Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 Week Checkup

• 11-07-2011 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

My OH took our 6 week old daughter for her 6 week check-up yesterday. Her regular doctor was out so she was with a fill in GP.

All was fine with the little one. During the course of the checkup he told my OH that she would be going on the pill.

My OH thought this must be normal, didn't think too much about it. He even said that if she didn't fancy the pill she could get the injection instead.

She has no physical, medical, psychological or sociological reason to be TOLD to use contraception, especially not the pill.

We don't plan on having any more kids this side of 2013, and we have a healthy 6 year old (from her previous relationship) and a healthy 6 week old, who was planned.

Now I must point out, I am not opposed to her being on the pill, nor are we religious in any way. I am, however, greatly opposed to this doctor telling my OH that she is going on it.

I am furious, was he in the right here and am I over-reacting?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I had a similar conversation with another new mum recently. I felt a lot of pressure to go on the pill by the nurse at 6 wk checkup and any other time I've been in with my son. She was quite dismissive when I said we'll continue to use condoms as our contraception. I told her we used them for 6 years with absolutely no problems.

I want to get pregnant again next year so I'm not going on the pill at 37 as it could affect my fertility. Also I told her I
    hate the pill due to previous issues with it and it would be my last resort as a method of contraception.

Advertisement