Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Clampdown targets RLJs; how about bike thieves too?

• 11-07-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

There has been noticeable attention given by the Garda to the misdemeanors of certain cyclists around Dublin city in recent months and it has to be said that much of this extra attention is justified. (Please read on, don't derail thread just yet!)

However, how about the Garda also launching a clampdown on bicycle theft in the city to complement the traffic offences operation? It would involve the same kind of manpower and time, hanging around hotspots acting as a deterrent rather than an enforcer. The most useful thing they could do is just to hang around busy bike stands and tell people when they've locked their bikes incorrectly or their locks are insufficient. And possibly encourage people to register their bikes at a local Garda station?

It would probably save the Garda a bit of time and hassle in the long run. Anyone know if they have done anything like this recently?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Joeyde

Moflojo wrote: »
    And possibly encourage people to register their bikes at a local Garda station?

Don't follow you here? Do you mean after its stolen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The most useful thing they could do is just to hang around busy bike stands and tell people when they've locked their bikes incorrectly or their locks are insufficient.

That would be a crazy waste of (very expensive) Garda time, saving people's BSOs from their own ignorance and laziness.

Dublin has some serious crime problems (i.e. crimes against the person) that are far more deserving of attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Joeyde wrote: »
    Don't follow you here? Do you mean after its stolen?

no, so they have the chassis number on file so if it is recovered after being stolen they can get it back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Unfortunately you can't clampdown on everything at the same time, invariably you'll end up clamping down on something without being able to provide a counterpoint clampdown.

I don't think the criticism is valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Petty criminals need cash for drugs, bike crime goes down-muggings go up, thats how I see it. Stealing bikes is non violent so a more 'acceptable' crime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

It would probably save the Garda a bit of time and hassle in the long run. Anyone know if they have done anything like this recently?

Punter: "Guard, I have had my bike stolen"
    Guard: "Well now, that's terrible, but there's not much we can do, be on your way"

Not a lot of time and hassle there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It would be good for the bike shops to stop selling cable locks without warning customers that they're no good on their own.

Other than that, it would nice if there were a few robust, vandal-proof noticeboards at a few stands here and there with advice on securely locking bikes, and maybe cycling-related news.

I don't know if anyone here has ever been down to their last few quid, but I have numerous times, and even if you own a BSO, it can be a heavy blow to have your bike stolen and wonder how you're going to replace it. I agree that there are some risible attempts at locking bikes in Dublin, but we aren't born with the knowledge of how to lock bikes securely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »
    That would be a crazy waste of (very expensive) Garda time, saving people's BSOs from their own ignorance and laziness.

Dublin has some serious crime problems (i.e. crimes against the person) that are far more deserving of attention.

I disagree, Zero tolerance approach to theft prevents the large crimes. Its the smaller crimes like bike theft that keeps thiefs going on a day to day basis. Followed by larger scale house break ins etc.

Clamping down on smaller crimes such as this / public intoxication has a proven track record in large cities, New York for instance.

listermint wrote: »
    I disagree, Zero tolerance approach to theft prevents the large crimes. Its the smaller crimes like bike theft that keeps thiefs going on a day to day basis. Followed by larger scale house break ins etc.

Clamping down on smaller crimes such as this / public intoxication has a proven track record in large cities, New York for instance.

Maybe you should re-read the bit I was responding to.

Wikipedia has a page on zero tolerance (naturally). It claims that it isn't very effective, but I have no idea how accurate the page is.

In New York, the decline of crimes rate started well before Rudy Giuliani came to power, in 1993, and none of the decreasing processes had particular inflection under him.[13][14] In the same period of time, the decrease in crime was the same in the other major US cities, even those with an opposite security policy; finally, in the years 1984-7 New York already experienced a policy similar to Giuliani's one, but it faced a crime increase instead.[13]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_tolerance

The very awkward phrasing of that paragraph doesn't inspire confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »
    Maybe you should re-read the bit I was responding to.

Noted, That part is non a sensical waste of money.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Wikipedia has a page on zero tolerance (naturally). It claims that it isn't very effective, but I have no idea how accurate the page is.

FWIW, Gladwell covered Levitt's "legalised abortion cuts crime" theory in Freakonomics, since rather debunked:

http://www.economist.com/node/5246700?story_id=5246700

tomasrojo wrote: »

Well we all know that from reading Freakonomics, the decline in crime in New York had nothing to do with zero tolerance, and everything to do with the legalization of abortion in the 70's, leading to less neglected kids being born! :D

Damnit, Lumen beat me to it...

The most criticism the Freakanomics people ever got was for commissioning crash tests comparing child restraint mechanisms and standard seat belts.

