Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business down 30% due roadworks

Options
  • 11-07-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Some guy was on Keith Finnegan this morning saying since the right turn on the Seamus Quirke road towards Shantalla was blocked his business is down 30%, its crazy that no thinking was put into this junction, how are the small business supposed to operate while the roads are being dug up. Surely all they need to do is to restore the turn right light that they have blocked off and it will work, but that would be to easy to do for the Council although he says the Garda wanted it blocked off.

They want you to go to the roundabout and come back up again to turn in which is crazy as you can spend over 15 minutes trying to come back up with all the traffic. A child would come up with a better solution to this problem its not brain surgery here.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There are signs up telling motorists to take a right at Rahoon Road. Big signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That was the guy from Subway complaining. While he has my sympathy, I don't think the right turn should be reinstated. There is no filter lane anymore and people turning right are causing a backlog. It's not so hard to go the back way as described above. Even I have managed it for months now :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Had to be done with muppets holding up traffic and it will be like that until well into next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

But if they switched back on the right turn light there would be no problem, it was not a problem before and would not be again, they could remove a small bit of the centre island for more room. In fairness if any of us had a business there we would complain also, fair play to the man its hard trying to survive out there today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

but that's why they stopped it - cause it was causing problems. Also, there is no center island any more, as far as I recall...people turning right are causing a huge backlog, and to be honest, people who actually would want to go to subway (or any other business) will find a way (and use the right turn at Rahoon Rd).

I thought they'd be finished by November, though? Or was this a typical Galway Council schedule, which means 'whatever we say, add at least a year and a couple of million'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Aerohead wrote: »
    But if they switched back on the right turn light there would be no problem, it was not a problem before and would not be again, they could remove a small bit of the centre island for more room. In fairness if any of us had a business there we would complain also, fair play to the man its hard trying to survive out there today

There is no room to do this.

It was a bigger problem when people turning right were holding up traffic on a busy route. Once you know you can't turn right you can plan to take another route as mentioned by others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Well if it has taken from last October to get to where they are today it wont be finished until well into next year, the still have a long way to go and then they have to start the other side of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It must represent a considerable loss of custom to businesses in the area really. I wonder how much rents are on those kind of premises.

Im told thst this morning on Keith Finnegan Katherine Connolly mentioned that the HSE are renting a building in the complex where Aldi is located for €850,000 a year on a 30 year lease!! That is an astounding amount of money, particularly as €850,000 should be able to buy such a building now. Did anyone else hear it? As I didn't hear it myself I'm wondering if the person who told me misheard. Anyone care to confirm or deny?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm sure the HSE have a tenancy there.

Don't know what the rent is, or what they use it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I think its Cancer Care West, its the new building beside the traffic lights. I would be surprised if its not true, this is the wasteful HSE you know, they're not known for getting a bargain

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The poster mentioned the West City retail park. All the top floor there is rented out to the HSE, it has Dieiticians, CWO, Environmental Health etc plus a carpark under the building.

Does anyone know who owns/developed that place? They must be making a tidy profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

that right turn there at westside is the greatest joke of it all.
    go to the ****ing roundabout and come back up the otherside of the road.

Advertisement