Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons why you should have owned/should own: The Nintendo Gamecube

Options
  • 11-07-2011 1:10pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the late weekly post. Been moving home and its been nothing short of a struggle

This week we have the Nintendo Gamecube!
    250px-GameCube-Console-Set.png
    The Nintendo GameCube (ニンテンドーゲームキューブ, Nintendō Gēmukyūbu?), officially abbreviated as NGC in Japan[4][5] and GCN in other regions, is Nintendo's fourth home video game console and was part of the sixth generation console era. It was the successor to the Nintendo 64 and predecessor to the Wii.

The Nintendo GameCube was the first Nintendo console to use optical discs as its primary storage medium, after several aborted projects from Nintendo and its partners to utilize optical-based storage media. In contrast with the GameCube's contemporary competitors, the PlayStation 2 and Xbox, the GameCube uses miniDVD-based discs instead of full-size DVDs. Partially as a result of this, it does not have the DVD-Video playback functionality of these systems, nor the audio CD playback ability of other consoles that use full-size optical discs.

In addition, the GameCube introduced a variety of connectivity options to Nintendo consoles, and was the fourth Nintendo console, after the Nintendo 64DD, Famicom Modem and Satellaview, to support online play officially, via the Nintendo GameCube Broadband Adapter and Modem Adapter. It also enabled connectivity to the Game Boy Advance to access exclusive features of certain games or to use the portable system as a controller for the Game Boy Player.

The console was released on September 14, 2001 in Japan, November 18, 2001 in North America, May 3, 2002 in Europe, and May 17, 2002 in Australia. The GameCube sold 21.74 million units worldwide.

So, anyone had one? I loved it. Owned the Metroid Prime games, Pikmin and F-Zero. My personal favourites were Super Monkey Ball 2 and LOZ: 4 Swords though.

The controller is so comfortable to hold too, plus they can be used on the Wii :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I had one when it came out and I have no idea where it is now. It basically disappeared off the face of the earth after i moved house. Still have all the games and get the urge to throw on Resi Evil or Zelda whenever i see them.
    Great console, and i don't care what anyone say's i thought the controller was perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

The controller was definitely one of the highlights, a beautifully ergonomic controller. Plus they delivered the Wavebird, which was the first wireless controller (AFAIK). That was brilliant too.

Some great games on it, ones that stand out in my memory would be Eternal Darkness, Resi 4 and Viewtiful Joe. Some other crackers too.

Very under-rated system and I'd go as far as to suggest I'd buy the new Nintendo Console day one if they confirmed that they'd have all the Gamecube catalogue available to digitally download onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Loved the resident evil remake and resident evil 4, but didnt like smash bros or any of those sort of games, so in general i found there's no way it could compete with the awesome selection of games on the PS2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron was awesome. I don't care about the haters but Zelda: The Wind Waker was fantastic.

PS2 was always the single player console, better selection of games like mgs and gta but gamecube was always multi player with a few friends around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Still play 4 player Mario Kart and Resident Evil 4 on my silver one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

PS2 was always the single player console, better selection of games like mgs and gta but gamecube was always multi player with a few friends around.

I hardly think PS2 was single-player.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Absolutely amazing machine. Its only problem was that compared the PS2 there weren't as many good games. However as a second console to compliment the PS2 it was amazing and the amount of amazing exclusives on the machine made it well worth it and a damn sight better than the Xbox. Some of the best games of that generation came out on the machine. Metroid Prime was stunning but unfortunately didn't get the attention it deserved. Resident Evil 4 was one of the best action games ever made and was so much better on the gamecube than the PS2. I don't think any racing game will ever beat F-zero GX.

Other classics are Paper Mario 2, Pikmin 1 and 2, Super Mario Sunshine, Resi Remake, Smash Bros., Chibi Robo, Battalion Wars, Wind Waker, Four Swords, Baten Kaitos 1 and 2, Tales of Symphonia, Luigi's Mansion, MK Double Dash, Pac Man Vs., Fire Emblem, 1080 Avalanche, Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, Harvest Moon, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. There's Eternal Darkness as well although I thought the atmosphere and story were good but the gameplay sucked.

Also had the definitive version of Soul Calibur 2.

Graphically it was far more powerful than the PS2 and it had a much better controller than the poor dual shock.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also had the definitive version of Soul Calibur 2.

Definitely. I spent many countless hours playing that game. I also had the imported Animal Crossing. What an amazing game at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Great machine. Many a day spent playing Super Monkey Ball with the lads around and a few cans.
    Got a lot of alone time with it too with the likes of Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, F-Zero GX (also a laugh in multiplayer) and while it's not everyone's favourite, I really enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine - some great level design.
    Still play my gamecube games on the Wii, I think that shows the strength of some of the games.

• Advertisement

Spunge wrote: »
    I hardly think PS2 was single-player.

