Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smash & grab in Drumcondra

Options
  • 11-07-2011 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi Folks, my car was broken into on Grace Park Road in Drumcondra Dublin 9 2wks ago & my handbag was taken. While I know without a doubt my cash (pink Guess Wallet) & anything of value was taken without a second thought, the sentimental items & girlie things in my bag are what are annoying me more. If by some chance you found a tan coloured A-Wear bag with gold clasp on the front & plait straps with some items (perfume, Louis Vuitton filofax, grandparents memorial cards, photos, lipsticks/glosses, moisturisers, earphones, gift vouchers, drivers licence, loyalty cards, Quinn Insurance swipe card, prescriptions & tablets, bus ticket, winning scratch cards) - the bag isnt worth much but the €600 cash & all the other items which are of no value to anyone else - they may have been thrown in your front garden or in your wheelie bin or you may have just come across it while walking down the road, please contact me. It would mean so much to me to get some of these items back. Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nb21

What does this mean?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

it means it has been moved to the dublin city forum.

holy god why would you leave a handbag in a car :eek: tbh at this stage you havent a hope of getting anything back, i would think they are long gone

Thanks - yes I know that they are long gone and believe me I know how stupid it was to leave my handbag in the car, but the reason I posted, was I thought there may be a possibility that they grabbed my wallet out of my bag and threw my bag over a wall or something. Maybe into someone's garden in the area....thats all. I know its a long shot.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hope you have some luck.

Re: leaving your handbag out, if it makes you feel any better I walked off and left my wallet (with a fair bit of money and cards in it) on the roof of my car in Drumcondra going to a game in Tolka Park a few years ago. It was there for about 20 minutes before I ran back and got it. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

stovelid wrote: »
    Hope you have some luck.

Re: leaving your handbag out, if it makes you feel any better I walked off and left my wallet (with a fair bit of money and cards in it) on the roof of my car in Drumcondra going to a game in Tolka Park a few years ago. It was there for about 20 minutes before I ran back and got it. :o

How would that make her feel better? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you'd checked the local bins and skips directly after it was taken you might have found stuff, but two weeks later is really pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hope you have some luck.

Wouldn't happen in Tallaght :pac:

MajorMax wrote: »
    How would that make her feel better? :eek:

Was re: people pointing about that she should have put her handbag away. People forget and make mistakes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Was re: people pointing about that she should have put her handbag away. People forget and make mistakes.

With 600 quid CASH in it??

I feckin wouldnt forget.

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    With 600 quid CASH in it??

I feckin wouldnt forget.

Maybe she's rich. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

nb21 wrote: »
    Hi Folks, my car was broken into on Grace Park Road in Drumcondra Dublin 9 2wks ago & my handbag was taken. While I know without a doubt my cash (pink Guess Wallet) & anything of value was taken without a second thought, the sentimental items & girlie things in my bag are what are annoying me more. If by some chance you found a tan coloured A-Wear bag with gold clasp on the front & plait straps with some items (perfume, Louis Vuitton filofax, grandparents memorial cards, photos, lipsticks/glosses, moisturisers, earphones, gift vouchers, drivers licence, loyalty cards, Quinn Insurance swipe card, prescriptions & tablets, bus ticket, winning scratch cards) - the bag isnt worth much but the €600 cash & all the other items which are of no value to anyone else - they may have been thrown in your front garden or in your wheelie bin or you may have just come across it while walking down the road, please contact me. It would mean so much to me to get some of these items back. Thank you.

is this a wind up? who carries 600 yo yos around with them?

cars safety in Dublin is something I brought up in another forum and some took umbrage that I would ask if you should not park in certain areas. I have lived in Dublin for a while but have no idea where it is safe or rather unsafe to park a car (I am learning to drive). I would have thought Gracepark Road would have been okay.

nb21 wrote: »
    Thanks - yes I know that they are long gone and believe me I know how stupid it was to leave my handbag in the car, but the reason I posted, was I thought there may be a possibility that they grabbed my wallet out of my bag and threw my bag over a wall or something. Maybe into someone's garden in the area....thats all. I know its a long shot.....

that is not an unreasonable query. normally if a wallet is taken, its contents are removed and the wallet itself is discarded within 100 m of where it was taken.

Hope you have some luck.

it could happen to a bishop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I would have thought Gracepark Road would have been okay.

