Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMTP on Localhost

Options
  • 11-07-2011 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up an SMTP mail server on my localhost so I can register fake users and receive email notifications. I'm using XAMPP. I can't figure out the settings at all and now I think I may even need to have my computer's original XP installation cds to set it up. Anyone have any ideas please? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

In XP it's a part of IIS (Internet Information Services), you'll need to install IIS and include the SMTP services in it's options. From what I remember you do this by going to Add/Remove Programs, then Add/Remove Windows Components. You'll need to browse through this to find IIS, then select it and press Details, SMTP Service will be one of the subcomponents you can click. You'll probably need the CD for this, and you'll need to be running XP pro.

To configure SMTP use the IIS Manager in Administrative Tools. You'll need to set some properties on the service itself first by right-clicking 'Default SMTP Virtual Server' and going to properties. On the access tab you'll need to set whatever authentication mechanism you need (anonymous is easiest), and you'll need to give relay permissions as well.

You'll then need to add any domains you want to send mails to, right-click on Domains and choose New->Domain, select Remote, and give it a name (e.g. gmail.com). You'll then want to allow relay to it, right-click the domain and select properties and choose to Allow incoming mail to be relayed. You may also want to set outbound security depending on the domain you're sending to (but try anonymous first, this is mainly if you want to route through another relay). Repeat this for any domains you want to send mail to, there's probably some easy way to just allow all, but I've never needed that so not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

I managed this using a modified version of sendmail which allowed me to use an internet provider such as yahoo smtp or gmail smtp to send the emails on my behalf. It works very well. I can't find the thread I wrote up on it, but this is similar enough http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/guides-tutorials/application-guides/544-configuring-php-under-windows-use-gmail-external-smtp-server-ssl.html

Advertisement