(They used crash-test dummies, not children, in case you're wondering whether that was the source of the outrage!)

Before that, child-restraint mechanisms were always compared with no restraint of any kind. When compared with just using the adult seat belts on children, the restraint mechanisms didn't do all that much better for children over two.

http://www.freakonomics.com/2005/07/10/freakonomics-in-the-times-magazine-the-seat-belt-solution/

Again, not sure how good their work is here. It probably is valuable in highlighting that the child restraints are given the softest test possible -- they're better than nothing, you know!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/10/magazine/10FREAK.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&ei=5070&en=641c83d4b0668293&ex=1189915200

Interesting: it is estimated that 80% of child-restraint systems are improperly installed.

To drag myself slightly more on-topic, it is estimated that over 90% of cycle helmets are improperly fitted.

These high percentages are either a damning indictment of product usability testing, or the mechanical ability of the average member of the public. Or both. Or something else. They're amazingly high anyway!

So anyway, if Ireland legalises abortion, will that reduce the risk of our bikes getting nicked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I think clamping down on RLJ'ing etc contrbutes to saving lives, reducing injuries etc.

Preventing / detecting bike theft is a property based crime - even if it is junkies nicking the bikes, they'll just go nick something else if they can't get a bike, meaning it's a low priority for the Guards (which it really should be).

I worked in a UK city in Community Safety when the local police commander adopted a strategy based on zero tolerance / "broken windows theory, following the "success" of New York . It worked for us, but mainly because we displaced the anti-social and criminal activity to less intensely policed areas - the headline crime rate barely changed for the wider area. It did, however, have a measurable impact on the fear of crime (reduced it significantly) and the positive percpetion of the local police - in other words, it's good PR.

I think further study showed that New York's achievement had more to do with a local economic boom, than effective policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

Has there been a big clampdown on RLJs? I have not seen much evidence, despite cycling in Dublin daily. I am very much in favour of a strong clampdown on RLJumping.

I think more education about bike locks would be great, as Tomasrojo suggested. Not sure how that could be performed, but I've yet to hear a story of a bike in Dublin being stolen while locked with a U-lock + supportive cable lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Peterx

Punter: "Guard, I have had my bike stolen"
    Guard: "Well now, that's terrible, but there's not much we can do, be on your way"

Not a lot of time and hassle there...

My girlfriends race bike was recently taken from her car. She went to the nearest Garda station (on foot) to report it. The Gardai took the car away on a flatbed for finger printing.
    They did the best they could for her. Plenty of time and hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Has there been a big clampdown on RLJs? I have not seen much evidence, despite cycling in Dublin daily. I am very much in favour of a strong clampdown on RLJumping.

There was mention in the press a few months ago about a clampdown. I've not seen much evidence of this myself but then I don't go through red lights.
    I think more education about bike locks would be great, as Tomasrojo suggested. Not sure how that could be performed, but I've yet to hear a story of a bike in Dublin being stolen while locked with a U-lock + supportive cable lock.

Well since the general opinion is that cable locks aren't worth anything it's just the U-locks which are supposedly protecting the bikes. I've heard plenty of stories of people losing their bikes when they were locked with a good U-lock.

• Advertisement

Peterx wrote: »
    My girlfriends race bike was recently taken from her car. She went to the nearest Garda station (on foot) to report it. The Gardai took the car away on a flatbed for finger printing.
    They did the best they could for her. Plenty of time and hassle.

That is probably a very different outcome from someone having a BSO nicked from a rack on Parnell St... the more expensive the item stolen, the more effort will be accorded to the report I suspect (be that right or wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Well since the general opinion is that cable locks aren't worth anything it's just the U-locks which are supposedly protecting the bikes. I've heard plenty of stories of people losing their bikes when they were locked with a good U-lock.

My understanding was that the near-useless cable lock paired with the U-lock increased effectiveness as the thief needed two different types of tools to break both. I've always used Hal's videos as my guide on bike locking.

Now it could be that the two-lock approach is rare enough that anecdotes of theft despite them are similarly rare. It could also be that if everyone began using a U-lock and a cable lock tomorrow that thieves would just resort to stealing these bikes (a kind of lock/thief arms race). But in general I feel fairly comfortable locking up most places in Dublin city centre, and the majority of folks (but not all) reporting thefts here admit to using a crappy lock.

(Statistics on lock types/thefts would be the holy grail. Even just compiling from theft reports on boards.ie.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

(Statistics on lock types/thefts would be the holy grail. Even just compiling from theft reports on boards.ie.)

Go on then. I look forward to your results...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement