Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best cycling apps for i phone & for Android

• 11-07-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Looking at lists of apps here
    ruedatropical.com/2009/02/iphone-cycling-applications/

Just want to know about app reviews, not a discussion on the do's and don'ts of bring a phone on spins.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Big fan of iMapMyRide myself. Use it the whole time and it syncs really well with the web version. The website also shows you a 3D fly through of your route on google earth, which is gimmicky I suppose but it looks cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

I like Endomondo,

http://www.endomondo.com/

It brings the whole social networking thing to it too. So you can challenge your friends etc.

It uploads your spin straight to the website when you finish you can then go and lookat your previous training on the calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I use runkeeper. It cn be used for cycling, running, mountain biking, walking, hiking, anything that moves basically.

Gives you your pace per kilometre, average speed, an interactive map of where you went, gives you audio splits every 5 minutes (or whatever you set it to), and a load of other stuff.

It all uploads to an online profile, here is mine just for an example: http://runkeeper.com/user/killian1/profile

You can also hook your profile up to Earndit where you get points for excercising, that you can redeem for vouchers in sports stores etc (mostly american, but it wont do any harm to build them up)

All in all I think its the best out there, and it's free too. You can get accessories too for heart rate measuring etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I've tried mapmyride and found it frequently wouldn't save the routes that I did and it also made my phone (samsung galaxy s) very slow.

Gave Endomondo a go and am now using runkeeper. I find runkeeper's website the easiest to use and I like their 'street team' concept. However I find that the GPS with runkeeper isn't very accurate for me. Initially I thought it was because I had the phone in my pocket, so I got a sports armband for it and while it is better it is still not as accurate as my friends who is using it with her iphone. Has anyone else found this? As an example, I did a 34km ride last week and runkeeper tracked it as 50km so it is a far way out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

I use a garmin when on the bike so no need for any speedo/gps apps but I can't find anything good for cycling news etc.?

Any good ones?

Surprised CRC or Wiggle don't have an app. Would be handy when you keep meaning to order a chain or brake pads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I recommend cardiotrainer for android

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Sports tracker for android. The muts nuts IMO.

http://www.sports-tracker.com/m/home.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

I've been using Runkeeper since March but have begun to realise it isn't very accurate. Went for a spin from Stillorgan to Ashford on Sunday and mapped the route on MapMyRide first.

MapMyRide had it as 83km
    Runkeeper had it as 73km

Has anyone had any doubts over MapMyRide's accuracy? Thinking of switching over..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Major +1 for Runkeeper

It's excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Rofo wrote: »
    I've been using Runkeeper since March but have begun to realise it isn't very accurate. Went for a spin from Stillorgan to Ashford on Sunday and mapped the route on MapMyRide first.

MapMyRide had it as 83km
    Runkeeper had it as 73km

Has anyone had any doubts over MapMyRide's accuracy? Thinking of switching over..

What type of phone are you using? I have tried both map my ride and runkeeper on my phone (samsung galaxy s) and neither map accuaratley and both over estimate the routes. A friend has an iphone and uses runkeeper and it tracks perfectly. I think my phone is a dud :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Strava. Nice and neat. Doesn't seem to drain the battery as much as other ones I've tried like Mapmyride.

Would still put apps in the novelty bracket and rely mostly on my bike computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Does anyone know where to get a nice neat holder to mount my htc on the stem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I have My Tracks, Runkeeper and iMapMyRide installed on my Samsung Galaxy S. I usually use My Tracks, and it gives you all the usual stats (time, av. speed, elevation gain, max/min gradients etc.) and a few nice graphs of speed & elevation vs distance.
    Although, I have been thinking of switching over to iMapMyRide since I log any new routes manually on their website anyway.
    mel.b wrote: »
    What type of phone are you using? I have tried both map my ride and runkeeper on my phone (samsung galaxy s) and neither map accuaratley and both over estimate the routes. A friend has an iphone and uses runkeeper and it tracks perfectly. I think my phone is a dud :(

What firmware are you running? Android 2.2 (Froyo) was notoriously bad for keeping GPS signal, so that might be why you are getting accuracy problems with your routes using your Galaxy.
    Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) seems to have solved those problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

I've got my own app that i made for blackberry GPSpeedOMeter (screen shots below), it kicks the arse off all those other apps, theres a free version of it that you can download from the app stores or my website.

It uploads to ridewithgps or gpspeedometer.com, my own websites still in the early stages and i havent gotten around to supporting internet explorer 8- (it works on 9) but anyone with firefox ie9 chrome or mac feel free to login to my username and take a look at a few of my trips, to see how it works (heaps more features to be added to it over the next few months)

its http://www.gpspeedometer.com/LoginRegister.aspx and the username is markcroninbsc@yahoo.com and the password is test25 (i dont use that password for anything else so its ok)

Anyway i'm porting the app over to android at the moment, not much time so its a slow process but should be ready to go in a month or so.

Of the other apps i've tried endomondo is probably the most reliable, but its not that good for cycling i dont think, more geared towards running really. any of the other apps that ive tried that show gradient or altitude are crap.

gpsSOM.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

forgot to mention too, if you look at the screenshots there mines got a carbon background so it'll be lighter in your pocket ;) (obviously thats not entirely true)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭cycletheroad

I use GPS MotionX on the road bike and mountain bike and is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 brian807

i use runkeeper for the iphone - i find it fast and easy to use! have imapmyride to but i think the website is geared to monthly subscribers, and is a little confusing!

Advertisement