Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courtyard Bar and Grill

Options
  • 11-07-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Anyone been to the new restaurant, the Courtyard Bar and Grill in McDonagh Junction yet,whats it like?need to find a new place for lunch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

mad expensive from what i hear from people who work in McDonagh Junction over 11e for a burger and chips. Makes eddie rockets look good :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

Yes I have been in there, very expensive wouldnt be making a return trip. Some of the staff have attitude also so not a great start for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I haven't been home in a while so I was just wondering where exactly in MacDonagh this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ergonomics wrote: »
    I haven't been home in a while so I was just wondering where exactly in MacDonagh this is?

In the Food Court area i.e. the Workhouse square. All the other coffee shops are around there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rubysnap

I've had a couple of things on the menu now, the food is great, much better than other places around. I thought it was good value for what you get, full dinners for about a tenner and lots of choice for starters etc. at good prices too. I'll def be back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

rubysnap wrote: »
    I've had a couple of things on the menu now, the food is great, much better than other places around. I thought it was good value for what you get, full dinners for about a tenner and lots of choice for starters etc. at good prices too. I'll def be back!

Great 1st post

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

2 people registered just so they could sing the praises of this place.... make of that what you will, but it makes me want to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Maybe we should do a boards review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I must try it there, I've heard a good few positive things about it so I shall be trying it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Licksy wrote: »
    2 people registered just so they could sing the praises of this place.... make of that what you will, but it makes me want to avoid.

I really need to hear the opinion of a third first-poster to make my mind up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

I've only eaten there twice but I would recommend it. I know it's not the cheapest but I don't think you would get the same standard of food at that price anywhere nearby.( especially not in the junction anyway) Saying that tho I think it would be better if they had tables and canopies out the back too for the smokers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I ate in there on Sunday.

Its ok, it is very expensive though and the menu is not very extensive.

The food is grand but its probably presented a bit "upmarket" for a food court of a shopping center though, everything is smothered in pesto and olive oil.

I got the burger and whatever sauce they had piled on it was not to my taste.

The wedges/chips are quite nice though :)

I probably won't be going back to be honest.

PaulKK wrote: »
    I ate in there on Sunday.

Its ok, it is very expensive though and the menu is not very extensive.

The food is grand but its probably presented a bit "upmarket" for a food court of a shopping center though, everything is smothered in pesto and olive oil.

I got the burger and whatever sauce they had piled on it was not to my taste.

The wedges/chips are quite nice though :)

I probably won't be going back to be honest.

How expensive Paul? I'm thinking 10/11 euro max? And that's comparable with most hotels around for lunch. The last thing Macdonagh needs is an expensive restaurant i think anyhow.

mfitzy wrote: »
    How expensive Paul? I'm thinking 10/11 euro max? And that's comparable with most hotels around for lunch. The last thing Macdonagh needs is an expensive restaurant i think anyhow.

Think it was around 13 quid a meal, it was around 30 for the 2 meals and a drink.
    For a burger and chips its expensive enough..

I'm not saying its expensive for a hotel meal, but in fairness its the foodcourt in a shopping centre :)

All the places in there are expensive though, I work near a quigleys for example and its 8 something for a takeaway soup and sandwich.

Think it was around 13 quid a meal, it was around 30 for the 2 meals and a drink.
    For a burger and chips its expensive enough..

I'm not saying its expensive for a hotel meal, but in fairness its the foodcourt in a shopping centre :)

All the places in there are expensive though, I work near a quigleys for example and its 8 something for a takeaway soup and sandwich.

Yea that is expensive for a shopping centre like ya say. I must give it a try though. It sounds like a city centre type restaurant stuck in the wrong place to be honest. Pity, there's still little enough choice in the so-called "food court" so. O'briens probably best of a bad lad.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Yea that is expensive for a shopping centre like ya say. I must give it a try though. It sounds like a city centre type restaurant stuck in the wrong place to be honest. Pity, there's still little enough choice in the so-called "food court" so. O'briens probably best of a bad lad.

Yea exactly, it is really in the wrong place for what it is.

Even something like the esquires coffee on High st would be better in there where you can sit down and get a nice hot sandwich or pannini or whatever for 7 or 8 euro.

If you do try it I hope your not allergic to olive oil, everything was swimming in it!

Yea exactly, it is really in the wrong place for what it is.

Even something like the esquires coffee on High st would be better in there where you can sit down and get a nice hot sandwich or pannini or whatever for 7 or 8 euro.

