Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lord of the Rings live at the Grand Canal Theatre - thoughts on GCT?

Options
  • 11-07-2011 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

In November there's going to be a showing of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring in the Grand Canal Theatre with the soundtrack performed live by the RTE Concert Orchestra. I love the music (and the films and the books) so I've decided to go.

I'm wondering: what is the Grand Canal Theatre like for orchestral performances? Specifically, I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy expensive tickets. I'm not all that well off financially - student! The cheapest tickets are in the top circle a few rows back. Would this be okay? Or would it be worth spending €15 - €25 extra to get into the stalls?

Any other comments on GCT appreciated. :) Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I've sat in the following places:

Ground Floor:
    3rd Row: Herbie Hancock, pretty amazing, although maybe not for large productions.
    5th Row: Rufus Wainwright, as above.
    17th Row: La Boheme, pretty much perfect - raised up a bit, and a good distance, not too close, not too far.

Upper Circle:
    1st Row: Joanna Newsom, not bad, especially if there's a significant price difference - you wouldn't make out faces perfectly, but otherwise good.

Often in the Grand Canal, it's the same price for the back of the Stalls, the back of the Circle and the front of the Upper Circle. I would tend to choose the front of the Upper Circle between those three options, although others have recommended the back of the Stalls.

Really nice venue btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 buttons4me2011

I've got my tickets and all, I'm in row P of the stalls. Somewhere in the middle.
    You're never going to know what Its like till you go, but I heard some good stuff about it.
    The only bad thing I heard about it was that it dosn't carry sound well when an opera is on, because they apparently don't use mikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Looks like an interesting event but a bit pricey for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Decided against in the end due to the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mrsmiawallace6

WOW thats pricey, was in the middle of getting work people to go and saw the price.

How do the expect people to pay for tickets starting at 44.50, people just don't have this kind of money anymore.

such a shame i cant go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

The only bad thing I heard about it was that it dosn't carry sound well when an opera is on, because they apparently don't use mikes.

No opera uses mikes. :confused::confused::confused:

The sound doesnt carry well because it is acoustically a poor theatre; under the balcony, up on the top tier, and offcentre.

Advertisement