Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tree/bush is this

Options
  • 11-07-2011 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

This tree has just grown out of nowhere in my MiL's garden, she hasn't a clue what it is (me neither ;)) she doesn't know what to do with it, leave it or dig it out, it's growing at a very rapid speed, so she asked me to find out what it is, can anyone tell me what it is)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hard to say, I suspect it is a weed/something self-seeded. A pic of the whole plant to see the growth pattern, stems etc would be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Or wait till it flowers like it appears to be going to do in pic no. 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭pinky 06

Hi, this looks like an ash tree. They seem to grow anywhere! I'm always picking seedlings of them out of my flowerbeds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Or wait till it flowers like it appears to be going to do in pic no. 3.

Yes, I didn't actually notice that, but I was at my MiL's house yesterday and it had started to flower, the buds actually look like those fluffy buds on a willow tree, I dind't have my camera with me so I couldn't take any pic of the buds, but here's more i took a few days ago

Thanks for your input so far

Its not an ash, they have completely different leaves, I think it is a dogwood. The stem is like willow, but again the leaves are usually narrower.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

That's definitely Willow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

+1 willow. They self seed absolutely everywhere, and grow at speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Could be a goat willow with the broader leaves but I would have thought it would be deeper toothed than it looks...

As someone said see how it flowers/fruits

I'd still put money on dogwood, be interesting to see the flower

+1 for Dogwood.
    This is a different one but look at the leaves. Opposite and curved veins
    cornus_florida_frt800semi2.jpg

But then the 'fluffy buds" = Catkins?
    So it must be a birch
    Betula_albosinensis_var_septentrionalis_RB4.JPG

No the leaves are alternate and veins are straight

But they are serrated......

Its a Dogwood!

• Advertisement

You had me worried there for a minute - then I got to the bottom of the post! I'd give you a 'thanks' but your pic is too big and has put the button off the page!

Your welcome!

I've discovered a flaw in the system, I cannot edit that post either because the picture has pushed all the icons off the bottom of the page!:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Willow for sure - here are some pictures of my Willows - I use them every day!:)

Apologies for the poor quality images :o

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Handy way to help identify dogwood.
    Fold a leaf across the veins until it cracks, gently pull the 2 pieces apart. It the veins remain intact in the gap it's dogwood.

slowburner wrote: »
    Apologies for the poor quality images :o

Hmmm so you should apologise, this is important stuff :D

I may have to reluctantly concede you may be right. We await flowers.

But then the 'fluffy buds" = Catkins?

Catkins that's the word I was looking for, all I could think of was "fluffy buds", I've really been living in Germany too long, I'm forgetting how to speak English :eek:

But, anyway, thanks a bunch folks, I'll take a look in MiL's garden today or tomorrow to see if the bush is flowering, but from what I've seen, I think it might just be a (goat???) willow, it looks a lot like the photos that slowburner posted, but a few of the Dogwood photos I found on the net look pretty convincing too...

..well at least we seemed to have narrowed it down to a choice of two, that a hell of a lot further than I was previously.

Thanks again folks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I thought dogwoods usually have multiple stems growing from the base, as opposed to a single main stem like in the photo.

I'd say willow to.

looksee wrote: »
    Hmmm so you should apologise, this is important stuff :D

I may have to reluctantly concede you may be right. We await flowers.
    I accept your concession, oh Sleuth of the Shrubs, reluctant though it may be.
    ;)

Well done Ophiopogon ( with an honorable mention to Slowburner ) for the correct answer.
    Fluffy Buds?

• Advertisement

HANG ON A MINUTE! Its a bit late in the year for willow to be flowering isn't it? Whereas dogwood...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Oh please let me be right...my plant id has been shocking lately!!!

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Oh please let me be right...my plant id has been shocking lately!!!
    You are, you are, you are.

looksee wrote: »
    HANG ON A MINUTE! Its a bit late in the year for willow to be flowering isn't it? Whereas dogwood...
    I don't think they are flowers at the intersection of the leaves and the stem - they are leaf buds. The picture shows my Willows as they are today: a week or so ago the leaf buds looked just like the buds in the OP's picture.[Embedded Image Removed]

I can offer a (very blurry :() photo of the white buds (catkins???)

A bit blurry alright but even more evidence to support the case for Willow.

Apanachi wrote: »
    I can offer a (very blurry :() photo of the white buds (catkins???)

See link in #21. It appears to be Goat Willow. Your MiL can now get a goat.:)

Your MiL can now get a goat.:)

Oh, I wish she would!!!!

We used to have a pet billy goat when I was a child, he was so cool, I loved him to bits.

Advertisement