Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Police certificate while in Australia

Options
  • 11-07-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

Need a little help here, cant find through the search.
    Moving to Nz through work and have been told I need a police cert for my visa. Im in Australia at the moment. I rang my local station and they said i need my folks to go down, get the forms, send it to me, I fill it in and then send it back with all the correct documentation. They process it and then send the cert back here. Thats gonna take about 6 weeks at least. Is there any quicker way of doing this?
    Howd did you guys do it?

Thanks in advance
    Munky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

Get the folks to scan it in and email it. You fill it in and scan it back to them and they print it out.

It'll really help if you know someone who knows your local superintendant and would give it to him directly.

I did that and it saved a few weeks of processing I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Thanks Cormac. Just had a chat with the auld lad and he says he know one or two of the local 50. Hopefully this will speed up a few bits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I have attached the form you fill out

I filled it out got it certified (via a pharmacist - the garda said I needed to do this, but others it seemed didn't) scanned it - emailed it to sister who gave it to garda, and they sent it off from there

Got it back within 10days, and my sister emailed it to me and then sent it out.

I got a huge run around from Garda before my sister got that form.

Thanks hussey. Exactly what i was looking for. When you say certified but a pharmacist, do you mean you went in to pharmacy and showed them it was you and they stamped it for you? I was going to head to the local Police station here and ask them to stamp it.
    You said you emailed. So, they dont need the original copy?
    Cheers
    M

Oh, little rant. The Garda i spoke to was a very unhelpful person. Felt like i was putting him out by actually asking for information. I asked what documentation I need to send and he just said, "ah ya know, passport and stuff". HELLOOOOO anything else. Im in fukcin' Australia and want to do this once!!
    Was considering heading home about a month back, thankfully offered a position in NZ. With that kinda attitude....why would I ever wanna go back. Useless fooker.
    aaaaarrggghhhhh thats better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Thanks hussey. Exactly what i was looking for. When you say certified but a pharmacist, do you mean you went in to pharmacy and showed them it was you and they stamped it for you? I was going to head to the local Police station here and ask them to stamp it.
    You said you emailed. So, they dont need the original copy?
    Cheers
    M

I just need it certified, local police can do it, but a lot of pharmacists can certify it (they have a stamp with a number on it) like justice of the peace. I just used one as was downstairs from work.

I don't think this is an official procedure, but the garda said I needed it as how would he know it was real (?? :confused:) apparently an emailed scan printed in B/W fools the hard criminals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

spunk try asking on the ES Forum a good few helpfull cops post there. Do you need an oz police check?

Thanks Zambia. I found this link over there, which has all the info i need

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/police_certificate.html

Between this and Hussey's form i think i have everything i need.

Dont think I need an Oz check.I havnt been asked to provide one by the company sorting this out.

Cheers
    Munky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Good man reckon we could clear this up an add to the faq. Does anyone know the NZ police clearance procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

Wow that seems quite involved. I made one phone call to my local Garda station and then sent one email. Cert was then posted to my parents who forwarded to me in Brisbane. No forms to fill out or anything. Maybe I got lucky.

NZ doesn't have a police cert as such, you get a statement of your criminal record instead. It's usually treated exactly the same but you can run into troubles in certain cases (MOD in the UK doesn't like it, for example). I can't remember what I had to do to get it though

• Advertisement
Advertisement