Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade issues. Trial.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

No need for companies to hire apprentices now, they can get interns!

http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=aSq4f4MSKwVmfLZc6tSFSjQ5xYdX8zCnIcButWTleyShdLyLngEafSPH9z0x7rjSlBmBDukJGJ0VASGHT0mRSiPe7GMrGuo/Vp/J6ZCqtzs1a7dEu63wBEgvbOGwrK2rMkDGo3ooEpY04TdkEAspCrS796QybDehzEmvXA/rGOwAbGoivLY58ZhmBSV5/veur/pUGvI6O9fXEzkzVVeNkAZ6BLFSF6h8+5ZvwlFa6uL2dNBtVugO3cvFZ0xBGvehwvAntxYLgVViWhfsJYYsu8PgZ0GQ8+INrT5CR3B1JCCfcV2oQWBbItgeQynRC4beshreY1hhZBRYnm9ZP+xDkIJ7I1bP2DuYgGyJ9oV0RsqjlZYFC7VtFPpghxHnJwKy+3LRod7i5xkClxAs98zU4WMA+RSbqQ8rYNKajn8VEr0MUUtZ2BaZwF4orbAgjHs/qzVn+S6Q0/vztImsCxpKPw==#

Ref. INTE-812349
    The intern will gain practical experience in:On Site general repair and electricial remediation work for large commercial clients.Comply with strict company procedures/JSA s and Heath & Safety. Dealing with customers.The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following:Revelant electrical products.Following company procedures and paperwork completion.Health & Safety. On completion the intern will have attained skills in:How to use relevant electrical products and there applications.Following Health & Safety Standards. Follwowing company procedures. Customer relations.

Or maybe I'm just cynical!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It's a RECI member advertising the position!

As badly paid as apprentices are, at least they get sent on courses and eventually have a proper qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

They've been in business for over 25 years so no,but they are taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

We have contacted the Boards.ie community relations manager about this latest update. We have provided some background information. If and when we hear back we will post here with an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

TEEU ballots members for national strike in electrical contracting industry

January 19th, 2014

The Technical Engineering and Electrical Union is balloting its 6,500 members in the electrical contracting industry for strike action in defence of pay rates, which employers have declared they will reduce on a firm by firm basis. TEEU General Secretary Eamon Devoy has written to the Electrical Contractors Association, the largest employer group, notifying it of the ballot.

In the letter Mr Devoy says he expects to serve notice of industrial action on all employers once the ballot concludes on February 7th. He added that “strike action may be taken nationally against all employers simultaneously or strategically against individual employers as determined by the Executive Council of the Union.”

The dispute arises out of a Supreme Court decision last May to strike out all existing Registered Employment Agreements as unconstitutional. These agreements have set pay and conditions for designated sectors such as electrical contracting since 1925and provided for registration with the Labour Court since 1946. The electrical agreement had been registered with the Labour Court since 1990.

Under former agreements and Labour Court recommendations TEEU members are entitled to pay rates of €24.78 an hour from April 1st, 2014, but the ECA wants to cut the existing rate of €21.49 by ten per cent down to €19.34. The union had been willing to discuss the ECA proposals, but only in the context of a new Registered Employment Agreement that would protect overall industry standards.

The union has pointed out that, despite the Supreme Court decision, while the agreement is no longer registered with the Labour Court it remains extant and still constitutes a National Collective Agreement as it was for 65 years before it was registered in 1990.

“During the last nine years our members have been faced with serious austerity measures including both direct and indirect tax increases, negative equity in their homes and loss of medical insurance as well as a fall in earnings”, Mr Devoy said today. “The TEEU has continually tried to reach agreement with the employers about how to plan a sustainable recoverey strategy for the industry.

“Unfortunately the employer groups have continued to squabble amongst themselves and it now seems that they intend allowing the law of the jungle to prevail with every company negotiating its own rates of pay directly with employees. Such a development would lead inevitably to a situation where not only employment but consumer and safety standards would plummet.

“It is in no one’s interest that this should happen except for a few cowboy operators whose only interest is in winning a quick buck and moving on to rip off the next customer.”

The last time the TEEU undertook industrial action on behalf of members in electrical contracting the construction industry was brought to a standstill, as well asmany manufacturing plants. There was an emergency debate in Dail Eireann and the then Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Mary Coughlan, asked the Labour Court to intervene. It found TEEU members were entitled an increase of 4.9 per cent and recommended they be paid but employers failed to impelement it.

http://www.teeu.ie/2014_01_19.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The situation in <SNIP> is tense enough as it is, could prove to be the final nail in the coffin for <SNIP>

WikiHow wrote: »
    The situation in <SNIP> is tense enough as it is, could prove to be the final nail in the coffin for <SNIP>.

I doubt it as this is a strike for those working under contractors so shouldnt effect any direct <SNIP> staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

The situation in the trade is depressing at the moment. I'm self employed atm scraping around for work. Companies are "subcontracting" work but actually you are on an hourly. This isnt legal btw. Ive been asked to doctor invoices so as to fool the revenue for them.

All this for 17 quid an hour and I'm supplying tools, van, fuel. Even on night shift! Got treated like this building <SNIP>. They let you go with zero notice. We need to start reporting this kind of abuse to the revenue commisioners. I'm no fan of the union but if they dont take a serious hard stand now the rest of the sparks lucky to be in a large multinational contract will find themselves under this same pressure.

Mod edit: No names of companies or information that identifies a company please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Companies are "subcontracting" work but actually you are on an hourly. This isnt legal btw.

I think you will find that it is legal.

I sympathise though as I am self employed and on an hourly rate too.

Anyone know if strike action is still happening tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Anyone know if strike action is still happening tomorrow?

That got sorted weeks ago.

Hard to tell who was bluffing, the employers avoiding the rate rise by looking to lower them and settle for the status quo

Or the union avoiding the lower rate by going after the rise and settling for the status quo

bassey wrote: »
    That got sorted weeks ago.

Hard to tell who was bluffing, the employers avoiding the rate rise by looking to lower them and settle for the status quo

Or the union avoiding the lower rate by going after the rise and settling for the status quo
    According to the TEEU website the strike did go ahead today, targeting non compliant contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Ah right sorry, didn't hear it was still going ahead against non compliant employers, I'm in me phase 6 bubble and my employer pays the rate anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BeardyDevoy

Time to awaken this 3 year old thread as it looks like NECI has put the TEEU back in the box again. See latest two articles on the NECI website.
    http://www.neci.ie/2016/09/teeu-up-to-their-old-tricks/
    http://www.neci.ie/2016/10/teeu-withdraws-seo-application/
    Personally I think the ECA is playing a clever game to avoid increasing pay rates. The ECA don't in general compete with the thousands of small electrical contractors. NECI are correct to suggest in their submission that the ECA sub contract the labour to out of state (Northern Ireland) contractors, to avoid paying the rates which they have agreed with the TEEU.
    I doubt you will ever see an industry wide legally binding agreement again. NECI once bitten, twice shy.

Advertisement