Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying an oven brand

• 11-07-2011 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi, I need help identifying a built-in oven brand. It is about 10 years old and it's important I get the brand correct as it's for an insurance claim.

Attached is the best quality photo of the oven,
    Thanks.

img1743cm.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Isn't that a brand name on the bottom of the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

It is yes, but the image isn't clear enough to zoom in and read it. I was hoping someone with a bit more experience could recognise the brand or even the logo.

Figured it out - it's a Nordmende. Thanks anyway!
    SO200IX.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

EmmetF wrote: »
    Figured it out - it's a Nordmende. Thanks anyway!
    SO200IX.jpg

Thats interesting, because your one has only two knobs. In fact thats a completely different oven!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

???????????????????
    odd

• Advertisement

Thats interesting, because your one has only two knobs. In fact thats a completely different oven!

You're right! The guy who "verified" it's a Normende (the owner) hadn't a clue what he was talking about. Anyway I took it to KAL up at Citywest Business Park (they're the company it was most likely bought from) and they reckon it's a Baumatic.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Ps. I didn't mean it was that exact model of Normende, I was just giving an example!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Sorry now a minute, can you, or the owner, or someone who is in the house where the photo was taken, not just stoop down and read the name from the front of the oven, and then relay that information back to whomever needs it via a phone call, e-mail, text message, hand written letter or carrier pigeon?

As I stated before, it's for an insurance claim. Sadly, the whole kitchen burnt down so it wouldn't be possible to identify by stooping down and reading the name from the front of the oven.

Unfortunately, if we don't get the exact brand of the oven and estimate the cost of the construction of the kitchen, the insurance company are going to call fraud and the owners won't get any money from the claim.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Above is the most recent and clearest image of the oven.

Oh right, well I am sorry to hear that, and that clears up that bit.

Having said that, I am not sure why you need the exact brand, normally, you do not need to specifically itemise any single item worth under €3K. If the oven was worth more than that, it would have had to been included on the policy.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

OP, the first picture is a low resolution image. Does the original image exist somewhere that would allow you to zoom in?

• Advertisement

prospect wrote: »
    Oh right, well I am sorry to hear that, and that clears up that bit.

Having said that, I am not sure why you need the exact brand, normally, you do not need to specifically itemise any single item worth under €3K. If the oven was worth more than that, it would have had to been included on the policy.

Yeah I see what you mean, however this isn't the first thing that has gone wrong in the claim and the insurance company are going to try do everything in their power to make sure we don't get a cent. It's actually quite a bizzare situation (which I won't go into too much detail in), but no-one seems to remember who installed the kitchen, no matter how much digging we do.
    Anyway, the claim for the kitchen is roughly €20,000 as far as I know, so we need to provide proof that's what it cost. Any more help would be appreciated!

delly wrote: »
    OP, the first picture is a low resolution image. Does the original image exist somewhere that would allow you to zoom in?

Yea I noticed that alright. I was thinking it must have been taken with a camera phone, but I'll get on to whoever took the photo and see if they might have a higher resolution image!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Anyway, the claim for the kitchen is roughly €20,000 as far as I know, so we need to provide proof that's what it cost
    wow that must be some kitchen were are the main expense,s ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

Just on a side point here re €20,000 cost of kitchen.
    The insurance company is only going to pay out for the present prices to install a similiar kitchen/building work etc. Doesn't mean to say they are going to cough up the full €20k at all.

Unless you're going to whole hog and getting the full kitchen again,I wouldn't hold my breath expecting them to pay for the same appliances.

I had a similiar claim some years ago and although I was paying a premium for X amount, they only paid out a lesser amount to cover the actual work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

Btw, do you have the oven at all?
    Even if its burned out you may be able to identify the manufacturers name/model number from the metal plate attached to the oven. Its sometimes inside the oven/outside on back etc.
    Even take off outer cover you'll sometimes find manufacturers name stamped inside somewhere.

Seems very odd.

Usually they'll have a formula for calculating the cost based on the size, i.e. €x per square foot. This is assuming you had the house insured for the correct value. So, if you are deemed to have under-estimated the rebuild value of the house by 50%, then they'll only pay 50% of the claim for the kitchen.

That aside, I suppose your best course of action would be to gather as many photos of the kitchen as you can and bring them, with the dimensions, to a kitchen maker and ask them for a refit cost.

If the kitchen was fire damaged, that would imply that the plaster would be 'smoked' and have to be removed and redone.

Finally, as this is a claim you are contesting, I would be very careful about what you put on public record online, just to be sure.

prospect wrote: »
    Finally, as this is a claim you are contesting, I would be very careful about what you put on public record online, just to be sure.

I agree, and on that note I'll stop discussing the claim itself.
    I'll look into getting a hold of whatever's left over from the oven and see if there's anything printed on it that might help with identification.

If anyone can identify the oven from the photo, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks all for the advice!

Advertisement