It wasn't but it was the way i always viewed both consoles, id stick with ps2 for single players games and a few friends around it was always straight to the gamecube.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

It has a handle. A HANDLE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

My son has one. My OH found one on ebay a few years ago and bought it for him. He still plays it. Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion were ones I ended up playing too! He's a massive star wars fan so we managed to get a few of those games for him too and he loves them. Thy're not easy to come by but my OH has a talent for finding obscure and hard to get items. Great console.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I loved it, still do, rogue squadron, zelda and mario kart were my favourites by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

My least favorite nintendo console... after the wii ofc. It just lacked games, at when compared to the PS2, and im probably one of few that hated the controller. Had a few great games tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it had far more good games than the N64, or at least far more good games that are still playable and haven't aged horribly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

PS
    Magill wrote: »
    My least favorite nintendo console... after the wii ofc. It just lacked games, at when compared to the PS2, and im probably one of few that hated the controller. Had a few great games tho.

At the time it came out I couldn't afford many games so it didn't make much difference to me as the ones I got were all quality IMO. I just think it was worth the money for the few classics that it had.

CramCycle wrote: »
    PS

At the time it came out I couldn't afford many games so it didn't make much difference to me as the ones I got were all quality IMO. I just think it was worth the money for the few classics that it had.

Definately, i bought it just for Zelda and Resident Evil remakes, everything else was just a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Rogue squadron :D

That game was brilliant. Worth owning a GC just for that. And the cube is still home to the best Resi of all time, REmake. (no, not RE4, thats a good game but it is a resi game in name only)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got it purely for Tales of Symphonia,what a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Funny that this thread would be started today. I had a Gamecube delivered today. Got a boxed one in excellent condition on eBay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It has the finest controller of any modern console, and anyone who says the Dualshock is better has merely been brainwashed by Sony :P

I spent a lot of time in Animal Crossing one year, and now am filled with remorse everytime I look at that beautiful purple box and think how many weeds have populated my once prosperous town.

I do credit the GC and more specifically Wind Waker with getting me back into gaming after a brief period of disillusionment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Had one, still have it set up. It had some great games, Resi4 and Eternal Darkness were my favourites. LoZ:WW was a fantastic game, my favourite in the series.
    Metroid Prime 2 was an epic game and I spent many hours playing through it. It was a real shame they did not improve on the multiplayer though.

I honestly did not enjoy many other games other the one I listed. The console tended to get inferior ports of xbox/PS2 games. For example, the Matrix game came on two discs and was buggy as hell.

It had some interesting features, such as the GBA connection. However with poor game support, bar pokemon games and LoZ: Four Swords, it was a waste to buy the cable. Furthermore, the GBA player unfortunately could not be used as a substitute for a GBA.

Imo, the console would have had a greater potential to have done well the market if it attracted better third part support, maybe by increasing the disc space and adding DVD player support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

ShaneU wrote: »
    It has a handle. A HANDLE.

At least ya didn't have to get a new one every time the thing broke...which was never.

Yeah, had this and loved it. All games on it previously mentioned were smashin but my rose tinted glasses have a special tint toward F-Zero GX. Maybe it's that I haven't seen a racer since that was as gorgeous and playable at the same time, I don't know...but I really want something like this on my 3DS now...any F-Zero would do.

Other favourites of mine were Timesplitters 2, Rouge Squadron III, Extreme-G, Viewtiful Joe, Resi 4, the Metroids, the Burnouts, the Conflict:Desert Storms, the Lord of the Rings ones, The PacMan Vs freebie that came with RidgeRacer (R:Racing)....ahhhh fond memories...

Oh and ....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEHIL9BDk8U

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Damn this Thread.
    Now i have to un-retire the GC and have a good oul game of Zelda and PN03

titlescreen1.jpg

CORaven wrote: »
    For example, the Matrix game came on two discs and was buggy as hell.

That game was buggy as hell and **** no matter what you played it on.

I found the third party ports were quite good actually, usually better than the PS2 since the GC was so easy for developers to produce games on. However it wasn't a console you got for the multiplatform games, it was all about the glorious exclusives. I would have been annoyed with the GC if it was the only console I had but as a compliment to the PS2 it was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Rogue squadron :D

I started playing that again last week and it hasn't aged well. Once you get past the first 15 minutes of 'holy crap, I'm in an X-Wing', it's bland, hugely repetitive with a difficulty curve that's all over the place.

On the other hand, the Rogue Squadron 3 pre-order freebie disc remains brilliant, with a perfectly emultated version of the wireframe arcade original Star Wars game.

As for the Gamecube, well there's no real reason to own one now with the Wii playing all it's games but there are still many great games for it. The Gamecube version of Twilight Princess is much better than the Wii one, doing away with the tacked-on motion controls.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

CORaven wrote: »
    The console tended to get inferior ports of xbox/PS2 games.

I completely and utterly disagree. The Gamecube got superior versions imo. A lot of multi platform games got 4 player split screen on the Gamecube and not on the PS2/Xbox, for example 007 Agent Under Fire. Great great with 4 players and one of the many multi platform games I had on the Gamecube. Medal of Honor Frontlines was another one.

The only thing inferior to the other two consoles was the video playback. Since the discs had smaller storage space, they skimped on the video cutscenes for some very poor quality playbacks. I'm not complaining though, the GC got extra multiplayer features.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I have one but it didn't see much action, loved Resident Evil on it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Wind Waker is my favourite Zelda game! There, I said it!

Loved my GC and I still remember the reason I bought it. I saw a screenshot of Chris Redfield using a flamethrower in the REmake. The detail in the flames... Instabuy. Never once regretted it!

Advertisement