Not the Richmond Road end

cosmic wrote: »
    Not the Richmond Road end

so what you are saying is if you park your car there someone will break the window either to steal something or for the craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

cars safety in Dublin is something I brought up in another forum and some took umbrage that I would ask if you should not park in certain areas. I have lived in Dublin for a while but have no idea where it is safe or rather unsafe to park a car (I am learning to drive). I would have thought Gracepark Road would have been okay.

That thread you started was locked due to the likelihood of you trolling after someone copped your history of Dublin bashing. Rightly so given what you were coming out with.

Gracepark road is a fine place, unfortunately you can't leave a handbag on display anywhere in the country.

It should be fairly obvious, but here are a few pointers, don't leave anything on display, coins, bags, sunglasses etc. Look down, if there is broken glass or lock barrels on the path, it's likely that there have been break ins before. If there are loads of scumbags loitering around or if there are cars on fire or forklifts reversing in to cars it's reasonable to assume it's not a safe place to leave your car.

Basically, you act like you would in any city.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My wife had her bag stolen from a car last year in north county Dublin. After the Guards were called and details taken she headed home. About 5 km's later on a country road, there it was sitting on a random pillar. She hits the brakes, gets out and checks the bag. Everything except the cash was still there; her ipod, credit cards, even gift vouchers. It was a very lucky find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

so what you are saying is if you park your car there someone will break the window either to steal something or for the craic?

No, what I am saying is that I, personally, don't feel that that area is safe to park my car in. I don't know what would happen to it but I'm not willing to use my car to find out.

I would have thought Gracepark Road would have been okay.

there is not one street is the whole country that would be safe with a handbag left in clear view. Smash and Grab is opportunist crime - i dont even have my handbad visiable when i am in the car driving

OP, have knocked on any of the doors around where you were parked?

• Advertisement

cosmic wrote: »
    No, what I am saying is that I, personally, don't feel that that area is safe to park my car in. I don't know what would happen to it but I'm not willing to use my car to find out.

again in another thread learning to Drive I raised such issues and I was told I was Dublin Bashing as John Rambo maintains and that Dublin is was not Gotham City.

I find it interesting and as a non Dub I would find it hard to judge where is safe. Friends have parked in Sheriff Street, notorious for scumbags and nothing happened.

obviously leaving a bag in sight is not a good idea, but there are places where they will damage your car for the hell of it.
    When I first moved to Dublin I was walking through Sean McDermot street and the local kids had smashed a car window and set the car alight. The adults just stood there and watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

again in another thread learning to Drive I raised such issues and I was told I was Dublin Bashing as John Rambo maintains and that Dublin is was not Gotham City.

I wasn't part of that thread at all Fuinseog, you got the thread locked all by yourself by getting up peoples noses with your silly sweeping views on Dublin. I don't maintain Dublin is was not Gotham city whatever that means.
    I find it interesting and as a non Dub I would find it hard to judge where is safe

And I gave you perfectly good advice (again) on this forum which you seem to not see, or chose to ignore.
    I was walking through Sean McDermot street and the local kids had smashed a car window and set the car alight. The adults just stood there and watched.

We can all tell stories, doesn't mean a thing Fuinseog. Are all foreign students going to get raped and murdered in Galway? Are all cars going to be burnt out in Belfast? Is everyone going to get stabbed in Limerick?

No.

I find it interesting and as a non Dub I would find it hard to judge where is safe. Friends have parked in Sheriff Street, notorious for scumbags and nothing happened.

obviously leaving a bag in sight is not a good idea, but there are places where they will damage your car for the hell of it.
    When I first moved to Dublin I was walking through Sean McDermot street and the local kids had smashed a car window and set the car alight. The adults just stood there and watched.

Fuinseog, how difficult is it to understand that these things happening all over the country and not just in Dublin :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fuiseog, I am of the opinion that you are a troll, out to stir up trouble on this forum.

For that reason, I am banning you for a period of three days.

Thanks for all your comments, some useful, some not so much. I simply thought that someone, somewhere may have possibly found my bag and just hadnt gotten around to handing it into a garda station or maybe didnt know what to do with it. Long shot, I know. I wasnt expecting to get the cash back - i know it was stupid, I know it can happen anywhere and I know it only takes a few seconds to happen - that wasnt the point of this post. Just forget about it.....thats what im trying to do.

Advertisement