Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Castletroy/Rhebogue Area

• 11-07-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭

After ten years in this lovely city I've decided to bite the bullet and move out this side of town.I've been working out here for over 3 years and the missus's office is moving out towards this area aswell so it makes sense, I also work stupid hours so the commute to the Ennis Road is killing me and I'm trying to achieve a better work/life balance.

I want a house,away from students and undesirables.Where should I avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Probably best to go Newtown (Annacotty), or Monaleen. Not many student types or undesirables in those areas. Also close to the tech park.

Edit: Golf Links Road is pretty good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I'm thinking Annacotty might be too far out.I work in the Technology Park but the OH will be working on Georges Quay and will be getting to work with a mixture of cycling and driving.What's Rhebogue like does anyone know?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Those areas are pretty mixed. Research them fully before moving.

Those areas are pretty mixed. Research them fully before moving.

That's what I'm trying to do here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Did you try a search? I think there was a thread on here before about moving to rhebogue and it wasnt that great. Why dont you try up around Glanntan, nice area

• Advertisement

I did indeed,didn't want to drag up any zombie threads.Glanntan is the only place I've been recommended by anyone.Just wondering if there was anywhere else to avoid in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Hey Test, I am born and bred ennis road area and moved to Corbally few years ago. I wouldnt go anyway near rhebogue. I am sure there are some lovely people there but not my cup of tea. Stick to Castletroy best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 PrincessPixie

I'm thinking Annacotty might be too far out.I work in the Technology Park but the OH will be working on Georges Quay and will be getting to work with a mixture of cycling and driving.What's Rhebogue like does anyone know?

Annacotty is only about 6 miles from town, not a big bike ride by any stretch...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I lived on the corner of Dublin Rd/Rhebogue for the past year and never had any bother there. I used to walk a loop at night which brought me along the Rhebogue road and never had any problems/intimidation but I could see what other posters were referring to when they talked about the estates being a mixed bag up there.
    Rhebogue to Georges Quay could be comfortably walked/cycled, in fact it's quite a pleasant trip! If you decide to go to Castletroy or beyond however, I'd say your OH may be as well off cycling as much as possible. With St. Patrick's School off at the moment the Dublin Rd traffic is fairly okay in the mornings but come September it'll be a nightmare.

Hope that helps somewhat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hey Test, I'd say Golf Links would be a good bet, especially as your OH would be cycling. I lived across from Storm last semester and it took less than 15 minutes to get into town by bike, so it'll be even less from there.

The university is only a few minutes walk away as well, if you wanted a decent gym.

Have never heard of any students living up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Kilbane is a good bet, but there's a very specific corner of Milford Grange across from Plassey Credit Union that has no students in it or any issues either really.

Glanntan has a few students in it but not too many. Kylemore is a pretty safe bet and plenty of available houses there too. I'd say you could pick one up for relatively good value.

For sale http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/Kylemore-School-House-Road-Castletroy-Monaleen-Co-Limerick/517522/

For rent http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1078971

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

If you are looking for work life balance then Rhebogue/Castletroy/monaleen would be my choice.

Rhebogue is 10-15 minute walk to city centre,Has shopping around the parkway Dunnes, Aldi, TK max, Homebase, Currys. Has riverside walks out to UL and has Clare Street park a few mins walk away. Also has Creches and primary schools
    Castletroy has UL/Cinema/Shopping/Schools and all the amenities there-Further from town though so you would need to drive or get a taxi for a night out
    Monaleen has a pub,Schools a few shops and restaurants - Same transport issue getting into town. Would require taxi or drive

All are relatively close to the motorway so you can be on the mortorway in less than 5 mins .

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bedstuybosco

woodhaven is another nice place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 A1Nutboy

I would not go to Rhebogue personally. Know 2 different peopel living there and they are not very happy there. Too close the halting site behind and many social housing sorts moved in. They are the facts as I hear them, not meant to offend anyone.

I would suggest Norwood/Lynwood/Aspen gardens area. Close to Castletroy and town. No students really, decent long settled estates.

Other than that you do run the risk of students (not a prob for me personally as I have found students to be decent and reasonable) and/or undesirables.

Example A friend lives in a house in Curragh Birin which he owns. A house just down the avenue was let to the council. The people in it ruined the neighbourhood and then burned down the house. God honest truth. Thankfully they are gone and house while delelict is at least OK looking from outside.

Advertisement