is coming from someone who got 11 Higher As in the Junior and is indeed aiming for 6 or more A1s in the Leaving). You're also underestimating the difficulty of getting into Oxbridge and Ivy League schools. I know about 5 people (all straight A students, excellent results all along the way, do lots of extra-curriculars fro music to science to winning writing competitions) who applied to Cambridge and only one got it, the one who won the Young Scientist, Concern Writing Competition, got 12 As in the Junior Cert and is a great musician (so I hear).

This varies from course to course, but I hear Cambridge only accepts like 1 in 8 people who get through to the interview stage (I could be wrong on exact figures but there's a significantly higher number of people who get rejected than accepted, anyway). And US universities are no better, plus they charge insane fees (and scholarships, especially for International Students, are hard to come by).

Nothing wrong with the Irish universities, just saying. Afaik, a degree from the UK or Ireland is actually of a higher standard than in the States - until doctoral level, where they are equal.

I've no doubt that you're a good student and will do well, but you're coming across as a little arrogant considering you don't really know the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I do nothing but read and self study, so it should be very possible for me :P

I just want everything possible going for me, I am going to try and talk my parents into paying for me to go to a private school like St Andrews, I will pay for it myself if I have to :P

If you go to Andrews you could do the IB instead...but that's an extra 2000€ a year or so.

Advertisement