If you do try it I hope your not allergic to olive oil, everything was swimming in it!

Lol, thanks for the tip...love olive oil! They needed something like that KK cafe in Market Cross, just middle of the road food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I dined there today after reading about the place here and found the staff pleasant and professional, the food was prompt in its arrival and very nicely prepared and presented.

I paid a tenner for the main course. I don't think that's unreasonable, I have paid a tenner for a lot worse over the years.

(I have no connection to or knowledge of who owns the place)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Sky King wrote: »
    I dined there today after reading about the place here and found the staff pleasant and professional, the food was prompt in its arrival and very nicely prepared and presented.

I paid a tenner for the main course. I don't think that's unreasonable, I have paid a tenner for a lot worse over the years.

(I have no connection to or knowledge of who owns the place)

Yeah was sitting in Quigleys? (think that was the name of it) coffee shop beside there and noticed around 3 daily specials on the board outside the CBG for 9.95 so didn't look too bad pricewise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

They mus have dropped their prices a bit because when I took a look at the menu board after it opened, the food was dearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 spudtastic

long time reader first time poster,, Sitting in the CBG with the laptop so gave it a search. I had the daily special roast beef for ten squid. It was very tasty and I think it was good value. The staff are friendly as the lad who seems to be the manager (South African/ Aussie accent!!) gave me free coffee top up with the full plunger which was a nice touch. Overall I thought it was friendly and relaxing. Will be returning again.
    I've nothing to do with any owners
    Now the coffee has hit the system and i must go destroy the toilets.

Went there during the week, got the 9.95 special of the days. Correct about the swimming in olive oil. It kinda dulled the flavor a bit. It's no where in comparison the MCB tearooms for value.

On the plus it's probably the most comfortable place in MDJ although the main room is like an echo chamber, a dropped knife hitting the floor sounds like a bell beside your ear.

Won't be back I think. It all feels like it belongs in that bullsh*t exclusive Ireland of the mid 00s. For f**k sake Norah Jones on loop!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

spudtastic wrote: »
    long time reader first time poster,, Sitting in the CBG with the laptop so gave it a search. I had the daily special roast beef for ten squid. It was very tasty and I think it was good value. The staff are friendly as the lad who seems to be the manager (South African/ Aussie accent!!) gave me free coffee top up with the full plunger which was a nice touch. Overall I thought it was friendly and relaxing. Will be returning again.

:) Must bring my laptop to Zunis this evening. Will let ye all know how I get on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

blackdog2 wrote: »
    I really need to hear the opinion of a third first-poster to make my mind up
    Looks like you got your wish.
    spudtastic wrote: »

Does anyone else find it appropriate there was a bull on the old Irish shilling?

1954_irish_shilling.jpg

Just saying.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

another thing, one of the two guys was on a laptop while I was there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    another thing, one of the two guys was on a laptop while I was there.

Was it anything like this?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Actually tried this place out today and was impressed. Chicken curry with a kick.... good service also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

Ok so I was critical when the courtyard first opened and decided after reading all the good reviews of it on here I would give it a second shot. So today 2/11/2011 at 1.33 I went in for lunch, took a seat at a dirty table all the empty tables where as they were waiting to be cleaned. At 1.50 I asked for a menu as at least 3 staff members had passed me and not 1 even acknowledged me.
    I waited a further 5 minutes for the menu and when I was given the menu the girl couldn't tell me the specials, so after almost 24 minutes and still not served I decided to leave. I went elsewhere in the centre for soup and sandbow and can't help but wonder how this place can stay open or is it just me that has bad experiences in this place. I for one won't be back and from what I can see now from where I am sitting nor will many others. It is just gone 2 and they have 80% of the front seating empty yet they havea red barrier p and turning people away. If the staff can't cope get ones that can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ritchie Mc

I've had coffee and scones there a good few times and no complaints, nice coffee and lovely scones, and good value too.

Had dinner with family there on Saturday night, came way full and must say the stake was the nicest I had in a long time. And it is a lovely setting on these dark evenings.

Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

Ritchie Mc wrote: »
    I've had coffee and scones there a good few times and no complaints, nice coffee and lovely scones, and good value too.

Had dinner with family there on Saturday night, came way full and must say the stake was the nicest I had in a long time. And it is a lovely setting on these dark evenings.

Highly recommended.

Ritchie are you some sort of vampire? was the stake polished wood with a nice point. Or was the stake left over from Halloween? :):)

Advertisement