Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons why you should have owned/should own: The Nintendo Gamecube

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Squadron were my favourites by far. Great console and even better controller.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

All this talk has me on ebay looking up the games i couldn't afford at the time, rogue squadron 3 + resident evil here I come.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I completely and utterly disagree. The Gamecube got superior versions imo. A lot of multi platform games got 4 player split screen on the Gamecube and not on the PS2/Xbox, for example 007 Agent Under Fire. Great great with 4 players and one of the many multi platform games I had on the Gamecube. Medal of Honor Frontlines was another one.

You sure it wasn't 4 player on the Xbox as well? The Xbox usually got the superior ports with the GC second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Cherry, I am fairly sure that generally any multiplayer features that were on the GC were also on the xbox. The PS2 features may have been dropped due to the need of a multitap.
    Third party support was generally poor as I remember that alot of the big games, such as GTA was not released on the console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If multiplayer was dropped it was because the PS2 didn't have the power to run it smoothly, nothing to do with the need for a multitap.

• Advertisement

Anyway thinking back here are a couple of other crackers I played at mates houses that deserve a mention if they haven't been already:

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
    Super Monkey ball 2
    Killer 7
    Timesplitters 2
    Viewtiful Joe
    Eternal Darkness

Are my memories correct or am I sugar coating them?

Viewtiful Joe was the first game in my house were my younger sibling proved more adept than me. I left home soon after due to the shame.

Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes isn't great. The cutscenes are absolutely terrible and way too over the top, the voice acting is rerecorded and not as good and shoe horning the MGS2 gameplay into MGS1 makes the game far too easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

henshin a go go baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I used to love using the action replay after i had cleared a game:D,was excellent being mauled by loads of zombies in resi remake and the suddenly boom blast them all away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

CramCycle wrote: »
    Anyway thinking back here are a couple of other crackers I played at mates houses that deserve a mention if they haven't been already:

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
    Super Monkey ball 2
    Killer 7
    Timesplitters 2
    Viewtiful Joe
    Eternal Darkness

Are my memories correct or am I sugar coating them?

Viewtiful Joe was the first game in my house were my younger sibling proved more adept than me. I left home soon after due to the shame.

I never played that game,what was that like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

I found eternal darkness to be excellent, from what i remember it was out before resi evil 4 so never got comparisons due to being a survival horror game, there attempt at making it more pyschological really worked though imo.

I never played that game,what was that like.

Eternal darkness was only seen at my mates house but it looked awesome at the time, it kind of died a death among us though as it was SP only and I forgot to borrow it off him. Considering how great it appeared to be I may go and look for it now. It was a third person view and was freaky as hell, good story from the bits i recollect as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Jazzy wrote: »
    henshin a go go baby!

nuff said..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I adore this console, always have. It still has a place beside my telly. Super Mario Sunshine is amongst the most brilliant time-killers I've encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I remember playing Eternal Darkness late at night and freaking out at one particular fright moment (the
    bathtub scene
    ).

The Gamecube was a great console. I always got GC versions over PS2; they were just better! All of the exclusives have been namechecked already.

The Resident Evil exclusivity was what prompted me to buy the console initially, I remember seeing screenshots of REmake in Nintendo Official Magazine and thinking "I want". I remember being surprised by the console's low price when I bought it and Rogue Squadron 2 at launch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

oh and FALCON PUUUUNNNNNCHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think it had far more good games than the N64, or at least far more good games that are still playable and haven't aged horribly.

Doesnt really matter to me if they've aged horribly, at the time they were awesome.. i dont live in the past, i have enough of a backlog of PS3 games to get through, never mind playing old classics(The countless hours i put into Goldeneye/Mario/zelda etc orginally is enough for me).
    At the time it came out I couldn't afford many games so it didn't make much difference to me as the ones I got were all quality IMO. I just think it was worth the money for the few classics that it had.

At the time game piracy was massive, the 13 year old me didnt care so i was spending any money i got down in Jonesborough every sunday !! Good times...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If multiplayer was dropped it was because the PS2 didn't have the power to run it smoothly, nothing to do with the need for a multitap.

Haha, you just blurt the stuff out like fact!

I think the controller looks horrible, although I did like the N64 controller when I used.

Never played a gamecube, whats OOT like on the GameCube? Does it look any better than the N64 version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

My friend had one , remember playing super monkey ball for the first time , serious fun.

noodler wrote: »
    Haha, you just blurt the stuff out like fact!

I can't confirm it of course but it's pretty obvious that it's the reason why they did it. So you think they cut the multiplayer out because not many people had a multitap or for the more realistic reason that they didn't include a feature that was already in the code because they couldn't get it running at a playable speed on the PS2 considering it was fairly ropey of two far more powerful machines.
    Never played a gamecube, whats OOT like on the GameCube? Does it look any better than the N64 version?

Looks much better. The framerate doesn't drop as much, it runs in a much higher resolution and there's proper anti aliasing as opposed to the N64's disgusting blur-o-vision anti aliasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I think the controller looks horrible, although I did like the N64 controller when I used.

Notice how similar the 360's controller is?!

OoT is exactly the same as the N64 version, the Wind Waker bonus disc has the Master Quest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Shadow Mozez

Didnt the game cube last 6months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Resident Evil:Remake

I'm aware you can get it on the Wii as part of a classics, but feels more like a backward compatability type of thing when you play it on a Wii. You need the original console to get the best experience :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Donkey Konga 2 player duels. </thread>

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Most unique gaming experience I've had was on the aul GC. I got the Japanese version of Four Swords which had an absolutely bonkers extra game (Tetra's Trackers?) that saw 4 people hooked up via GBAs scramble around an obstacle filled map trying to get items that were called out bingo style by the announcer. The Japanese commentary was hilarious and the phrase "Luckeeeee Timeh!!!" is ingrained on my psyche forever more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

how i loved my little black console with the handbag handle.. Mario Party was sheer perfection, mario kart was brilliant, and holy sh!t Resi 4, that was mindblowing!

How much did the lack of a DVD player hold it back? Like, a lot of my friends at the time plumped for the PS2 for its DVD playback abilities.

Advertisement